• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

People already saying Pyra/Mythra are too good...

well, what about when they said that about Hero? Or Banjo? Or Steve? They aren't even close to being "way too good". People need to calm down and not over judge in one day.

After all, no one's on Pika's level of broken, and the update didn't address that, but they decided nerfing other characters was fine. XD

No one ever said "Pyra/Mythra are too good". They truly are the bottom of the barrel in terms of JRPG designs.

Do they even have British accents like Shulk, come to think of it? At least that would feel a bit unique.

I know that Shulk's voice actor does a cameo at least. Similar to Xenoblade Chronicles EX.

But I don't think they ever brought in any other British actor again. Just your usual faire of American actors.

11 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Funny thing is, with Charge it's not like he even needs it.

I mean, yeah, but brave bow Luca. He's not even promoted yet, he's just so weak that he's rushed 10 levels ahead of everyone else. Hilarious. Heck, I might have to give him an occult book, at the rate he's going he'll ram his level cap long before Runan gets his first hero crest. And he'll still be worse than his sister in every way.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Haven't all DLC characters in Smash (Ultimate and 4 both) been amazing except for, like, Banjo and Piranha Plant or something like that? When you release a character that only the fans of their franchise will care about, you need to power them up so other players will consider throwing their moneys at 'em. Then there's Banjo, who was basically like "look at all this nostalgia! Never mind that the moveset is horrible and completely one-note! Nostalgia!"

Now, keep in mind that I'm talking out of my ass here. I haven't been following Smash Ultimate's development at all, beyond the character announcements themselves. It's quite likely that I'm wrong, I'm just saying the few things I've heard around.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

No one ever said "Pyra/Mythra are too good". They truly are the bottom of the barrel in terms of JRPG designs.

...I'm torn about this. On the one hand, I think it's rather rude to act like this knowing the amount of excited Xenoblade fans in this thread.

On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly and said it before you, so...

Meh. Sorry, Xenoblade fans. No really, I am. I'm glad for you all, I truly am, but... To be brutally honest, for me this is like, second worst DLC character, only beaten by Byleth.

That could actually be kinda funny then.

It could be like Dragon Quest IX, which had this one coast town where the German localization gave everyone a thick Frisian accent. ...at least I think it was Frisian, not like I am an expert on those things. Point being, the contrast between typical JRPG fare on one hand and a thick German dialect that I couldn't even decipher half the time was just the most amazing thing I've ever experienced in a game.

The controller arrived in the expected time with the game I also ordered.

It also came in a nicely sized box, though not quite a cube sadly. Trying to figure out what to stick in the box.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah i was surprised really. 

They went in so hard.

On the other hand Counterattack is quite a bit weaker imo

Yeah, I agree. It ain't a bad remix, I just prefer the original, which was already suited towards Smash anyway.

They knew what they were doing.

But I wonder what it is in Japanese since as far as I know, the memey Ardainian soldier lines were an English-only thing.

Coffee with milk be lookin good tho. Always knew she the best

Saito is 1000% based for drawing art exclusively for Smash. They could've very easily just used her portrait like they did with Garon but they went the extra mile.

That describes this entire update really. Going the extra mile. Like I said earlier, I am super pleased with everything they did here.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

well, what about when they said that about Hero? Or Banjo? Or Steve? They aren't even close to being "way too good". People need to calm down and not over judge in one day.

Yeah, people always say that about DLCs. Well except Banjo I guess. No one particularly thought highly of Banjo's competitive power and they still don't lol.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

After all, no one's on Pika's level of broken, and the update didn't address that, but they decided nerfing other characters was fine. XD

It's ok, they buffed Ganon

tenor_8.gif

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

When you release a character that only the fans of their franchise will care about, you need to power them up so other players will consider throwing their moneys at 'em.

I feel like this is oversimplifying it a bit. There are definitely people who only buy the characters they want of course but I think that there are way more people who buy the characters because they just look cool and new inclusions can push people to try out the game that they've come from.

I think it's fair to say that most people just buy the entire Fighters Pass because they want to see cool new characters (and of course, the hope that someone they want gets in but this is only a factor).

