• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Tfw you devise the perfect strategy and forget to check hit rates. After you’ve already moved.

Idk about hard, but on maddening, chapter 7’s boss squad is brutal. And I love it.

Ch.7 is probably the easiest chapter for me so far

Btw, tell me your experience on ch.10/11 when you get there

Especially 11 was super tight

6 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Benice, Engage is a JRPG,

Its an SRPG. Just because its anime as shit, has leveling doesnt make it the same stuff as FF

Thats like lumping together FF tactics with FF10 just because it has FF in title

Edited by joevar

Good chapter, good chapter.

13 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ch.7 is probably the easiest chapter for me so far

Boss’s 17/18 speed (depending on weapon) could wreck half my units 😭

Fun to deal with though, I ended up using the obstruct staff once.

Edited by Sooks

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Fun to deal with though, I ended up using the obstruct staff once.

Save some for ch11 xD

Boss’s 17/18 speed (depending on weapon) could wreck half my units 😭

Oh yeah she fast

But only really dangerous against effective units on hard with her rapier

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Every map is taking me forever. This isn’t exactly a bad thing, but it does make sessions feel draining, heh. Am I the only one?

Im actually glad. That way i will play and enjoy this game longer.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No seriously, why is King Morion cool, c'mon.

Coolest FE dad, change my mind

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...seriously, in his C support with Etie

Hide contents

It is revealed they train with weighted tea cups. How the fuck does that even work, you magnificent morons?

Heh, the muscle brain royal with his retainer thats equally obsessed with muscle.

Too bad etie fall off alcryst in survivability. My Alfred still fine tho, heck he is even better amber in terms of survivability

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Save some for ch11 xD

Still have 9/10, but now you’re scaring me

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh yeah she fast

But only really dangerous against effective units on hard with her rapier

Her Elfire tome gave her… 17 magic attack, I believe, and Celine was the only unit with res I brought. Everyone else was terrified of that thing.

Her Elfire tome gave her… 17 magic attack, I believe, and Celine was the only unit with res I brought. Everyone else was terrified of that thing.

The thing with Elfire she can't use all for one with it, unlike rapier

x8maYlT.jpg
It begins…

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The thing with Elfire she can't use all for one with it, unlike rapier

She moved with a squad of four other enemies, so even though half my units could barely survive an Elfire, I had to take care of all four of them while only leaving people with barely any damage in her range, and since they were all close together, I had to physically use units as meat shields. Which is a strategy I’ve used for several bosses because unbreakability and two health bars is a bitch.

Edited by Sooks

Ah, I knew this would happen.

Reveal hidden contents

I like King Morion. He's great. He just fucking yeeted Roy at Diamant lol

This is not a good thing, because the monarchs are the biggest casualties of Engage's utter terror of taking any risks in its storytelling. No chance of these guys surviving, nope. Instead I'll get his utter bore sons. Bleh.

End of Ch.8 

Spoiler

"come on my boy. Do you really think I need protection? You really think I'm going to die out there?"

I will say, they are so blatant about it that it feels like the writers themselves are like "yes yes they die, here it comes".

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Every map is taking me forever. This isn’t exactly a bad thing, but it does make sessions feel draining, heh. Am I the only one?

They used to take a bit and then I switched unit selection to the traditional "drag arrow to where you want". Combined with fast movement, game sped up.

Yeah, the extra HP seems like a massive annoyance, but it served to counter the bosses' breakability well

It works a lot better here than in Three Houses, that goes without saying.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I need to add in a second game.

Perhaps you could emulate the Atelier Iris trilogy. Now I know, that's another JRPG and Iris isn't representative of the series as a whole but Atelier games as a whole are just chill so if you ever need a break from the brainworms Xenosaga gives you, you could always synthesize some stuff.

49 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Especially 11 was super tight

*Puss in Boots Death whistle*

Gonna see if I can get there tonight.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's Engaging time.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-27-33-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-34-01-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-34-18-PM.png

63386.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-28-46-PM.png

Shoulda made this joke a while ago (even if I'm the only one who really gets it), but I missed the chance and I wasn't going to pass up this one.😄

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Its an SRPG. Just because its anime as shit, has leveling doesnt make it the same stuff as FF

Thats like lumping together FF tactics with FF10 just because it has FF in title

Agreed. FE, barring TMS, isn't a JRPG. Narratively... JRPG-adjacent, not exactly the same, certainly a lot of the same tropes and whatnot. But I think the giant army has long made Fire Emblem unable to have a "normal" JRPG plot, the gameplay forces the narrative to deviate? Maybe? -I'm not actually 100% sure myself.😅

In gameplay the franchise has decidedly been on the S side of SRPG, the strategy aspects- unit types and map design to name two things, have usually been stronger than the RPG elements. Recent games do go heavier on the RPG side of things, namely as character gameplay customization, yet it can't change the S roots of FE. Final Fantasy Tactics since you named it, is by contrast an SRPG that took an eraser to the "J" and turned it to an "S", it's fundamentally a JRPG adapted to a grid.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Perhaps you could emulate the Atelier Iris trilogy. Now I know, that's another JRPG and Iris isn't representative of the series as a whole but Atelier games as a whole are just chill so if you ever need a break from the brainworms Xenosaga gives you, you could always synthesize some stuff.

