Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

CSIV requires you to take Alisa or Jusis to the next location, but I can't take the easy way out by bringing both of them. I feel like Sooks probably brought Jusis, which makes me want to bring Alisa instead...

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

gonna be honest, I don’t remember him joining in the previous game. Like he looks vaguely familiar, but…

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He's not that memorable, don't worry.

"Ymir not very interesting, so Sooks forget he exists." -Tora, Xenoblade Chronicles 2

1 hour ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I thought you were an octogenarian like me.

I was also surprised to find that Rubenio is younger than I am. Must be all that talk about Kaga.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Each what is three maps? The fees?

The game is divided into chapters, which (usually) contain three maps each. The duration of merc fees is one chapter. Hiring after the main mission of the chapter (usually the most complex of them) cuts the fee by half.

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah but characters are fundamental to the gameplay and hopefully one or two of them is interesting, so I’d like to see as much as I can from them.

Berwick Saga does characters better than FE.

Ok I know, contentious way to phrase that, but seriously, I firmly believe the way Berwick handles its secondaries' arcs is better than the support system. @Benice agrees with me, but he's absent. It is also not that difficult to get, as long as you use characters often enough, they'll get the points of happiness they need to be able to go through their arcs, sidequests and recruitments. In fact, you've more wiggle room than the average FE, since stats aren't as important, so you can rotate team members more than in FE.

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Furniture… is okay to pass on, although it will hurt a bit if the game lets you go full decorator mode.

Nah, you just get ridiculously minuscule boosts. I mean stuff like, 3% extra hit on Reese (the main sociopath of the game) for 25k and shit like that. They add to the ranks, though, because Kaga is an evil man.

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

I was also surprised to find that Rubenio is younger than I am. Must be all that talk about Kaga.

Feel old yet, geezer?

So I was going to bed nice and relaxed, after spending some time coloring. Then a mosquito turned out to exist in my room. Knowing it'd be a problem, my peanut brain had the brilliant idea to try and drive it away from the room with the thing I was holding, which was my phone.

So the predictable thing happened, I bashed my phone against the wall and then dropped it (no damage because the protective cover is something else), now I'm all distressed and unrelaxed and the mosquito is still at large.

Fuck me sideways.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

47 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

CSIV requires you to take Alisa or Jusis to the next location, but I can't take the easy way out by bringing both of them. I feel like Sooks probably brought Jusis, which makes me want to bring Alisa instead...

HTzQv8f.jpg
I was hoping there’d be some Alisa missing Rean moments.

I haven’t looked at what Jusis says if you take him, but just going off the context of the place you’re going, it’s probably more interesting. You should take him. And Machias as the other character

Although this reminds me that when I first got to this part, I went “two of the remaining characters? Alisa and Jusis, no contest” and then the game did this to me. The other one who I brought was Emma, if you were wondering.

47 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

"Ymir not very interesting, so Sooks forget he exists." -Tora, Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I think the actual quote was “Tomas not very interesting, so Math forget he exists.” -Shulk, Xenoblade Chronicles 2

43 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The game is divided into chapters, which (usually) contain three maps each. The duration of merc fees is one chapter. Hiring after the main mission of the chapter (usually the most complex of them) cuts the fee by half.

This is cool stuff.

Ok I know, contentious way to phrase that, but seriously

Don’t tell the Fire Emblem fans I said this

Spoiler

The casts throughout the entire franchise (of the games with supports) are incredibly hit or miss, with 90% of them being misses and the remaining ones being insanely good out of the blue, with supports being an alright system that is usually implemented in a boring way. Three Houses is the exception, and I guess PoR but lol lmao PoR haha

Nah, you just get ridiculously minuscule boosts. I mean stuff like, 3% extra hit on Reese (the main sociopath of the game) for 25k and shit like that. They add to the ranks, though, because Kaga is an evil man.

I mean if ranks is like, fe7 ranks, who cares?

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This is cool stuff.

Berwick's full of cool stuff. It can be a little overwhelming at first if you go in expecting Fire Emblem on the PS2, but everything clicks eventually and it's wonderful.

