Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh Christ... They're having random-ass throwaways retreat now? That can't be right, he has to be retreating only to get killed by Zephia later. I refuse to believe everyone is Hubert now, Hubert was dumb enough.

You don’t have to be so hard on yourself Rubenio. Most people would retreat from battle rather then be killed.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Loliko said:

Teehee. Did I do it right ?

I'm fairly new here , was lurking around the engage forums and noticed this funny topic so I decided to hop in.

I believe I've seen you in the Engage threads, yes. Welcome! We talk about things. That's about it.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I believe I've seen you in the Engage threads, yes. Welcome! We talk about things. That's about it.

Thanks for the welcome , rainbow Garon ! And I am a great enjoyer of things , so I'm sure I'll have a good time here.

--

I'm currently playing through FE6 Normal mode (couldn't find a save with hard mode , and I have severe skill issues as well lol). Needless to say , my Wolt is killing it. (I'm at chapter 8x)

Capture d’écran 2023-01-07 030851.png

1 minute ago, Loliko said:

Thanks for the welcome , rainbow Garon ! And I am a great enjoyer of things , so I'm sure I'll have a good time here.

Hope you do, too!

I'm currently playing through FE6 Normal mode (couldn't find a save with hard mode , and I have severe skill issues as well lol). Needless to say , my Wolt is killing it. (I'm at chapter 8x)

Hah! I always enjoy seeing people using suboptimal units over the same top tier losers every time. May Wolt grow into a killing machine worthy of taking the life of the King of Bern himself!

4 minutes ago, Loliko said:

I'm fairly new here , was lurking around the engage forums and noticed this funny topic so I decided to hop in.

Welcome!

Is Wolt above average level in your party?

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hah! I always enjoy seeing people using suboptimal units over the same top tier losers every time. May Wolt grow into a killing machine worthy of taking the life of the King of Bern himself!

FE6 has a ton of underdogs units in general so that's why I wanted to try it. I'm relying a tiny bit on Rutger for the beginning but I'll probably kick him out for Fir , especially since I'm also using Noah for potential supports.

3 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Welcome!

Is Wolt above average level in your party?

Thanks a lot ! And yeah I gave him a bit of favoritism. Most of my combats units are around lvl 8/9 , with Lugh being lvl 11 as well.

21 minutes ago, Loliko said:

Welcome to our corner of the forums! ❤️

Also, your pfp looks like Geno from Mario RPG. XD

Edited by lightcosmo

4 minutes ago, Loliko said:

FE6 has a ton of underdogs units in general so that's why I wanted to try it. I'm relying a tiny bit on Rutger for the beginning but I'll probably kick him out for Fir , especially since I'm also using Noah for potential supports.

Yes, FE6 is a great game for the underdog lover. It has like, five or six top tier losers, and everyone else is up for grabs. Might I suggest Douglas? He has a top tier beard and he's really funny.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, FE6 is a great game for the underdog lover. It has like, five or six top tier losers

I fee like RD might have it beat, considering how many waste units the game has! XD

12 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Welcome to our corner of the forums! ❤️

Also, your pfp looks like Geno from Mario RPG. XD

Thank you for the welcome ! And yes , it is the puppet himself. I love SMRPG , and all the Mario RPGs for that matter. Except modern PM

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, FE6 is a great game for the underdog lover. It has like, five or six top tier losers, and everyone else is up for grabs. Might I suggest Douglas? He has a top tier beard and he's really funny.

Since I don't have a proper armor knight yet , i'll try to grab him along the way. I tried to trained Borss but I forgot that you kind of need to rescue drop him with Marcus or the christmas cavs so he's not 10 tiles away from everyone else in the early chapters.

Thank you for the welcome ! And yes , it is the puppet himself. I love SMRPG , and all the Mario RPGs for that matter. Except modern PM

👍

I wasn't certain if it was him, i'm sorry! Also, I can agree with this statement! 

25 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I fee like RD might have it beat, considering how many waste units the game has! XD

The Part system both helps and hurt inferior units in RD.

• Helps b/c character rotation means it's more likely that junk units will contribute something (by no means guaranteed though).
    • RD Example- Makalov will have a few fights where he is force-deployed, he can swing a sword and try hurting things.
    • Whereas with something more traditional like Binding, if you have a complete or near-complete team when Gwendolyn joins, she'll be benched right away, lucking out if she can poke an archer in her joining chapter.
  • Hurts b/c character rotation means you simply won't be able to deploy and grow them in every chapter.
    • RD Example- Fiona has severe availability issues despite joining in Part 1 due to the rotating.
    • To use the Gwendolyn example as a more traditional game again, once Gwen joins, you can start feeding her kills and watch the stats go up. And then you can feel accomplished as she massacres everything from sometime after C8 to the final battle, no interruptions at all.

52 minutes ago, Loliko said:

Welcome, you're free to stay if you like!😀

16 minutes ago, Loliko said:

And yes , it is the puppet himself. I love SMRPG , and all the Mario RPGs for that matter. Except modern PM

I remember having SMRPG back on my long-sold-off SNES. I think I only ever nailed the Geno Whirl insta-kill timing once? Never did the 100-consecutive Super Jumps challenge, though I did beat Culex and Jinx. Bonetail in TTYD and the boss gauntlets and Bros Attack challenges of the later M&L games were never as much as attempted in my case.

So yeah, I've played and enjoyed pretty much every Mario RPG prior to Color Splash, barring the M&L 1&3 remakes.😄 Also played the blatant not-Nintendo imitator Bug Fables, which even putting the fact it's an unapologetic attempt to be a modern classic PM aside, I considered to be fairly solid and possessing enough originality to stand on its own two legs.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 1/7/2023 at 2:01 PM, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I am here for this new era of Engage shitpost content.

