Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

yeah, i wont miss crit cut-ins. this look better and less interrupting than giving us face portrait

is that Shimono hiro that voice JP Alear , first Jap Vander  got rougher voice, then Framme has less irritating-high-pitched voice, now this. JP dub it is

really KONAMI?! not a pachislot game this time???

they actually re-draw the character portrait for Suikoden 1 even. whats gotten into konami these days

im sure they are just riding on Eiyuuden hype since its from the director of 1st and 2nd suikoden anyway

Edited by joevar

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

34 minutes ago, joevar said:

isnt that confirmed since announcement trailer? but its nice to see it again, especially this time its crit animation

I was... pretty sure about it from the trailer, but here it can be seen plain as day.

Spinning horses are gone. Much rejoicing to be had. Thanks Vandad.

31 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

RIP the spin.

This still be cool tho.

Rest in pepperoni indeed.

23 minutes ago, joevar said:

they actually re-draw the character portrait for Suikoden 1 even. whats gotten into konami these days

im sure they are just riding on Eiyuuden hype since its from the director of 1st and 2nd suikoden anyway

Oh hey, it's the game that inspired Exit Fate.

8 hours ago, joevar said:

about price... yeah pre lulua more affordable. but Lulua Sophie, and Ryza price is really something else in my Steam regional price. they cost way more than the likes of Forza horizon, Elden Ring , or other triple A games tha I've wishliested. Ryza even +30% more expensive than Elden ring,  LMAO

What is going on over there lmao?

Everything Rorona and onwards is on modern consoles (not Xbox lol) so check the Switch or whatever else you have.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

HORSES CONFIRMED TO NO LONGER DEFY LAWS OF PHYSICS WITH DUMN SPINNING ANIMATIONS

I like how the other guy goes flying back but hits the little ledge and stops.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

ATTENTION

ATTENTION

STOP THE PRESSES

HORSES CONFIRMED TO NO LONGER DEFY LAWS OF PHYSICS WITH DUMN SPINNING ANIMATIONS

#BETTERTHAN3HOUSES

Also, Vandad preview.

I like that crit alot!

Time for a shimp minilysis

Cv251ur.png

Seems like we can see the skills affecting units on the top right. Vander here has his own skill and is under effect of MC's Inspire skill

UNFq4Rq.png

Seems like Weapon Triangle will mainly affect break? It alone won't be enough to break an enemy, but it seems it's one of the conditions.

However it seems Triangle won't effect Hit/Mt?

i3COMQ4.png

Early game dropable beard has 103 Hit, and has 93  hit against an early game lance enemy, implying no hit bonuses. Same with the enemy having 90 hit on him, so no hit penalty for the enemy. With 15 avo and WT advantage you'd expect an early game enemy to have less than 90 hit unless the enemy has like 120 hit or something...which i doubt.

Speaking about stats, seems like Vander's speed is lowered here. Is it due to being weighted down by an Iron Axe?

I do like however that Vander has such low spd, means he can't just double all enemies until midgame and kill them like all Jagens tend do. Will do a much better job at softening enemies for others

Edited by Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I like how the other guy goes flying back but hits the little ledge and stops.

Lol I didn't notice that. Guess it can't be perfect.

41 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Is Eliwood's majestic flying horse any better, though? XD

It didn't spin, at least.

18 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

I like that crit alot!

Me too.

UNFq4Rq.png

Can I just say I really like how this map looks? It's so pretty with all the faded blues.

Early game dropable beard

Fuck you I'll take him to endgame

Speaking about stats, seems like Vander's speed is lowered here. Is it due to being weighted down by an Iron Axe?

I do like however that Vander has such low spd, means he can't just double all enemies until midgame and kill them like all Jagens tend do. Will do a much better job at softening enemies for others

It's part of why General Arran is one of my favorite jeigans. He can tank really well, but he'll rarely, if ever, kill due to his very low speed.

Anyway, Vander continues to prove he's awesome.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ruben returns to Trails character arc because of Cold Steel stupidity

Return of Factory Worker Garon.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's part of why General Arran is one of my favorite jeigans. He can tank really well, but he'll rarely, if ever, kill due to his very low speed.

Are you on board with "Inflation usually isn't for the best as well"?

3 hours ago, joevar said:

My opinion of Suikoden is rather low, but I'm happy for those who enjoyed these!

3 hours ago, joevar said:

Good. Suiko I's portraits applied waaaaaaay too much bronzer, well, some of them.

18 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

(I know the question is not directed at me)

Depends on game.

Low stats in FE4-FE9 didn't work at all because once one unit get's lucky they will just solo the damn game, or any unit with good bases will do that really. You have to keep enemy stats very low as well so players don't get rng screwed

Awakening and 3H went too much in the other direction.