Don’t tell the Fire Emblem fans I said this

Oh dear. Now there's a flamin'(?) take.

I mean if ranks is like, fe7 ranks, who cares?

Pretty much. You do get to make Reese's room pretty for like 200k, though. Not that he does a good job of it. Each piece of furniture has a few set spots, and for some reason the most expensive one, a tapestry, ends up partly hidden behind the good bed. It's bad enough that he wastes hundreds of thousands of the army's war funds on his room, he can't even be bothered to do it right!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Pretty much. You do get to make Reese's room pretty for like 300k, though. Not that he does a good job of it. Each piece of furniture has a few set spots, and for some reason the most expensive one, a tapestry, ends up partly hidden behind the good bed. It's bad enough that he wastes hundreds of thousands of the army's war funds on his room, he can't even be bothered to do it right!

He needs to take some tips from Juste Belmont, methinks.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Berwick's full of cool stuff. It can be a little overwhelming at first if you go in expecting Fire Emblem on the PS2, but everything clicks eventually and it's wonderful.

Now that I’ve heard whenever the game comes up here.

Oh dear. Now there's a flamin'(?) take.

I’m probably being overly aggressive lol it’s just that I don’t doing characters better than FE hard at all to accept

I mean the GBA games might have good casts if I felt like interacting with that support system, but…

Pretty much. You do get to make Reese's room pretty for like 200k, though. Not that he does a good job of it. Each piece of furniture has a few set spots, and for some reason the most expensive one, a tapestry, ends up partly hidden behind the good bed. It's bad enough that he wastes hundreds of thousands of the army's war funds on his room, he can't even be bothered to do it right!

At least war crimes Marth is only loosely supported by fe11’s mechanics, apparently war fund embezzlement Reese is the mechanics.

Lmao Ymir’s hat, it halfway covers one of your eyes Kris.

Oh Michalis literally has 2 luck, they were definitely memeing here.

Edited by Sooks

10 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's a reason aid has stopped at sending Ukraine things, and nobody has dared to really turn up the heat against Russia. They have nukes.

So do we and Russia knows damn well that if they nuke, they're getting nuked back.

10 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

You’re a Zelda fan so you might appreciate this. 

I was hung up on Adventure of Link for the longest time. Beat the Maze Island palace and couldn’t figure out what to do next. I skipped out on a fire drill one day in school so I could sneak a peek at somebody’s Nintendo Power magazine and take some notes.

I got to the second dungeon in AoL and realized it was gonna be too much of a tedious grind haha. I do consider it the worst Zelda, even if i enjoyed A Link to the Past less.

But in the days past, that's just how games were, weren't they? The concept of "tedious grinding" didn't exist yet.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It is overall odd, however. Feint or not, Prigozhin basically showed Putin was weak, as he could march too close to Moscow, downed a few helicopters, and apparently it was Lukashenko who negotiated with him, not Putin, who may or may have not fled to St. Petersburg. Even if he can still oust Shoigu from head of MoD, he may have to start to watch his back...

Appearently the Russian people are actually cheering on Wagner as they leave.

5 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Oh, you didnt play the OG version?

If by OG you mean on Famicom hardware, no i didn't.

HZWxsTj.png

“We have Radiant Dawn part 4 at home”

Incidentally, thank god for the thief staff. I could spend a million turns fighting this onslaught while debating if it’s worth it for yet another wyrmslayer and dragonpike, or I could just grab em with the staff I have all used of and end the map right thefe. Hoarding pays off once again!

Nagi is… intriguing, but I have a suspicion she’s never getting elaborated on.

This map was close to being good, but the room at the end is shit. We don’t need any more siege magic game, and there are mages with like 40 attack when everyone has 2 res? Well fuck you too. Other than that it feels like an escape map, although it’s absolutely possible to choke point these enemies if you get to the room.

Edited by Sooks

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I got to the second dungeon in AoL and realized it was gonna be too much of a tedious grind haha. I do consider it the worst Zelda, even if i enjoyed A Link to the Past less.

But in the days past, that's just how games were, weren't they? The concept of "tedious grinding" didn't exist yet.

