• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Being that you have 51 characters to use, I imagine part of the fun is figuring out wacky ways to defeat enemies. Caster Laura let's gooooooooo

I made jokes about the large cast before release, but I found that managing equipment and upgrades for so many characters was easier than I was expecting

There are most certainly... Unorthodox setups that work really well in specific fights, no doubt. 

Its generally not too bad unless you are in the "trying to decide on what to gear a character towards" phase.

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Thanks, though I'm not done with everything yet so I might have some other things to talk about. Like how I'll probably never beat everyone in Pom Pom Party, for example

You're very welcome! 

It's... Honestly quite luck based in think. Skill is somewhat needed, but it comes down to luck in the end.

Curious as to which characters you used most! 

Mine were:

Musse

Fie

Rixia

Lloyd

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Is that the one that permanently locks you out of Lanayru?

More like locks you out if you go to Lanaryu. I will put the details in spoiler box, as someone is playing this game on this forum, and I am betting they have the patch that fixes it.

Spoiler

How it works is if you complete the Dragon quest in Lanaryu desert before going back to the Eldin Volcano, and talk to the Goron archeologist who investigates dragons twice. I was playing relatively blind (still only had dial-up at the time), and trying to be as completionist as I could, so I was exploring, and talking to people a lot, so after the first Dragon quest, I had already heard about the Lanaryu dragon from the Goron archeologist, and went after it second, figuring my Goron friend would give me some advice for where to start with the Volcano one, after I dealt with the desert...

They added more minigames to Return to Dream Land Deluxe. A nice little collection compiled from prior games. Although I wish they chosen to represent K64 with the fruit collecting game instead of the falling blocks one, the fruit one was a favorite growing up.

Also, I tried spamming Stone for several minutes to get the mega-rare HAL Block form to show up. I never did, the appearance rate has to be reallllllllly low.

But I did discover this.:

2023101917064900-s-1.jpg

Carby! That's a new one.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think I'm only like, halfway through the story update... but fooling around with the mech is so much fun, heh.

Not unrelatable. As I stated months ago, when I was playing Xenosaga Episode III, whenever I got to use the E.S., I couldn't help but smile.😄 That, despite E.S. combat being unfortunately less nuanced than on-foot fighting. I simply had fun and felt delightfully immersed. The mark of a mecha fan I suppose.😆

9 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The Hays Code really fucked with the perception of gay people in media...

The what?

...Oh, Jesus Christ. What movies were you even allowed to make? So many rules...

55 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The what?

...Oh, Jesus Christ. What movies were you even allowed to make? So many rules...

At first, there were no rules. But after a few scandals from some actors, the conservatives got really noisy, etc, etc, and the Hays Code was developed.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

whenever I got to use the E.S., I couldn't help but smile.😄 That, despite E.S. combat being unfortunately less nuanced than on-foot fighting.

I think the complexity comes from the strategy the player needs to come up with in order to succeed (mostly applies to later fights, i admit) but they still have depth just in a different manner.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not unrelatable. As I stated months ago, when I was playing Xenosaga Episode III, whenever I got to use the E.S., I couldn't help but smile.😄 That, despite E.S. combat being unfortunately less nuanced than on-foot fighting. I simply had fun and felt delightfully immersed. The mark of a mecha fan I suppose.😆

Something of a minor disappointment so far is that there's only giant monsters to fight. No mecha vs mecha action. Well, there was one battle against a giant mecha... that the characters did while on foot. But I've yet to see the entire story sequence, so maybe there could be at least a rematch against that mecha while using ours.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Mario Wonder World 1 has shown more creativity in like two levels than the entire history of 2D Mario combined.

I would really hope so, given the timeline difference between them.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Mario Wonder World 1 has shown more creativity in like two levels than the entire history of 2D Mario combined.

I'm not yet certain it beats the Mario Land games in this specific regard, but it seems like a breath of fresh air regardless.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The what?

Keep in mind it was invented in the early 1930s. Hollywood was new at the time, America was proud to have this hugely popular thing. Yet despite: fame, fortune, good looks, and the millennia-old association of actresses with harlots (the reason why traditional Japanese kabuki theatre became grown men actors-only, women and young boy kabuki actors became sex trafficked to the Shogunate's dislike) inevitably leading to sex and scandal, for the first few decades, Hollywood tried to be morally upstanding and clean. -And this period formed the first few decades of the "Golden Age of Hollywood".

