• Armagon

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

anyway, forget my rants

Not a problem.

Behold Parodius and forget everything else.😛

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantSpaceFleaFromNowhere

Founds an appropriate term for our FE plot ruining Dragons 😄

Fleas? Are you sure they aren't bedbugs, because I've heard they've landed in Paris over the past few days.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Parodius

lol

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fleas? Are you sure they aren't bedbugs, because I've heard they've landed in Paris over the past few days.

Tomatoe tomato 😛

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Opera_Snapshot_2023-10-02_211731_twitter

Latin America moment. XD

22 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Found an appropriate term for our FE plot ruining Dragons 😄

I do wonder. Just how often does it actually happen?

Even the Fire Dragon of Blazing Blade is something we're always warned Nergal may do and we spend like half the game trying to stop. We simply fail. So it's not really out of nowhere.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

28 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Just how often does it actually happen?

Shadow Dragon: played straight

Gaiden: played straight

Mystery: "it turns out Hardin was actually possessed"

FE4: lmao

FE5: played straight

FE6: played straight. If anything it's a bit of a reversal as the dragon is the pawn of the main villain.

FE7: see above

FE8: depends on the route

FE9: played straight

FE10: uhhhhh

FE13: honestly in a similar vein to FE10

FE14: LMAO

FE16: played straight

FE17: played straight

Heroes: what the actual fuck is going on

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Shadow Dragon: played straight

Gaiden: played straight

Mystery: "it turns out Hardin was actually possessed"

FE4: lmao

FE5: played straight

FE6: played straight. If anything it's a bit of a reversal as the dragon is the pawn of the main villain.

FE7: see above

FE8: depends on the route

FE9: played straight

FE10: uhhhhh

FE13: honestly in a similar vein to FE10

FE14: LMAO

FE16: played straight

FE17: played straight

Ah, no, that's not what the trope means. The trope is about there being little to no foreshadowing or context. In most FE games, we do have it.

We know about Medeus since Day 1. There's no surprise boss after him. So the first game doesn't fulfill the trope criteria. If anything, Medeus fulfills this trope instead:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrcusOnHisThrone

And so on.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, no, that's not what the trope means. The trope is about there being little to no foreshadowing or context. In most FE games, we do have it.

We know about Medeus since Day 1. There's no surprise boss after him. So the first game doesn't fulfill the trope criteria.

And so on.

Ah. In that case:

• FE1: yeah played straight.
  • FE2: Also. I mean, Jedah's even fought in the final map too.
  • FE3: Is it stated that Gharnef is kidnapping maidens to resurrect Medeus? Like, you know they're going missing but don't know why. I think for a good chunk of the story it's assumed Hardin just went off the deep end.
  • FE4: It's literally the plan/
  • FE5: played straight
  • FE6: reversed
  • FE7: Same as above
  • FE8: again kinda depends
  • FE9: played straight
  • FE10: Ehhh i don't remember Ashera awakening being an explicit goal of the villains in this game. Ashnard sure but Begnion?
  • FE13: played straight
  • FE14: "DLC"
  • FE16: Actually depends on the route, like literally nothing about Verdant Wind suggested Nemesis would come back
  • FE17: played straight.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah. In that case:

• FE1: yeah played straight.
  • FE2: Also. I mean, Jedah's even fought in the final map too.
  • FE3: Is it stated that Gharnef is kidnapping maidens to resurrect Medeus? Like, you know they're going missing but don't know why. I think for a good chunk of the story it's assumed Hardin just went off the deep end.
  • FE4: It's literally the plan/
  • FE5: played straight
  • FE6: reversed
  • FE7: Same as above
  • FE8: again kinda depends
  • FE9: played straight
  • FE10: Ehhh i don't remember Ashera awakening being an explicit goal of the villains in this game. Ashnard sure but Begnion?
  • FE13: played straight
  • FE14: "DLC"
  • FE16: Actually depends on the route, like literally nothing about Verdant Wind suggested Nemesis would come back
  • FE17: played straight.

Subverted, not played straight. So Shadow Dragon subverts it, etc.

