• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

.Is fighting to have ice in one's drink a common thing in the US? I believe we spoke of it before, but I can't recall.

Outside of dairy products, if you want a cold drink, it usually has ice in it. It is the default. So imagine my surprise reading tales of people traveling overseas and they're all like "bro I ordered a soda and they didn't put any ice in it".

Cold dairy products don't do this tho. Usually. If you put ice in my milkshake, I'm killing you. The Venezuelan place I went to the other day had the audacity to put ice in my chicha. Bro. 

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Reminds me when in both high and middle (or should it be junior high? English counterpart labels are confusing) schools we had French lessons.

Were the French lessons mandatory? Schools here usually force you to take two foreign language classes (advanced counts). People who are bilingual can opt to take a special test that automatically placed them in an Honors class of whatever language they are fluent in. Like for me, I took a special test so I could immediately jump into Spanish Honors in my junior year, which after that I took Spanish AP in my senior, thus allowing me to bypass taking foreign language classes in college for my Associate's.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Meanwhile here we have to clarify we don't want ice. Else it seems putting ice is by default.

Yeah it's less of an America vs Europe thing and more of an New World vs Old World thing. I remember Venezuela also defaults to ice in drinks.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Were the French lessons mandatory? Schools here usually force you to take two foreign language classes (advanced counts). People who are bilingual can opt to take a special test that automatically placed them in an Honors class of whatever language they are fluent in. Like for me, I took a special test so I could immediately jump into Spanish Honors in my junior year, which after that I took Spanish AP in my senior, thus allowing me to bypass taking foreign language classes in college for my Associate's.

Yes, they were. Though for High School I was in the bilingual group (where half our classes are in English), so I don't know if French is taken by the regular class groups.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Outside of dairy products, if you want a cold drink, it usually has ice in it. It is the default. So imagine my surprise reading tales of people traveling overseas and they're all like "bro I ordered a soda and they didn't put any ice in it".

I suppose it's another side effect of going "Europe does this", because in Spain if it's summer you'll get ice on your drinks basically by default. Might depend on the bar, I guess.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Jn7dVu1.png

I like how you post every time a fragile-looking anime girl performs violence in a manga you read as if it's still a shocker the 54th time it happens.

Still better than generic damsels in distress so I'll take it.

Wait! Wait, wait, it gets better. Holy shit, it gets better.

The microtransactions for Payday 3 got leaked.

They're going to charge 10 bucks for a mask.

A mask. Something you can't even see when you're ingame.

For reference, with 10 bucks you can buy the final (and currently most expensive) DLC pack in Payday 2. It came out earlier this year and includes four DLCs containing a heist, three weapons, four masks, four suits, four gloves and some soundtrack. And that's already, honestly, pretty suspect and well worth waiting for a sale to nab. But at least it's not a single fucking mask.

It's actually incredible. Between the always online fiasco, the awful progression system being widely panned, the lack of content and promise of DLC even more overprized than Payday 2's and this nonsense, I'm going to be surprised if this game manages to succeed. It's doing everything wrong.

It's October now, to try playing a game, maybe...

SBD-Title.png

this? Destroying the undead with the power of the Sun Daitarn approves.☀️🧛‍♂️⚰️📡

-Or, not today. I played maybe five minutes of real gameplay, but then I was interrupted by a call that could've set my mental health on a positive track. But... no psychologists currently available, only social workers, and only in-person. Is something better than nothing and I settle for an s' worker? I think a psyche suits me more, but all the ones in insurance that I emailed either didn't respond or said they weren't accepting new patients. The rest in insurance seem not to specialize in depression. I don't want a psychiatrist b/c I don't want to be recced medication, I don't think I need that. Apparently it's 700k social workers, 170k psychologists in the US. Should I look for a different social worker that does virtual appointments? I was too nice and accepted an appointment the guy on the other end of the phone (who seemed quite nice) set up, not that I have to go to it. -I don't like these roadblocks. And then there was an IRL bug infestation I had to deal with (the ants are bigger now).

So, now I don't feel like starting SBD.😆 Particularly because the IRL clock ingame that means playing at night isn't much of an option (for a while at least).

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The adaptation we should've gotten.

Not bad.😀 Although did they need to replace the red wine/blood glass with ice cream? Doesn't seem like a banker wouldn't consume either beverage.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's October now, to try playing a game, maybe...

SBD-Title.png

this? Destroying the undead with the power of the Sun Daitarn approves.☀️🧛‍♂️⚰️📡

Oh, heard of those games. Don't they like, you need to actually let your GBA receive sunlight to make some thing work? How does an emulator, well, emulate that?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not bad.😀 Although did they need to replace the red wine/blood glass with ice cream? Doesn't seem like a banker wouldn't consume either beverage.

