Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Ottservia said:

I don’t know about you but I think over-generalizing the artistic work of a nation which is a culmination of that nation’s cultural ideals, beliefs, and values and calling it all garbage is a little ethnocentric if not racist. Saying “Japanese people can’t write good stories” is just a little racist if you ask me.

That's not what he said. You're putting way too much into a simple statement, and far too casually throwing around the label of racism. Stop it.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

That's not what he said. You're putting way too much into a simple statement, and far too casually throwing around the label of racism. Stop it.

That’s not what he said no but he has said similar stuff before so that’s the impression I get from him. Like I said if he wants to correct me he is free to do so. Again go look at his older threads he’s made on anime. He is incredibly condescending there and has said things that do border on racism

That’s not what he said no but he has said similar stuff before so that’s the impression I get from him. Like I said if he wants to correct me he is free to do so. Again go look at his older threads he’s made on anime. He is incredibly condescending there and has said things that do border on racism

By saying he doesn’t like anime or what?

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Inaction in regards to what?

Housing here is a mess when you look past the surface level. The amount of scandals is very much, especially when you have the very high rate of death among the homeless this year for example. Meanwhile the recent discourse about student nurses and how they've been pushed way past what's expected of them especially due to the pandemic with effectively no pay. 

Point being I don't need to be throwing that stuff up here, the lack of action is bad enough that I feel like none of ye have to hear me roar about it..

4 minutes ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Anyways I will stop talking about this right now.

I cry out today, but life must continue.

I must see the  positive in the future.

We won't begrudge you for crying out you know that.

You know where to go from here though, so that's good.

As for Super Thracia, I understand the restart.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Mother Nature misssed her 80%? xD

This is why 2rn should be a thing!

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

What Golden Deer supports do I have to recommend

Well, I'm just gonna read all of them +Sylvain's, I also plan to pick up Ingrid, Dorothea, Annette, Petra and Hanneman, although I'm not certain that I'll be using them. The latter because if there's one thing I learned from my HHM ironman, it's that monocles make you good automatically. Oh, and I might use Flayn, 'cause I think she gets fortify.

And yeah, going GD because I should know when most ambushes show up, so they're not going to be too huge of a problem. Maybe.

Happy birthday @lightcosmo! I'm late to the party this time...

7 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Like I said this is not the first time I’ve seen him act condescending towards Japanese creators. He’s made two other threads where he’s gone record to state that Japanese animation does not hold a candle to literature in terms of storytelling quality and while not explicitly racist does dance at its border.

I wouldn't say he's being racist about it. I mean, I personally think that Spanish songs (vocally, I like the instrumentals) are not that good outside of like, two and I grew up listening to them. 

But I do fundamentally disagree with his stance that anime/manga storytelling is "not as evolved" or whatever he said it was (Wraith correct me if I'm wrong) because if you ask me, every single medium all shares the common ancestor that is oral tradition. Doesn't really matter when it made it's debut, it's all just branching evolutions in the end. 

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Anddddd there’s no snow on the ground. Hecking rng. Mother Nature misssed her 80%? xD

Looks like someone else enacted the Order to prevent the Blizzard from reaching.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

By saying he doesn’t like anime or what?

Basically what he said was and I quote “Finally, I find that the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ anime simply don’t hold a candle to the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ genre fiction found in literature” and I know for a fact that he’s mostly referring to western literature here because that’s mostly what he both talks about and wishes Fire Emblem to be more like. I don’t about you but saying the best of Japanese animation can’t hold a candle to western literature dances on the border of racism just a little bit.

Basically what he said was and I quote “Finally, I find that the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ anime simply don’t hold a candle to the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ genre fiction found in literature” and I know for a fact that he’s mostly referring to western literature here because that’s mostly what he both talks about and wishes Fire Emblem to be more like. I don’t about you but saying the best of Japanese animation can’t hold a candle to western literature dances on the border of racism just a little bit.

Artistic medium is not = to race. I don't know where you got that idea. It's absurd.

o75hxZ5.jpgIt begins fellas

gg fe3h

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Well I would disagree, actually. Not liking storytelling/stories/whatever from a foreign country more than literature from your own country is not racist. Like, at all. It has nothing to do with race. It’s just entertainment. No race involved.

