• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I do like Salyna's parents. Characters in these games act so much like people, and that is most certainly quite obvious when it comes to sex. Needless to say religious dogma has historically been rather poor at preventing people from fucking.

For all it's crotch window shenanigans, modern Fire Emblem is insanely prude. Everyone nicely proposes during their S support and no one has sex before marriage. And of course no one ever divorces. Not to mention stuff like mr bad touch himself Corrin going "Please treasure yourself more" on Solei. Because consent is just a big turn-off for him, I suppose.
It's this "I want to fuck without consequence but I also want girls to be pure, innocent and committed to me and only me" stuff. And I just find that really icky.

Edited by BrightBow

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I do like Salyna's parents. Characters in these games act so much like people, and that is most certainly quite obvious when it comes to sex. Needless to say religious dogma has historically been rather poor at preventing people from fucking.

Yeah, one of Kaga's writing strengths is how he manages to bring minor characters and even generics to life. I mean, just look at Vaughes. Dude's a generic black knight and he manages to be so endearing, leagues more than the guy with an actual face and family relations who replaces him if you murder him.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

For all it's crotch window shenanigans, modern Fire Emblem is insanely prude. Everyone nicely proposes during their S support and no one has sex before marriage. And of course no one ever divorces. Not to mention stuff like mr bad touch himself Corrin going "Please treasure yourself more" on Solei. Because consent is just a big turn-off for him, I suppose.
It's this "I want to fuck without consequence but I also want girls to be pure, innocent and committed to me and only me" stuff. And I just find that really icky.

I'll say, divorce is all too rare in these games. There's an interest dynamic for a couple of older characters.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll say, divorce is all too rare in these games. There's an interest dynamic for a couple of older characters.

True. We got Deidre's mother or Queen Liza for characters who had multiple partners. (Also Deidre herself, but mind control, so it doesn't count)
There is also Roleck, a widower who got remarried.

I doubt any of that stuff would fly in modern Fire Emblem, especially for characters who are still portrayed as sympathetic and deserving of happiness. It's most certainly miles better than tons of other otaku stuff. But maturely handled divorces are not a thing.

Although the settings don't support that sort of thing. They are very much in line with the usual kinds of feudal European stigmas.
But as the case with Börte shows, it doesn't seem to be an excuse for prudishness as much as it's meant to show humanity by contrasting societal expectations with the way people live in practice and the struggles that come with it.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

VS2 is immediately more based than VS1 because you can see the assassins. The game impresses this upon you by having assassins on chapter 1.

...Seriously, what a stupid mechanic that was...

We got Berwick Saga Hide at home.

Sadly invisible assassins will come back later. But in a much more controlled environment. The game isn't being an asshole about it.

Edited by BrightBow

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Garon marrying his 37th concubine: "Divorce is like a seed..."

19 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

True. We got Deidre's mother or Queen Liza for characters who had multiple partners. (Also Deidre herself, but mind control, so it doesn't count)
There is also Roleck, a widower who got remarried.

I doubt any of that stuff would fly in modern Fire Emblem, especially for characters who are still portrayed as sympathetic and deserving of happiness. It's most certainly miles better than tons of other otaku stuff. But maturely handled divorces are not a thing.

Although the settings don't support that sort of thing. They are very much in line with the usual kinds of feudal European stigmas.
But as the case with Börte shows, it doesn't seem to be an excuse for prudishness as much as it's meant to show humanity by contrasting societal expectations with the way people live in practice and the struggles that come with it.

I'm pretty sure VS2 establishes at one point that adultery is punished with death. Female adultery, naturally, men can do whatever the heck they want. Of course, it follows that divorce is not a thing. Sadly accurate to the times of yore, and not so yore depending on the place.

19 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

We got Berwick Saga Hide at home.

Sadly invisible assassins will come back later. But in a much more controlled environment. The game isn't being an asshole about it.

Yeah I seem to recall them still being a thing but they've also got to be much more rare because I can barely remember them being a thing in this game.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Garon marrying his 37th concubine: "Divorce is like a seed..."

Garon out there compensating for everyone else's lack of divorce by having all the divorces.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Garon out there compensating for everyone else's lack of divorce by having all the divorces.