The postwar 1940s and 1950s begin with that suburban, white, conservative, "be like everyone else", societal attitude. (In the related-but-different world of television, when the titular character of I Love Lucy became IRL pregnant (and they later added a baby to the show, having never shown nor talked about the pregnancy resulting in it), they made sure to hide the baby bump on the Ur-Sitcom. Despite there being nothing obscene about pregnancy -after all we basically all come from a pregnant woman-  but it they wouldn't allow it to be shown, maybe b/c pregnancy = having had sex.) But it doesn't last, things begin with gradual change in the mid-50s. And by the mid-late 60s, the American counterculture is unleashed and the whole edifice of policed morality in cinema and television crumbles.

32 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

and now i cri

😄

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, it has one? Fascinating...

https://noisypixel.net/lacrimosa-of-dana-novel-review-ys-viii/

How I learned of it.

Looks like it released only two days ago though. -I'd don't get how the review came out months ago then.

...Related.:

https://noisypixel.net/falcom-president-would-ys-novels-not-based-on-games/

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

https://noisypixel.net/lacrimosa-of-dana-novel-review-ys-viii/

How I learned of it.

Looks like it released only two days ago though. -I'd don't get how the review came out months ago then.

...Related.:

https://noisypixel.net/falcom-president-would-ys-novels-not-based-on-games/

Interesting.

So this is how they'll avoid making dozens of games?

Well, won't get the laptop back until Monday after work. Well, it's fine. I do periodically put up my writing works on my Google Drive, so I can continue writing uninterrupted. I guess Clannad will have to wait though, hahaha.

Someone hacked my card or something. Contacted the bank, everything's resolved now but i can't use my current card for obvious reasons. Gotta wait until the replacement arrives within 5-7 days. Sent some money to my other card from another bank but this was honestly the most inconvenient timing. This is like the week where most of the bills are due.

If anything, i'll just send some money to mom's account and have her pay it.

What do people gain from hacking the cards of broke-ass mfers anyway?

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

et despite: fame, fortune, good looks, and the millennia-old association of actresses with harlots (the reason why traditional Japanese kabuki theatre became grown men actors-only, women and young boy kabuki actors became sex trafficked to the Shogunate's dislike) inevitably leading to sex and scandal, for the first few decades,

Don't forget one of the biggest movie stars at the time was accused of murdering a fellow actress after a party:

"Arbuckle was the defendant in three widely publicized trials between November 1921 and April 1922 for the rape and manslaughter of actress Virginia Rappe. Rappe had fallen ill at a party hosted by Arbuckle at San Francisco's St. Francis Hotel in September 1921, and died four days later. A friend of Rappe accused Arbuckle of raping and accidentally killing her. The first two trials resulted in hung juries, but the third trial acquitted Arbuckle. The third jury took the unusual step of giving Arbuckle a written statement of apology for his treatment by the justice system."

Arbuckle is this guy btw

800px-Roscoe_Arbuckle.jpg

Yeah he did it alright.

He was considered funny before this but after, any film he starred in was banned.

I'm realizing what makes Mario Wonder's level design tick so well: there's no time-limit on the levels. This allows the devs to create scenarios that won't run counter to a time-limit. The levels themselves still aren't super long (though some have two checkpoints, a rarity) but no time limit means more ideas.

Decided to try my hand at baking again. A crustless pumpkin cheesecake, from a 1570 AD 1000-recipes cookbook written by a chef to cardinals and the Papacy. It was… good.😅 I was concerned it wouldn’t turn out well. Very soft, but the 20 milliliters/4 teaspoons of ginger and 30ml/2 tablespoons of cinnamon weren’t overpowering, thankfully. And surprisingly not very demanding in ingredients nor effort to make.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Don't forget one of the biggest movie stars at the time was accused of murdering a fellow actress after a party:

"Arbuckle was the defendant in three widely publicized trials between November 1921 and April 1922 for the rape and manslaughter of actress Virginia Rappe. Rappe had fallen ill at a party hosted by Arbuckle at San Francisco's St. Francis Hotel in September 1921, and died four days later. A friend of Rappe accused Arbuckle of raping and accidentally killing her. The first two trials resulted in hung juries, but the third trial acquitted Arbuckle. The third jury took the unusual step of giving Arbuckle a written statement of apology for his treatment by the justice system."

