Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FYD6BNgUEAEY2e8?format=jpg&name=large

But like why tho?

Good thing when I faced them I found them kinda irrelevant. They get lots of little shots and supposedly do a lot of damage together, but my response is just kill as many as you can at once lol.

But we're also near the point I stopped before the trial ended, so sorry I can't be more help.

Just now, Awoken Dayni said:

Good thing when I faced them I found them kinda irrelevant. They get lots of little shots and supposedly do a lot of damage together, but my response is just kill as many as you can at once lol.

But we're also near the point I stopped before the trial ended, so sorry I can't be more help.

I'm not talking about that, i'm talking about why did Ubisoft give them tit guns.

Just now, Armagon said:

I'm not talking about that, i'm talking about why did Ubisoft give them tit guns.

I try not to think about it.

2 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I try not to think about it.

Won't lie tho, the design itself is actually kinda sick.

Capes make everything cool.

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Battleship options I would think are slimmer than mechs, and battleships, although kinda weak, are narratively important as the traveling center of mecha army operation. Considering these things, I would suppose it might be more interesting when a new ship shows up. The Godinion and NSX (yeah I know Rayearth was added in T, still a fairly recent addition) adding to the lineup of options is something I can somehow appreciate despite not having played any prior mainline SRW games.

Oh yes, it's always neat to see what battleships we can get. This is basically one of the highlights of the VTX trilogy, since each one included just about "battleship only" debuts. With V being Space Battleship Yamato, X having Nadia Secret of the Blue Water, and T with Arcadia of our Youth.

Games with big casts or in the big consoles can usually afford it. Which means we can get sometimes battleships from series that show up often in SRW, but the battleship does not. Like, say, the King Beal of Zambot 3 (only showed up in Z1), or the Gandl from Dancougar (only in Compact2/Impact, 64, and CG/XO). Or more rarely, cases like EX, Shin, or the first two games Compact 2 where you have practically separate campaigns and thus the need of different battleships. EX, being Dunbine's debut, used both battleships, Gran Garan and Goraon, for each of Masaki's and Lune's routes. Then in Shin, with its Earth-Space game-long split routes, Space got the Ra Cailum, but the Earth path had the Daikuu Maryuu from Gaiking as its battleship. And as for Compact 2, the first game had the Gandl, while the second it was the Ra Cailum. The third game did an interesting thing where we could only deploy the one battleship, as it would change depending on the plot. Gandl at the start, then the Ra Cailum after the first chapter, then for the rest of the game the Elshank from Ninja Senshi Tobikage. Impact added the Nadesico, and I believe it also changed things up so we had the standard "choose your battleship" for most of the third third. Though for story reasons, the Gandl still stopped being playable after the first chapter.

Alpha 3 is a good example of both quantity and diversity, since its battleship cast was:

• The Ra Cailum from UC Gundam
  • The Archangel and the Eternal from Gundam SEED
  • The Daikuu Maryuu from Gaiking
  • The Battle Seven from Macross 7
  • The Eltrium from Gunbuster
  • The Solo Ship from Ideon

Although, if I recall, the one with the absolute highest so far is the first Z game, with like ten of them, spread over eight series.

Because Bright dishing out corporeal punishment is iconic? During one of the early 30 battles, the game went so far as to highlight him mentioning his infamous "Bright Slap", which I am most vaguely aware of.

Ahaha, yes, the Bright Slap. Another iconic moment, also involving him and Evangelion curiously enough, was in SRW F, where he actually Bright Slaps Shinji Ikari when he refuses to get in the Eva. Despite the memetic status, it still took Shinji seeing the injured Rei to actually do it, and the slap seemed there for the sake of the reference, since Shinji even replies with Amuro's response from the original Gundam anime pretty much word-for-word.

Ridiculous form of attack being used by a captain in a ship he never could've canonically used, against an enemy which isn't even from the same franchise as him, the crazy exaggeration here is great. Topped by the game mandating it, sorta. The meme potential is high.