Well, the joke was more that he doesn't divorce and remarry, he simply builds up a harem pretty much.

There are monsters with insta-kill in RF5.😑 I was pretty sure of that while trying to tame a mermaid monster long ago, but now there's not-so-standout monsters in a later dungeon that can freely do that. I can't game over, but losing 39k when I wake up in the clinic because a dark orc clubbed me once is 🤨. Thankfully the auto-save triggers when you enter a dungeon, and doesn't happen when you wake after after a KO.

17 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

At this point it's clear 2022-2023 didn't saw a mainline game in either due to post-Pandemic recovery, and also Terada stepping down (DD trucking on is a much simpler affair in comparison). By this point I think things should be already back on track, I hope.

I saw some comment yesterday claiming that the pandemic knocked Japanese companies off track by like 12-18 months. For something that was so tightly-wound, like SRW's output, I can see the impact leaning on the heavier side.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'll say, the release gap between RF3S in Japan and over here was closer too. But that is a game that already exists.

I think 3S had some measure of retranslation? I'm not actually sure of that. -Although it still be less than starting from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm pretty sure VS2 establishes at one point that adultery is punished with death. Female adultery, naturally, men can do whatever the heck they want. Of course, it follows that divorce is not a thing. Sadly accurate to the times of yore, and not so yore depending on the place.

In the ending of VS1 Aslanne lectures Athol about the fact that if she wasn't a princess, she would get in trouble for the stunt she pulled on Zade as an eloped woman.
But Aslanne makes it quite clear that this is no moral judgment of the act itself, but that's it about Athol being either clueless or indifferent about the consequences of her actions.
We also see different perspectives on it. Emma for example sees nothing wrong with it. Rubina expresses her support for Zade x Athol. Aslanne even feels regretful of it by the time of VS2, fearing her being so harsh on Athol might have contributed to shit hitting the fan as hard as it did.
It's another nice example of laws being one thing, while people are another.

I think adultery also factors into that whole mess in Spire. Though I don't remember the specifics.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I saw some comment yesterday claiming that the pandemic knocked Japanese companies off track by like 12-18 months. For something that was so tightly-wound, like SRW's output, I can see the impact leaning on the heavier side.

I just remembered, there was indeed an interview about it.

Apparently that was the reason there's no PC port of SRW T. Got cancelled due to the Pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I just remembered, there was indeed an interview about it.

Apparently that was the reason there's no PC port of SRW T. Got cancelled due to the Pandemic.

Thank you!😃

And yeah, it's kinda inevitable that 3rd OG will be the last, at least as far as this incarnation of an OGverse goes (another using Z as the central pillar narrative might be possible?). It has gone on long enough, with five-ish (counting 2nd & DP as one, putting EF aside) entries so far. Not to mention the series chose to put Alpha at the core, and I'm told MD finished laying the groundwork for 3rd Alpha. It'll be sad when OG ends nonetheless -even if I haven't played most of it.😆

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thank you!😃

And yeah, it's kinda inevitable that 3rd OG will be the last, at least as far as this incarnation of an OGverse goes (another using Z as the central pillar narrative might be possible?). It has gone on long enough, with five-ish (counting 2nd & DP as one, putting EF aside) entries so far. Not to mention the series chose to put Alpha at the core, and I'm told MD finished laying the groundwork for 3rd Alpha. It'll be sad when OG ends nonetheless -even if I haven't played most of it.😆

A second OG series with Z as the base would be interesting to see. This is also how we're going to get most of the other games' OG content to have their turn, since by this point it's harder and harder to adapt the rest into the series. More so if there's only one more game. Would be like Gundam SEED in Alpha 3 syndrome all over again, but you can bet they might still add one or two more for it at the end of it.

33 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A second OG series with Z as the base would be interesting to see. This is also how we're going to get most of the other games' OG content to have their turn, since by this point it's harder and harder to adapt the rest into the series. More so if there's only one more game. Would be like Gundam SEED in Alpha 3 syndrome all over again, but you can bet they might still add one or two more for it at the end of it.