Oh and of course, new inclusions can encourage people to try out the source games. I mean heck, Xenoblade 2 sold out in Japan following the reveal and at least one of the big competitive Smash players went out and bought a copy because he was legitimately interested in where these two sword girls come from.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...I'm torn about this. On the one hand, I think it's rather rude to act like this knowing the amount of excited Xenoblade fans in this thread.

On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly and said it before you, so...

Meh. Sorry, Xenoblade fans. No really, I am. I'm glad for you all, I truly am, but... To be brutally honest, for me this is like, second worst DLC character, only beaten by Byleth.

Eh. I've waited literal years for this moment. After being told for years that Smash wouldn't get a Xenoblade 2 rep because of some arbitrary fan rules, I've pretty much won.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Oh, and this was new from yesterday. Nice.

I have zero idea what they're saying but cool. Really like that the mouths on the portraits move.

Now hopefully this game comes out in the West at a reasonable time and not next year *cough* Rune Factory 4S *cough* Xseed localization practices *cough*.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I feel like this is oversimplifying it a bit. There are definitely people who only buy the characters they want of course but I think that there are way more people who buy the characters because they just look cool and new inclusions can push people to try out the game that they've come from.

I think it's fair to say that most people just buy the entire Fighters Pass because they want to see cool new characters (and of course, the hope that someone they want gets in but this is only a factor).

Oh and of course, new inclusions can encourage people to try out the source games. I mean heck, Xenoblade 2 sold out in Japan following the reveal and at least one of the big competitive Smash players went out and bought a copy because he was legitimately interested in where these two sword girls come from.

These are fair points... from the consumer's point of view. I was talking about the devs themselves. I definitely think DLC characters being more powerful on average is intentional. If the DLC characters are subpar, that's one less reason a player would have to buy them. If the character is powerful/fun, even someone who doesn't care about the character at all will be interested in getting them. Don't forget, what Ninty wants is money, they don't care about anything else.

Of course, there's the irresponsible people who bought the DLC pass without knowing what would be in it. Those tend to be the kinds that complain about every single character reveal.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Eh. I've waited literal years for this moment. After being told for years that Smash wouldn't get a Xenoblade 2 rep because of some arbitrary fan rules, I've pretty much won.

Ey, I'm glad for everyone that enjoys this character. Seriously! I know I've been sounding like a cranky asshole (and I'd like to apologize for that, again), but really, I'm mostly indifferent about this character.

Frankly, it's just their hypersexualized designs that irk me. I mean, heck, they had to be censored for Smash. But, well, that's just me. I believe I said in this thread before that FE is as "anime" as I'm willing to go, and I'm afraid Xenoblade sits further than that.

...Hey, completely off-topic, but what's the deal with this coffee and milk thing I keep hearing about? That a meme, or what? I'm legit curious, someone please explain.

“¿Cuánto cuesta la tienda?” makes sense, right? I mean you can buy a store, but I feel I would be marked wrong if I said that statement is correct and I don’t know why.

10 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

Yeah tell me about it.

Reveal hidden contents

Julius seems like he's planning to leave at the start of the map, but then he keeps fighting?

And he's fighting to buy time for Sennet... but it doesn't seem like Runan is opposed to what Sennet is doing. It's very confusing to me.

But then again I picked up a save file I stopped playing on probably over a year ago, so my memory is probably hazy.

Well...

Spoiler

Chapter 35 is a basic failure to communicate. If Julius had actually chosen to meet Runan in person, I wouldn't consider that outright impossible despite being supposed enemies, perhaps he would've seen that Runan wasn't a prejudiced man of selfish worldly ambitions and is actually just the opposite, and thus would have left Canaan alone. But no, Julius is too antisocial for that. He also blames himself to no end for letting Canaan get so bad when he thought he could've done more.

The chapter is literally named "Julius", and I think it's fair to say the chapter is all his fault. The dude has the frustrated angst of Michalis and old Travant before him. Just as Michalis fought stupidly to the end of the War of the Shadows, and just as Travant (and Arion) turned down an opportunity to flip to the side led by goodie-good Seliph, so Julius wastes the lives of his men and himself in a meaningless battle.

