• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I started my new playthrough of Xenoblade 2 for real this time. Now knowing how the Blade gacha works, I popped open the two Legendary Cores the DLC gives you (the DLC actually gives you 17 but I only need two for now) to see what pity group I have. The second Legendary Core gave me this

2020120123180100-659B13F48903294AE2B3FA4

Which means that I most likely have pity group 4.

Finch is cute, having her this early is a boon. I say this because she's the worst Shield Hammer Blade and Shield Hammers are the worst weapon in the game (note for any newcomers: no Blade is actually bad, how good a Blade is really will only matter for the hardest battles in the Land of Challenge and Bringer of Chaos).

But hey, we take those.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

F

In Stardew Valley when you’re exploring the mines, the primary goal is to find the ladder that goes to the next floor by breaking rocks until it is revealed, but you can’t do this forever because of it gets too late into the night your character will pass out. Every five new floors discovered you unlock the elevator at that level to take you back down there and I had literally JUST unearthed the ladder to floor 20 when my guy decided being up at 2 am was just absolutely intolerable.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

In Stardew Valley when you’re exploring the mines, the primary goal is to find the ladder that goes to the next floor by breaking rocks until it is revealed, but you can’t do this forever because of it gets too late into the night your character will pass out. Every five new floors discovered you unlock the elevator at that level to take you back down there and I had literally JUST unearthed the ladder to floor 20 when my guy decided being up at 2 am was just absolutely intolerable.

Yeah, it's similar in RF4. The hecking doctor there bled me of over 20k. That's a lot for where I was at that point...

Edited by Benice

Interesting to see how much Stardew Valley pulled/copied from Story of Seasons/Rune Factory in its mechanics. I mean, farming sims generally emulate each other, but Stardew Valley seems like it's incredibly similar to its spiritual predecessors.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Interesting to see how much Stardew Valley pulled/copied from Story of Seasons/Rune Factory in its mechanics. I mean, farming sims generally emulate each other, but Stardew Valley seems like it's incredibly similar to its spiritual predecessors.

"Stardew Valley originally began as a modern fan-made alternative to the Harvest Moon series, as he (Eric Barone, the one man who made the entire game) felt "the series had gotten progressively worse after Harvest Moon: Back to Nature".[9] Unable to find a satisfactory replacement, Barone began to create a game similar to the series, stating that his intent was "to address the problems I had with Harvest Moon" and that "no title in the series ever brought it all together in a perfect way".[4] Barone was also inspired by other games, including Animal Crossing, Rune Factory, Minecraft, and Terraria, adding features seen in those games such as crafting, quests, and combat.[4][10][11]"

Copied from Wikipedia. 

Although, you'd have to call the guy something of an elitist if he deems Back to Nature the peak of the SoS franchise. That was the PS1 game from 1999. And no, me playing an update to the GBA version of that game doesn't make me elitist, I left SoS not out of dislike but a benign parting, and I chose to return with it because it's familiar.

15 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, it's similar in RF4. The hecking doctor there bled me of over 20k. That's a lot for where I was at that point...

Oh really? When you pass out from it being too late/being exhausted, you barely get charged at all.

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

From what I played of Stardew, you were most likely to pass out from stamina running out than staying up too late.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

American healthcare moment.

I don't think RF4 has a limit as to how long you can stay awake tho.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Stardew Valley is one of those indie games that's designed to be a sort of spiritual successor. A lot of these tend to get popular (relatively), even among fans of the base inspiration. Gunvolt, Bloodstained, Wargroove, just to name a few. That Bug Fables game is another example, being popular among Paper Mario fans who don't like the current direction of the series (even tho Origami King is a major sleeper hit).

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Stardew Valley is one of those indie games that's designed to be a sort of spiritual successor. A lot of these tend to get popular (relatively), even among fans of the base inspiration. Gunvolt, Bloodstained, Wargroove, just to name a few. That Bug Fables game is another example, being popular among Paper Mario fans who don't like the current direction of the series (even tho Origami King is a major sleeper hit).

I have heard so many mixed opinions on Origami King. I had originally planned to not pick it up, but with Amazon sales near the holidays, it's pretty tempting, ngl.

After Sticker Star and Color Splash though...eh...

12 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

After Sticker Star and Color Splash though...eh...

promise you it's not like those games at all. 