I think for the kind of comic the original is, that the banker having an ice cream is par for the course, heh.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It would've been awkward to draw the scene with a severed head and an artery serving as the straw.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, heard of those games. Don't they like, you need to actually let your GBA receive sunlight to make some thing work? How does an emulator, well, emulate that?

klpj3pmnpko61.jpg

Me.

Emulators can't possibly contain the solar sensor.:

nlreqxfic30ak7ckfhgd.jpg

So you download a patch that lets you manually adjust the sunlight level whenever you want. The patch I grabbed sets it to Select+Left/Right to decrease/increase the level.

Still, the game uses IRL time ala Pokemon and Animal Crossing. So if you play at night IRL, the sun will be gone. It's not impossible to play after dark, though more difficult b/c you'll need to conserve your solar energy and use Solar Nuts, or extract accumulated surplus from a Solar Station/Sun Bank, or take out a Dark Loan. Solar Boy Django, thanks to one addition I'm familiar with (I spoiled myself on this game looooooooong ago, I owned the first but could only glimpse at the sequel), does eventually make nighttime play easier. -Although you probably still need constant sunlight to utilize the Pile Driver to finish off Immortals.

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think for the kind of comic the original is, that the banker having an ice cream is par for the course, heh.

I'm just saddened to see, even if the consumer is evil, perfectly good ice cream go to waste.🍦😂

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It would've been awkward to draw the scene with a severed head and an artery serving as the straw.

They weren't in the mood for that at work. But don't worry, tonight's dinner is intestines served in a bowl of red and slurped like ramen noodles.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

klpj3pmnpko61.jpg

Me.

smh my head, you're clearly still new to this. Obviously you pirate the sunlight on your Nintendo PC.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They weren't in the mood for that at work. But don't worry, tonight's dinner is intestines served in a bowl of red and slurped like ramen noodles.

Mmm, tastes like capitalism.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

because in Spain if it's summer you'll get ice on your drinks basically by default

Being a stone's throw away from Africa would do that.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

klpj3pmnpko61.jpg

Me.

This is the only way to play the game.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So you download a patch that lets you manually adjust the sunlight level whenever you want. The patch I grabbed sets it to Select+Left/Right to decrease/increase the level.

Side note but I wonder how much the tagline "The Sun in Your Hand" is a reference to Spider-Man 2 and Doc Ock's "power of the sun in the palm of my hand".

Though the game predates the movie actually so it's just a neat coincidence.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Side note but I wonder how much the tagline "The Sun in Your Hand" is a reference to Spider-Man 2 and Doc Ock's "power of the sun in the palm of my hand".

Though the game predates the movie actually so it's just a neat coincidence.

This is the subtitle only internationally. The Japanese name for the series translates as "Our Sun", which in transliterated Japanese is Bokura no Taiyo. "Our Sun" sounds homey in its possessiveness, yet odd in English, I can see why the localizers chose to simply contract the Japanese instead.

As for the subtitle for the first game, it's a blend of kanji, katakana, and Latin letters that translate as "Solar Action RPG". Which actually tells you what the game is gameplay-wise. (Although I'm inclined to say Boktai 1 is closer to being pure action, the RPG elements in Bok1 are minimal. Though having played Lunar Knights long ago (Boktai DS in Japan, the new leads Lucian and Aaron are known as Sabata and Django in Japanese) I know they increase in the other three games.)

The international "The Sun is in Your Hand" subtitle, makes me think the localizers came up with a fair translation of Bokura no Taiyo- Our Sun > Sun Your Hand reflective of Western individualism over Japanese collectivism. But they couldn't make a translation sounded that sounded like a title, so they made it the subtitle and simply ejected the Japanese one. Yet as a result they left Western players unsure of what the game was, besides weird name + sun.

Ironically, the sequel is actually more befitting of the first game's international subtitle. As right away, Django loses the Gun del Sol that got him though the first game, and relies on the Sol de Vice instead.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I am reaching the point where i can't even be fucking angry anymore.

🙂

Vent if you need to. Given all I've done it here, it is only fitting I return the favor.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

It's just fandom stuff...

😌

The possessive echo chambers of the Internet. Oiiii.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Fandom stuff that leads to death of people.

Artists bullied to suicide/death in the name of morals is just the cool thing nowadays i guess 🙂

...How tragic.😦

Really? I get being 🤨 😐 🙄 at an artist's work. But verbally lambasting them so much they end their own lives is going further than I was expecting. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, given LGBTQ+s regularly tragically get that kind of abuse, but I wouldn't have thought someone making art would suffer the same.