I empathize with Julius, and you can say I'm looking at things too much from the player's perspective, but I don't sympathize with him.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Seriously! I know I've been sounding like a cranky asshole

Nah, you are fine.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Hey, completely off-topic, but what's the deal with this coffee and milk thing I keep hearing about? That a meme, or what? I'm legit curious, someone please explain.

MAJOR CHAPTER 8 SPOILERS!

Spoiler

Mythra and Pyra are one person, and when they are whole, they become Pneuma aka Coffee with Milk

Edited by Shrimperor

Oh god, ¿los profesores toman una prueba? Yes a teacher can take a test, but usually they’re the ones giving the test, so does that statement “make sense”? Why can’t I get questions purely in a grammatical level or with an obviously incorrect meaning, now I have to guess what the test thinks..... This is my same problem with English class. Ugh.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

“¿Cuánto cuesta la tienda?” makes sense, right? I mean you can buy a store, but I feel I would be marked wrong if I said that statement is correct and I don’t know why.

Hold on, what are we talking about here? "Tienda" means store, yes... but it also means tent. It makes sense to buy a tent. It doesn't make sense to buy a whole store. I mean, I guess technically the wording would be correct, but a businessperson trying to obtain ownership of a store would definitely use different words.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh god, ¿los profesores toman una prueba? Yes a teacher can take a test, but usually they’re the ones giving the test, so does that statement “make sense”? Why can’t I get questions purely in a grammatical level or with an obviously incorrect meaning, now I have to guess what the test thinks..... This is my same problem with English class. Ugh.

...Okay, that's a trick question if I ever saw one. I mean, yeah, a person who happens to be a teacher can enroll in a course of their own and take a test. But I'd say what they want you to do here is not overthink the questions and take everything at face value. Teacher no take test, teacher give test. There.

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Nah, you are fine.

Oh, thank goodness. Not gonna lie, I was a bit worried there. I really don't want to come across as a big party pooper just because the one character that I've been waiting for is still not in.

...Seriously, Sakurai. It's one. One. I'm not really asking for that much, am I?

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

MAJOR CHAPTER 8 SPOILERS!

...Wow, that was an awkward conversation. I'm not sure if it was just the voice acting or if it was intentional, but... Wow, that guy has no idea how to talk to women.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hold on, what are we talking about here? "Tienda" means store, yes... but it also means tent. It makes sense to buy a tent. It doesn't make sense to buy a whole store. I mean, I guess technically the wording would be correct, but a businessperson trying to obtain ownership of a store would definitely use different words.

This isn’t from the perspective of a businessperson, it’s just a statement.

This unit is about the store, it means store here. We have never talked about tents yet. I just don’t know if it is employing the logic of no buy store, buy at store. But in theory you can purchase a store.

Maybe they’re not trying to buy the store, maybe they’re just having a friendly chat with the owner about their business experiences.

...Okay, that's a trick question if I ever saw one. I mean, yeah, a person who happens to be a teacher can enroll in a course of their own and take a test. But I'd say what they want you to do here is not overthink the questions and take everything at face value. Teacher no take test, teacher give test. There.

Yeah that’s what I thought. 🤞

Thank you.

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This isn’t from the perspective of a businessperson, it’s just a statement.

This unit is about the store, it means store here. We have never talked about tents yet. I just don’t know if it is employing the logic of no buy store, buy at store. But in theory you can purchase a store.

Maybe they’re not trying to buy the store, maybe they’re just having a friendly chat with the owner about their business experiences.

In that case, I think it's as I said before. They just expect you take everything at face value. Don't overthink it. Coming to a cashier and asking about the store itself's price is dumb, so the sentence is incorrect.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Well, you don't know the context behind it xD

Inb4 I start playing Xenoblade just so I can understand the context behind that kid's horrible awkwardness.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In that case, I think it's as I said before. They just expect you take everything at face value. Don't overthink it. Coming to a cashier and asking about the store itself's price is dumb, so the sentence is incorrect.

That was right! 30 out of 30! Thank you, I’ve always been bad with those types of questions.