• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Tfw a missed 71 almost led to a character death on enemy phase but said character then dodged an 87.

29 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Sooks, how could you betray Timerra like this? Unless you just didn't recruit her yet.

Yeah, didn’t get her yet, and it only lets you put down characters you have.

Amongst the player characters, anyway. All the names bosses thus far were also options, which I suppose makes the Rubens of the world happy.

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

Is it bad that I only know Fallout out of all of these, and I only know that from Country Roads

Yes, because it means that you haven't been reading my LP

Boo is very disappointed with you.

--

Can't comment on what I actually think about how Engage eventually turned out because I don't know how Engage eventually turned out, but honestly... I'd take a story and writing that's funny and wacky by design over a Tommy Wiseau-style videogame, really.

Another paralogue, another gremlin I wish I could trade in for the NPC adult in an equivalent class that appeared in the same paralogue.

#JusticeForSeanAndMitan

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah, didn’t get her yet, and it only lets you put down characters you have.

Amongst the player characters, anyway. All the names bosses thus far were also options, which I suppose makes the Rubens of the world happy.

Mitan card now

In other news, the Alfred gang's steadily growing on me. Including Alfred. I wasn't expecting that, but the guy's simultaneously a dorky, flamboyant idiot with a pipsqueak voice and a hyper-fixated bodybuilder. And then he looks like a dandy prick to surpass Fauxnel. What a guy. Might worm his way to my long-term team.

...seriously, in his C support with Etie

Spoiler

It is revealed they train with weighted tea cups. How the fuck does that even work, you magnificent morons?

Ah, I knew this would happen.

Spoiler

I like King Morion. He's great. He just fucking yeeted Roy at Diamant lol

This is not a good thing, because the monarchs are the biggest casualties of Engage's utter terror of taking any risks in its storytelling. No chance of these guys surviving, nope. Instead I'll get his utter bore sons. Bleh.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, I knew this would happen.

Hide contents

I like King Morion. He's great. He just fucking yeeted Roy at Diamant lol

This is not a good thing, because the monarchs are the biggest casualties of Engage's utter terror of taking any risks in its storytelling. No chance of these guys surviving, nope. Instead I'll get his utter bore sons. Bleh.

Spoiler

King Morion? More like Rey Murion, jajaja.

vSKmn0eO_o.jpg

He just got this.

He's still worse than Amber in every way.

...yeah I think I'm keeping this loser around.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:
  Hide contents

King Morion? More like Rey Murion, jajaja.

Spoiler

Ojala fueran sus hijos "Diemant" y "Alcrisis", son los dos tan pedorros.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Gotta say tho

Boss design in this game? PEAK

Like this map looked easy, but wew are the bosses giving me lotsa trouble here

It reminds me a bit of the jp srpg studio games i play so much tbh

Yeah, the extra HP seems like a massive annoyance, but it served to counter the bosses' breakability well.

Then again, if maddening really does put unbreakability on all of them... Sheesh they're going to be toughies

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, the extra HP seems like a massive annoyance,

It's just the HP, but the abilities and stuff they carry as well.

Although the HP thing is big yeah

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Every map is taking me forever. This isn’t exactly a bad thing, but it does make sessions feel draining, heh. Am I the only one?

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, the extra HP seems like a massive annoyance, but it served to counter the bosses' breakability well.

Then again, if maddening really does put unbreakability on all of them... Sheesh they're going to be toughies

Oh you guys have been able to break bosses.

Edited by Sooks

*Sees the JRPG gameplay vs. story argument above*

Bad gameplay is more of a slog (which is a very bad thing) than bad story. This is especially true if the lacking gameplay has no cheesy easy mode, or if I'm not emulating and hence have no access to inputting cheats if it's that bad.

Since DQ and FF came up earlier in said discussion, I'm feeling like, with my heavily-FF phase well in the past, that I greatly prefer DQ. DQ is more outright antiquated than FF, but, FF is more dated. It's a weird conundrum, yet by: keeping things simple good & evil, always with room for silliness, always with the same cartoony visuals, and not trying to revolutionize combat every XYZ entry, DQ has fared better with time. Always trying to be "cutting edge" has actually dulled FF in retrospect.

DQVII is still hell when it comes to the wait for unlocking the rudimentary thing called classes, but... once I'm past that point, the game might be more fun than FFs VI-XII. (ATB got worse when it went 3D, I like it fine in IV-VI and CT, but 3D graphics made it more janky and slow, at least for the PS1-era.) FFVI is still okay by me, and IX is very charming, but I've seen their stories once now, and the gameplay isn't worth returning to. FFVIII is a worse Persona 2 anyhow. Junction Dysfunction vs Random Encounter Rate of Madness makes the gameplay almost equally flawed, P2 has better yet in ways surprisingly similar story & characters, visuals and music go to FFVIII, but that isn't enough to make it the better game overall.

---

Played only a little more Xenosaga so far today. All I did was play until it got to the end of current chapter and it asked if I wanted to save (I did run around a bit in the city talking to every NPC therein, had to reload twice b/c I picked the wrong response the big pharma guy the Pleiades are seven stars (well, star clusters), not moons how'd XS get that wrong?).

I don't entirely get why Xenosaga makes it difficult for me to play nonstop like some other JRPGs, but I can hypothesize why. It might be because I'm holding my breath the entire time.😐 During this initial visit into the neuroscience institute, I was continually wondering: when Shion's cover would be blown, by who, if the dung was gonna hit the fan during the visit for I know the tragic events about to unfold. And if a Testament was going to teleport in and cryptically explain -having now achieved one of their magnificent evil goals- why they seemingly wanted to send the heroes back into the past. Anticipation of Big Drama, trying to stay alert and attentive to every word coming out of everyone's mouth, hoping I don't tap to the next box of dialogue too soon, it gets a little draining, perhaps?🤔

I also think I don't want to stop midway into unfolding events, including but not limited to, completing a dungeon in a single sitting whenever I get to one. This being as the case as much for narrative flow as it is for gameplay. Getting into combat also keeps me going longer with XS, since I find it fun overall, and it's a good chance to "exhale" because I know there ought not be Epic Plot until the boss fight at the end.

As I struggle to play enough Xenosaga for all my video gaming desires in a given day (using my Ep. I and prior Ep. III experiences in addition to my current mood), I think I need to add in a second game. Though I am afraid of juggling games and risk falling off the boat with XS again, and "wasting" that time on something I've already played to completion/a lot. Using XS Ep. III to contain XC3 in a pocket dimension (within another pocket dimension of waiting for the DLC to fully release) ought to push me forward, I'm sure I won't break discipline from that.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:42 AM, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

So, who are the fav. character/s of y'all so far/fav. impressions?

Oh yeah, Yunaka, with Celine in second place. I feel like most times I would find Yunaka’s whole “weird words” thing annoying, but her VA just makes it charming, for the most part. And she’s mysterious.

Celine is just kinda cool. So is her brother. I can’t decide if I like Louis and Chloe (as characters) yet, but they’re up there.

14 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

now at 10

What the hell