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

saying the best of Japanese animation can’t hold a candle to western literature dances on the border of racism just a little bit.

He said “Finally, I find that the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ anime simply don’t hold a candle to the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ genre fiction found in literature”

He stated that he enjoys western literature more than Japanese literature. Plus, I don't quite understand the angle that you're coming from in terms of statement being racist; he never said, (or implied,) "Japan sux" or something equivocal; he stated his preference.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I wouldn't say he's being racist about it. I mean, I personally think that Spanish songs (vocally, I like the instrumentals) are not that good outside of like, two and I grew up listening to them. 

But I do fundamentally disagree with his stance that anime/manga storytelling is "not as evolved" or whatever he said it was (Wraith correct me if I'm wrong) because if you ask me, every single medium all shares the common ancestor that is oral tradition. Doesn't really matter when it made it's debut, it's all just branching evolutions in the end. 

I’m not saying he’s not allowed to dislike it. I don’t like a lot American action movies for example. A lot of western media just doesn’t appeal to me. But I’m not going around saying Japanese media is better than western media in every way. Or that the best of western action movies can’t possibly hold a candle to the battle shounen genre. Like no that’s just dumb. No culture is inferior to another. No art that originates from one culture is inferior to the art from another culture art is art.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Artistic medium is not = to race. I don't know where you got that idea. It's absurd.

He said “Anime” specifically which is a short hand label for Japanese animation. Animation is an artistic medium and has nothing to fo with race. Anime is a specific brand of animation that originates from Japan so yeah he’s singling out Japanese creators specifically.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I’m not saying he’s not allowed to dislike it.

But I’m not going around saying Japanese media is better than western media in every way. Or that the best of western action movies can’t possibly hold a candle to the battle shounen genre. Like no that’s just dumb. No culture is inferior to another. No art that originates from one culture is inferior to the art from another culture art is art.

588220343777493022.png?v=1

So, he's allowed to dislike it, but when he expresses his dislike for it, it's racist (or bordering on it). Hm...

He said “Anime” specifically which is a short hand label for Japanese animation. Animation is an artistic medium and has nothing to fo with race. Anime is a specific brand of animation that originates from Japan so yeah he’s singling out Japanese creators specifically.

That's an illogical jump to a baseless conclusion.

Anime is an artistic medium like any other.

Avatar: the Last Airbender is a western show with heavy anime influence, for example. Cultural influences from East and West. Can't exactly separate the two there.

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I’m not saying he’s not allowed to dislike it. I don’t like a lot American action movies for example. A lot of western media just doesn’t appeal to me. But I’m not going around saying Japanese media is better than western media in every way. Or that the best of western action movies can’t possibly hold a candle to the battle shounen genre. Like no that’s just dumb. No culture is inferior to another.

That escalated from 0 to 100 in one sentence flat.

Not only is it not a culture, but art forms that evolved collectively and independently due to the nature of stories changing individually from country to country, but anime is literally considered a genre.

Also, he’s allowed to have the opinion but not say it? That’s an interesting opinion to have on something considered racist...

Anime is a genre.

People treat it as such, and most streaming services and publications will refer to it as such. Where it comes from is irrelevant.

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

He said “Finally, I find that the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ anime simply don’t hold a candle to the ‘classics’ or ‘best of’ genre fiction found in literature”

He stated that he enjoys western literature more than Japanese literature. Plus, I don't quite understand the angle that you're coming from in terms of statement being racist; he never said, (or implied,) "Japan sux" or something equivocal; he stated his preference.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well I would disagree, actually. Not liking storytelling/stories/whatever from a foreign country more than literature from your own country is not racist. Like, at all. It has nothing to do with race. It’s just entertainment. And it has nothing to do with discrediting creators, either.

Yeah that doesn’t make the statement any less pretentious. You wanna see the full quote? It’s much worse. 

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

No culture is inferior to another. No art that originates from one culture is inferior to the art from another culture art is art.

Okay but just becomes it comes from somewhere doesn’t mean it’s involved with or apart of the culture. Or am I racist if I don’t like sushi? Or if I think that western seafood is much better than it?

Edited by Sooks

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah that doesn’t make the statement any less pretentious. You wanna see the full quote? It’s much worse. 

If it strengthens your argument then go right ahead.