Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I'm fine with either happy or sad endings (I prefer happy though), but what I hate most is when a group or person goes through hell only to have all that effort be undone by a golden ending where everyone lives happily ever after for no good reason.

It completely negates everything that happened and makes the player feel stupid for getting invested in something that ultimately didn't matter anyway.

688824902823706634.png?v=1

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, what's this? A civil discussion of differing opinions on the internet? INCONCEIVABLE! XD

Teehee zone!

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Huh? What do you mean?

Killing for the sake of killing, revenge, death everywhere, sexual abuse, mc not achieving anything, stuff like that.

Not just anime, but fiction in general tends to suck at that. There're rare exceptions tho.

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'm fine with either happy or sad endings (I prefer happy though), but what I hate most is when a group or person goes through hell only to have all that effort be undone by a golden ending where everyone lives happily ever after for no good reason.

It completely negates everything that happened and makes the player feel stupid for getting invested in something that ultimately didn't matter anyway.

Eh

If anything the person going through hell makes me root for him getting a happy ending much more

If i like the character, that is, and only if the good ending makes sense

Edited by Shrimperor

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, I got the PSP version of Yggdra Union recently, and in addition to that, another SRPG by the name of Jeanne d'Arc, so that's gonna be interesting, perhaps. Methinks there is a connection between those two...

La_Pucelle_-_Tactics_Coverart.png

Started as a PS2 game, got ported to the PSP. Nippon Ichi Software behind this one, which is why I'm not interested, Disgaea DS fizzled for me.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

But yeah, fun game so far! Really enjoying it! Story is intriguing, too, particularly because the main villain is shaping up to be a small child, something I've only seen in Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls so far.

Not wholly unsurprising. The strong and victorious King Henry V of England died tragically in his prime when his son wasn't yet 1 year of age. Leaving him to lose everything in France except the tiny Pas de Calais, which endured until Queen "Bloody" Mary I lost it. Henry VI's reign was a bad one, ending with the War of the Roses, you know a country has fallen when it's in a civil war.

Spinning Henry VI as a spoiled brat isn't infeasible, daddy won the entirety of northern France including Paris. Add manipulative, coddling, yet incompetent nobles, and you could create one unstable king.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Eh

If anything the person going through hell makes me root for him getting a happy ending much more

If i like the character, that is

Definitely, but when major consequences are undone because "plot reasons" I find it hard to accept it. It makes the trouble MC and the group went through feel hollow, IMO.

Teehee zone!

Indeedy!

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Killing for the sake of killing, revenge, death everywhere, sexual abuse, mc not achieving anything, stuff like that.

Not just anime, but fiction in general tends to suck at that. There're rare exceptions tho.

But don't you understand? It's GRIMDARK! It's what makes it deep! /s

Jokes aside, I agree.
And those exceptions only work BECAUSE they give their characters some semblance of hope before completely crushing it.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

La_Pucelle_-_Tactics_Coverart.png

Started as a PS2 game, got ported to the PSP. Nippon Ichi Software behind this one, which is why I'm not interested, Disgaea DS fizzled for me.

Games featuring Jeanne d'Arc or a derivative of her seemed to have been a phase at some point. xD
I only played one Nippon Ichi game so far, and quite liked it. Haven't dipped my toes into Disgaea at all, though.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Spinning Henry VI as a spoiled brat isn't infeasible, daddy won the entirety of northern France including Paris. Add manipulative, coddling, yet incompetent nobles, and you could create one unstable king.

Or demonic possession, as seems to be the case in this game.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Definitely, but when major consequences are undone because "plot reasons" I find it hard to accept it. It makes the trouble MC and the group went through feel hollow, IMO.

Oh you mean that

Yeah that usually sucks major ass

Every story should have the ending it calls for.
If a happy ending makes sense, have it have a happy ending.
If not, then... well, don't have it have one.

But don't pull something out between your buttcheeks just have a certain type of ending!

*sigh*

And it was suppossed to be my happy day, too....

Everything alright?

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Every story should have the ending it calls for.
If a happy ending makes sense, have it have a happy ending.
If not, then... well, don't have it have one.

But don't pull something out between your buttcheeks just have a certain type of ending!

Yep.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Something happened?

As i said a bit earlier, i finally got my Master certificate today. First thing i did was to send a pic to my parents to make them smile a bit...

Only to land on a big ass family arguement that's happening atm...

Just now, Shrimperor said:

i finally got my Master certificate today

Oh, I missed that! Congratulations, Shrimpy!

That's rough. I'm sorry to hear that.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh, I missed that! Congratulations, Shrimpy!

Thanks Thanks^^

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That's rough. I'm sorry to hear that.

Kinda used to it because one of my brothers is super problematic and mom complains about him every time i call her...

And dad probably just hit his limit

:yamete:

Edited by Shrimperor

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

finally got my Master certificate today.

Big congrats! 🎉

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Sorry to hear that, man.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Is that seriously the game's name?

Also, this looks like the greatest game in existence. Because cats.

Haha, not quite.

It's Another Eden - The Cat Beyond Time and Space. I'm saying The Other Cat as a joke because the titular cat is someone else.

Also, hehe, yeah, totally. XD The fact this cat mode exists is great.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

you know a country has fallen when it's in a civil war.

Then the US has been in its death throes since the past century and a half. Maybe we should put the country down and stop its suffering, the poor thing...

