Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

nah, I get what you mean, but that's not it

I don't like the tropes and mechanics themselves. Trails is just one example, but I'd be annoyed if it was in any game (though tbf, I don't like seeing characters I've gotten attached to in Sky be part of that)

I don't think RPGs need romanceable candidates or an abundance of forced anime tropes to be any good. It's just pointless fluff.

I didn't like it in when it was used excessively in Fire Emblem, for instance

and why I appreciate games in general that don't stick crap like that in your face

that said, I have no opinion on Rean or the CS games themselves, lol. can't have an overall opinion on something I've never played, y'know.

just the specific elements included like I mentioned

See, I get that but at the same time, I need like the context. The tropes themselves are harmless, what matters is how it's done and how I feel about how it's done. And this isn't to say there aren't tropes I would roll my eyes at. Like I think the "the characters play inside a VR MMORPG" trope is kinda dumb but CrossCode does exactly that and it's my fourth favorite game for all time. CrossCode takes that trope and makes it really cool imo.

As for mechanics, that's largely the same thing, but there are a few where it's more plausible for anyone to say "yeah not for me".

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not sure what you mean, I haven't watched a minute of 7R footage. 

For all the shit I give Nomura, I think 7R's writing does have some strong points. Again, Jessie, Biggs and Wedge are actual characters that I can care about now. But it also has really dumb shit like what I just posted.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But only Nintendo itself. The Switch still has third-party "physical" games where the boxes contain only download codes or cards that don't have the entire games on them (the Spyro collection).

Yeah, I know 3rd parties like to do that but I don't know to what extent.

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Or peeps i know from my time in the falcom community who i am still in contact with and we talk about other stuff but then new trails gets released and wew boy

You could like, just keep talking about the other stuff.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

just keep talking about the other stuff.

Hard

Especially since there's that one part inside me that 0.1% hope i can get something like Sky again and thus i am curious.

Especially since Ys 8 is also modern Falcom and that made me know that Falcom can still do amazing games like back then

Edited by Shrimperor

Lmao, PlayStation Studios has it's own Marvel-like intro.

Also they used the PS5 model for Peter Parker in the PS4 version of Miles Morales and that's distracting.

Hmm... my current writing project... this one I plan to upload as its own thing, but I'm not sure if to upload chapters as they're done, write the whole thing then make a scheduled release, or something of a mix...

17 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

Especially baffling when the only interesting game on the second collection for most people is X8.

I know X6 has a nefarious reputation, and X7 is beyond the point of any redemption. But reading the comments, X5 has some positive reception, I thought. RNG on the shuttle & laser mean bad luck can lock you into the bad ending, and IIRC Zero can't get 100% of the upgrades b/c 1 Heart Tank is X only. But otherwise it doesn't sound that bad.

Would've been neat if they'd tacked the two Xtreme games into one of the collection's halves, and given the second half Command Mission. To include the more forgotten games of the X series.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

*laughs in playing MS-DOS games from floppy disks*

Wait...

My elementary school had a couple hand-me-down floppy disk computers in the 1st or 2nd grade classroom. The games were simple junk, but I can say I've actually touched floppy disks.

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

and my Fire Mage actually has S rank in Fire

9eYfa3v.png

While I've liked the art style so far. She does not fit from what you've shown. She speaks of a different kind of anime vibe, one that's a degree more shamelessly exuberant in its personality. -And also not what I'd think a fire mage would look like.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know X6 has a nefarious reputation, and X7 is beyond the point of any redemption. But reading the comments, X5 has some positive reception, I thought. RNG on the shuttle & laser mean bad luck can lock you into the bad ending, and IIRC Zero can't get 100% of the upgrades b/c 1 Heart Tank is X only. But otherwise it doesn't sound that bad.

I don't think X5 has a positive reputation so much as a "at least it's not X6" reputation.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

While I've liked the art style so far. She does not fit from what you've shown. She speaks of a different kind of anime vibe, one that's a degree more shamelessly exuberant in its personality. -And also not what I'd think a fire mage would look like.

well yeah she's a princess or some  kind of lordling, but fire tomes are her main weapon hence i call her fire mage xD

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

See, I get that but at the same time, I need like the context. The tropes themselves are harmless, what matters is how it's done and how I feel about how it's done. And this isn't to say there aren't tropes I would roll my eyes at. Like I think the "the characters play inside a VR MMORPG" trope is kinda dumb but CrossCode does exactly that and it's my fourth favorite game for all time. CrossCode takes that trope and makes it really cool imo.

