• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Enjoy! I myself will probably join you in playing the Steam version haha.

The poor Switch performance was sadly enough to push me away from going with that. Steam will also make it a bit easier to share notable screenshots for me (I'll try not to overdo it).

I do prefer my games to be on Switch, and physical if possible. The tangibility, illusion of ownership, and digital purchases just don't feel like a "real" gift (and I don't ask for much physical stuff as is). There is also the veeeeeeeeeeery slight peculiarity of controllers. With a console, everything is properly mapped from the start since there is a basic controller to set things around, with PC, there is no standard controller, though button remapping isn't the real issue. A gaming console and controller feel like one whole, whereas with a PC, the controller, the system, and the ingame controller image/button icons don't match. And PCs have the Internet and a bunch of other functions too, distractions, things not relevant to the game itself. Don't get wrong, this is an extremely wordy minor nitpick 😅, I enjoying pc gaming just fine. But once in a long while I get the very negligible feeling of "this is a game, it's not "natural"" in a way I wouldn't if I was playing on a console.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, gonna be quite a while for me to get it, heh. Enjoy!

I get that feeling with other games All. The. Time! I can empathize.😆

3 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

*Thomas the Tank Engine theme plays as she spams Raging Storm

But then Rhea/Claude shows up vowing to end the Raging Winds.

What are the chances that art exists?

I mean there could be much worse. This would just be silly. -Still not going to go look and risk seeing irrelevant stuff I wish I could unsee.

A board game and D&D books this time, the latter (Along with mimic plush) as a prod to do some DM'ing, which I am completely inexperienced on but know it'll take some time investment to deliver on for the table, so that's exactly what I need /s

I'm not exactly familiar with D&D, the mud of the Tigris and Euphrates from which the role-playing-games began, I'm not that kind of nerd.🤓 But besides assuring the rules stay followed (I assume), what are the other responsibilities of the Dog Masseur/se? Effective storytelling for the campaign? Testing kitchen appliances for the weird man whose basement you live in? 

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Just finished Heart of Darkness today.

My brain is too smooth for this...

How bad can a novel linked to late 19th century European imperialism be?

If you want to polish your brain into a coarse powder in ten pages or less, consider the 18th century philosopher Immanuel Kant's Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics. It was probably the most difficult thing I had to read in all of college.😆 I'm sure our brilliant Shrimpy has it memorized in the original German. And keep in mind, Kant wrote the Prolegomena because the great intellectuals of his day failed to comprehend his true masterpiece the Critique of Pure Reason, which was only later heralded as a landmark in the history of European philosophy.

57 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

No videogames for me as well, just an overwhelming amount of books.

I wouldn't mind receiving books as gifts... I just don't know which. Academia has a lot, and now that I'm out of college, I don't have professors anymore who could give me lists of what's the best and most fascinating in the various fields.

57 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

But that's the part of the bible with Christ in it, and he isn't conservative enough for all the weirdos who hide behind Christianity to be blatantly evil to other people.

I thought I read that Marx once commented to the effect that the Bible wasn't exactly pro-communism. And I know from academic readings (I forget what exactly) that some 1950s American Christian conservatives found the job given to them by ardent capitalists to wed the Bible to laissez-faire economics wasn't the easiest task either. Leo Tolstoy the famed author became a Christian anarchist in his later years.

Christianity is Christianity. In their totalities, I have my doubts that any religion perfectly aligns with any political/social/economic ideology. I guess one must have faith that their interpretation of the scriptures aligns with the ultimate reality/deity of the universe the believer professes to believe in. -Doesn't help the victims of certain interpretations, I can't ignore millennia of that very human cost. Nor can I deny that there are interpretations that I -a hopefully kind & polite agnostic who wouldn't say "religion ruins everything"- would prefer predominant over others.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Fun fact, Period blood has a very different smell, because more than blood is just being expelled. You can really smell the iron in fresh blood, whereas it isn't as overpowering in period blood...

Maybe some of Lonato's soldiers were on their periods during the battle

That's cool! You do learn new things periodically.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How bad can a novel linked to late 19th century European imperialism be?

For me, it's mostly the language that goes clean over my head. Something about the way it's written made my head hurt... Maybe it's the formatting? I'm not too sure. I think I get some of the themes and symbolism and such... I just have no idea what actually happens in the book.

...Plus the part where my copy of the book was missing four pages doesn't help.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And keep in mind, Kant wrote the Prolegomena because the great intellectuals of his day failed to comprehend his true masterpiece the Critique of Pure Reason, which was only later heralded as a landmark in the history of European philosophy.