Kinda used to it because one of my brother is super problematic and mom complaints about him every time i call her...

And dad probably just hit his limit

:yamete:

That really sucks. You have my sympathies, Shrimpy!

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I mean, going by what Shrimpy posted, they really were not subtle at all as to whom Yggdra was based on. XD

You know, i've always wondered why Japan is so fascinated with Jeanne D'arc. Like here in the West, most people know the story but like it's not like we think about it too much but Japan seems to love her. I don't know if it's because of the story or the name or anything else but she tends to show up a lot in Japanese works.

Gacha games most notably. Pick any fantasy gacha game from Japan, there's probably a Jeanne D'arc somewhere in there.

Then there's like 50 forms of her in Fate but Fate has a bunch of historical figures anyway.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I fucking hate these kinds of announcements. They show me an awesome-looking game and then plaster the 2022 at the end and I'm like "BUT I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOWWWW"

At least that's a date.

Metroid and Bayonetta fans in shambles.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

pzzXawG.png

The text is looking weird in this game, though

Ah yes, the curious case of subpar fan-translations. I had a similar case with Namco x Capcom, the formatting was weird, some character bios would have bios of other characters inserted into them as well. 

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

qQUqX20.png

How does she see?

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, that's the sad part of this. Not everyone in Ubisoft is like that, but due to the despicable actions of their higher ups, everyone else gets shat on, and the higher ups don't even suffer any consequences because, well, they're the higher ups. It's so unfair.

Yeah, the ones at fault are the higher-ups, so you don't want to support them. But then that means the simple employees who had literally nothing to do with it end up suffering as well.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

what is it with blonde waifu MC and justice anyway?

Funny, Project X Zone has a character from a game called Cyberbots who's the exact opposite of everything you just said.

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

She's one of the four playable villains here (although Heihachi seems less of a villain and more of he does whatever the fuck he wants, i think, idk Tekken lore).

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

But yeah, fun game so far! Really enjoying it! Story is intriguing, too, particularly because the main villain is shaping up to be a small child, something I've only seen in Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls so far.
xkv6oqn.png

Guy on the left is the sorceror dude from the beginning, some guy by the name of Bedford.

I thought that was a girl until i read the name.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sad, but true. I still find it commendable when people stick to their guns and decide not to support such companies, even if it ultimately doesn't do all that much because you can't win against big corps

Big corps are a factor but i think the bigger picture is that the world has simply gotten too big and too connected.

Boycotts absolutely worked in the past but now, it's not really viable anymore.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

My current Tales of MC tier list out of the ones i've played so far!

b5a559d565f663808479de92782ad5eb.png

Edit: This tier list is 100% accurate and disagreement would be a sin of some sort.

Here's my tierlist:

Velvet > everybody else.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

My Master Certificate finally arrived 😄

LETS GOOOOOOO

tenor_1.gif

28 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I like both happy and bittersweet endings. Heck, even some sad endings (but I don't like straight up downer endings, where everythin

Happy ends and bittersweet ends are good.

Sad ends just make me not want to experience it again lol. Assuming it's the only end.

This isn't to say i think sad ends are bad but i don't wanna replay/read/watch whatever it was if it has a sad ending.

25 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Bro if they all go through hell, they damn better have at least a peaceful conclusion.

20 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ah.

Depends tbh. If it makes sense contextually, then it's fine. If the author just pulled it out of his ass, then lol.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

First thing i did was to send a pic to my parents to make them smile a bit...

Oof.

Sorry it had to go that way.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Then the US has been in its death throes since the past century and a half. Maybe we should put the country down and stop its suffering, the poor thing...

Yes but we should wait until after i move out of Florida before we do that. I don't wanna be in a 100% conservative country.

Just now, Armagon said:

the curious case of subpar fan-translations.

Nope it's official tl

It's a ppsspp problem and you to install an extra font

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

She's one of the four playable villains here

Lmao that name xD

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

LETS GOOOOOOO

Ayy thanks :D

I don't wanna be in a 100% conservative country.

The whole planet is going freaking consercative it seems, sadly

Here's my tierlist:

Velvet > everybody else.

I think the whole "revenge on Artorious" deal gets annoying. Its all she ever talks about! 

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know, i've always wondered why Japan is so fascinated with Jeanne D'arc. Like here in the West, most people know the story but like it's not like we think about it too much but Japan seems to love her. I don't know if it's because of the story or the name or anything else but she tends to show up a lot in Japanese works.

Gacha games most notably. Pick any fantasy gacha game from Japan, there's probably a Jeanne D'arc somewhere in there.

Then there's like 50 forms of her in Fate but Fate has a bunch of historical figures anyway.

That is... actually a good question. Huh, you know, I've never thought about it!

Ah yes, the curious case of subpar fan-translations. I had a similar case with Namco x Capcom, the formatting was weird, some character bios would have bios of other characters inserted into them as well. 

Oh wow. That's... kinda bad! xD

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How does she see?

Also a very good question. xD

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I thought that was a girl until i read the name.

Same. He was featured in a cutscene before this, but even then, I thought he was a she until they called him "Prince".

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sad ends just make me not want to experience it again lol. Assuming it's the only end.

This isn't to say i think sad ends are bad but i don't wanna replay/read/watch whatever it was if it has a sad ending.

Understandable.
For me, it depends on how sad the ending is.
Luckily, most of the really sad ones I've seen are usually part of a game with multiple endings.