• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

21 minutes ago, ping said:

Prester John achievement requires you to remain Coptic christian :(:

(I did that one years ago. But a recent patch added "convert Egypt to Judaism", and Ethiopia is the only tag with Jewish provinces at game start. Not that I mind, the region is genuinely fun to play in)

The "Meet the European Christians" events/missions seem to be still the same - Pope Man still quite likes me because of one of them, although Portugal didn't want to make an alliance. But that might just have been RNG, or them having claims on some of my land.

I didn't say they were smart. And apparently neither's the game.

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Selling a conservative sounds like a win to me

Conservatives are very situational. They gain +1 use of limited use weapons, and if you don't have any, it's a waste of a skill slot. Better to sell them on the free market for reputation.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Conservatives are very situational. They gain +1 use of limited use weapons, and if you don't have any, it's a waste of a skill slot. Better to sell them on the free market for reputation.

"It's just how capitalism works, you sell off suboptimal beings and look for something better next time, it's just business!" He said, selling me off to a weapons contractor with live testing.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I love this qoute lmao

22 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

"It's just how capitalism works, you sell off suboptimal beings and look for something better next time, it's just business!" He said, selling me off to a weapons contractor with live testing.

"Cry me a river."

The actual quote.

22 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

I love this qoute lmao

🙇‍♂️

What can I say. It's not what Xander would've wanted, but it pays for more reactor cores.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

That said, i am not particularly worried.

Some stuff worry me (Culty things in XB3, Kaga jank in VS2) but eh, i will take it unless it's atrocious

I'm on the same boat. It all comes down to execution. I can always expect Takahashi to write a solid plot, even if a few missteps are in the way, and I can always count on Kaga for my daily dose of misogyny lol gottem.

Jokes aside, I will actually get VS2, since remember, that write-up Ruben made convinced me. Not on day one tho.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To the entire Internet?

Nah, I can count on here to be fine.

Bird app and play button app on the other hand....

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The idea that when he least expects it I could tell him that Malos returns in Xenoblade 3 under the secret identity of Bads

Real talk, Malos coming had would be pretty bad.

But on the other hand, Malos is the GOAT

I have officially finished Yakuza Kiwami!

Having played a ton of Yakuza 0, I expected Kiwami's gameplay to be basically the same thing; boy, was I wrong. Yakuza Kiwami takes almost everything that 0 did wrong gameplay-wise and makes it better- From the bosses being way more interesting, to Kiryu's three main styles being much better balanced and even major improvements to the levelling system. In my opinion, the best change was implementing the Change-Up system that allows you to use all your styles in one big combo if you play well, and it makes combat really smooth. And the Tiger Drop is completely hilarious, I absolutely love it.

The finale, though very divisive, was one that I very much enjoyed gameplay-wise. The final boss was truly excellent, and they took me a good seven or eight tries. The story's also still pretty good, though not nearly as flooring as 0 was for me, and while the music we've got is pretty darn good, there's only, like, one theme that every single set-piece uses. Still, For Who's Sake and The Wicked are both balling themes. Finally, the substories in this game are generally a lot weaker than in other Yakuza games; it sticks rather closely to the OG Yakuza 1's, and Yakuza 1 is... Well, y'know...

The other criticisms I have of this game are the Kiwami heat action system which ain't really explained leading to the chapter 3 boss being an absolute tosspot, Dragon Style being waaayyyy too hard to make even remotely viable (Though it is kinda fun running it at low HP) with the exception of the Tiger Drop, and the Arase fight. The Arase fight is bad enough to warrant its own point.

Still, Yakuza Kiwami's gameplay is phenomenal. The challenging bosses actually require you to make use of the different abilities your styles have as opposed to simply just using Beast on everything, the change-up system is fantastic, and it just feels like the culmination of ten years of making games in the Yakuza 3-K1 Engine. As disparaging as I am of Kiwami at times, I really enjoyed it. It also makes me very glad that I am not a completionist. I'd give it a very solid 8.5/10.