I feel like if Sticker Star and Color Splash didn't exist and Origami King came out after Super, people would not be wary of it like they are now. Sticker Star and Color Splash left such a bad taste in people's mouths (understandably so) but Origami King doesn't deserve to suffer for it.

Edited by Armagon

I do have to wonder if the people who actually like Gunvolt never did take off that immortality item Gunvolt has equipped at the start.

Because a fast sidescrolling platformer running at 29 fps? The game never feels good to control. It just causes headaches after a short time.

Supposedly the game was made by the folks behind Megaman Zero and ZX. But while Zero 1 and ZX 1 were bad, they always got the most basic stuff right. Movement felt good. Combat felt good. Framerate was buttery smooth.
Zero 1 was my first Mega Man game, maybe the worst possible entry point in the franchise, and I wouldn't have been able to bang my head often enough against the wall to beat it if controlling Zero didn't always feel good, even if I didn't make any progress. So no idea what happened with Gunvolt.

Edited by BrightBow

I really shouldn’t keep playing for quite a while when I’m “close” to a good stopping point in this game. I’ve only just stopped playing now, at midnight, because I made it to fall and finished the dance of the moonlight jellies event.

Which I’m thankful wasn’t an actual romantic dance, because like... Abigail, Penny, and Leah?? How is a man supposed to choose from those three?? All top tier, although I think I’m leaning Leah... but then Penny pops into my head, and so does Abigail! I can’t decide!

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

From what I played of Stardew, you were most likely to pass out from stamina running out than staying up too late.

Indeed, although you have those odd cases like me where I conserve my energy to specifically not pass out and end up being up til 2 am anyway.

10 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I do have to wonder if the people who actually like Gunvolt never did take off that immortality item Gunvolt has equipped at the start.

I don't take it off (aside from getting the true end in the first game) because my reflexes aren't that good and some of the boss specials, I have no idea how to perfectly avoid.

But I still try to get through it without getting hit as much as possible for the rank (Gunvolt's probably like the only series out there where I actually give a shit about rank).

11 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Because a fast sidescrolling platformer running at 29 fps? The game never feels good to control. It just causes headaches after a short time.

I'm one of those people who legitimately can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps but tbf, the first two Gunvolt games were for the 3DS. The versions on Switch are just a straight port pretty much.

Luminous Avenger iX actually does run at 60 fps and Gunvolt 3 is most likely running on 60 fps as well.

But yeah, I never had any problems with how the Gunvolt games play. It's all so satisfying to me. And yeah, I've also played the Zero games (but not ZX, still gotta get to those).

Funny thing is, Gunvolt is the game that basically taught me the concept of framerates. It just wasn't something I had any awareness for, until I tried this game and it instantly felt like garbage despite pretty much carrying over sprite size, jump height and dash distance straight from Megaman Zero. I still had my copy of the Megaman Zero collection for DS, so I could go from one game to the other to see just how silky smooth Zero was by comparison.

Edited by BrightBow

11 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Funny thing is, Gunvolt is the game that basically taught me the concept of framerates. It just wasn't something I had any awareness for, until I tried this game and it instantly felt like garbage despite pretty much carrying over sprite size, jump height and dash distance straight from Megaman Zero. I still had my copy of the Megaman Zero collection for DS, so I could go from one game to the other to see just how silky smooth Zero was by comparison.

Yeah, definitely a you thing (well there's a lot of people who can't stand 30 fps in action games but you get what I mean).

It's like in Bloodstained. I know that the Switch version runs at 30 fps while the other versions run at 60, but I played the PS4 version at a friend's house once and I honest to God could not tell the difference.

But anyway, if framerate is an issue, then give Luminous Avenger iX a try because that one actually is 60 fps. It's also more of a Mega Man X spiritual successor than a Mega Man Zero because Gunvolt is not playable in it.

Honestly, I think what it is that my brain just adapts to framerates. I think that's probably true for people who just can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

I'd like to survey people about this actually, I'm curious.

Edited by Armagon

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Honestly, I think what it is that my brain just adapts to framerates. I think that's probably true for people who just can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

I'd like to survey people about this actually, I'm curious.

Nah I can for sure notice the difference of FPS jumps. 

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I'm so confused, nothing makes sense anymore. Am I surrounded by heretics, or...*camera zooms into his face for dramatic purposes*...am I the heretic!?! 

Yes