And that's why we love SRW. XD

But yeah, it's not the sort of thing one would think to do... which is exactly why it gives you two points. Because it's crazy enough to work. But well, we know how good ramming stuff with battleships can be. Unless you're Captain Lee against the Kurogane...

That said, there is a small detail regarding the event itself. The angel in question was Israfel, the 7th Angel. In Evangelion, it looked to be beaten at first... but then it reappears split in two, now requiring the classic "beat both at the same time to finish them off" maneuver to truly finish it off. Which is precisely what happens in Alpha too, and you only get to beat both halves in the following map. But still, he can still be acknowledged in taking down the first form with the battleship, so that's still something.

The kiddo isn't even a subplot or Supporter! What's the point to having him around then?😆

Strange he's neither, considering he is more or less the head mechanic of the Autozam forces that travel to Cephiro. And he, Eagle, and Geo are pretty much the only relevant Autozam characters in the series anyway. Which is also why he's in both T and 30, basically. But then, SRW is no stranger to this. Sometimes I wonder why Bright never gets to have his own bridge officers or mechanics like Astonaige as subpilots either. I think it took until Unicorn began appearing to get Meran, which 30 repeats due to Narrative, and I think in Alpha 3 he did had Torres as a subpilot. Other than that, he's usually solo in the battleship.

Sorta random comment, the white & green color scheme of the Autozam units and characters makes me think of Hess toys.:

HESS01474-1-2022-MINI-BOX__67225.1654088

An American petroleum company that somehow got into the business of cranking out yearly vehicular toys. With a Christmas association, maybe because green and white are two of the three colors of the holiday. 

Funny you say, since they are named after cars or car brands. Autozam itself is a brand.

Like, this is an Eagle Vision:

Par de Motor de Eagle Vision

And a Geo Metro:

Geo Metro 1.0 (55 Cv) | FICHA TÉCNICA y ESPECIFICACIONES ✓

Zazu is instead named after ZAZ, the Zaporizhzhia Automobile Building Plant, due to initials in Ukranian. His name should probably be Zaz, but the u was kept for some reason when Rayearth got dubbed.

Actually, it's not just them. Just about every character in Rayearth is named the same, after car models or brands. Apparently the writers are car afficionados or something? lol I think only the lead girls aren't part of the theme.

Also, for the lulz. We have the Nissan Cefiro... but the Autozam Clef. Guru Clef was a spy all along!

Then you realize Lantis went to Autozam to begin with because of the Mazda Lantis, and Autozam is a sub-brand of Mazda.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Okay, just one dungeon in Skyrim done today. Well, kind half, since there's an outside zone that connects to a different dungeon, though I don't have to do that one for what I came here for. I'm pretty sure I'll have to return for a different quest later on, but well, no biggie.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

More than 150 missions done in 30, still more to go. The lighthearted/flashy writing is usually pretty good tho', and the serious stuff isn't too bad, so it helps keep the desire to play going.

Some of these lategame recruits are, well... puny. Besides the lackluster FTO, I hope Gridknight access to the assist weapons other than Calibur. Banagher's Silver Bullet doesn't seem very useful either, I haven't see any werewolfs. I take it the guy was the protagonist of Gundam Unicorn now that I think about it, but it sounds like that first unit isn't going to be unsealed in this game. And other than Daba, all the Heavy Metal L-Gaim characters have low firepower, even the secret character I've picked recently, you'd think being a lategame secret would've made them good. I know an AOS part or two can fix this, but there aren't many of those to go around. When Mazinger and Getter and GaoGaiGar have picked up additional abilities and attacks that send their damage soaring, a latecomer robot with sub-6000 on their strongest attack is 🤨. I get it, they're supporting actors, they're not supposed to be FE7's Athos, or Alpha Gaiden!Sanger to pick a well-known SRW instance, and yet...😐.

