Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Reading some 13 Sentinels Switch reviews. Three key points i've noticed

• Everyone agrees that the handheld aspect of the Switch does wonders for the game, because now it's a VN that you can read right before going to sleep or on the train or anywhere else really instead of having to be sitting at your TV or PC.
  • Game actually runs good without really sacrificing anything from the PS4. One reviewer said it might actually run a bit better on Switch.
  • The gameplay has been rebalanced. Every pilot now has two unique skills to give them more individuality, even among the same class, but more importantly, the difficulty has been adjusted. Some of the more broken elements have been scaled back (no more Sentry Guns go brrr) and when comparing Intense mode on both versions, the version on Switch is like an actual legitimate challenge now. I don't know how much of a difference it is but the mere nerfing of Sentry Guns alone means that i'd definitely have to be going into this with completely different strategies. 

I would now like to apologize to @Sooks for unknowingly having him play the uh, "inferior" version. In my defense, the Switch version hadn't even been announced at the time and also, you only got it for $20 anyways.

On the bright side, the people who haven't played the game before can get the Switch version and play the better version. Even at $60, hearing that the Switch version provides at least some more challenge than the PS4 version might be the push.

But everyone should play this game really.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Reading some 13 Sentinels Switch reviews. Three key points i've noticed

• Everyone agrees that the handheld aspect of the Switch does wonders for the game, because now it's a VN that you can read right before going to sleep or on the train or anywhere else really instead of having to be sitting at your TV or PC.
  • Game actually runs good without really sacrificing anything from the PS4. One reviewer said it might actually run a bit better on Switch.
  • The gameplay has been rebalanced. Every pilot now has two unique skills to give them more individuality, even among the same class, but more importantly, the difficulty has been adjusted. Some of the more broken elements have been scaled back (no more Sentry Guns go brrr) and when comparing Intense mode on both versions, the version on Switch is like an actual legitimate challenge now. I don't know how much of a difference it is but the mere nerfing of Sentry Guns alone means that i'd definitely have to be going into this with completely different strategies. 

I would now like to apologize to @Sooks for unknowingly having him play the uh, "inferior" version. In my defense, the Switch version hadn't even been announced at the time and also, you only got it for $20 anyways.

On the bright side, the people who haven't played the game before can get the Switch version and play the better version. Even at $60, hearing that the Switch version provides at least some more challenge than the PS4 version might be the push.

But everyone should play this game really.

Honestly, if this keeps up, might as well. Something to stay away from the computer for a time while we sort out the problems. What little I saw of Sentinels gameplay didn't entice me all that much, and given how vastly we disagree on stories and how little I care for mechas and anime tropes I seriously doubt I'll find it to be as brilliant, but who knows. I'm an inconsistent person.

...Wait, right, there's the price issue. There's already too much spending done on Skywalker Saga and the new cable. Another 60 bucks for another game would make me feel incredibly shitty...

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

..Wait, right, there's the price issue. There's already too much spending done on Skywalker Saga and the new cable. Another 60 bucks for another game would make me feel incredibly shitty...

Oh yeah, it is not in your specific best interest to get it now.

Don't worry, 13 Sentinels won't go anywhere. You can always get it later.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What little I saw of Sentinels gameplay didn't entice me all that much,

Unless you really loathe RTS, i think you should be fine.

Then again, i said that for Metroid and you somehow found a way to drop a two hour game at the one hour mark.

So yeah, luck of the draw here i suppose. 

Be still all the hearts of every Trails fan everywhere!

https://d3fd5j8wprxn3h.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Sample-of-Rean-Schwarzer-Dakimakura-from-Trails-of-Cold-Steel.jpg

Edited by WraithReborn

Whats wrong with TMS? I thought it was fine, actually.

Sides' the ending chapter, i actually really liked the development of the characters.

(Ending chapter was SD rip off sadly)

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

It’s alright. I didn’t stop because of the gameplay or anything, it did what it needed to.

I should still get back to it…

4 hours ago, Benice said:

'Morning!

JUST SIX DAYS TO GO UNTIL THE TRIP AAA-

What trip?

gsdx-20220406132214.png

Fruit that hangs so low, I have to send a submarine to retrieve it. This was not in GBA.

It's also odd how (just some gameplay musings I'm tossing in spoilers to save on space)...

Spoiler

gsdx-20220406123839.pnggsdx-20220406124343.pnggsdx-20220406125049.pnggsdx-20220406125401.png

...I needed the parts from spending forever against the Inspectors to win this "unwinnable" duel. And even then, Ibis had a 70% at best hit rate and needed to land all of her hits via savescumming to drain all 20k HP before the plot automatically made her lose. While keeping her from being hit at a 20% rate, which shouldn't even be a thing when you've stacked over 210 Mobility, but they really didn't want you to win here.

All for a spare Tesla Drive, which is rather lackluster. A Tesla Drive S would made it more worthwhile. Honestly, I tend to ground flying units unless they've S Air or B Ground ratings when movement isn't an issue, so that they can take advantage of terrain bonuses.