I might've heard of this once before, but I forgot.

What I do remember hearing is that an actress got a secret abortion shortly before her marriage, for the sake of avoiding a sex-before-marriage scandal. The clandestine procedure left her dangerously ill, though she luckily managed to recover.

Damn this is bleak. I mean it's better than the low bars of locking up or shooting the addicted. But the dystopian possibility of the state or uncaring legal-guardians-or-what-have-you ordering the pessimistic, easy way "out" of the addiction sounds worrisomely real here.

I'm realizing what makes Mario Wonder's level design tick so well: there's no time-limit on the levels. This allows the devs to create scenarios that won't run counter to a time-limit. The levels themselves still aren't super long (though some have two checkpoints, a rarity) but no time limit means more ideas.

TBF, what did time limits really do for old 2D Mario? I don't recall time being a big deal all that often (outside of Luigi Bros. which was built around strict time limits). I feel like the time limits prevented excessive lollygagging, but didn't make the levels a race against the clock whatsoever.

On 10/19/2023 at 7:41 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Being that you have 51 characters to use, I imagine part of the fun is figuring out wacky ways to defeat enemies. Caster Laura let's gooooooooo

DO IT

Spoiler

Laura_1.jpgLaura_2.jpg

This setup works really well even without upgraded quartz and equipment

On 10/19/2023 at 7:41 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Like how I'll probably never beat everyone in Pom Pom Party, for example.

I believe in you!

9 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

From the Ys 8 novelization...

and now i cri

W-was this a spoiler...?

I was going to play this game next...

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Keep in mind it was invented in the early 1930s. Hollywood was new at the time, America was proud to have this hugely popular thing. Yet despite: fame, fortune, good looks, and the millennia-old association of actresses with harlots (the reason why traditional Japanese kabuki theatre became grown men actors-only, women and young boy kabuki actors became sex trafficked to the Shogunate's dislike) inevitably leading to sex and scandal, for the first few decades, Hollywood tried to be morally upstanding and clean. -And this period formed the first few decades of the "Golden Age of Hollywood".

The postwar 1940s and 1950s begin with that suburban, white, conservative, "be like everyone else", societal attitude. (In the related-but-different world of television, when the titular character of I Love Lucy became IRL pregnant (and they later added a baby to the show, having never shown nor talked about the pregnancy resulting in it), they made sure to hide the baby bump on the Ur-Sitcom. Despite there being nothing obscene about pregnancy -after all we basically all come from a pregnant woman-  but it they wouldn't allow it to be shown, maybe b/c pregnancy = having had sex.) But it doesn't last, things begin with gradual change in the mid-50s. And by the mid-late 60s, the American counterculture is unleashed and the whole edifice of policed morality in cinema and television crumbles.

Huh...

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Someone hacked my card or something. Contacted the bank, everything's resolved now but i can't use my current card for obvious reasons. Gotta wait until the replacement arrives within 5-7 days. Sent some money to my other card from another bank but this was honestly the most inconvenient timing. This is like the week where most of the bills are due.

If anything, i'll just send some money to mom's account and have her pay it.

What do people gain from hacking the cards of broke-ass mfers anyway?

That fucking sucks. You have my sympathies.

He was considered funny before this but after, any film he starred in was banned.

Too much baggage, I suppose. You don't wanna be the guy that gave a role to the rapist murderer. Even if he was acquitted - but then, on the flipside, fame gives so much power and influence that I wouldn't be surprised if there were shenanigans there. I mean, Kevin Spacey was acquitted after every witness mysterious died. I just googled him to see what he's up to and he recently gave a speech on "cancel culture." Yeah, let's go with that.

To be fair, time limit had been a complete afterthought for a long time in this series. Only Luigi U actually used it for something, everywhere else it was just a remnant of a time long past. Same goes for lives. Here's hoping they shed those as well in the next game and do an actually interesting system. I liked what Shovel Knight did, where if you die you just lose money, but at the same time, you can break checkpoints for money. So you get to choose how much progress you'd like to risk losing on death.