Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh, nice. I wonder if I should get the Online Subscription one of these days...

Still, would also be nice if we got remakes. Ah well...

• Replies 177.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Still, would also be nice if we got remakes. Ah well...

I think that's what we're getting next.

Now whether they make both or simply package them into one, remains to be seen. I can see them doing the latter in the modern day.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't forget songs that call them out. Republicans jamming it out to Fortunate Son or Born in the USA is hilarious. They hear the title and that's all they need to hear. 

😁

I mean I don't have NSO, and I have these both on my 3DS, but, I can't help but smile seeing these fun little adventures again.😊

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think that's what we're getting next.

Now whether they make both or simply package them into one, remains to be seen. I can see them doing the latter in the modern day.

I'm not sure of that if things go the Link's Awakening HD path. NSO is an expense, but so would be shelling out at least what, 30-40 buckaroos? For Game Boy Color games with updated graphics. I doubt we'd get something like Samus Returns, a remake that obsoletes the original game (and the Oracle duology is actually good, unlike Return of Samus).

What I'd really want is an Oracle of Secrets, to give Farore her own game at last, to return to restore Mystical Seed to a trilogy, if not the one centered around Triforce collection as had been the original intention. Alas, I would be extremely foolish and very disappointed if I hoped for such a thing.

Ys Celceta: While i do get where Shrimpy was coming from in regards to Leeza being the worst heroine.....not only do i not really have a frame of reference yet but i also have to agree with Observer in that calling Leeza a heroine is very much a stretch. Karna is arguably much more the heroine of the story, hell i'm more willing to believe that Adol and Karna got something going on than with Leeza.

That said, Leeza absolutely should've been playable. I don't understand why Freida is when she has less relevancy than a Xenogears party member, it's honestly insane. She has zero stake in the plot.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

'm not sure of that if things go the Link's Awakening HD path. NSO is an expense, but so would be shelling out at least what, 30-40 buckaroos? For Game Boy Color games with updated graphics.

That's the thing, unless the remakes are $30, it'd be foolish to release them both at $60. This ain't Pokemon where only the diehards get both versions. The Oracle games require both be played for the true end, so i could see something like: The Legend of Zelda: Song of the Oracles.

I considered "Oracles of Ages and Seasons" but that's kinda a mouthful. Plus "Song" fits with the whole music motif Nayru and Din (and Farore) got going on.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I don't understand why Freida is when she has less relevancy than a Xenogears party member, it's honestly insane. She has zero stake in the plot.

I wouldn't go that far, she is from the same village Duren and Bad Dude. Though it is true you could technically delete her and leave everything related to village to Duren alone and it wouldn't really change anything. Probably would be better that way, I don't think we needed two playables from the same secret village, I felt that even as I played the game.

I hopped online earlier today, I had the random urge to read what changes Memories of Celceta had made compared to the two 1993 Ys IV games (neither developed in-house by Nihon Falcom, oddly) that it canonically replaced- Mask of the Sun (Super Famicom) and The Dawn of Ys (PC Engine aka "TurboGrafx-16" in NA). While I didn't get any explanation for it, I did glimpse a comment or two claiming Celceta was unfinished/rushed. Given the man Freida is said to have loved never appears in the game, maybe that is evidence of an unfinished thread? The game didn't feel blatantly unfinished/rushed like 'gears/saga did to me, though I will say Celceta did move a little too fast later on. Decidedly not the problem Ys VIII had where it ended feeling maybe ten hours too long.

As for differences in the various versions of Adol's journey to Celceta, I didn't get a full spoilers & details-heavy list of them. Leeza and Karna existed in both Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys, so did Duren, but his role was much more minor than that of Replacement Dogi. Birdman, the villain trio, the ghost, and Leo (albeit unnamed in one version) all existed too, but important details differed. Adol's amnesia is exclusive to Memories of Celceta, the origins of which -again no evidence was provided by the one who stated it (I wish there had been)- may lay in Memories having begun as a total franchise reboot with a younger Adol.

Overall, Memories of Celceta follows the contours of Mask of the Sun's story, but with some serious changes and updates, and some positive aspects taken from The Dawn of Ys, the Hudson Soft-developed version of Ys IV deemed less in line with Falcom's original vision and was never canon. Although The Dawn of Ys is considered in every way the superior old Ys IV.

Actually someone in the discord suggested "Age of Seasons" for a remake title and i think that's genius.

B-b-but Seasons is usually considered the first game to happen! It needs to be "Seasons of Ages".

Shame we're mere mortals who have to see things in sequence, and can't compress the words "Seasons" and "Ages" into a single undifferentiated phrase wherein neither comes first because both exist in same place at the same time with neither following nor preceding the other, because all time is reduced to a single eternal timeless moment.

..."Seasons of Ages" sounds like a beautiful concept aesthetically. For Zelda specifically, kinda makes me think that the Oracles are both the True Time Zelda, not Ocarina of Child and Manchild (not meant pejoratively, Adult Link is factually a child in an adult's body -but we don't feel it b/c Link Silent) or Majora's Loopy Acid Trip Acid Trip Acid Trip. And yes I remember you thought Ages did time better than OoT.

Gotta say I love the trailer they've put together for this.🤩 It's not even two minutes, but it's very majestic to start, with good flow and packed to the brim with Oracle goodness, maybe too much even.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, what's up with that self-destructing enemies don't hurt each other, just the party.

Some games do do that. One of the Atelier games I played did have exploding fire enemies deal damage to their comrades, albeit incredibly small and capable of dangerously lighting the fuses of others of its species. 