Hmmm. If the earliest I can get Xenoblade 3 is on Monday....then I better get started on my monthly Dread replay. Mind you, I'll still be comitting to these, game's that good, but I wanna get this month's out before Xenoblade and Gunvolt.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

I may have uhhh

So did you buy it from someone who got it early, or...?

Meanwhile, I just asked for the day off on the release date like a normal person. I certainly wouldn't spend $20 extra, I need to save that money for Trails.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The beard man, Gustave(?), is actually... Pyra. Yeah, it's Pyra in disguise. She's back to take revenge on the Smash gods for giving her tights. How about that?

She's actually getting revenge on the Smash players who think she's too good... though they might be complaining about Steve now.

Speaking of totally real leaks, I couldn't believe when I learned that Juju and Muimui are the secret rulers of Keves and Agnus... until they are revealed to be merely pawns of the Society of Bana. I almost cried when Captain Padraig, leader of the resistance, sacrificed himself to save the heroes from Omega Rosa.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Real talk, Malos coming had would be pretty bad.

But on the other hand, Malos is the GOAT

I wouldn't mind if he was referenced in some form, since

Spoiler

the Conduit will likely be important to the plot, so Logos, as part of the Trinity Processor, should be acknowledged in some way.

How XC3 connects to previous games, if it has any significant connections, probably won't be important until the end of the game anyhow.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At least escaping with a badly damaged battleship is realistically feasible. How Meki and Serious Not Silly weren't trapped inside Stern and died with it and then got their deceased remains wiped out in the dimension collapse (which was seemingly rewritten into not a complete collapse)... The heroes must've unknowingly taken the two with them during the escape after the final battle.

Well, if you recall, the attack Wendolo uses on Mekiboz basically yeets the target out of the White Star. So... that's how he got out. XD Ironically, what was meant to be his execution by his own brother ended up being the very thing that saved his life... most of it at least, since Mekiboz had to need some cybernetic replacements for missing body parts.

I take it Serious Not Silly is Axel? Well, that was explained in OG Gaiden. The Cry Wolves got in during the fighting and found the wrecked Soulgain, with a still-living Axel inside (thanks to Alfimi's soul using him as an anchor to remain in the world of the living), so they took it all out with them before Stern did its thing.

Yet Geo looks like he could be in Street Fighter or King of Fighters, or maybe Rondo of Blood. Hachimakis aren't American.🇯🇵

If you're going to make any location the most openly automobile-tastic might as well make it the US, that's for sure.

I mean, there's Guile...

Hahaha, true.

It did feel like they were cutting corners at a little with the genies and the Chizeta and Fahren ships not actually as units (NPCs at least, they didn't need to be playable). And Giant Sang-Yung not having attacks other than the mouth laser despite its description implying it could.

When you're relegated to a rarely-visited other dimension, it doesn't surprise me that Rayearth (and Knight's & Magic) don't quite have the presentation/portrayal they might have deserved.

Thanks for all the information BTW!😀

It's something 30 does in general. Lots of units that only show up on the map, but are neither playable or fightable. No other data exists for them, outside dummy/placeholder data perhaps. A notorious example is Musashi in the Far East Front Missions. You see him in his Getter-3... and that's it. At least he's alive, which can't be said for the Musashi of... 95% of everything, SRW or not. XD

And keep in mind 30 still did more than T, which outright wrote out Fahren and Chizeta altogether. Only Autozam showed up, since of the three planets, they are the most critical story-wise. Fahren and Chizeta are only there to show just how coveted the Pillar of Cefiro is. That's all their overall amounts to pretty much. The anime gave them bigger roles than the manga did, but are still just complementary overall. To compensate, T had Autozam show up much earlier than they did in the original manga/anime. To wit, the three off-world factions were Season 2 only, but T had Autozam show up for the late Season 1 events. Though thanks to the freedom 30 gives you, you can have all three there for the Zagato fight too.