Now, the midgame route split is at hand. Since Lamia has 56 kills and Arado and Kai both have more than 30, and I've a bunch of other secret stuff, I think I don't need to stay at Aviano to shore up the WIldwuerger L and Gespenst Mk II. S kill counts. The Einst all-out invasion of Izu will provide more than enough grunts for that. I'll make a separate save before choosing my route, that way, I can play the Izu route later, as I will with the Moon Cradle.

gsdx-20220406132805.png

I wasn't expecting a spare Grungust, identical to Irm's, with the addition of a TK Field. They just threw this at me after the TRI escape was over. I like the red and the lion head. Seems like red is the preferred alternate color for OG machines- Wildfalken L, Wildwuerger L, and Grungust Type 2 Unit 2 are also red.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure who if anyone wants this machine. But if it comes with me to Izu when I do that, then Katina can take Giganscudo and Tasuku can have this for one battle, but then the Type 2 will be available, and it's a toss up which Grungust is better (Torment Blade is weaker than Calamity Slash, but Maxiblaster provides good strong range). Beyond that... Mk. III Boxer is the better bulky melee pseudo-Super for psychodrivers, and Kusuha & Bullet have their Chokijin. Maybe Carla can have it, but deployment slots are much too few. I would need to be doing a gimmicky finale wherein I'm fielding all 8 1st Alpha protagonists to be sure to get some guaranteed use from it. Or maybe if I was using Kai and I missed his Gespy Mk. II S, he wouldn't care about being unable to use the barrier.

15 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Too bad that due to how branchy SRW 3 can be that this intro doesn't always happen. There's an alternate "first meeting with the Inspectors" scene in a different chapter, but it's with Vigagi alone, so no quirky introduction.

Considering Vigagi actually does actually appear in battle a couple maps before this scene -to ominously foreshadow the Inspectors' arrival with his menacing Galgau- it doesn't surprise me. I don't know the context of this alternative 3rd scene, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was vaguely similar .

And let me guess, looking over the flow chart b/c you got me curious, the 3rd SRW episode where the Inspectors gave their 10/10 debut is "People From the Stars"? Because drop the "People" and OG2 kept the name the same for their arrival. As it should be.

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

while also being an idol game

😑

If you're looking for Idolmaster 5700, TMS ain't it. The Japanese idol industry is purely for aesthetics, with a narrative presence wherein the idol industry is handled in as shallow a way as can be. Heck, not all of the playable characters even focus on singing, Touma and Eleonora are primarily actors and Yashiro is like 50-50 song and acting. To call TMS an "idol game", would be like calling FE a "Medieval Life Simulator".

There is no dressing up idols and having them put on performances as they build up a career via rhythm minigames and singing or whatever that genre involves. None. TMS#FE is a tried & true Atlus 3D dungeon crawler JRPG, just as I like it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

@WraithReborn

tmsfe-encore-new-visual-1024x716.jpg

Your fav. Fire Emblem

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Whats wrong with TMS? I thought it was fine, actually.

Sides' the ending chapter, i actually really liked the development of the characters.

2 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I still plqn to play it someday, but i know Wraith really really loves it

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

idol stuff doesn't interest me, but it does seem decently well-received

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I have no qualms with it, personally. Also liked it, even.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

The character arcs are fairly well done, imo.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Considering Vigagi actually does actually appear in battle a couple maps before this scene -to ominously foreshadow the Inspectors' arrival with his menacing Galgau- it doesn't surprise me. I don't know the context of this alternative 3rd scene, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was vaguely similar .

And let me guess, looking over the flow chart b/c you got me curious, the 3rd SRW episode where the Inspectors gave their 10/10 debut is "People From the Stars"? Because drop the "People" and OG2 kept the name the same for their arrival. As it should be.

Ah, so they combined both events. Makes sense.

Yeah, sounds about right.

---

Alright, won the Spring Harvest! Level 3 Potato pulled through! And because I know how to respond to the townsfolk, haha.

Okay, now I'll head to Delirium Lava Ruins.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I don't remember this happening in SD

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

ah, yes

the game that isn't FE, nor Persona

but some odd hybrid of the two

And is unironically not only a great FE but it also wipes the floor with anything Persona.

And TMS is more about the entertainment industry as a whole rather than just idols.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

The character arcs are fairly well done, imo.

For both the characters and the Mirages. I'll say it again, TMS actually made me like Tharja.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Heck, not all of the playable characters even focus on singing, Touma and Eleonora are primarily actors and Yashiro is like 50-50 song and acting. 

Yeah there's really only like two honest-to-God idols, those being Tsubasa and Kiria. Most of the gang is actually just actors, with them focusing on different forms. Touma is a toku actor, Mamori is a TV host, and then Eleonora and Yashiro are movie/TV actors.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't remember this happening in SD

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And is unironically not only a great FE but it also wipes the floor with anything Persona.

Et tu, Armagon?

Computer's been shut down most of the day. That seems to have given the battery some much needed rest. Unfortunately, this supports the new theory that it was neither the cable nor the connector, but the battery that is beginning to die out after two years of extremely heavy use. Or something. At any rate, we've began to contemplate getting a new desktop computer. Consider the budget and all those things.

Anyway, while the computer cooperates, I will get some Gregor time in. Wish me luck and Sumia a lot of strength levels.

Edited by Saint Rubenio