The next mandatory mission is in a meeting with aliens in Antartica. Now why does that sound familiar?😜 Do not disappoint me 30. Although it'll be difficult not to. That very well could've been the moment that I was drawn into SRW as a child.😄

11 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

You sly dog, you got me ranting!

Sorry!😅

But thank you again!

I'll spare from you saying anything else by borrowing a book at my local library. Appears to be a few histories I could glean. I need to read more.

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

And when you said not to finish Sunshine, I thought you were going to mention the Blue Coins.

They're so common a criticism everybody knows that I didn't feel like bringing them up. I had a game guide anyhow growing up. It's certain "secrets" that were more the bane of my existence, and no, not just the Chuc-*thrown to my death*. The Yoshi-Go Round. the first of Sirena Beach's, and the pachinko and lily pad ones come to mind.

6 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

So i saw someone mention the jp fanbase is pissed at 3Hopes

I decided to see for myself

WEW

I don't think i have seen that many negative top reviews since CS 4 lmao

Many seem particularly angry about Claude's/Golden Deer treatment

Time for Three Reconstructions?!😃 Koei specializes in retelling the same story again and again with the portrayal and details tweaked, more than eight retellings of the Three Kingdoms of China and more than five of the Warring States of Japan says it all. They can fix the Claude that wasn't-broken-but-they-tried-to-fix-and-end-up-breaking on the third try. You just gotta believe!😁

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

But like why tho?

I thought you were used to chest blasters by now. Although gatling guns instead of lasers is unique. 

I wanna say it's totally a matter of context and aesthetics here. Rabbids make it crass, if KOS-MOS strapped two G-Shots to her chest, it'd be completely different.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh yes, it's always neat to see what battleships we can get. This is basically one of the highlights of the VTX trilogy, since each one included just about "battleship only" debuts. With V being Space Battleship Yamato, X having Nadia Secret of the Blue Water, and T with Arcadia of our Youth.

Games with big casts or in the big consoles can usually afford it. Which means we can get sometimes battleships from series that show up often in SRW, but the battleship does not. Like, say, the King Beal of Zambot 3 (only showed up in Z1), or the Gandl from Dancougar (only in Compact2/Impact, 64, and CG/XO). Alpha 3 is a good example of both quantity and diversity, since its battleship cast was:

• The Ra Cailum from UC Gundam
  • The Archangel and the Eternal from Gundam SEED
  • The Daikuu Maryuu from Gaiking
  • The Battle Seven from Macross 7
  • The Eltrium from Gunbuster
  • The Solo Ship from Ideon

Although, if I recall, the one with the absolute highest so far is the first Z game, with like ten of them, spread over eight series.

Didn't realize there had been that many battleships. I knew Macross and Nadesico had them, and I knew of the Space Battleship Yamato instance is there a Space Battleship Musashi too?, but I wasn't aware of the others. Thank you!😀

I also mistook "Gandl" for "Gandi" at first glance. I joking assumed it must have nukes for weapons, since I've played a fair deal of Civilization.

Ahaha, yes, the Bright Slap. Another iconic moment, also involving him and Evangelion curiously enough, was in SRW F, where he actually Bright Slaps Shinji Ikari when he refuses to get in the Eva. Despite the memetic status, it still took Shinji seeing the injured Rei to actually do it, and the slap seemed there for the sake of the reference, since Shinji even replies with Amuro's response from the original Gundam anime pretty much word-for-word.

I've heard of the "Shinji get in the cockpit!" meme before must be written on the Neon Genesis Evangelion "adult protection" I saw one comment mention regarding the over-commercialization of NGE. Overlapping one mecha meme with another all the way back in the 90s, Banpresto has been writing gold for thirty years.

But yeah, it's not the sort of thing one would think to do... which is exactly why it gives you two points. Because it's crazy enough to work. But well, we know how good ramming stuff with battleships can be. Unless you're Captain Lee against the Kurogane...