Although, on the other other hand, due to the way 30 works, all the Rayearth stuff takes place on Earth. No trips to Cefiro like in T. It kinda gets hilarious with L-Gaim, specially in light they literally brought areas of Pentagona with them to the Sol System, like the freaking capital city of Poseydal's empire. lol I mean, this isn't the first time SRW has transplanted the L-Gaim events to happen mostly on the Solar System, but this is like, the first time they also moved locations from Pentagona as well.

At least they patched it out. Despite being in the earlier waves of DLC, SRW30's Barbatos Lupus Rex still has its Limiter Off command left in Japanese. It's not a problem b/c you can easily figure it out- "new option that wasn't there before and only Mikazuki has it, must be that new ability that unlocked during the last IBO battle". Nonetheless, how do you not fix a basic UI error? Considering SRW's long history of no official translations, it doesn't bother me that much however. Overall it's good for a first try, especially when there is sooooo much writing to translate and proofread.

Ah, yes, I remember my favorite Zanscare mecha: "Error! No match StringID." XD

And then of all mechas to have that error, it was already the memetic Gedlav...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

I love how half this thread is into Xeno hype and the other half into Kaga hype

6nepw3.jpg

Never Forget. The Ace Combat playthroughs no one reacted to at all...

27 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, if you recall, the attack Wendolo uses on Mekiboz basically yeets the target out of the White Star. So... that's how he got out. XD Ironically, what was meant to be his execution by his own brother ended up being the very thing that saved his life... most of it at least, since Mekiboz had to need some cybernetic replacements for missing body parts.

I can't tell if you're joking. Because, if you're not, then did literally nobody get hit by the Degeneracy Cannon? I have seen its OG Gaiden version, devouring the Earth, its Moon and some space surrounding them in a giant black hole should terminate the OGverse right there. And where did the Judecca get its frozen subterranean hell with hungry giant worms from?

It's difficult to take final boss animations seriously.

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I take it Serious Not Silly is Axel? Well, that was explained in OG Gaiden. The Cry Wolves got in during the fighting and found the wrecked Soulgain, with a still-living Axel inside (thanks to Alfimi's soul using him as an anchor to remain in the world of the living), so they took it all out with them before Stern did its thing.

I see. Maybe I shouldn't have asked. But then, what little I've heard of current SRW fan translation projects is putting priority on getting 4 done. Which makes sense, it's the end to the Classicverse when the rest of it barring F & F Final has been translated. And the Super Famicom should be a relative breeze to edit among consoles with all the years of hacking efforts spent on it. So OG Gaiden is probably not in the foreseeable future.

44 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And keep in mind 30 still did more than T, which outright wrote out Fahren and Chizeta altogether. Only Autozam showed up, since of the three planets, they are the most critical story-wise. Fahren and Chizeta are only there to show just how coveted the Pillar of Cefiro is. That's all their overall amounts to pretty much. The anime gave them bigger roles than the manga did, but are still just complementary overall. To compensate, T had Autozam show up much earlier than they did in the original manga/anime. To wit, the three off-world factions were Season 2 only, but T had Autozam show up for the late Season 1 events. Though thanks to the freedom 30 gives you, you can have all three there for the Zagato fight too.

Go to know 30 isn't under-representing things then.

The Rayearth writing is still on the stronger side of 30's to me. The DLC battle where the girls get superdeformed... 🤣. Fuu was great, and why did nobody question Hikaru's momentary cat ears? Also enjoyed the Dark Invitation battle where monsters invade the Drei and all the heroes bust out their foot combat abilities, I didn't realize Daba carried a downsized lightsaber, with a cool CG of him. I appreciated the Sakura Wars characters and the Ultraman trio getting in on it too. I wonder if Sanger would've joined in if I had the expansion pack? And what a shame Gilliam didn't bust out the power suit. I needed a movie clip for the entire little event.

