• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

VTuber... game? Huh. What would you do in one of those..?

Well the description on Steam says it's a "music-based hack-and-slash".

On paper that sounds interesting but spin-off Neptunia is very hit-or-miss so we'll see.

The Berwick devs most certainly realized that armors wouldn't be very useful for the player. Marcel is the character who fills that niche, but he isn't an Armor but a Knight. So while his movement is lowered to match those of armors, he has a better movement type and isn't affected by Hammers. Sure, there is Derrick. But the game is not all that subtle about him being a joke unit.

I think Marcel's biggest problem is that Clifford exists. Clifford has Shieldfaire just like he does, so his blocks are similarly reliable. And needless to say, Clifford can do a ton of other stuff besides taking hits.
Of course Marcel isn't exactly the only character who struggles to carve out a niche because of Clifford.

Wait, does Clifford have Arrowbane too? I don't recall him having it...

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well the description on Steam says it's a "music-based hack-and-slash".

Sounds kinda fun, actually.

Also, does anyone here have Ring-Fit adventure? I was considering saving up for it.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Wait, does Clifford have Arrowbane too? I don't recall him having it...

No, he doesn't. So that's something that Elbert got for himself at least.

But while Arrowbane is nice, you don't want to make your survival dependent on 33% hit rates.

20 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Marcel is the character who fills that niche, but he isn't an Armor but a Knight.

....oh in Berwick, Armors and Knights are two different things. That's......strange.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

If Berwick shields weren't RNG... oh god, black shield would be a nightmare to deal with. 

It might as well, since Black Riders have all excellent shield rank anyway. They rarely fail to block.

What's more important is that reflection damage only triggers at 0 range.

Maybe shields should be done as SRW does it.

For mechas that allow for it, they have a Shield skill that when activated halves any incoming damage. Barring exceptions like the "pierce all defensive stuff" Seishin. It comes in levels, max level nine, and the activating rate is X/16 chance. Shield skill levels are gained by level up for the most part (and not everyone gets to reach level nine).

10 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

They are different things in Fire Emblem too. NoA just shorted Armor Knight to Knight for some reason.

I know Cavaliers are Social Knights in Japanese hence Knights having "Armor" in front of their name to differentiate but with "Cavalier" being the English name, "Armor" was no longer needed.

So to clarify, is Marcel a Cavalier that just happens to have the defenses and movement of a Knight?

Edited by Armagon

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So to clarify, is Marcel a Cavalier that just happens to have the defenses and movement of a Knight?

He works like a regular knight, but his class is slightly different from Berwick's standard knights. He's not vulnerable to hammers and his movement penalties are slightly more lenient.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

That said, SRW has experimented with their usage of shields.

Like, in SRW A shields were more like a second HP bar. They didn't reduced incoming damage (I think, maybe they still did, but I can't remember, been so long since I played it last) so at most it was just a small boost to HP. Though they were upgradeable to expand that HP boost.

Then there's SRW Impact and SRW MX, which instead had them only be usable an X number of times per stage (also an upgradeable thing, iirc), on the tradeoff they always activated until their uses ran out. Good to not rely on the RNG for it. Bad (or Good if you're the one exploiting it) since it means shield uses can get wasted halving paltry attacks.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's a movement type. It's what determines movement cost and therelike.

Marcel being a Knight puts him in the same category as most dismounted Cavalry.
It's not a great movement type by any means. As far as movement types for foot units go, Thief, Light Infantry and Infantry are all better. But it does offer some key advantage over the Armor type. Armor types cannot move through a lot of terrain at all. Sand, Swamp and especially Shallows. Derrick would get stuck in a lot of maps. Especially if you need a shallow to cross a river. But as a Knight, Marcel can at least get almost everywhere... eventually.

He still can't get up cliffs. Knight types can climb cliff, but they need 4 movement for it. Since Marcel's movement is reduced to 3 until he reaches level 15, he is just as stuck as an actual Armor in that situation.

Edited by BrightBow

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He works like a regular knight, but his class is slightly different from Berwick's standard knights. He's not vulnerable to hammers and his movement penalties are slightly more lenient.

Ah, now I get it.

I will say, if they were gonna go as far as to make Marcel act like an Armor but not really, they should've just made him an Armor to begin with. But at least he fills a niche.

Could've been worse, could've gone the "let's take a class and just split it in three" route that FE4 and RD did. I'm talking about shit like "Fire Mage, Wind Mage, Thunder Mage", which were definitely made for the simple sake of having more classes.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I will say, if they were gonna go as far as to make Marcel act like an Armor but not really, they should've just made him an Armor to begin with. But at least he fills a niche.

He does have one distinct advantage over knights: he's fabulous.

S6dc1chs o

Look at that sprite. I'm not sure why he holds his sword like that, but I love it.

School is being closed for the day tomorrow due to probable snow. Only because elementary schools are in person and since they’re not going, they want everyone else to not have to bother, for everyone else’s sake (supposedly), which is nice.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

School is being closed for the day tomorrow due to probable snow. Only because elementary schools are in person and since they’re not going, they want everyone else to not have to bother, for everyone else’s sake (supposedly), which is nice.

Time to build forts in the snow!

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

Time to build forts in the snow!

The weather now says there’s a warning for a “winter storm”.

Edited by Sooks

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The weather now says there’s a warning for a “winter storm”.

Better build a good one so that it holds up in the storm, then!