You also happen to me reminding me of one specific random encounter enemy formation I remembered today the sixth labyrinth of EOIV has. A thunder slime in the front, a sleeping crimson lion and a Hollow Magus in the back. Left on its own, the Hollow Magus buffs the lion, but in an unusual twist deals a tiny amount of damage to the lion, which is still enough to wake it up, and once awakened the lion will absolutely maul your team. You don't want to let that happen, but the harmless thunder slime transforms into a raging strong monster if you kill anything before you kill it. If you don't kill the Hollow Magus on turn 1, you'll be killed by the lion, but if you kill the Magus (or the lion), the slime will kill you. Demands some thought to come out alive.

Not at all what you meant. But it is "destruction of an enemy makes their companions react".

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Don't forget songs that call them out. Republicans jamming it out to Fortunate Son or Born in the USA is hilarious. They hear the title and that's all they need to hear.

"Man I can't believe they made John Lennon woke"

I can't say that about a lot of people honestly. Johnny Cash? John Denver? Do conservatives just not listen to the lyrics?

Now this

this is the kind of song that Republicans think they're listening to (the song itself doesn't have any alt-right bullshit, but it is kinda American propaganda, despite being sung by a British dude).

Post 911 American nationalism has done irreserveble damage to country music.

And that's a wrap-up. Phew! Finally, I'm done with Trails FC, and it only took me eight years to finish this game! Don't know when I'll start Trails SC... but well, it'll happen when it happens.

Up next on my backlog... I did say it'd be an Atelier game. Alright then, Rorona time... next time! 

@Armagon I got auto build, thanks. It seems like using vehicles more often (literally at all) should be more feasible. Should I continue to do the side adventure with

Spoiler

the Yiga Clan leader

right now or is auto build the only thing that was super warranted right now? 

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

This is why it's after the fact.

Oh, fair enough. I kinda felt like gatekeeping by definition was before the fact, but alright.

44 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And that's a wrap-up. Phew! Finally, I'm done with Trails FC, and it only took me eight years to finish this game! Don't know when I'll start Trails SC... but well, it'll happen when it happens.

So how was the ending? Great stuff right?

9 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Here t'is

This one and Double Dragon were my main draws to the arcade on Saturday nights in the 90's

Ah yeah, I thought I remembered that.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yay, more ROMs of extremely popular games.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

That's the thing, unless the remakes are $30, it'd be foolish to release them both at $60.

Let's be honest with ourselves for a moment. Do you truly put it past Nintendo?

I would go as far as to argue the opposite. They'd be foolish not to release them at 60 bucks. The Zelda name on the box alone ensures it'll sell like hotcakes. They've no reason to sell them at a low price... Though, being frank, I doubt they'd go for 60 either. 50, though? If I had to hazard a guess, it's going to be 50.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, I'm almost at the end! But first, gonna train up Estelle to level 40. For the transfer to SC.

Nightmare mode tutorial boss incoming. lmao

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yay, more ROMs of extremely popular games.

Think of it like this, there are those who will never unofficially emulate, owing to the legal questionability of the practice. And, there are those who wouldn't shell out money to buy these games and or don't want to go through the effort required to emulate (humans are inherently lazy creatures after all). Throwing these on NSO resolves the first group's issue, and the latter group might consider playing the games if they're part of a service they already pay into.

Is it best for the Oracles' preservation and consumer-friendliness rereleasing them this way? No, of course not.

But, I wasn't cheering for preservation (and I already own the games), I was cheering merely making the games available again (after the 3DS eShop shut down), however imperfect. It gives them a moment in the gamers' spotlight again, and now there is the possibility of people who never played them before will experience them and have fun doing so. As one fond of the Oracle duology myself, I like that. It's the missionary's joy to see their scriptures reprinted and potentially new converts made. If Anglaise Berwick Saga ended up on some kind of subscription service, would you not grudgingly have to acknowledge it could bring more into Ward's flock? And wouldn't you find that to some degree a happy thing?

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Think of it like this, there are those who will never unofficially emulate, owing to the legal questionability of the practice. And, there are those who wouldn't shell out money to buy these games and or don't want to go through the effort required to emulate (humans are inherently lazy creatures after all). Throwing these on NSO resolves the first group's issue, and the latter group might consider playing the games if they're part of a service they already pay into.

Is it best for the Oracles' preservation and consumer-friendliness rereleasing them this way? No, of course not.

But, I wasn't cheering for preservation (and I already own the games), I was cheering merely making the games available again (after the 3DS eShop shut down), however imperfect. It gives them a moment in the gamers' spotlight again, and now there is the possibility of people who never played them before will experience them and have fun doing so. As one fond of the Oracle duology myself, I like that. It's the missionary's joy to see their scriptures reprinted and potentially new converts made. If Anglaise Berwick Saga ended up on some kind of subscription service, would you not grudgingly have to acknowledge it could bring more into Ward's flock? And wouldn't you find that to some degree a happy thing?

Nah, yeah, sorry. I can't help but be the buzzkill when it comes to Ninty Online. It's of course nice to bring these games to people who might never see them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As one fond of the Oracle duology myself, I like that. It's the missionary's joy to see their scriptures reprinted and potentially new converts made. If Anglaise Berwick Saga ended up on some kind of subscription service, would you not grudgingly have to acknowledge it could bring more into Ward's flock? And wouldn't you find that to some degree a happy thing?

Damn, well said. 

That and when I saw the word Zelda I immediately assumed they were doing the "here are games everyone's played before, give us moneys" funny. But looking more into it, these seem to be pretty unknown Zeldas. As unknown as a Zelda can be, at any rate.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

I don't understand why Freida is when she has less relevancy than a Xenogears party member, it's honestly insane. She has zero stake in the plot.

She has some very important connections to the Eldeen lore.

Adol faces her fiancee in Ys 6 iirc

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given the man Freida is said to have loved never appears in the game, maybe that is evidence of an unfinished thread?

Ys 6 😉