In Chapter 14 of Mystery, Gotoh explains that Gharnef is planning something, and in Chapter 19 Boah outright says it's to resurrect Medeus. So subverted too. The game is more of a case of us being fed breadcrumbs and slowly unraveling the... well, Mystery.

Through Part 3 we are still told how the war could trigger the awakening of Ashera and passing judgement, so we definitely know long ahead of time. So subverted too.

Actually, I think it's easier to count who actually plays it straight.

Nemesis definitely plays it straight, and... uh... hmm... Maybe Rhea going berserk in Silver Snow could also count, since that too has no warning whatsoever. In Verdant Wind she doesn't go mad, and in Crimson Flower we do see what made her mad.

That... could actually be all of them... maybe...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Subverted, not played straight. So Shadow Dragon subverts it, etc.

In Chapter 14 of Mystery, Gotoh explains that Gharnef is planning something, and in Chapter 19 Boah outright says it's to resurrect Medeus. So subverted too.

Through Part 3 we are still told how the war could trigger the awakening of Ashera, so we definitely know long ahead of time. So subverted too.

Actually, I think it's easier to count who actually plays it straight.

Nemesis definitely plays it straight, and... uh... hmm... Maybe Rhea going berserk in Silver Snow could also count, since that too has no warning whatsoever. In Verdant Wind she doesn't go mad, and in Crimson Flower we do see what made her mad.

That... could actually be all of them... maybe...

I meant "played straight" as in we get foreshadowing as to who the villain was, not the other way around.

Just now, Armagon said:

I meant "played straight" as in we get foreshadowing as to who the villain was, not the other way around.

Ah, thought you were still talking from the trope.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Let me guess- you bashed some rando's skull against his favorite frying pan.

Regrettably, frying pans are not weapons in this game. The cook tries to sumo the shit out of you instead, like all the other fat guys in the game. That's another thing I love about this game - I don't think there are any clones in the entire campaign, every foe is unique and fits the setting of each stage. And yet at the same time, enemies retain enough key similarities in body build and/or attire that you can instantly tell what kind of enemy you're facing at a glance. Immense variety without undermining gameplay. Brilliant visual design.

...That aside, on the topic of the cook, this is arena mode and has no lore so whatever, but the cook had me thinking about something in the main game. I discussed it with a pal on Discord back when I first played the game, but let me bring it up here.

You see, in Sifu's regular ending, you kill all the targets and achieve your revenge. It can be reasonably inferred that you also kill everyone else you come across. You become a bloodthirsty monster in your hunt for vengeance. Sick shit. But then there's the good ending, where you learn the value of mercy and spare the targets, ending the cycle of vengeance and yada yada.

But what about the legions of people that you plow through on your way to the targets? The first two stages are a drug den and a nightclub of dubious legality, so they can't exactly go to the police and risk their illicit activities being revealed. But the third stage is a museum, the fourth is the tower of the city's wealthiest, most influential corporation and the fifth is a traditional healing centre. Even if the targets are inspired by the spirit of wude and don't sic the cops on John/Jenny Sifu's ass... What about the sanctuary's cook, masseurs and yoga instructor that you beat up? The entire security details of the museum and the tower? You'd think at least some of them're bound to be peeved enough by the skull fracture to press charged.

So there's two options: either you kill everyone but the target, which kind of undermines the concept of the good ending, or you don't kill anyone (which would also require never using knives in gameplay - their takedown animations are very lethal-looking), at which point the only logical conclusion is that, the day after Sifu's events, John/Jenny Sifu is clapped in irons and thrown in prison for 20 years under fifty different assault and battery charges.

I know the answer is "videogame, nobody cares" but I dunno, sometimes it's fun to think about these scenarios. Sifu takes places in real China. I can reasonably believe the police doesn't make an appearance ingame, Sifu takes place over a period of roughly 12 hours (you can tell by a handy clock on the stage select screen) and the first two stages' worth of people wouldn't call the cops, but what about the future? Clearly Sifu 2 needs to be an Ace Attorney game.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Being a stone's throw away from Africa would do that.

You guys actually get higher temperatures on average than we do overhere lol. At least in the places that aren't Andalucia.

9 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

-snip-

forget it

Observer's quick response allows me to see what you were talking about, but well, I can understand not having the energy to discuss it again. We all know where we stand on that topic.