2 games i think did it right

Fates with it's stats between GBA and Awake3H, and mid caps (~30 usually) depending on class and good growths. Allows enemy to be strong as well and player is very unlikely to get screwed.

Berwick with it's super low growth + Bracketing. Ensures units always operate similiar to expected.

One little thing I've been noticing is that it appears you no longer choose the tile to which a character is going to move, but rather freely move the character from tile to tile. It's a tiny detail, but I expect to spend at least 10 second running in circles with Vander.

27 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Like Shrimpy, I feel it depends, though I tend to prefer lower stats.

17 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

(I know the question is not directed at me)

Depends on game.

Low stats in FE4-FE9 didn't work at all because once one unit get's lucky they will just solo the damn game, or any unit with good bases will do that really. You have to keep enemy stats very low as well so players don't get rng screwed

Awakening and 3H went too much in the other direction.

2 games i think did it right

Fates with it's stats between GBA and Awake3H, and mid caps (~30 usually) depending on class and good growths. Allows enemy to be strong as well and player is very unlikely to get screwed.

Berwick with it's super low growth + Bracketing. Ensures units always operate similiar to expected.

Low stats? FE4? When you have +20's attached to weapons, i think "low stats" is gone out the window lmao. Take Holy weapons out of the equation and i think the game isn't that bad honestly.

I wouldn't say PoR is low numbers either with their current skill system in place making numbers rocket upwards.

But is it really fair to penalise the player for getting lucky? I mean, doesn't that say alot about their growth system honestly being flawed?

I can't say on Fates cause i don't play the normal game anymore so i don't really care haha.

As for Berwick, yeah it's system is fine tuned around low numbers though, and it works really well when done right!

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Like Shrimpy, I feel it depends, though I tend to prefer lower stats.

Mmkay, interesting!

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Take Holy weapons out of the equation and i think the game isn't that bad honestly.

Even without Holy weapons someone like Sigurd just soloes half the game

And only half because BBQ was way too tasty he falls off after that

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

But is it really fair to penalise the player for getting lucky? I mean, doesn't that say alot about their growth system honestly being flawed?

It's not about penalising, but about how it breaks the game.

Games with low-ish stats that are not Berwick are very very very easy to break and become a snoozefest mainly because you can't make the enemies too strong so the player doesn't get rng screwed.

If you make the enemies too strong with low stats you would punish the player for being unlucky, which just sucks.

So either keep all stats low like Berwick, or make em moderatly high ala Fates but not too high, so you can make enemies strong without fearing player RNG screwage

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

What is going on over there lmao?

Everything Rorona and onwards is on modern consoles (not Xbox lol) so check the Switch or whatever else you have.

dont know. its like Koei Tecmo want to be a hipster and charge game with high price despite everyone else change it (usually become lower than directly converting it from USD price) accordingly to the region pricing scheme. Not just atelier, but every KT game like that. Thats okay,.... except its not since every KT game has so many DLC too... 

dunno about xbox not having atelier. but i primarily play on PC #PCMASTERRACE

which atelier you recommend other than Ryza? *Rorona onward all available on steam, even the spin off Nelke

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My opinion of Suikoden is rather low, but I'm happy for those who enjoyed these!

Good. Suiko I's portraits applied waaaaaaay too much bronzer, well, some of them.

as low as non FE fans opinion toward FE?

i actually commend them for doing that... because theres more than 110 of them (counting villain and important NPC).  i mean, FE artists cant even do 2 games without overlapping character design. it was pixelated before, now its like 2D HD portrait ala newer FE. 

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh hey, it's the game that inspired Exit Fate.

dunnow what that is, but cool i guess

5 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Even without Holy weapons someone like Sigurd just soloes half the game

And only half because BBQ was way too tasty he falls off after that

It's not about penalising, but about how it breaks the game.

Games with low-ish stats that are not Berwick are very very very easy to break and become a snoozefest mainly because you can't make the enemies too strong so the player doesn't get rng screwed.

If you make the enemies too strong with low stats you would punish the player for being unlucky, which just sucks.

So either keep all stats low like Berwick, or make em moderatly high ala Fates but not too high, so you can make enemies strong without fearing player RNG screwage

But Sigurd isn't a "low numbers" character by any means either haha.

I dunno, you might be right, but i feel like dealing 60 damage average just makes the game a one shot fest, which goes against what strategy is supposed to stand for.

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I dunno, you might be right, but i feel like dealing 60 damage average just makes the game a one shot fest, which goes against what strategy is supposed to stand for.

Depends on how it's handled.

You can have someone with 60Atk but with low Def, means he is player phase glass cannon, and thus while can one shot, it's only once per turn.