"Make them an offer they Kant refuse"-Emmanuel Kant, probably

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, got distracted by a Monopoly match (that I won, yay), but back on schedule...

Did you dominate from the off?

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

yes, this is gonna enter harem shenanigans, just you wait.

And here I thought SRW was safe from this.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Well, it can be easy to forget for those of us who don't have 'em!

Spoiler

I'm miffed because I thought of her backstory, then you come in with the simple answer that makes sense in all contexts.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The gremlin got 10.

This is not surprising.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not exactly familiar with D&D, the mud of the Tigris and Euphrates from which the role-playing-games began, I'm not that kind of nerd.🤓 But besides assuring the rules stay followed (I assume), what are the other responsibilities of the Dog Masseur/se? Effective storytelling for the campaign? Testing kitchen appliances for the weird man whose basement you live in? 

I only got into playing D&D last year, my prior tabletop experience was a bunch of 1-offs in various systems over years and a Degenesis campaign that died off after a few months.

You'll be doing the planning around the scenario as a whole, which might involve planning for players going off the rails, knowing the stats off for what you're going to use in each session if you don't want to be scrambling to manuals all the time, possibly drawing out maps for the players to give them an idea of the layout of rooms or areas (maybe printing off physical maps, possibly using some software to draw them up, all kinda contextual) and all this is if you're not needing to sort out miniatures yourself. Thankfully I know someone in the campaign I'm playing in I could probably ask for some time using a 3D printer (and probably pay for it because there's a difference between them offering to print your character and that) if it had to come to that, but that ignores painting, which I'm also getting suggested to me and on that, I'd be concerned because I'm pretty sure dex is my dump stat if cha isn't.

10 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

It has been brought to my attention that it is now a new year.

Unfortunately, I am only concerned with the turning clocks of the world in which her beloved majesty Edelgard lives, so I have nothing to say.

I wish I had something witty to say in response to this beautiful line.

You're a mad genius, Quentin.

i4YVodg.jpgLUekewZ.jpg

Who the hell goes on a date with full armor on.

Someone who exists in a game that did not have the budget for non-armored generic knights. Just like it didn't have the budget for non-generic bosses in half of its paralogues. Annette's friggin' uncle is this exact generic, actually.

Anyway, armor can be hella attractive. Clearly this man believes he can better seduce her with a badass suit of armor. Too bad he looks like a bucket instead.

41TzC2H.jpg4X4Mic8.jpg

Lonato: "Genuine and heartbreaking grievance with the church"

Catherine: Teehee, cartoon action hero one-liner.

You're telling me I'm supposed to root for these idiots and the only route where I'm against them is one where I have to side with a tankie?!

Well, she's hot and he isn't, you see. This is how the world works.

More from Lonato was one of the things I would've liked to see out of Hopes. But Hopes was more interested in delivering a no-character waifu and Hilda simping. Because Fodlan, if nothing else, is consistent in its "one step forth, three steps back" approach to everything.

ZWCLk80.jpg

“He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”

That's a fucking bible quote by the way, and I think me quoting the bible is a sign of how insane this adventure has driven me.

The things Edie has you doing. Soon you'll be praying at an edelshrine in the dark depths of your closet.

8 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I wasn’t expecting to see Weeping Angel Watson today, but here we are.

Neither was I, but it made me very happy. Even the devs are in on the joke, from what I've seen. They made this video close to the release of one of their more modern games, Crimes and Punishment, and if I'm not mistaken, they even went out of their way to add Weeping Watson as a toggleable option for absolutely no reason other than it's funny and people love it. In another game, Sinking City, they added an easter egg poster that said "Sherlock Holmes and the mystery of the creepy Watson" as a direct reference to the old video. In their most recent game they even made the (non-Watson) sidekick teleport all over the place as a plot point.

Me, I was too busy having memories of the museum flood in to be scared by Watson's shenanigans.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

10 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Got no video games this year. A board game and D&D books this time, the latter (Along with mimic plush) as a prod to do some DM'ing, which I am completely inexperienced on but know it'll take some time investment to deliver on for the table, so that's exactly what I need /s

Not that I have no interest mind, just I realise that issue.

Me, I got a scarf.

...We are not a festive people.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The poor Switch performance was sadly enough to push me away from going with that

Ngl lowkey same. Granted i only cleared the first three dungeons so it's not like i'll be losing a lot. But i wish the Switch version ran better. Plus this means i won't have Margaret and Doug in my town.

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

IIrc you can't advance the quest with them in the Team, no?

You can't enter the ship with them but you can do anything else prior.