46 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It kinda gets hilarious with L-Gaim, specially in light they literally brought areas of Pentagona with them to the Sol System, like the freaking capital city of Poseydal's empire. lol I mean, this isn't the first time SRW has transplanted the L-Gaim events to happen mostly on the Solar System, but this is like, the first time they also moved locations from Pentagona as well.

I'm all for it! Any ambitious militaristic empire should try to keep the spirit of expansion alive however they can. Having a stationary capital secure from any invasion until the writing is on the wall is a mistake. A capital that is immovable is a capital that becomes decadent, ruled by selfish and incompetent old-blood oligarchs who show no interest in confronting the barbarians at the border, vying instead over titles and palaces that shall be trampled into the earth when the horde reaches the supposedly eternal city.

I thus propose relocating the capital of any and all aggressive space empires to a truly colossal battleship. Forever on the front line of war as boundless as the stars. 

L-Gaim seems like it suffers somewhat from having Daba with the heroes. It's necessary for SRW to work from a gameplay perspective, but the profiles state the whole anime storyline was him leading a rebellion against Posaydal. Daba can't be among the Pentagonians and on the Drei at the same time. Not unless they had written it such that Posaydal had conquered at least part of the Earth or something. Or maybe a tighter, more traditionally formatted SRW where Daba spends most of the route splits in space where the Pentagonians are could've worked. I'm just spitballing here.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can't tell if you're joking. Because, if you're not, then did literally nobody get hit by the Degeneracy Cannon? I have seen its OG Gaiden version, devouring the Earth, its Moon and some space surrounding them in a giant black hole should terminate the OGverse right there. And where did the Judecca get its frozen subterranean hell with hungry giant worms from?

It's difficult to take final boss animations seriously.

Probably not. Or just survived through sheer will. I mean, if the Alpha Numbers can hold off Instrumentality for enough time to stop it, then what can really do...

From the actual Judecca, the fourth section of the Ninth Circle of Hell? If I recall, Levi also tends to name Caina in her battle quotes, which is another of the four sections. Another section, Antenora, is a Ze Balmary mecha. Can't recall if the last one, Ptolomea, is referenced anywhere.

Okay, after a quick check, Ptolomea is an attack of Euzzeth's black Judecca.

After another check, all four are the attacks of both Judecca's. Caina, Antenora, Ptolomea, and Judecca.

Symbolism!

I see. Maybe I shouldn't have asked. But then, what little I've heard of current SRW fan translation projects is putting priority on getting 4 done. Which makes sense, it's the end to the Classicverse when the rest of it barring F & F Final has been translated. And the Super Famicom should be a relative breeze to edit among consoles with all the years of hacking efforts spent on it. So OG Gaiden is probably not in the foreseeable future.

Ah, indeed. A shame it's not for the PSX versions of the entire Classicverse, heh. Still, the originals would be the easiest to translate since, yeah, NES and SNES games, and we're down to just 4, F, and FF missing fan translations.

Go to know 30 isn't under-representing things then.

The Rayearth writing is still on the stronger side of 30's to me. The DLC battle where the girls get superdeformed... 🤣. Fuu was great, and why did nobody question Hikaru's momentary cat ears? Also enjoyed the Dark Invitation battle where monsters invade the Drei and all the heroes bust out their foot combat abilities, I didn't realize Daba carried a downsized lightsaber, with a cool CG of him. I appreciated the Sakura Wars characters and the Ultraman trio getting in on it too. I wonder if Sanger would've joined in if I had the expansion pack? And what a shame Gilliam didn't bust out the power suit. I needed a movie clip for the entire little event.