Hey, Lee wasn't totally stupid. The Titanic Drill/Giant Rotating Ram (I prefer the snappier GBA translation here) is only on the bow of the ship. If he made his desperate charge at an angle and slammed into the starboard or port sides, he could've done some damage. He might've been able to limit damage to the Shirogane itself if he then ejected the bow module mid-attack, since the Shirogane and Hagane can do that (but probably not the Kurogane). Eita and Lefina in that panicked moment also advised evasive maneuvers, it's only because of a certain XO that Lee got screwed.

That said, there is a small detail regarding the event itself. The angel in question was Israfel, the 7th Angel.

Israfel-DSSH-Art.png

*Triggers a thought of SMT*

One of Islam's archangels, associated with music.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But then, SRW is no stranger to this. Sometimes I wonder why Bright never gets to have his own bridge officers or mechanics like Astonaige as subpilots either. I think it took until Unicorn began appearing to get Meran, which 30 repeats due to Narrative, and I think in Alpha 3 he did had Torres as a subpilot. Other than that, he's usually solo in the battleship.

Yeeeash! And here I though subpilots are quintessential SRW battleship stuff. That they need the extra Spirits to be more supportive and useful since their combat potential I take it is often limited. And, I like the captain-XO-operator banter the OG battleships have had. Makes them feel more realistic, emphasizing the gargantuan management efforts the ships are. Meran has been extremely quiet too, not unlike almost all the other non-Drei battleship subpilots when it comes to story, yet even during battle he says nothing. The Godinion subs each get a word in during the Hidden Bow Cannon attack.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Funny you say, since they are named after cars or car brands. Autozam itself is a brand.

Like, this is an Eagle Vision:

Par de Motor de Eagle Vision

And a Geo Metro:

Geo Metro 1.0 (55 Cv) | FICHA TÉCNICA y ESPECIFICACIONES ✓

Zazu is instead named after ZAZ, the Zaporizhzhia Automobile Building Plant, due to initials in Ukranian. His name should probably be Zaz, but the u was kept for some reason when Rayearth got dubbed.

Actually, it's not just them. Just about every character in Rayearth is named the same, after car models or brands. Apparently the writers are car afficionados or something? lol I think only the lead girls aren't part of the theme.

Also, for the lulz. We have the Nissan Cefiro... but the Autozam Clef. Guru Clef was a spy all along!

Then you realize Lantis went to Autozam to begin with because of the Mazda Lantis, and Autozam is a sub-brand of Mazda.

I wasn't expecting any of this.🤣 

Automobiles, being "manly" in a very dated -old enough to have grandchildren- sense of the word to me, is the last thing I would associate with a magical girls' anime.

Other than Autozam though, none of the naming looked suspicious in any way. And I brushed off the Autozam character & machine naming as "well this must be the distinctively high-tech country of Rayearth", as justifying the naming.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Didn't realize there had been that many battleships. I knew Macross and Nadesico had them, and I knew of the Space Battleship Yamato instance is there a Space Battleship Musashi too?, but I wasn't aware of the others. Thank you!😀

I also mistook "Gandl" for "Gandi" at first glance. I joking assumed it must have nukes for weapons, since I've played a fair deal of Civilization.

If you only really play SRW, yeah, it's surprising the number of battleships that just don't get to appear.

I think that's one way to translate it. Gandl, Gandor, Gundoll, etc. Hahaha, well, it does have a nuclear reactor, and it's dragon shaped:

That said, said reactor has a limited life. In Dancougar proper it lasted for the entire TV series, I think, but in SRW Compact 2/Impact it only lasts for the first third of the game. It's basically on its last legs during the first Chapter of the final third, then finally gives out. Thus it stops being playable, making it the only battleship of the game you don't get to use by the end.

I've heard of the "Shinji get in the cockpit!" meme before must be written on the Neon Genesis Evangelion "adult protection" I saw one comment mention regarding the over-commercialization of NGE. Overlapping one mecha meme with another all the way back in the 90s, Banpresto has been writing gold for thirty years.

Indeed. It wouldn't surprise me if it was quite deliberate, since as I posted in a previous video about the Terada interviews, Evangelion got into SRW on the condition a game was made for the Sega Saturn, since Sega was a sponsor of the anime. Thus, SRW F and FF on the Saturn. Which can also explain why the bad ending is the Eva Ending, and Kaworu gets to be a final boss.

Hey, Lee wasn't totally stupid. The Titanic Drill/Giant Rotating Ram (I prefer the snappier GBA translation here) is only on the bow of the ship. If he made his desperate charge at an angle and slammed into the starboard or port sides, he could've done some damage. He might've been able to limit damage to the Shirogane itself if he then ejected the bow module mid-attack, since the Shirogane and Hagane can do that (but probably not the Kurogane). Eita and Lefina in that panicked moment also advised evasive maneuvers, it's only because of a certain XO that Lee got screwed.

Perhaps, but it was still a very risky gamble. He's lucky OGs decided to spare him... only to kill him later in continuity, but still.

Israfel-DSSH-Art.png

*Triggers a thought of SMT*

One of Islam's archangels, associated with music.

As with just about everything with Evangelion, it's only for the exotic angle, not the symbolism. The very writers of Evangelion had long admitted that, heh.

Yeeeash! And here I though subpilots are quintessential SRW battleship stuff. That they need the extra Spirits to be more supportive and useful since their combat potential I take it is often limited. And, I like the captain-XO-operator banter the OG battleships have had. Makes them feel more realistic, emphasizing the gargantuan management efforts the ships are. Meran has been extremely quiet too, not unlike almost all the other non-Drei battleship subpilots when it comes to story, yet even during battle he says nothing. The Godinion subs each get a word in during the Hidden Bow Cannon attack.

Indeed. 30 has the OGs hog much of the attention there, hence even the other battleship captains not pitching much if it's not on missions related to their storylines, unlike previous games. So much less the subpilots.

At least in previous games they would still show up during attacks... which only makes it more jarring that they aren't sub-pilots. Like, in Alpha, plenty of battle quotes with Torres and Saegusa saying something, but... yeah. Or the SDF-1 Macross. Six people on the bridge but it's only Captain Gloval alone playable, despite Lisa and Claudia also showing up a lot in the battle quotes. Eventually SRW did remedied that, for the most part, but the early games? No joy.

I wasn't expecting any of this.🤣 

Automobiles, being "manly" in a very dated -old enough to have grandchildren- sense of the word to me, is the last thing I would associate with a magical girls' anime.

Other than Autozam though, none of the naming looked suspicious in any way. And I brushed off the Autozam character & machine naming as "well this must be the distinctively high-tech country of Rayearth", as justifying the naming.

Hahahaha, indeed. Tells you just how inspiration can come from anywhere. XD

Planet, but yeah. And perhaps not surprisingly, they're based on the US. Not unlike Fahren on East Asia and Chizeta on the Middle East.

On that subject... wish they'd have gone the entire way and made the Chizeta genies playable. lol Still, Giant Sang-Yung is still something. LOL

12 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Chia-Seeds-Wallpaper.jpg

Look at them rebellions.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Damn, I can't believe Xenoblade 3 is another poorly made Hentai game. Who would've guessed.

Armagon speaks the truth, captured on camera.

11 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I mean, Kaga made Vestaria Saga 2 in a cave. With a box of scraps.

Scraps? A box of tissues, more like.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

But like why tho?

Ahahahahahahahaha! I had completely forgotten those!

11 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

So i saw someone mention the jp fanbase is pissed at 3Hopes

I decided to see for myself

WEW

I don't think i have seen that many negative top reviews since CS 4 lmao

Many seem particularly angry about Claude's/Golden Deer treatment

Man, it sure is rough being a Claude fan these days, ain't it?