I mean, all I can tell you is that I don't even care for the idea of some of the tropes themselves, depending on what they are. To each their own.

May not irk you, but it does me. :shrug:

If a game subverts certain tropes or handles them well, then great. But I'm just picky when it comes to stuff like that, I suppose.

I'm not against tropes entirely, of course. Tales of Arise is tropey as hell but it doesn't bother me one bit. I've enjoyed it, even if there's aspects of the writing I could easily criticize.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As for mechanics, that's largely the same thing, but there are a few where it's more plausible for anyone to say "yeah not for me".

I'd say that anyway, tbh. That's my stance on pretty much any aspect of a game. There are things that appeal to some and not to others.

Just the way it is.

Edited by twilitfalchion

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Red for Fire Mages is so stereotyping. Let the Alice-clone wear the color she wants.

Just now, Sooks said:

You really should hurry up with Trails.

I'll do it eventually... I'm sure I'll enjoy it at some point.

But if it takes me 30 hours to get through 1/4 of the first game and it's by far the shortest, I don't know if I'll ever see sunlight again if I play SC.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

She has a fairy in her inventory?

important characters, including lord-kun, have fairy companions. These give small stat boosts and can't be ''removed'' from inventory

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Benice said:

I'll do it eventually... I'm sure I'll enjoy it at some point.

But if it takes me 30 hours to get through 1/4 of the first game and it's by far the shortest, I don't know if I'll ever see sunlight again if I play SC.

Why is it taking you that long again?

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Like I think the "the characters play inside a VR MMORPG" trope is kinda dumb but CrossCode does exactly that and it's my fourth favorite game for all time. CrossCode takes that trope and makes it really cool imo.

Actually a cool trope and I'm interested. Tell me, can a potato PC run CrossCode?

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

7R's writing does have some strong points. Again, Jessie, Biggs and Wedge are actual characters that I can care about now.

This is good, and their deaths could make the player feel sad this time around. But then they didn't die.

Edited by Ghost_06_

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Why is it taking you that long again?

No fault of the game-I basically just go down every path and try to do every quest. Which should be fine, excpept my sense of direction is not very good, so I most often get lost. For example, there was some foggy area near Bose, and I think I spent roughly six hours trying to find an enemy I had to clap. Stuff like that.

244020545_4320538078032259_5312627278915

Thanks, I hate it.

I absolutely hate it, minimalism is a plague.

Anyways

Anyways, that was a dope opening. Not sure how I feel about the change to finishers tho. 

I gotta end it here for tonight tho.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Actually a cool trope and I'm interested. Tell me, can a potato PC run CrossCode?

Yeah, a potato PC can run it. Maybe turn off a few of the extra settings like weather if you really need to but you should be fine. It's on consoles too tho.

To explain a bit about CrossCode's world, it's set in the distant future where mankind comes across this moon that contains a super ancient program and they basically turn it into an MMO called CrossWorlds. Players play by remotely controlling avatars made of insta-matter a.k.a 3D printing on super steroids (this also builds certain aspects of the environment and NPCs/enemies). So even though it does count as the VR MMO RPG trope, the game world itself is a real physical place, to the point where it completely blurs the line between what's there naturally and what was essentially 3D printed.

The game's $20, plus an extra $10 for the epilogue DLC, which, despite never being planned originally, is actually vital to the story. So I guess the game's actually $30.

10 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

But then they didn't die.

I could've sworn Jessie drew the short stick on this.

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

No fault of the game-I basically just go down every path and try to do every quest. Which should be fine, excpept my sense of direction is not very good, so I most often get lost. For example, there was some foggy area near Bose, and I think I spent roughly six hours trying to find an enemy I had to clap. Stuff like that.

I had to look up the position of several of those boss monsters.

Also, do you know you can move the camera? I didn’t find out until the end of the first game, because life is like that sometimes, so just checking. Knowing that would make it easier to not get lost. Say yes so I can feel better.