It did once Dragon Warrior or Dragon QUEST depending on what part of the world you’re in, and Final Fantasy appeared

Now that I think about about it, years ago there was an old dungeon crawler called Dungeons of Daggorath. It dont do much, but what it does do it does well. The storyline in the manual says “never retreat UP a level or the wizard (the one you’re there to kill) will send his strongest monsters after you.

And therein lies the trick. You gotta go hunt them stronger monsters down to get powerful enough to handle the last 2 levels

As old as that game is, 1982 I think, I only finished it relatively recently. Me and a buddy of mine had all kinds of trouble with that, experimenting with different tricks and whatnot trying to progress 

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So I was going to bed nice and relaxed, after spending some time coloring. Then a mosquito turned out to exist in my room. Knowing it'd be a problem, my peanut brain had the brilliant idea to try and drive it away from the room with the thing I was holding, which was my phone.

So the predictable thing happened, I bashed my phone against the wall and then dropped it (no damage because the protective cover is something else), now I'm all distressed and unrelaxed and the mosquito is still at large.

Fuck me sideways.

Dammit boy 😁

Try a fly swatter next time Lmao

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The most she got was in Shadow Dragon, actually.

Uhhhh…

Oh that’s right, the content restoration patch left her stuff alone. Maybe I’ll look into her, but probably not.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Uhhhh…

Oh that’s right, the content restoration patch left her stuff alone. Maybe I’ll look into her, but probably not.

Well, in case you're curious...

Spoiler

It's heavily implied that Nagi is a resurrected Naga. Outright stated in the Japanese version with her ending title.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, in case you're curious...

Hide contents

It's heavily implied that Nagi is a resurrected Naga. Outright stated in the Japanese version with her ending title.

Oh, cool, thank you.

Spoiler

Is it ever mentioned how she’s been resurrected? I mean theoretically the Aum Staff exists, but idk the details of her appearance in Shadow Dragon.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh, cool, thank you.

Hide contents

Is it ever mentioned how she’s been resurrected? I mean theoretically the Aum Staff exists, but idk the details of her appearance in Shadow Dragon.

Spoiler

No. It seems she just did. Kinda like Medeus' first resurrection. He also came back somehow, but we don't know how.

Maybe it's a thing for sufficient powerful dragons/manaketes. Or maybe Naga's "death" wasn't that and she simply went into a thousand-year coma...

... wait a second...

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Weakling, he should've found himself a G A M E R   G R I L L so he didn't have to sacrifice either

Okay I aint gonna lie. I had to google that term to see what the hell it meant, and now that I know it woulda been nice to run into one of those myself

I tried introducing the wife to it with a couple easy to learn ones like FE7 and Might and Magic Clash of Heroes. It didnt take unfortunately...

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sounds like one hell of an adventure of its own to get those adventures lol. My story was a lot simpler, my parents didn't want to buy me consoles so my mom just set me up with fangames, emulators and ROMs. In fact, Mario fangames are some of my earliest gaming memories.

Well, those were the days as they say, and I got no regrets. That day shovelin snow was time well spent IMHO and it paid back big

Now if you wanna talk arcades, thats a whole other bunch of war stories Lol 😎

5 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Well, those were the days as they say, and I got no regrets. That day shovelin snow was time well spent IMHO and it paid back big.

Well the children are just coddled these days, that’s all.

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Now that I’ve heard whenever the game comes up here.

I do have some repetitive lines.

I’m probably being overly aggressive lol it’s just that I don’t doing characters better than FE hard at all to accept

I mean the GBA games might have good casts if I felt like interacting with that support system, but…

Well, what Berwick Saga does is just... make stuff happen. Craptastic way to put it, I know, but really, that's all there is. Character events just happen throughout the game. Instead of a rigid system of three-parter conversations between two characters, you may reach a chapter and some event will happen involving a character, or a quest will come up for the next mission that only they have to do, or you'll unlock a map where they get the spotlight, things like that. This also allows more freedom to pair characters together. Sometimes multiple characters have intertwined arcs - the biggest example being four whole characters loosely connected to each other. Conversely, a few don't even interact with other playables and instead have arcs with NPCs. Sometimes it's both!

