• Replies 180.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

That reminds me September is the birthday month of the Civilization franchise, apparently nobody remembers the exact release day or there just wasn't one. The loosely history-based 4x game franchise, almost the only one out there covering all of humanity's development from the Fertile Crescent to the Information Age, is now officially 30 years old.

I want to buy Civilization V because it seems like it'd be good and different from Civ VI, but why I'd have to wait until the era of a plague-induced chip shortage to seriously want a gaming laptop and be selective about it? And when I get the game, I'll spend 5 minutes trying to create an NLA civilization, and another 10 trying to make a map of Mira. If Fire Emblem has dozens of Civ V civilizations, I can make one NLA led by Elma.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

....the fuck do you mean the New 3DS XL is six years old....

Don't remind me of time's inevitable march forward right now.🙂

Although I still hop on my N3DSXL these days. T'was a good system. If only the slide pad's rubber cover didn't wear off so easily.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20200730_100040.jpg

Just wanted to randomly comment on the font of XC1DE's subtitles. It's a very very very very very very very very very minor criticism, but it looks typewriter-like, and doesn't exactly click with me. Maybe it blends with the Mechon being somewhat steampunk and the steamy Industrial Age and typewriters going together, and the exact technological level in Homs Bionis is somewhere betwixt the steam age and the present one, so it sorta works. But the more futuristic sci-fi of the Monado and High Entia, even the Mechon in some aspects -Face Nemesis springs to mind-, they don't blend so well with the font.

Again, a microscopic issue smaller than the nanomachines which comprise Emeralda, but I don't think I've expressed this before.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Paintings absolutely required hours upon hours of investment. Especially in ye olden times like the 1700s.

I know what you're trying to say here but i saw some small paintings that took the artist years to make yeah, paintings definitely required an intense amount of time.

And from what I was told, in the case of some of the much larger paintings in Early Modern Europe, it wasn't one person's work. A team of artists would be assigned separate portions of a given painting. I'm not sure how frequent this was, and it only applied to larger projects, but I take it elite patrons weren't picky if it was a secondary piece in their vast collections. 

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aaaand there we go. I bend over backwards in a desperate attempt to beat the first room, I almost make it... And then I make one misclick and it's over. Time to redo everything.

Save states. You‘ll be redoing those same couple turns often without them.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aaaand there we go. I bend over backwards in a desperate attempt to beat the first room, I almost make it... And then I make one misclick and it's over. Time to redo everything.

Take it slow, clear one side first and then backtrack.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Save states. You‘ll be redoing those same couple turns often without them.

Oh I absolutely intend to save after I get this to work again. The problem is that the most reliable strategy requires that Zhara dodges like 10 30%s in a row, so it's not foolproof. It's pretty good, it happens more often than not, but sometimes it doesn't and I get to walk everyone to their turn 1 positions all over again. And then I make one misstep with the extremely specific plan that works and I have to start over.

Fun.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Take it slow, clear one side first and then backtrack.

Hah! Yeah, good idea. And then I take 40 turns and Elfuigi becomes mayonaise before the team even makes it to the second side.

I don't have the time for that. My Corrin isn't nearly good enough to last that long. Even with an endless source of healing, rend heaven + crit murders him in one shot. I cannot afford to take that much time.

...Honestly, I don't think this map is even possible for my current team. But, I want to give it a shot anyway. For the lolz or something.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Shrimperor said:

E N T R A P

I kinda don't want to use entrap, because then I straight up cannot justify doing this map, because the 10k will go towards recovering all the supplies I lost doing it.

On the other hand, I get bragging rights. Whoop-de-doo.

Also, I'm not referring to the lunge automata hallway, I'm referring to the other hallway. They both look impossible, but that one looks slightly impossibler.

Against all odds, I have made it through both hallways. It does not feel good, I am not satisfied and the amount of save state loading I needed to make it happen defeats the entire purpose of even trying.

...Well, actually, it required a surprisingly small number of loads. I expected... Well, actually, I expected none because I expected it to just be plain impossible, but Zhara and Senno have really proven their worth here. I suppose they've earned it, they've been the underdogs this entire playthrough.

Unfortunately, I believe it may be over.

Ylju508d o

More entrap? I only had two entraps and I sacrificed them against the previous lunge automata. I've still got the entrap at the shop for Hans, but... Well, to get to the shop I need to live. And I don't think I will live.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Against all odds, I have made it through both hallways. It does not feel good, I am not satisfied and the amount of save state loading I needed to make it happen defeats the entire purpose of even trying.

...Well, actually, it required a surprisingly small number of loads. I expected... Well, actually, I expected none because I expected it to just be plain impossible, but Zhara and Senno have really proven their worth here. I suppose they've earned it, they've been the underdogs this entire playthrough.

Unfortunately, I believe it may be over.

Ylju508d o

More entrap? I only had two entraps and I sacrificed them against the previous lunge automata. I've still got the entrap at the shop for Hans, but... Well, to get to the shop I need to live. And I don't think I will live.

If you already got both chests finish the map then ;)

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If you already got both chests finish the map then 😉

Ahhh, yeah. Great idea. Brilliant! I'll just have Elfuigi easily kill Ryoma in one round with his 4 damage, his 77% hitrate and his like 40% chance of instant death from all of Ryoma's skills! Excellent! Thank you so much!

...Sorry. I'm a bit angry, because I realized way too late I didn't have any thieves on the eastern side, so Niles is hauling ass through the map in vain hopes that he'll make it in time.

That was entirely on me, but still. This map is the worst.

Also, about the second group of lunge dickheads: I threw Benny at the problem and he somehow survived, so... Eh. There we go.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Great idea. Brilliant! I'll just have Elfuigi easily kill Ryoma in one round with his 4 damage, his 77% hitrate and his like 40% chance of instant death from all of Ryoma's skills! Excellent! Thank you so much!

...didn't you do it before?

Just now, Shrimperor said:

...didn't you do it before?

Yeah, over the course of 16 turns, getting lucky with Dragon Fang procs and moving him back to the door every signle turn to rally him. On his own, his chances of victory are microscopic. The best he can hope to do is outmaneuver Ryoma for a few turns to buy the rest time to beat Saizo and Kagera. Which he absolutely will have to do, too, because I've ran out the timer. The absolute best I could manage, and it wasn't fast enough.

OOoooooouuuugh...

I1slzlab o

I think this is the only real fun I've had in the entire map: Watching Ryoma exit the throne room in pursuit of his cowardly little brother, run a lap around the map like Niles before him, only to run straight into Haitaka's lance and die the most anticlimatic death possible.

I was chuckling like an idiot the whole way through. Almost makes me think this whole ordeal was worth it.

I still can't believe I actually beat that.

How? How did I beat it? I shouldn't have beat it. There's no way. I just watched it happen and I can hardly believe it.

...I probably shouldn't feel proud, save states and all, but fuck it. I am fucking proud. At no point did I use the save states to just cheat my way through bad RNG. I adjusted my strategy until it worked. On a scale from "I'm actually good at brains" to "completely legit nintendo PC no joke guys", I am closer to the former. I think. Who cares, honestly. I'm happy.

Also, I took way too much pleasure in watching Ryoma die.

Also also, I have not one but two potential candidates for the signature treatment. Suzume and Senno are in danger.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also also, I have not one but two potential candidates for the signature treatment. Suzume and Senno are in danger.

Remove Matthis.