Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yes, he is. Origin was my first Ys game, as it were, heh.

Second for me, though the first that i beat (I played Ys 7 before but HP sponge bosses killed any desire for me to keep playing).

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

27 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, he usually doesn't?

Yeah he usually doesn't

There are some scenes where he does speak, and these have been increasing lately, but these ones are some usually super important scenes. He does emote alot tho, and the games show him talking sometimes but not as a dialogue box, but in "Adol said what happened" form. He also has battle dialogues.

So seeing him speak in the videos either means they will finally let him talk "normally", or the game is gonna be something super important.

Or pulling a Ys 9.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Okay yeah this game is a fucking masterpiece. The fucking rush when I finally beat boss 2 at a youthful, spry-ass 36 years of age.

I could probably bring it down, but I'm fucking sick and tired of this asshole and want a break of his level, so on we go. I will probably regret this decision around the time I get to boss 3.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

> new Father-kun chapter

Yessss!

*reads*

Holy...

This is one of the most disturbing things i ever read.

And i read alot of fucked up shit.

This manga is just too good

But definitely not for the faint of heart

You know, out of context, it just sounds like Japan's Japaning again.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is it a mad father?

I swear I am physically unable to read these two words together and not hear "aaaaaaayaaaaaaa~"

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

and the games show him talking sometimes but not as a dialogue box, but in "Adol said what happened" form.

This was so weird to me, usually with silent protagonists it's they do a little wave and the other character responds to that as if they were talking.

Ys has a whole ass "here's what happened" and after the first few times i was questioning why they just didn't let him talk if they were gonna do it like that.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

> new Father-kun chapter

Yessss!

*reads*

Holy...

This is one of the most disturbing things i ever read.

And i read alot of fucked up shit.

This manga is just too good

But definitely not for the faint of heart

Shrimpy when the sins of man are laid bare

tenor_7.gif?width=600&height=337

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ys has a whole ass "here's what happened" and after the first few times i was questioning why they just didn't let him talk if they were gonna do it like that.

I'd say silent protagonists are something of a spectrum. That, and tradition, being one of the oldest continuous RPG protagonists in a (relatively story-lite) franchise, I can see why they'd keep him this way. Defenders might call it "charming".

38 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_7031.png?width=1313&height=41

Persona fans are the wildest mfers on the planet. THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT FOR A WHOLE YEAR BRO!

And the game is naught but a remake that seems rather faithful(?). Although debating FES content bad/good, Portable content bad/good, and if any of it will be added in DLC or what have you, does add some extra food for conversation. Whatever the case, this means the Internet will have to be shut down within five seconds of P6's reveal, the servers will otherwise blow up and block out the Sun via a giant cloud of electronics particulate (which we shall then inhale to ill effects).

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay yeah this game is a fucking masterpiece. The fucking rush when I finally beat boss 2 at a youthful, spry-ass 36 years of age.

I could probably bring it down, but I'm fucking sick and tired of this asshole and want a break of his level, so on we go. I will probably regret this decision around the time I get to boss 3.

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I think the game is kinda short, so I hope it's good while it lasts.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I think the game is kinda short, so I hope it's good while it lasts.

From what I've seen, it's the kind of game where just beating it once from start to finish isn't quite enough for most people, but we'll see. It's been an enjoyable day of binging, if nothing else. Day went by in a flash playing this lol

after the first few times i was questioning why they just didn't let him talk if they were gonna do it like that.

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That, and tradition, being one of the oldest continuous RPG protagonists in a (relatively story-lite) franchise, I can see why they'd keep him this way.

yeah it's pretty much for historical reasons. 

Especially since Adol already has a set personality (especially after the last 3 games), and he talks in the side materials anyway lol.

Since Ys X is revamping the gameplay system, maybe they tought they could get Adol to talk and gauge fan reactions?

Shrimpy when the sins of man are laid bare

tenor_7.gif?width=600&height=337

More like how the MC (who is the strongest priest) is self hurting due denying sins because he was "trained" (read: tortured) by the church since he was a kid to deny all sins and pleasure.