Oh, yeah, that one. XD T also had a "Chibified" DLC map, which was better since it also included the Gunbuster ladies. Because they also would appear chibi, though not in the anime itself like in Rayearth did. Rather, there were like post-episode segments that served part actual science lessons of stuff that showed up in the anime, and part fictional science lessons for the stuff made up. I recall one being about the Solar System, and Noriko would cosplay as the Sailor Senshi as she named the planets. Though only up to Jupiter, since Sailor Moon had yet to reach the point of introducing the Outer Senshi. And it's in those segments that the characters would appear chibi. And yeah, Hikaru would always sport the cat ears/tail out of nowhere when she went chibi and it was never acknowledged. lol

The things we can miss since it's all about the mechas, heh.

We are long gone from moments like this:

Haha, yeah, would've been a neat reference if Gilliam still had his original power suit Gespenst.

Hmm, now I have to check that out if Sanger joins, heh.

I'm all for it! Any ambitious militaristic empire should try to keep the spirit of expansion alive however they can. Having a stationary capital secure from any invasion until the writing is on the wall is a mistake. A capital that is immovable is a capital that becomes decadent, ruled by selfish and incompetent old-blood oligarchs who show no interest in confronting the barbarians at the border, vying instead over titles and palaces that shall be trampled into the earth when the horde reaches the supposedly eternal city.

I thus propose relocating the capital of any and all aggressive space empires to a truly colossal battleship. Forever on the front line of war as boundless as the stars. 

L-Gaim seems like it suffers somewhat from having Daba with the heroes. It's necessary for SRW to work from a gameplay perspective, but the profiles state the whole anime storyline was him leading a rebellion against Posaydal. Daba can't be among the Pentagonians and on the Drei at the same time. Not unless they had written it such that Posaydal had conquered at least part of the Earth or something. Or maybe a tighter, more traditionally formatted SRW where Daba spends most of the route splits in space where the Pentagonians are could've worked. I'm just spitballing here.

Yeah, well, the thing is, the capital, Sveat, is an actual city on a planet surface. So they literally pulled a Patrick, took the city and PUSHED IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. LOL

Okay, actually, if you read the description of the initial L-Gaim mission, they really put the city into a ship. Or rebuilt it. Or somehow. It's now a city-ship, basically.

Well, when most of Pentagona moves out... makes sense Daba would do so too and join up with the locals to keep fighting against Poseydal, now does it? Before 30, usually Poseydal would decide to expand the Empire to the Solar System after somehow finding a way there, so Daba still has reason to be with the heroes while on the Earth Sphere. Well, in those cases you do have Poseydal forces roaming Earth, so still works. If L-Gaim had appeared in Shin, that would've fit nicely. L-Gaim would be on the Space route, and it'd work as you propose.

But yeah, as it is, I think Pentagona itself only showed up in the first Compact, and we actually go there to bring the fight to Poseydal's doorstep after pushing them back out of the Earth Sphere. And some of the remaining enemy factions also take the chance to retreat to Pentagona and ally with Poseydal, like Minister Olban of Daimos and Glemmy Toto of Neo Zeon. Can't recall of any other cases we get to go there, though.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Okay, most current stuff on northern The Reach is done. I now shifted focus to the south. Still got a fair bit of stuff left to do, but I'll do it... next time.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm on the same boat. It all comes down to execution. I can always expect Takahashi to write a solid plot, even if a few missteps are in the way, and I can always count on Kaga for my daily dose of misogyny lol gottem.

Yeah, well, Xenoblade has mysogyny too. Have you seen Dahlia? You lose this argument.

...honestly tho, I really do wish I could have a version of Kaga without the mysogyny, frankly. The man is capable of writing good female characters when he's not using all of them to satisfy his sexual repression. Berwick is a good example of this. It has a few shenanigans here and there, but it treats most of its girls with respect. But in Vestaria he's just fucking unleashed lol. You can tell he had people holding him back a bit in the Berwick days. Dude really could use an editor or just a friend to go "hey Shouzou-san, stop."