(And hey, a theme I actually have nostalgia for)

Edited by Punished Dayni

On 1/3/2023 at 6:11 PM, Armagon said:

Which can be very hype when pulled off.

Or you can look silly when they use a bog standard team instead, which you aren't as prepared to battle against because you decided to try to counter a very specific strategy you aren't even assured to run into. That's the obvious flaw with highly specific counterplay; it falls victim to crippling overspecialization, being dead on arrival if you do not run into what it was designated to counter. Baton Pass has repeatedly been banned despite still being beatable. Why? Because it's uncompetitive, as it requires specific counters that are pretty much useless vs everything that's not Baton Pass teams (though I would also note that Baton Pass first got attention in generation 6, and the controversy it stirred retroactively affected prior metagames to the point where it was either banned or restricted in those as well). I would also mention Assist. It was banned because of uncompetitive strategies enabled by - you guessed it - Prankster (Purrloin and Liepard are the only mons with both). For context, Assist allows the user to randomly use moves known by other Pokemon, but there are some exceptions that it cannot use. These exceptions are the key to the strategies that got it banned in the BW metagame. Basically, by having all other mons with moves that cannot be called by Assist alongside certain moves, it was possible to either put the opponent in switch out hell with the use of Roar and Whirlwind, racking up hazard damage in the meantime (I would also note that the reason why such moves have negative priority is to prevent what I'm describing from happening), or prevent the opponent from hitting at all by holding a Lagging Tail or Full Incense, then having Assist call the likes of Fly and Dive (a strategy known as Dive Cats; because of Prankster, Assist allows them to go first with the semi-invulnerable move, while their opponent whiffs their attack. On the next turn, the actual attack goes last, causing the opponent to whiff their attack again). Game Freak caught on to this, because come X and Y, those moves were no longer able to be called via Assist. However, Assist was still a landmine for balancing, and this wasn't the last time it caused trouble in competitive play. . .

On 1/3/2023 at 6:11 PM, Armagon said:

When competitive Pokemon is just using the same "approved" teams with the same "approved" strats over and over, it's less actual skill and more that the battle is essentially won before it begins to an extent. This applies even to Swagplay but enough usage would mean someone cracks the code eventually.

And by "cracking the code" you mean "using stuff that is useful only against it and useless against everything else"? That's the kind of crap that gets tongues wagging - and banhammers swinging. Going back to YGO, there's a reason why the likes of Jar Robber and Anti Raigeki don't see use (also of note, cards like those also suffered from the cards they were designated to counter being banned at some point, making them bricks in those timeframes; Jar Robber in particular is still a brick, and will stay such until the end of time because the card it's meant to counter - Pot of Greed - is still banned, and will likely stay that way until the end of time). This being said, Magic Bounce does shut Swagplay down... except for the part where only three mons have it, two of those are Dark weak, and thus are easy prey for Foul Play, and the last needs to Mega Evolve first AND gets reamed hard by Foul Play despite resisting it. Oh, and the last move on those sets that used Swagplay is Substitute, making the users even harder to dispose of. All this being said, just because something can be countered doesn't mean it isn't banworthy. You know something is VERY wrong when people suggest fucking Numel (which, by the way, is the ONE pokemon immune to both confusion and Thunder Wave) as a counter to Swagger strats. . .

TL;DR Swagger was banned because it took the skill out of the game and made it entirely about luck. Also, because most of the supposed counters didn't work very well in practice. It being extremely toxic and pissing people off didn't help.

1 hour ago, Loliko said:

Good luck tolerating it. You. Will. Need It.

56 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Welcome to the bestest thread on the net!

Thanks for the welcome shrimpy !

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Welcome, you're free to stay if you like!😀

I remember having SMRPG back on my long-sold-off SNES. I think I only ever nailed the Geno Whirl insta-kill timing once? Never did the 100-consecutive Super Jumps challenge, though I did beat Culex and Jinx. Bonetail in TTYD and the boss gauntlets and Bros Attack challenges of the later M&L games were never as much as attempted in my case.

So yeah, I've played and enjoyed pretty much every Mario RPG prior to Color Splash, barring the M&L 1&3 remakes.😄 Also played the blatant not-Nintendo imitator Bug Fables, which even putting the fact it's an unapologetic attempt to be a modern classic PM aside, I considered to be fairly solid and possessing enough originality to stand on its own two legs.

Geno whirl is mostly a gimmick to kill exor and not much else sadly. Geno usually has so much attack that even his basic attack will kill most mooks , especially with Geno boost. I think I did a very long green shell rally in BiS as well as some other respectable ones , but I need to check if my save file from 10+ years ago is still intact if you want proof lol.

I absolutely adored Bug Fables. It doesn't hide at all that it takes the core gameplay of PM64/TTYD and I'm fine with it since it's a very good gameplay fundation. I also really appreciate that while the world building and story are a bit more serious than PM , it's not so serious that it becomes silly : there's a good balance of humor , adventure and genuinely heartfelt moments.

21 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Good luck tolerating it. You. Will. Need It.

Don't worry , babying units is something I love doing.

Wolt meme.png

2 hours ago, Loliko said:

and I have severe skill issues as well lol

People be like "Skill Issue" when you tell them you don't vibe with the game.
Yeah it sure it is a skill issue alright, because no one can hit for shit in this game

Welcome, btw

1 minute ago, Green06 said:
People be like "Skill Issue" when you tell them you don't vibe with the game.
Yeah it sure it is a skill issue alright, because no one can hit for shit in this game

Welcome, btw

I don't see the problem , it only took me 12 turns for Lot to land that 35% hit/32% crit kill on Legance. It just gives more time to build supports :]

And thank you !