4 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Well, sometimes the licenses used come with established love triangles (L-Gaim, G Gundam) or more built into them, that I have seen in my limited experience. As for OG characters, so far I haven't seen Banpresto go beyond the typical 1m:2f triangles (which don't necessarily mean one person's love goes unrequited while the other two hula, more often it's the guy doesn't neither dates nor commits to either woman). Once different licenses and the original stuff collide, that sounds like it's where things can get out of hand. -But you know it's all silly in that case then.😛

You'll be doing the planning around the scenario as a whole, which might involve planning for players going off the rails,

Brilliant WTF Management is the mark of a true Dungeon Master?

possibly drawing out maps for the players to give them an idea of the layout of rooms or areas

Yeaaaaah, I'll stick to Etrian Odyssey for a taste of old school-ish dungie drawing.😝

(maybe printing off physical maps, possibly using some software to draw them up, all kinda contextual)

Software? Printers? I'm pretty sure increasing digitization has made the home printer an endangered species since the end of the '00s. Not helped by them not working half the time and ink being overpriced.

and all this is if you're not needing to sort out miniatures yourself. Thankfully I know someone in the campaign I'm playing in I could probably ask for some time using a 3D printer (and probably pay for it because there's a difference between them offering to print your character and that)

I know sometime in the past decade that 3D printers were considered speculated by some techies to become a standard household device. That obviously didn't happen.

Really, you might need to use a product that might not be old enough to drink or vote? I'm sure players back in the 80s didn't have those!

So... I wish ye luck! Dungeon "Master"? Sounds more like a wedding planner or restaurant owner & chef. If you're in command and used to it, it can probably be quite enjoyable. However, if you're inexperienced, and if the clients/customers control the situation and or you're really afraid of messing up, sounds more like Dungeon "Servant", to put it slightly nicely.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Did you dominate from the off?

Not quite. Though my dominance began when I exchanged property cards with my brother and cousin so I could get the entire first row of properties and thus build hotels. It basically cascaded from there. I won mostly thanks to owning the cheapest hotels, go figure!

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, sometimes the licenses used come with established love triangles (L-Gaim, G Gundam) or more built into them, that I have seen in my limited experience. As for OG characters, so far I haven't seen Banpresto go beyond the typical 1m:2f triangles (which don't necessarily mean one person's love goes unrequited while the other two hula, more often it's the guy doesn't neither dates nor commits to either woman). Once different licenses and the original stuff collide, that sounds like it's where things can get out of hand. -But you know it's all silly in that case then.😛

I wouldn't call it not being safe, but yes, it's there.

Hahaha, you should definitely see Masoukishin or J, then, Interdimensional. XD Still, even when they exist, they aren't put into focus too much. Definitely brought up every now and then, but they're never the focus. Still, I would say perhaps T is the only extreme version of this (as in, having multiple people interested in the same person), that I know of so far anyway, and even then it's still not the focus. Like, scenes like that one between the SS3 girls is probably only something brought up every 3-4 scenarios and only for a couple sentences. I suppose it helps all the license stuff helps to "drown" it, and even the OG storyline does. So it's something that's there, and that's mostly it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hahaha, you should definitely see Masoukishin or J, then, Interdimensional.

For J, I somehow forgot that there are three lady subpilots.😅

As for Masoukishin, is there more than just Masa + Shu and their two lovers apiece although Tud/tti is an odd complication? Akurasu has a rough translation of part of Revelation of Evil God (only Yang Long's path/ending), I did read through that, and I don't think I was fond of how Lune and Wendy could be with Masaki.

The silly DLC battle from 30 where Daba crossdresses and Gablae falls for "her" is resurfacing in my mind.😆 I think Leecee or Amm or somebody else comments towards the end of the skirmish that Daba's attractiveness transcends sexuality. Isn't that sorta a traditional Japanese literary notion; the historical root of the anime prettyboy?

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For J, I somehow forgot that there are three lady subpilots.😅

As for Masoukishin, is there more than just Masa + Shu and their two lovers apiece although Tud/tti is an odd complication? Akurasu has a rough translation of part of Revelation of Evil God (only Yang Long's path/ending), I did read through that, and I don't think I was fond of how Lune and Wendy could be with Masaki.

The silly DLC battle from 30 where Daba crossdresses and Gablae falls for "her" is resurfacing in my mind.😆 I think Leecee or Amm or somebody else comments towards the end of the skirmish that Daba's attractiveness transcends sexuality. Isn't that sorta a traditional Japanese literary notion; the historical root of the anime prettyboy?