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Jokes aside, I will actually get VS2, since remember, that write-up Ruben made convinced me. Not on day one tho.

Yay, I am winner. Well, when (if) you do get to it, I hope it's the second good Kaga game so we can finally agree on something. Namely, Karajan Saga.

5 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

She's actually getting revenge on the Smash players who think she's too good... though they might be complaining about Steve now.

Smash fans and Pyra fans are natural enemies. Like Smash fans and Steve fans. And Smash fans and Bayonetta fans. And Smash fans and Meta Knight fans. And Smash fans and other Smash fans. Damned Smash fans! They ruined Smash Bros!

Fun fact: oscar in Irish translates to Warrior, Hero.

Oscar and Boyd should've switched classes.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

6nepw3.jpg

Never Forget. The Ace Combat playthroughs no one reacted to at all...

Jeez, it was so far back I don't remember the time that was.

I mean, I looked at one or two videos liked to the series but that's about it.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...honestly tho, I really do wish I could have a version of Kaga without the mysogyny, frankly. The man is capable of writing good female characters when he's not using all of them to satisfy his sexual repression. Berwick is a good example of this. It has a few shenanigans here and there, but it treats most of its girls with respect. But in Vestaria he's just fucking unleashed lol. You can tell he had people holding him back a bit in the Berwick days. Dude really could use an editor or just a friend to go "hey Shouzou-san, stop."

And this is why Path of Radiance is the best Fire Emblem.
...even though Berwick Saga compares to it like Mario 64 does to Bubsy 3D. Like holy crap, it's so bad.

And of course everything IS released those last 10 years is like "lol". They even added more damsel stuff to freaking Gaiden.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. is good, though. Even freaking Lucina is fun in that game. Not Robin, though.

Edited by BrightBow

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

And this is why Path of Radiance is the best Fire Emblem.

I probably would like PoR if it was a game that was at least slightly more enjoyable than PE classes. It does have Titania, after all. Titania is rad.

...even though Berwick Saga compares to it like Mario 64 does to Bubsy 3D. Like holy crap, it's so bad.

...yeeeeeeeeeeeah. Exactly.

And of course everything IS released those last 10 years is like "lol". They even added more damsel stuff to freaking Gaiden.

Haha, I do find that rather hilarious. It takes some talent to out-damsel Kaga. And I cannot hate IntSys, they created Garon.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. is good, though. Even Lucina is fun in that game.

Eyyy!

Not Robin, though.

Oof.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They ruined Smash Bros!

Speaking of this, i seen a video where someone played in a melee tournament using a guitar as a controller. How tf do you even play melee with a guitar and get proper movement?!

Wait, Live a Live comes out tomorrow? It legit snuck up on me lol. I could've sworn it was next week or something.

Well, no matter. I can acquire it during the weekend and play it alongside Into The Breach, or after. Whatever I feel like.

When i get to play XC3, i'm probably gonn disappear till i'm done with the game. I'm one of those that has to talk in these kinda situations, and since i don't wanna spoil anything for anyone, i think i'll just stay away for the time being. I would hate to ruin the enjoyment for someone else.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I really do wish I could have a version of Kaga without the mysogyny, frankly.

Kaga when he plays Super Princess Peach, a game where the girl has to rescue the guy

Screen_Shot_2020-09-03_at_1.37.58_PM.jpg

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I hope it's the second good Kaga game so we can finally agree on something

There actually are two good Kaga games, it's just that we don't agree on one of them.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Kaga when he plays Super Princess Peach, a game where the girl has to rescue the guy

Screen_Shot_2020-09-03_at_1.37.58_PM.jpg

Been tempted to play that one. Got a completely legit copy on my Nintendo PC, but I never got around to it.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

There actually are two good Kaga games, it's just that we don't agree on one of them.

I keep forgetting you did admit Berwick's good, you just didn't jibe with the game.

Unless you're talking about FE3, in which case you're wrong and ugly