• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Capt. Fargus said:

I’ve been wanting to do this, so I ordered a new toy after work tonight, an Asus Rog Strix laptop  

That should be beefy enough to run whatever games I’d like

It's time, Captain. You must join the ranks.

It's time for you to get Play Berwick Saga'd by me.

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From what I remember hearing, the original 3DS translation cut out the mid-stage dialogue, so no banter as you're shooting, jumping, and electrifying things. Why they cut it out, I do not know. But I suppose Armagon's assertion of laziness is well-informed.😀

The GV1 original localization by 8-4 needs to be studied because i don't know how they messed up that badly.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's time, Captain. You must join the ranks.

It's time for you to get Play Berwick Saga'd by me.

Yeah you’re right. I found out the hard way with my mac’s last update. My playonmac app wouldn’t work anymore 🤬

I’m suffering from Heroes of Might and Magic withdrawal Lol

Gunvolt is truly remarkable.

Zero 1 and ZX 1 were filled with baffling design decisions. But they at least benefitted from how good the core movement and combat was. That just controlling your character is fun, no matter how frustrating the systems surrounding the core gameplay are.
But I guess they just didn't realize what they had? I mean, they copied practically everything over from Zero. Sprite size, jump height, dash speed, dash distance. It should be a game that at least feels fantastic to play, no matter the surrounding mechanics and level design. And then they completely ruined it by making the framerate so low that it causes nausea.

And while Zero and ZX merged combat and platforming beautifully, Gunvolt makes causing damage this tedious multistep process. Which involves a screen filling barrier which also causes nausea, because it makes it so difficult to see anything. As if objects on the screen weren't already hard to track because of the low framerate.

I have to imagine that the reason they start you out with an item equipped that makes you invulnerable is because they knew that the game plays like shit. No need to track enemy projectiles when you can just damage boost through everything, after all.

It's actually kinda funny. Back then I didn't really understand framerate as a concept, let alone pay any attention to it. But as someone who spend countless hours into the Zero and ZX series, I could of course immediately tell that something was terrible off with Gunvolt. And since it was on the 3DS I could play it back to back with ZX and the Megaman Zero Collection to see just how bad it feels by comparison. It's one of the rare games that it's so bad that it expanded my understanding of video games.

Edited by BrightBow

Inti Creates is such a weird studio in general.

Besides Treasure, they made some of the best 2D action games ever. But their other big mark of fame is Gal Gun. And I don't think I've ever seen anyone praise the gamefeel of that series. It would most certainly be surprising. I mean it's a series where you molest big tiddy middle school girls by shooting at them. That kinda stuff doesn't tend to be known for it's outstanding gameplay.
But who knows. I mean, my favorite brawler happens to be a h-game. It's not impossible for those kind of games to actually play well. Not that Gunvolt fills me with confidence that Gal Gun happens to be such a rare gem.

Edited by BrightBow

How Spider-Man: Far From Home should've went

10 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That one also didn't do anything with its story that caught my interest even slightly. Oh, and the combat was completely and utterly mindless for all 10 hours I played.

...No criticism intended towards it though, it was just not my jam. Too lighthearted, too silly adventury, too coming of agey, too boy meets girly, and yes, too slow. For reference, Exit Fate stars a dude pushing his 30s who is decidedly more mature, experienced and collected than basically all JRPG protagonists, and spends a good chunk of its runtime being about old people concocting logical (enough) strategies to beat one another. And politics. 75 playable characters, too. It's a complete outlier and that's why I liked it.

Oh, I don't really mind if you go back to it or not. I just thought it was funny that Trails did something you liked (for once). Trails in the Sky starts pretty slow and sometimes even I wonder how I got through it (it was the promise of eventually seeing Rixia, probably), though I generally didn't mind the relaxed pace too much. Trails from Zero and Trails of Cold Steel open with in medias res segments to assure you that there will be a main conflict eventually.

Actually you should start with Trails through Daybreak, apparently some characters treat the protagonist like he's an old man (he's 24).

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I always forget Japan is ass-backwards

Stupid economy.

Hey, want to hear about a Japanese video game that was originally released on PC?

Estelle_Bright_-_Portrait_0502_(FC).png

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was thinking just that. Didn't they showcase a new Persona 5 game in a Microsoft direct? MicroDollars must be tempting -although the odd thing is Microsoft doesn't care that much about Xbox, since PCs run on their OS and GamePass covers it too.