I'm trying to recall. At least with Masaki I think there's moments where there's a third or even fourth candidate, but ultimately I think it's really just between Lune and Wendy the "competition". In quotation marks since, as I also recall, polygamy is legal in La Gias, so...

I guess? Can't really say much on that front. That said... lol yeah, that scenario was hilarious. Even beyond that part. XD

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know sometime in the past decade that 3D printers were considered speculated by some techies to become a standard household device. That obviously didn't happen.

Really, you might need to use a product that might not be old enough to drink or vote? I'm sure players back in the 80s didn't have those!

They're improved in the last decade that's for sure, but the guy I know is using resin rather than the thin line plastic I saw more often back then.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Brilliant WTF Management is the mark of a true Dungeon Master?

I mean, from what I'm hearing yes.

Our DM for the current campaign certainly threw the campaign into a whole other field last session, we've left the dimension we were in by the looks of it and I don't know much of anything yet.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeaaaaah, I'll stick to Etrian Odyssey for a taste of old school-ish dungie drawing.😝

Something I can use a wipeable marker on would do for moment-to moment stuff in fairness.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Software? Printers? I'm pretty sure increasing digitization has made the home printer an endangered species since the end of the '00s. Not helped by them not working half the time and ink being overpriced.

My concern there is the pricepoint and compatibility of what I'd be using, but that should be more manageable once I actually see what's out there.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

However, if you're inexperienced, and if the clients/customers control the situation and or you're really afraid of messing up, sounds more like Dungeon "Servant", to put it slightly nicely.

There's always the DM's Ult, "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies"

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not quite. Though my dominance began when I exchanged property cards with my brother and cousin so I could get the entire first row of properties and thus build hotels. It basically cascaded from there. I won mostly thanks to owning the cheapest hotels, go figure!

Ah yes, the "Gentrify the first row" tactic.

It's never the expensive properties that do anyone in, are they?

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wouldn't call it not being safe, but yes, it's there.

Hahaha, you should definitely see Masoukishin or J, then, Interdimensional. XD Still, even when they exist, they aren't put into focus too much. Definitely brought up every now and then, but they're never the focus. Still, I would say perhaps T is the only extreme version of this (as in, having multiple people interested in the same person), that I know of so far anyway, and even then it's still not the focus. Like, scenes like that one between the SS3 girls is probably only something brought up every 3-4 scenarios and only for a couple sentences. I suppose it helps all the license stuff helps to "drown" it, and even the OG storyline does. So it's something that's there, and that's mostly it.

I suppose that's true, any series with it already carrying it over into SRW makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Ah yes, the "Gentrify the first row" tactic.

It's never the expensive properties that do anyone in, are they?

Haha, no. My brother and cousin did managed to get full group properties too (thanks I that gave them the cards I had in exchange for the lower tiered ones), but never got to Hotels. My cousin had the orange ones and my brother the green ones. So yeah, myself dominating the entire row (and eventually the magenta properties too), I subjected them to "death by thousand paper cuts", since there were cases they'd be unlucky to land twice or even thrice on my hotels per run through the row. I suppose I also got lucky, since I didn't fell as often in their House-filled properties enough to offset it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My friend is yelling at me for things I did in the hack.

People in FEUniverse have also yelled at me for things I did in the hack.

Sweet, sweet blood.

What? Why?

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

HOW COULD YOU?!

Spoiler

Your escapades cost me a good Silver Lance that day

25 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The gameplay changes, I assume.

Actually?

No.

...Well, in FEUniverse's case. My friend's a bit worse at FE, so he's been having some troubles lol

13 minutes ago, ping said:

HOW COULD YOU?!

Hide contents

Your escapades cost me a good Silver Lance that day

Spoiler

That's been changed, actually. The items now go to the convoy. I intended to do that from the start, but the command didn't work for God knows what reason and then I just... sort of forgot about it and kept going. Fixed it recently after being peer pressured into it by people.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Alright, gonna play the alt version of Scenario 25. Not gonna narrate it, though.

It's even treated like I'm replaying a Special Scenario. As in, a set team specs and no EXP or monetary gains for the main campaign itself. So this is done just for the sake of completeness.

Yeah, it was a very short chapter. It ends after the "kill competition" of the OG mechs, and the story only changes to accommodate the fact Sagiri is only showing up now. Well, time to move onwards.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Me about club soccer: eh, pass

Me when big teams are losing to smaller teams: Yo go on my son!

I don't know what compels me to do this beyond underdog factors, but I swear that can't be just it.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My friend is yelling at me for things I did in the hack.

Sweet, sweet blood.

Me using an OT meme? Nice.