And he is facing demon of pleasure atm, who is trying to seduce him/"make him fall" by "fixing him"

So trauma, self harm and lotsa disturbing stuff ahoy.

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd say silent protagonists are something of a spectrum. That, and tradition, being one of the oldest continuous RPG protagonists in a (relatively story-lite) franchise, I can see why they'd keep him this way. Defenders might call it "charming".

Oh yeah, Adol's in the same position as Link really.

32 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Since Ys X is revamping the gameplay system, maybe they tought they could get Adol to talk and gauge fan reactions?

Would be curious to see how it goes. Zelda fans, myself included, don't want Link dropping full sentences and i doubt they're gonna make him talk in anything anytime soon. Do Ys fans feel the same about Adol actually speaking?

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh yeah, Adol's in the same position as Link really.

Would be curious to see how it goes. Zelda fans, myself included, don't want Link dropping full sentences and i doubt they're gonna make him talk in anything anytime soon. Do Ys fans feel the same about Adol actually speaking?

Only if he talks like CD-i Link.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Do Ys fans feel the same about Adol actually speaking?

Older fans, me included, do kinda feel like that. Atleast when i was still active in the community. 

With a silent character you can imagine the characterization from their actions and how the characters interact with them. Also helps that Adol emotes alot, so we have a pretty good grasp of his character, but there's still a part that you can imagine. Ys Celceta, 8 and 9 especially helped alot with setting Adol's character. Celceta talks about his past, upbringing and dreams, 8 does his character in parallel with best girl Dana, and 9 is a game that revolves all around Adol.

Making him talk could also lead to him becoming a worse character if not done right. Ys is imo one of the games that prove you don't a talking character to creat/set a personality.

Newer fans don't really feel that afaik, and i have also seen quite a few "Why Adol silent" complaints

Hey @Interdimensional Observer Remember how you said Sifu is a short game?

How's this: On level 3, you can obtain a key to an elevator. On replays, this elevator takes you straight to the boss. From the lobby. Where you start.

You literally only have to fight two enemies to get to the boss in this level, once you've unlocked the shortcut. Now that's efficiency.

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Only if he talks like CD-i Link.

Broke: CD-I Link

Woke: 

26 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Making him talk could also lead to him becoming a worse character if not done right. Ys is imo one of the games that prove you don't a talking character to creat/set a personality.

It really does depend on how important the silent MC is for the story+how story heavy the story is to begin with. Link, Samus, Adol, Cross, etc don't need to talk. Byleth, P3-5 protags, etc would've benefited from actually talking, even if they do get fun dialogue options.

18 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Funny enough you brought Zelda up. My brother got in the last a few years ago with BotW and he told me that he would've prefered it if Link wasn't silent.

The main problem that people have with the Hero of the Wild is that he really doesn't emote. The explanation given in game is that he feels the crushing weight of the kingdom's expectations on his soldiers so he suppresses all emotion. That's neat but then you compare it to Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and especially Skyward Sword Link and it's like come on bro (Hero of Time also didn't emote much but tbf system limitations, they made up for it in artwork, same reason why it took until Phantom Hourglass for a 2D Link to emote and the 2D games are even more light on story).

But hey, he really likes to cook.

It's not an issue for me that much, with there being different Links, it just means this one is the stoic one.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It really does depend on how important the silent MC is for the story+how story heavy the story is to begin with.

Newer Ys games are quite story heavy (ok, not 3H/Persona/Trails level, still) and they still work with silent Adol imo. 

Well, tbf, as i said above, these games also have other ways to set/show characterization without needing Adol to talk, so...

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But hey, he really likes to cook.

No food no life

Now that I think about it, I suppose Hero of Time is the only Link that actually talks in a game.....as the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess. Therefore we can conclude each incarnation of Link is only allowed to actually speak when they're dead.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

No food no life

Can't fight evil on an empty stomach.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Now that I think about it, I suppose Hero of Time is the only Link that actually talks in a game.....as the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess. Therefore we can conclude each incarnation of Link is only allowed to actually speak when they're dead.

That or they're not the PC anymore. Or needs to be in a manga.