8 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

anyway, forget my rants

What about the garbage bagmen?

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

I mean... It can't be played straight if it's a reversal lol. It's easy to overlook because FE6 otherwise has such a nothing plot, but FE6 is very much a twist on the trope. The mastermind is the human king and the big bad dragon is the tragic figure. Well, technically the game spends a single chapter pretending the mastermind's Jahn, but Zephiel was the one who awoke Idunn fully intending to use her to destroy mankind and establish a world of dragons. Jahn basically just helped a bit behind the scenes, kinda?

Besides, it's Jahn. Nobody cares about Jahn. The only thing he has is a banger of a boss theme he doesn't deserve.

Gacha powercreep.

Opera_Snapshot_2023-10-02_230607_twitter

Why is IDEA in caps? Is it like, an acronym? "Intensely Deviating from Excellence and Astuteness"?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Besides, it's Jahn. Nobody cares about Jahn. The only thing he has is a banger of a boss theme he doesn't deserve.

Poor Jahn, doesn't deserve the disrespect! XD

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You guys actually get higher temperatures on average than we do overhere lol

Live New Englander reaction....is what I would say but then I looked at this.

yIe8gWy.jpg?ex=651d60dc&is=651c0f5c&hm=1

So not only is Spain the size of Nevada, it actually just is Nevada, just without the Vegas.

Is this map even accurate cause I feel like something's off.

At any rate, "higher on average" really depends on where in the US you are looking at.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Why is IDEA in caps? Is it like, an acronym? "Intensely Deviating from Excellence and Astuteness"?

Idk they're being stupid.

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

At any rate, "higher on average" really depends on where in the US you are looking at.

Ah, I made the same mistake haha.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They're IDEAing.

Oh, eShop prices dropped. By roughly 200 MXN. Seems to be a permanent thing.

Hmm, seems they finally adjusted to the fact we're at 1:17 to the USD, not 1:20 anymore.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

...Boktai 2 won't save, and the sensor patch is only half-working.😑 I TRY to play a game, and not just think about doing so, and this is what happens.

I don't feel like trying to fix this right now. ...Maybe Kirby instead then.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's another thing I love about this game - I don't think there are any clones in the entire campaign, every foe is unique and fits the setting of each stage. And yet at the same time, enemies retain enough key similarities in body build and/or attire that you can instantly tell what kind of enemy you're facing at a glance. Immense variety without undermining gameplay. Brilliant visual design.

Nice. Reminds of what I've heard of that famed Terracotta Army, each soldier appears to modern scholars to have modeled after a different real individual.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Given what you've said before, it smells like white saviourism. Blind, naïve, and condescending.

Although it also reminds me of how Europeans in the 1800s thought that nooooooooo native inhabitants in Jerusalem never ever bothered over the centuries to name the streets/neighborhoods/sections of the city. And so Europeans came up with the modern four-quarters naming of the Old City, which the locals still don't care for.

15 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

anyway, forget my rants

If there is any villain that plays this trope straight it's Lehran.
Although even he is likely not much of a surprise after Zelgius' memory.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nice. Reminds of what I've heard of that famed Terracotta Army, each soldier appears to modern scholars to have modeled after a different real individual.

That's not a bad analogy. Different people, yet recognizable as a group. Though the difference between Sifu enemies tends to be more dramatic.

UWby1kCo_o.pngn3T3yTur_o.png

Check this out. Two different enemies from different stages, both the same enemy type. The difference is stark, and there are also males in this class, the only gender-locked classes are juggernauts who are always male, and flashkicks who are always female. And yet you can easily tell them apart in a crowd, primarily because these fuckers are always ripped and tower over everybody else, and they adopt a more kung-fu'ish pose than the other enemy types.

Great visual design. Ya love to see it.

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-29-10-61_40deb4

Canada has officially gone too far. 

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Boktai 2 won't save

Save states?

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given what you've said before, it smells like white saviourism. Blind, naïve, and condescending.

Pretentious too. Bungie was hiding tweets of actual LGBT Latinos who were calling them out on their bullshit.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_2023-10-03-14-29-10-61_40deb4

Canada has officially gone too far. 

They went too far already Armagon, they went too far already.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith