Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

This is why he might really like Advance Wars. Or Wargroove or something on those lines.

Actually, Ruben has said in the past he found Advance Wars very dull. Comparing it unfavorably I remember in one instance to the water shrine map in TearRing Saga, which has a handful of SoV Cantors on it, with the only difference being a limit of 15 uses of summon each b/c it comes from a staff, which was still enough to tediously bog him down. -But I was unfazed by them and plowed through 'em no problemo.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

41 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I really only see an issue presented because of the iron boots item switching deal in the N64 version. The design of the dungeon is quite good itself, if you ask me.

Yeah, the Water Temple isn't too bad from what I remember playing on the 3DS version, though I don't know how the N64 version is.

Also, a belated hello to you there.

41 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tbf, I've only played that far in Ocarina 3D, so I don't have any negative memories of dealing with that.

As someone who's finished OoT, it wasn't too groundbreaking to me as it's far from my first LoZ title.

On the other hand I've not played many 3D Zelda titles, only having finished TP. I probably should get back to MM, but I will admit a concern with how the time mechanics work.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, Ruben has said in the past he found Advance Wars very dull. Comparing it unfavorably I remember in one instance to the water shrine map in TearRing Saga, which has a handful of SoV Cantors on it, with the only difference being a limit of 15 uses of summon each b/c it comes from a staff, which was still enough to tediously bog him down. -But I was unfazed by them and plowed through 'em no problemo.

Comparing Cantors to how unit building works in AW doesn't really work to my mind. Then again, I seem to have a higher threshold for tedium comparably.

Shame it's not so easy to try Wargroove before he buys, I think it's differences are worth considering on it's own and I found it pretty alright (Things are helped with commanders being on the map), though I do have to be in the mood to play it.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm curious how reassuring it would be to be apart of Ruben's army, as he openly admits someone's being fed to the wolves. Anyone could be next! XD

Well, if you're a generic or a funny meme you have a higher chance.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

This is why he might really like Advance Wars. Or Wargroove or something on those lines.

I like the idea of Advance Wars... Until I try to play the games. Then I invariably get stuck in an inescapable stalemate and give up on the game. I've tried every game in the series except DS and they all ended up the same. I don't think I need more to tell that it's not a series I can enjoy.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

As for me, i refuse to continue a chapter if i lose anyone. Even if it's a unit i dislike in any form whether it's their character or their gameplay.

I was once like that. Now I'm not like that anymore. Though I do still struggle to let go of units I like or am using/intend to use.

57 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

actually disregard that statement. Lmao Howard isn't even dead, i just missed him on the roster screen! Sorry, Ruben i have no excuse anymore. I just didn't deploy him plain and simple.

Damnit, Cosmo! Not only is he cool, he's also good and would've been a great asset for you! Be more careful next time.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, the water shrine comparison was more in a "this is the closest FE gets to this problem I have with AW" vein. FE never quite reaches the horrible stalemates I always encounter in AW, not even the water shrine.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like the idea of Advance Wars... Until I try to play the games. Then I invariably get stuck in an inescapable stalemate and give up on the game. I've tried every game in the series except DS and they all ended up the same. I don't think I need more to tell that it's not a series I can enjoy.

I do think Wargroove is somewhat better on it, due to how units are designed.

Admittedly, I'm not that into AW and never felt like playing as much. But yeah, if it doesn't work, I can't fit you into a shape of strategy that doesn't match.

Okay, I give up.

Rbuz2o4g o

I know from the hints that the answer is lower than 30. I've tried everything I could think of and everything is wrong. I'd rather try to understand the puzzle before I resort to just brute forcing it so the game tells me what the heck it's going for. Little help?

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Shame it's not so easy to try Wargroove before he buys, I think it's differences are worth considering on it's own and I found it pretty alright (Things are helped with commanders being on the map), though I do have to be in the mood to play it.

The differences are fairly significant. And I'd say it's harder, because the gold economy shrunk more than the unit prices. As a result, unit spam feels much more difficult, which makes defending and advancing harder for me. There is also a lack of a true replacement for the Tank line, which was the undisputed vanguard of the typical land army. Knights and Golems tried to be Cheap Tank and Expensive Tank replacements, but Golems are really pricey, and Knights get stabbed by Pikemen (which was true IRL).

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Admittedly, I'm not that into AW and never felt like playing as much.

I'm certainly the one most liking of the series here. I've even played a few matches of the fan-translated (not hard, it had only menus to translate) Super Famicom Wars. The predecessor is graphically kinda cute, and Artillery Trains were a neat idea, but otherwise antiquated. 

And the original Famicom Wars, which remains untranslated, is definitely aged.:

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

OF COURSE! IT NEVER FAILS! I MAKE THE "help I'm dumbo" POST AND THEN I INSTANTLY SOLVE IT! GOD DAMN EVERYTHING!