It's not perfect, a couple of characters come to mind that could've used a bit more screentime, but it's still a much more organic, flexible system that allows for far more interesting things to be done with the characters. Then add to that that Berwick Saga's cutscenes mop the floor with, again, all of Fire Emblem.

rhfow9Nz_o.png

Look, it's not just two faces on top of a JPEG! There's actually... people there, doing things. They move and stuff. You don't even need to get to the words to know what's going on here. Incredible, isn't it? And that's just one example, every single scene in the game is like this. They spared no effort there.

At least war crimes Marth is only loosely supported by fe11’s mechanics, apparently war fund embezzlement Reese is the mechanics.

Reese being a sociopath is, admittedly, just a joke of mine, but he is still my least favorite of the game's main characters. He has his moments, but he's still like, your archetypical serious hero boy, but with the stick up his ass cranked up to eleven. So you get this funny role reversal moment where, instead of the young idealistic hero talking his rigid pragmatist advisor into getting into unnecessary trouble for the sake of the downtrodden, it's the other way around.

Speaking of, personally, I prefer Ward. And no, it's not just because he has a beard or because it's an Endgame Ready Beard, he's genuinely a more likeable and enjoyable protagonist than Reese. Helps that he has a lot more agency than your average advisor type, often being on his own doing his own thing instead of just being there to talk to the lord - there's this interesting little duality where Reese is the one who usually interacts with the higher-ups, the military and the nobility, whereas Ward (alongside Tianna, Reese's secretary that is also cooler than him) is the one who often mingles with the common folk and gets Sinon's army roped up in extraofficial missions.

Anyway, yeah. Reese bad. But Berwick's still awesome. And Reese does get the coolest sword ever, so all is forgiven.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

So do we and Russia knows damn well that if they nuke, they're getting nuked back.

It's the classic stalemate. Russia can't step too far over the line or they get nuked, but you guys can't just go gung-ho on them either because then you get nuked. And the second either gets nuked, humanity dies, because a nuke will be followed by another nuke, this will lead to that and suddenly the planet is uninhabitable. So the end result is that the world's playing this sort of crooked "loves me loves me not" game, only with nuclear armaggedon instead of love and using Ukraine as the flower.

7 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Dammit boy 😁

Try a fly swatter next time Lmao

Oi, don't you "boy" me! Old people these days, they don't know respect. Why, back in my day...

Anyway, yeah, I should've, but I just sort of started seeing red when I heard the buzzing.

6 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Okay I aint gonna lie. I had to google that term to see what the hell it meant, and now that I know it woulda been nice to run into one of those myself

I tried introducing the wife to it with a couple easy to learn ones like FE7 and Might and Magic Clash of Heroes. It didnt take unfortunately...

That's too bad. Maybe if you tried to introduce her to Berwick Saga instead--

6 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Now if you wanna talk arcades, thats a whole other bunch of war stories Lol 😎

Arcades always fascinated me. I've only had a chance to play on actual arcade machines a couple times. For the rest, I had this old-ass CD-ROM with MAME and a whole assortment of ROMs my mom got for me. As with everything else, I played a lot of arcade games in my childhood, but I didn't play any arcades.

1 hour ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Well the children are just coddled these days, that’s all.

Wraith, listen to me. I would trust you with my life. I know you would step up to the challenge.

pHuVfAo.png

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Berwick Saga does characters better than FE.

That's not hard

Although i agree in concept, i think the execution could've been better.

Still much better then the support system, but you already know i have a stick to pick with that.

13 hours ago, Sooks said:

supports being an alright system

The only thing support system has over other similiar systems in other jrpgs is that it isn't MC only, but has the whole cast involved in it.

Other than that it's a pretty shit system honestly.

But a tolerable one unlike others i shall not name

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's not perfect, a couple of characters come to mind that could've used a bit more screentime, but it's still a much more organic, flexible system that allows for far more interesting things to be done with the characters

yeah such a system expanded would be much better for FE imo. 

Valkyria Chronicles uses such a system and i love it honestly.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-