Meanwhile Ruben:

hat-kid-a-hat-in-time.gif

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought you were used to chest blasters by now. Although gatling guns instead of lasers is unique. 

Oh, you're calling him out on that too? A fellow Xenoblade fan?

Then I feel more comfortable asking, what are you complaining about Armagon? You like Xenoblade!

I wanna say it's totally a matter of context and aesthetics here. Rabbids make it crass, if KOS-MOS strapped two G-Shots to her chest, it'd be completely different.

No, no, too late, I've already gained  sense of validation.

I mean chest guns is a hilarious enough concept that it might improve Xeno slightly, but you didn't hear me say that.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Pls no xD

Gimme toothpaste instead

Man, the fallout when they announce something and it's not Toothpaste is gonna be so bad. We've managed to get ourselves hyped for the shittiest-looking FE imaginable lol

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Man, the fallout when they announce something and it's not Toothpaste is gonna be so bad. We've managed to get ourselves hyped for the shittiest-looking FE imaginable lol

eh

I am mostly treating it as a joke lol

27 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

eh

I am mostly treating it as a joke lol

As much as I hate to admit it, I probably would enjoy it more than whatever Koei actually gives us next.

Oh I didn't think I'd be in Mario+Rabbid's endgame already.

I guess asking for the traditional eight worlds would be too much. At least I got Donkey Kong after this.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

wanna say it's totally a matter of context and aesthetics here. Rabbids make it crass, if KOS-MOS strapped two G-Shots to her chest, it'd be completely different.

Yeah it's the furry effect basically. A human mounting guns to her chest is hot. A rabbit minion doing the same would be a war crime.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Armagon speaks the truth, captured on camera.

This is libel and you'll be hearing from my lawyer soon.

A box of tissues, more like.

A box of tissues left behind by the playtesters who were broken by Kaga's funnies.

.....oh wait, there are none, this man doesn't test his games.

lol. gottem.

Ahahahahahahahaha! I had completely forgotten those!

I like the part where they don't do too much damage but their shots have Bounce, which often results in you getting sent out of bounds, resulting in more damage anyways.

It's actually insane how easy it is to push people out of bounds in this game.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Honestly now at this stage, I do believe Toothpaste is completely fake.

Either it's October release or it doesn't release at all, and with July almost done.....yeah.

...then again, Origami King also only had like a two month marketing period and that game was shadow-announced.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

oh wait, there are none, this man doesn't test his games.

You could apply this to most devs, though! XD

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

lol. gottem.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

You could apply this to most devs, though! XD

Most games are tested. Whether the devs use the feedback is a different matter.

Of course, there is the case of so single devs as well but even then, you'd probably let a few people test the game to get an opinion other than your own. I don't know if Kaga actually has done this (as in, let others test it, not himself).

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A human mounting guns to her chest is hot.

Is it? Is it really? 

Oh that's right, you're American. Never mind!

This is libel and you'll be hearing from my lawyer soon.

I cannot be defeated. I have connections in high places. My uncle works at Nintendo!

A box of tissues left behind by the playtesters who were broken by Kaga's funnies.

.....oh wait, there are none, this man doesn't test his games.

lol. gottem.

That reminds me, the VS team (IE Kaga) actually had the main VS2 localizer give us kudos for a thorough beta testing effort.

It felt nice.

I like the part where they don't do too much damage but their shots have Bounce, which often results in you getting sent out of bounds, resulting in more damage anyways.

It's actually insane how easy it is to push people out of bounds in this game.

And they just come back like it's nothing.

Unless they die. Them they don't.

Honestly now at this stage, I do believe Toothpaste is completely fake.

Either it's October release or it doesn't release at all, and with July almost done.....yeah.

Too bad...

...then again, Origami King also only had like a two month marketing period and that game was shadow-announced.

👀

Edited by Saint Rubenio