• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Status report on my Arcane Archer:

YW2fuF2.jpg

I'm gonna say "not amazing as an archer" - with Lethality (replace Str with Cun for damage calc) kicking in, Leliana's damage isn't that much worse, even though her equipment is still kinda generic in a lot of slots. Considering that, I'd guess that a dedicated archer warden, Rogue or Warrior, would handily out-DPS Lhevrin. He does have pretty good defenses (and can add a casual +12 armour and +17 defense by activating Stone Armour and Arcane Shield, if needed) and, of course, some mage utility: healing, glyphs (I really need to use the big stun spell combination more often), an insta-kill on most mages (Mana Clash really is OP).

Honestly, my main issue is that little voice that keeps saying that he'd still be better if I just swapped him to melee weapons, especially because I just found the Arcane Warrior-exclusive sword. Plus, only Sten is using Morrigan's Frost Weapon aura, since it doesn't apply to ranged attacks. Still, not a terrible build, and kinda appropriate for an elven Mage.

e0k29e9.jpg

It also doesn't require a lot of micro, with the healing spells in the automated tactics, so I can pay more attention to Morrigan's spells. I believe the fixpack I'm using nerfs Cone of Cold by allowing a saving throw against it, but it's still a really satisfying spell when it hits big.

p71uKfm.jpg

Also, easy fight. 😎

I haven't done the gauntlet yet, so maybe there'll be some revelation that changes this, but Sten actually lost a few points in my book during this quest. I said that I like how he appreciates if the Warden tries to wrap their head around Sten's set of values, but during this quest, he absolutely does not return the favour and just gives some "Hmph. What a dumb religion" comments throughout the exploration of the temple, as if he wants to replace his helm with a fedora. He has a very good line when the guardian digs in everybody's pasts ("I have never denied that I failed."), though, as opposed to Morrigan's somewhat cowardly ("Begone spirit. I will not play your games."), though perfectly understandable refusal to even hear it.

sf2WKUQ.jpg

Finally, an older screenshot that I forgot to post. I think somebody might have forgotten something when making the two-worded one for the Soldier's Keep DLC.

8 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

It looks good, but it essentially has nothing to do with Rondo of Blood.

If I recall, from how the first series ended, it was unlikely for that to happen.

I remember saying they'd just use Shaft and maybe even Olrox... and I was right, apparently. Olrox is showing up. Early Elizabeth Bathory is a surprise, however.

Being honest, though, the series never really caught my attention, and this one isn't doing it either. So I'll continue to pass on it.

On 7/25/2023 at 1:31 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Fallen in love for another husbando already? There's a name for that, you know.

Yes, it's called being bisexual.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

This is from the 80s.

In general I mean.

AcDvWjg.jpg

Leliana summing things up pretty well, actually.

I think I said this months back, but having a successful search for what's basically the Thedasian Holy Grail as a part of a part of a part of a part of the main plot really seems like an odd choice.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh.😐

85a4b58a-abff-11ed-887e-02420a00012e.web

I suppose you could also say Classicvania but since it's not stage-based level progression, the Zelda II comparison is more fitting.

At least two people I saw called it "the black sheep of Ys", Ys without its distinctly Ys identity. That could be it.

If I feel like it, I could play it one of these days. The original has a fanslation I think.

Some nice hits, but it gets samey recreationally listening to it outside of the game itself.

I think that's the thing with (instrumental) rock in a game. It can be cool but too much of it makes it repetitive.

Now Musou crossovers I think sort of cheat here because it's rock renditions of pre-existing songs, so it's now a new take as opposed to just the song. 

54 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

general I mean

Country's a mid genre anyways.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

85a4b58a-abff-11ed-887e-02420a00012e.web

I suppose you could also say Classicvania but since it's not stage-based level progression, the Zelda II comparison is more fitting.

Seeing stairs like that gives me flashbacks.

Etrian-Odyssey-IV-27-07-23-13-28-03-818.

This

Etrian-Odyssey-IV-27-07-23-13-28-40-922.

is

Etrian-Odyssey-IV-27-07-23-13-28-54-351.

why I enjoy EO.