I think Japanese developers only release games on Xbox if Microsoft pays them. Which is mostly just Persona, Yakuza, and a handful of Capcom games it looks like. Dragon Quest XI also got an Xbox port, which probably came with the territory of the definitive edition also getting a PS4 port.

Edited by Lightchao42

DIszsVw.jpg
2cDHNjh.jpg

one S away from Teehee

KOKK4VD.jpg

Thanks, Incelren, for ruining the "to be free" wish for me. Any time i hear it i get 'nam flashbacks

OvtPbr6.jpg

👓

fB2PSMm.jpg

Wew

nBCXBiS.jpgc3LHa62.jpg

NGL didn't expect Lumen to be the funny tease type lol

rKJnmW6.jpg

Mood

QGWEheR.jpg

Lol

Dialogue in this game is funny

z2r71Mg.jpg

IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR

qyMEXxn.jpg

FE confirmed?

First impressions: pretty fun

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Legend of the Sea Devils.....definitely not as bad as some said but tbh it's kinda weak. I mean, loved the pirate vibe but it just ended kinda anti-climatically idk. Was fun seeing the Sea Devils brought back at least.

The Power of the Doctor......great. Jodie era was rough as a whole but this was a fantastic send off.

And now, in just a few days.....it begins

Doctor-Who-2023-Specials-Release-Dates-A

Oh, right, the Autumn Sale.

... eh, I'm already set on Xeno, so I might pass on this one.

Or just get Yggdra Union... maybe...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

gsdx-20231121215737.png

Nice crown.👑😀

Got back to Fall of Alchemy, had to resort to save states to A-rank one of the two final assignments.😑 The last ones differ between Raze and Ulrika, unsurprisingly his are both combat-related and her's alchemical. Did the last battle jobs afterwards.

And then came the final non-ending bonding events. Puniyo's was totally the best. A life-or-death Puni Rite of Passage was serious yet funny in a way that struck me good.🤣 They even busted out the battle rendition of the game's main theme for it, unlike the events of anyone else. Now if only Raze wasn't such a sourpuss.😛

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

z2r71Mg.jpg

IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR

Wormhole laser. Now that reminds me of something.😄

10 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Oh, I don't really mind if you go back to it or not. I just thought it was funny that Trails did something you liked (for once). Trails in the Sky starts pretty slow and sometimes even I wonder how I got through it (it was the promise of eventually seeing Rixia, probably), though I generally didn't mind the relaxed pace too much. Trails from Zero and Trails of Cold Steel open with in medias res segments to assure you that there will be a main conflict eventually.

It's weird, because I've played other games that are slow and didn't mind it as much there. I think it's more Trails's super lightheartedness and (at least initial) focus on the budding relationship between Hyperactive Girl and the ~Ooo so mysterious ooo~ Edgelord that didn't do it for me. Well that and while it's true that I've played other slow games, none of them so snail-paced that the entire fucking first game is the prologue lol

Actually you should start with Trails through Daybreak, apparently some characters treat the protagonist like he's an old man (he's 24).

Wow. Making some serious strides there, Japan. Let me guess, he looks like Vandad. Also still not as epic as Exit Fate having a 30 year old fart for a protagonist

Hey, want to hear about a Japanese video game that was originally released on PC?

Estelle_Bright_-_Portrait_0502_(FC).png

Wahaha, Lightchao. Wahaha.

I was never able to make a run for the ladder in the Darkroot Basin without getting shot down by the hydra before. But it seems that it is possible if you lure the hydra over to the alcove with the large golem and then run for it.
Was fun and all, but the obvious flaw with that is that there is no cover from the water blasts inside the alcove. If you are bulky enough to survive enough of those blasts to get past it, I would imagine you are already at a point where killing the hydra is rather trivial.

Speaking of hydras, on my last run the Ash Lake hydra accidentally killed itself somehow. Not sure what happened there. I was on the way back from the Eternal Dragon to the Great Hollow, so the Hydra made it's big leap backwards. But somehow it died from that? I guess it landed somewhere where it's not allowed to exist. Or maybe it was a side effect of getting too far away from it while it's still in the air.
Actually a bit of a shame because I wanted to abuse that jump attack to kill the clamps to farm some titanite. Since I didn't really have the attack power to do it myself yet.

Edited by BrightBow