I could do that.🤔

But... you ought to know well by now I really overthink things.😆 Massive natural indecisiveness + The Paradox Of Choice (too many options lead to choice paralysis; I have no shortage of games to choose from) = one baaaaad combination.😝

Though yeah, sampling the workshop of the goddess of the rainbow isn't something I had considered. Might be a good pick.

As for Xenosaga, right now I want to screw with history and steal those Anima Vessels ASAP, I feel like having some E.S. combat again would excite me. Although I could be overestimating how the first E.S. dungeon had made me feel, and it's more a general mecha-liking energy flowing through me at ATM (possibly b/c I plowed through the first 20 minutes of my daily exercise routine with no-sweat triumphal optimistic exuberance listening to some SRWOGs again) that explains this.😅

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’m more so surprised it ended up in a Puss in Boots movie. It’s kind of unsettling, memes aside.

Death (the character in Puss in Boots) convinced me that horror elements in a non-horror thing are more effective than straight-up horror.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for Xenosaga, right now I want to screw with history and steal those Anima Vessels ASAP, I feel like having some E.S. combat again would excite me

Honestly the earlier portion of the time travel part is kinda boring. But like I get it but it does pick up again towards the later portion of the time travel.

And yes, E.S combat in this game is very exciting. I don't think you'll see it until after you return to the present tho. I think. I could be wrong. I feel like I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Screen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-27-33-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-34-01-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-34-18-PM.png

63386.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-01-21-at-8-28-46-PM.png

Shoulda made this joke a while ago (even if I'm the only one who really gets it), but I missed the chance and I wasn't going to pass up this one.😄

i recognize that artstyle and gameplay. is that one franchise that at least has 3 installment? arc-something? hmm if i recall thats from the same studio that make stella glow right?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Agreed. FE, barring TMS, isn't a JRPG. Narratively... JRPG-adjacent, not exactly the same, certainly a lot of the same tropes and whatnot. But I think the giant army has long made Fire Emblem unable to have a "normal" JRPG plot, the gameplay forces the narrative to deviate? Maybe? -I'm not actually 100% sure myself.😅

In gameplay the franchise has decidedly been on the S side of SRPG, the strategy aspects- unit types and map design to name two things, have usually been stronger than the RPG elements. Recent games do go heavier on the RPG side of things, namely as character gameplay customization, yet it can't change the S roots of FE. Final Fantasy Tactics since you named it, is by contrast an SRPG that took an eraser to the "J" and turned it to an "S", it's fundamentally a JRPG adapted to a grid.

i know you and acacia at least would agree haha.

SRPG is more of gameplay than story. after all anyone who play SRW will know, that series story full of nonsense to the point of "shit happen, but dont ask how, it just happen, period." 😅

but doesnt stop it from being dumb fun.

about FFT, not implying it has bad story ofc. just that it plays exactly like a fire emblem but also doesnt spark as much story discussion as its mainline FF, afaik... maybe

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Reclassing to unrelated classes feels like a hassle tbh.

i see. i think i will refrain from doing that too since that stuff usually for subsequent playthru where you start experimenting. but framme already benched for me 😂

2 of my healer are mages already. since staffbot keep dying it become a hassle/waste of unit space. due to bad lvl up

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

It begins…

nice. do you reclass/promote him, or is that a map you grind for jean specifically

Bonds of fire, connect us~

Love provides, protect us~

sure the opening lyric version may be corny, but its remix of main theme version that plays as battle map song in ch. 10 slaps hard tho. it ramps up the hype

this is one thing that im sure (hoped?) no FE fans would be divided

29 minutes ago, joevar said:

i know you and acacia at least would agree haha.

SRPG is more of gameplay than story. after all anyone who play SRW will know, that series story full of nonsense to the point of "shit happen, but dont ask how, it just happen, period." 😅

but doesnt stop it from being dumb fun.

about FFT, not implying it has bad story ofc. just that it plays exactly like a fire emblem but also doesnt spark as much story discussion as its mainline FF, afaik... maybe

... nonsense...?

Still, something of a bad example since SRW is very story-focused. It's part of its appeal.