Or you can do it Fates and stop juggernauting with skills/debuffs, etc.

It all depends on te execution.

19 minutes ago, joevar said:

as low as non FE fans opinion toward FE?

Well, in my case, it was that I fell into the trap of being overhyped about Suikoden II as a masterpiece. It's better than Suikoden I, but I can't feel the praise some people give it. Combat was still simplistic, the new SRPG army battles were worse than the rock-paper-scissor army battles of the first game. The narrative was better, yet it still ran into a few issues the first game had. 

Overall? Suikoden II hadn't aged the best, though I wouldn't call the game bad. It remains a product of its era and genre, and in my case not the first game I'd suggest having somebody reach for from that time. Still solidly b-tier though.

Speaking of Suikoden II's faults, looks like they're using new translations. As they should, Suiko II had a flawed and at points incomprehensible translation. Which was not uncharacteristic of the age, FFVII the most impactful JRPG of the PS1 also had a shoddy translation.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, in my case, it was that I fell into the trap of being overhyped about Suikoden II as a masterpiece. It's better than Suikoden I, but I can't feel the praise some people give it.

Speaking of Suikoden II's faults, looks like they're using new translations. As they should, Suiko II had a flawed and at points incomprehensible translation. Which was not uncharacteristic of the age, FFVII the most impactful JRPG of the PS1 also had a shoddy translation.

i dont either.. but in my case because its my brother who played the second game, while im playing and finished the first game XD

its overhyped. no arguing about that. even as suikoden (1) fans i felt that too. but theres just no game that doing what it does. an RPG that recruits so many people that put SRPG to shame, castle mechanic thats more interesting than garreg mach even 2 decade later, and some other small tidbits like how they manage to draw +110 people in one game (going from awakening to fates already cause some char design to overlap, its not even 100 combined char in total iirc). other than that, its standard RPG no other way around it.

It's lore O'Clock. in spoilers to minimise annoyance for those who don't want to look.

Spoiler

PitD.png

I've said it a couple times the last while, but I think it's time to retrieve it. The journey of a thousand bonks begins with the first step. I've no idea how I'll do it, but I have one idea where to start looking and it's past this desert.

*steps onto sand, sinks a foot in

Oh no.

28 minutes ago, joevar said:

Wait it lives? And they put 2 together?

I'll keep an eye on this, see what happens.

(I'd say it's less Eiyuuden itself as much as it is a general increased interest in 2D RPG gaming generally.)

2 hours ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

I suspected that was going on seeing Alear's Spd lowered in the first trailer.

12 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

wait wut

are you serious lmao

And this is?

I'm not opening as I'm out in the open and the Genshin risk is too much.

11 minutes ago, joevar said:

its overhyped. no arguing about that. even as suikoden (1) fans i felt that too. but theres just no game that doing what it does. an RPG that recruits so many people that put SRPG to shame, castle mechanic thats more interesting than garreg mach even 2 decade later, and some other small tidbits like how they manage to draw +110 people in one game (going from awakening to fates already cause some char design to overlap, its not even 100 combined char in total iirc).

There are some ideas are good in Suikoden, don't get me wrong. The base was nice. The huge cast -if inevitably underdeveloped with 108 members- wasn't a bad idea either. Narratively, while the True Runes exist, Suikoden is relatively down to earth, none of that godslaying nonsense the JRPG genre is sometimes satirically associated with. There are things about the Suikoden franchise that I would consider worth re-exploring in a modern game (meaning- I won't rule out buying Eiyuden Chronicle).

48 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Wait it lives? And they put 2 together?

I'll keep an eye on this, see what happens.

(I'd say it's less Eiyuuden itself as much as it is a general increased interest in 2D RPG gaming generally.)

yeah. they actually re draw character portrait even. now it looks even better than Suikoden 2 portrait imo. look at kirkis and leknaat portrait, thats some crisp portrait for a remaster.

also im guessing they now put new intro to suikoden 1. since i dont remember it had cutscene

at least im interested to see all the character portrait now, since some of them are too blur in in the original game

and then this blatant lie also spoil my childhood:

Suikoden_US.jpg

i never seen them in game 🥴

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There are some ideas are good in Suikoden, don't get me wrong. The base was nice. The huge cast -if inevitably underdeveloped with 108 members- wasn't a bad idea either. Narratively, while the True Runes exist, Suikoden is relatively down to earth, none of that godslaying nonsense the JRPG genre is sometimes satirically associated with. There are things about the Suikoden franchise that I would consider worth re-exploring in a modern game (meaning- I won't rule out buying Eiyuden Chronicle).

i get it/you. and i dont even realize the story quite down to earth either, unless you point it out. i guess godslaying has become everyone breakfast we just accept it as is lol

Edited by joevar