Was the answer 1? Since a tile looks in the image to square itself. Thats all I could come up with on the spot.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

OF COURSE! IT NEVER FAILS! I MAKE THE "help I'm dumbo" POST AND THEN I INSTANTLY SOLVE IT! GOD DAMN EVERYTHING!

That’s how it always is.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, if you're a generic or a funny meme you have a higher chance.

I'll admit, thats not exactly reassuring...

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Damnit, Cosmo! Not only is he cool, he's also good and would've been a great asset for you! Be more careful next time.

He was, he was an amazing bench warmer! Keeping my garbage units nice and safe.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Was the answer 1? Since a tile looks in the image to square itself. Thats all I could come up with on the spot.

It's 20. You put them sideways and you only need 20 to make a square, since 0.5 * 5 = 10. Upside, since the sides are 10 and 12 respectively, you need a minimum of 30 tiles to make a square.

...I was on the right track, but I tried to use one upside tile and four sideways tiles to technically make a square if you look at it from above. The game didn't like that, so I spent a good hour looking in other directions before I performed the magic ritual of complaining on the internet that I can't solve it, and that unlocked the truth in my brain.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That’s how it always is.

Most certainly.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I'll admit, thats not exactly reassuring...

Well, what can you do.

He was, he was an amazing bench warmer! Keeping my garbage units nice and safe.

Grrrrr.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Incidentally, I could never actually get Howard to actually hit the enemies... He was like Zach in that aspect, just without the offence! Xd

Howard's hit issues are like, his only flaw lol. But they're simple enough to fix. Just throw him a secret book if you have one, let him hold Yue's amulet, maybe give him a support. You do that and he's fantastic. As for Levion, his flaw is a bit harder to patch up, since it's speed. But with 16 he won't get doubled, at least, so he can tank pretty well.

They're the true christmas cavaliers of the game. Howard's the swift one, while Levion is the slow tanky one.

(Incidentally, why didn't you use Levion? Do you hate beards that much?)

1 hour ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

I just want to offer my condolences to twilitfalchion.   I know this was late to offer but I learned about it pretty late.

Thank you.

50 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I've always enjoyed MQ's dungeon design better. Its not all straightforward, which imo is how puzzles should be sometimes.

Maybe I'll try it next time I play Ocarina.

31 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Also, a belated hello to you there.

Hello. wave

33 minutes ago, Dayni said:

As someone who's finished OoT, it wasn't too groundbreaking to me as it's far from my first LoZ title.

Same. I still like it a lot, but it can't come close to Wind Waker or BotW, IMO.

MM even beats it by a fair bit for me, and I haven't even finished that one yet.

35 minutes ago, Dayni said:

On the other hand I've not played many 3D Zelda titles, only having finished TP. I probably should get back to MM, but I will admit a concern with how the time mechanics work.

Understandable. The idea of the time limit kept me from playing it for quite some time.

So I’d heard you get something really good if you go down the stony path with Eirik in your caravan… and all you get is the ability for him to summon a bear?

Am I remembering incorrectly or does he get this automatically if you send him back to Strand?

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So I’d heard you get something really good if you go down the stony path with Eirik in your caravan… and all you get is the ability for him to summon a bear?

Am I remembering incorrectly or does he get this automatically if you send him back to Strand?

Yeah, that's the "really good" thing Eirik gets. He just gets it automatically if you send him to Strand. This may seem like it comes out of nowhere, but... No, actually.

Take a look at the very first fight in the entire series. See that, chained up behind the tables? Yeah, that's where he gets his bear if he's sent back to Strand. Blew my mind the first time I saw someone pointing it out.

Of course, this is just another reason why Eirik is much better with the Ravens, on top of just giving the caravan in dire need of fighters two more for the price of one. I'd say the developers agree that he's better off there, too, seeing how he gets a conversation in TBS3 if he's with them but not if he's with Skogr (unless I'm forgetting, I suppose you can confirm when you get there).

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

RIP Ludin

You were one of my favorites, but I want to side with Rugga.

F

I don't know if I'll ever have the heart to do that.

Spoiler

Though depending on where it happens, if Alette is alive at least he gets a nice moment with her before he dies.

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

At least your sister will be able to join you eventually:

Spoiler

She's literally immortal lol, there's no way to get her killed in the entire series outside of the bad endings.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

Though depending on where it happens, if Alette is alive at least he gets a nice moment with her before he dies.

Yeah, he said thanks for being cool, here’s a cool item and then died.

Hide contents

She's literally immortal lol, there's no way to get her killed in the entire series outside of the bad endings.

Spoiler

I thought you had to kill her if you sided with Rugga.

Edited by Sooks