Gradually crawling up the skill trees, getting and strengthening the skills that make my characters come alive. It's a slow, continuous progression that makes every level up feel like a little reward. It's a cycle that I think defines the experience for me, it's a sense of growth and accomplishment.

But to get strong

Etrian-Odyssey-IV-27-07-23-14-32-13-005.

one must start

Etrian-Odyssey-IV-27-07-23-14-48-26-086.

weak.🌱

Dying to two frogs and one mandrake in three turns after entering the battle at full health. Is this what I get for entering an optional cave instead of heading into the first labyrinth?

This is why a newbie is recommended to pack the tank class of the relevant game. Etrian Odyssey never holds its punches, you start the games as scrubs and the series has never let you forget that. It takes a little time to get your team off the ground and reasonably surviving the earliest part of the game. It flies in the face of JRPG conventions.

Mapping in Citra isn't too bad either. I'm playing the game alternating between controller and mouse, which is perhaps unusual for a video game, but I'm getting used to it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

The hardest part of Cold Steel IV is figuring out which bonding events to see, not that it really matters since getting to max bonding level with everyone seems rather easy. Though unless the final chapter has some this is probably the last time they'll be a mechanic, so maybe I should enjoy it while I still can? I'm surprised Rean took the initiative when it came to his and Alisa's relationship, I thought everyone else was supposed to dump their feelings on him?

When visiting [REDACTED] on August 29th

Spoiler

Renne finally sees her family again, it only took six games for a proper meeting! I've been waiting for it since I finished Zero; I was going to mention it when I finished that game, but it's better late than never.

Also I got Pikmin 4, it only took ten years. One must master the art of Dandori to play more than one game at a time.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It was interesting, but knowing already the story had to be split up in two games, it definitely felt more like "buy SC to see the rest!", hahaha.

I mean, it quite literally ends with a trailer for the next game. I'm impressed with your willpower if you haven't bought it already.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for Wind Waker, yes it was poorly-received, but le grande infame of Celda meant it still held a lot of attention, even if it was vocally negative.

The internet is exactly the same as it was 20 years ago.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Please don't feed anyone to 'zilla if this sounds too much like a "X is a bad Y game, but not a terrible Z game" criticism.

You're fine, Godzilla doesn't eat people. Rodan and King Ghidorah, on the other hand...

11 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I mean, it quite literally ends with a trailer for the next game. I'm impressed with your willpower if you haven't bought it already.

Oh, I long bought it too. My backlog is huge, as it were.

15 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Also I got Pikmin 4, it only took ten years. One must master the art of Dandori to play more than one game at a time.

Japanese sales are out, 401,853 physical copies sold. Add in digital sales, and it could very well reach 1 million in Japan alone in a week or two. (Meanwhile, Final Fantasy XVI has sold 401,376 physical in Japan after like a month on the market. Pikmin > Game About Doms, at least in Japan.) Sounds like a real success for Pikmin.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Yes, it's called being bisexual.

Wonder who the next one will be. I don't think there's another long-haired dashing rogue in this game. Well, there's Soren, but you already know Soren.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Seeing stairs like that gives me flashbacks.

Close

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't think there's another long-haired dashing rogue in this game.

Heather, technically.

--

Final DA:O comment for the day: Wade and Herren are fabulous.

3 minutes ago, gnip said:

Heather, technically.

I mean, she has long hair, is a rogue, and was dashing over to the village to steal stuff. She totally qualifies!

Heather, technically.

Well, Quetzal is bisexual.

Final DA:O comment for the day: Wade and Herren are fabulous.

I did enjoy their little dynamic. It was fun.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Draggy played it and liked it alot iirc

(I hope he is doing well)

Ol' Draggy. I went ahead and checked his profile.

...I'd forgotten this was the last thing he said here.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:16 PM, DragonFlames said:

Don't get me wrong, I am probably the person on this thread who hates Fates the most.

He dropped fire and left. He truly was the DragonFlames. I hope he's doing well too.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Fuck me

I haven't felt this awake in like

a year lol

...it's 2300

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And i am in a fucking dancing mood, too

Dance away, then.

Dance like no one's shooting at us!