I think I heard about that once. Issues suddenly integrating Coordinators into a Newtypical universe? Possible equation of the (unexplained-in-J) SEED Factor with old-fashioned psychic powers? Maybe if it had happened in Alpha 1 it wouldn't have been a problem -but then *checks dates* SEED didn't exist back then.

While I know W follows J chronologically, I feel like they should save that for a potential ZOG reboot instead of going into 3rd. The Valstork could fulfill the important role of a battleship (and Neo would coincidentally show up too for a second ship). Between plot stuff for SRX Team, the four Alpha 3 protags (perhaps with DGG4 in Touma's storyline), and more OG-exclusive stuff (I've heard another showdown with Dark Brain might happen?), I don't think 3rd OG needs to slip in W.

Maybe invent something to give K&E last minute relevance too? OG began as Alpha + Classic + Impact. Give the old Alt & Weiss a really good tuneup to compete with the superb Banpreios and their fellow ATX members' Shin-UpGraDe, for old times' sake. Annnnnd please bring back the Lightning and Eternal so Raul & Fiona are at full power. And if we're going out with a bang, I wanna see the Folks and the other Shura returned. And bring over the other playable EF Originals.

And back to the matter of a hypothetical ZOG, I don't think we'd be abandoning everyone from the pre-W(?) games. Actually getting Cybuster vs. Granzon ended with the intervention of Shurouga as was the ancient plan would be awesome.🤩 I overheard Rand's route in Z1 has a friendlier(?) Asakim, so maybe that goes there. Meanwhile, Banpresto chooses to show us stoic rage unparalleled by flat-out murdering Excellen and having the unbound Kyosuke (Alt gets a black paint job as dark as his soul) show up alongside Setsuko, whose story I vaguely know involves some suffering.😝  -All I'm suggesting is that if Banpresto bring the familiar oldies back in this hypothetical reboot, go radically crazy-good different. -And ditch Irm and Ring in favor of giving us modern interpretations of the other six 4/F protagonists.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Okay, resuming Xeno 2.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I heard about that once. Issues suddenly integrating Coordinators into a Newtypical universe? Possible equation of the (unexplained-in-J) SEED Factor with old-fashioned psychic powers? Maybe if it had happened in Alpha 1 it wouldn't have been a problem -but then *checks dates* SEED didn't exist back then.

More or less that. Suddenly having to act as if the SEED stuff had always been there, but conveniently never got involved despite everything that had happened so far.

While I know W follows J chronologically, I feel like they should save that for a potential ZOG reboot instead of going into 3rd. The Valstork could fulfill the important role of a battleship (and Neo would coincidentally show up too for a second ship). Between plot stuff for SRX Team, the four Alpha 3 protags (perhaps with DGG4 in Touma's storyline), and more OG-exclusive stuff (I've heard another showdown with Dark Brain might happen?), I don't think 3rd OG needs to slip in W.

Yeah, W would be better saved for a second OG series.

Maybe invent something to give K&E last minute relevance too? OG began as Alpha + Classic + Impact. Give the old Alt & Weiss a really good tuneup to compete with the superb Banpreios and their fellow ATX members' Shin-UpGraDe, for old times' sake. Annnnnd please bring back the Lightning and Eternal so Raul & Fiona are at full power. And if we're going out with a bang, I wanna see the Folks and the other Shura returned. And bring over the other playable EF Originals.

Yeah, OGverse is certainly already full as it is.

And back to the matter of a hypothetical ZOG, I don't think we'd be abandoning everyone from the pre-W(?) games. Actually getting Cybuster vs. Granzon ended with the intervention of Shurouga as was the ancient plan would be awesome.🤩 I overheard Rand's route in Z1 has a friendlier(?) Asakim, so maybe that goes there. Meanwhile, Banpresto chooses to show us stoic rage unparalleled by flat-out murdering Excellen and having the unbound Kyosuke (Alt gets a black paint job as dark as his soul) show up alongside Setsuko, whose story I vaguely know involves some suffering.😝  -All I'm suggesting is that if Banpresto bring the familiar oldies back in this hypothetical reboot, go radically crazy-good different. -And ditch Irm and Ring in favor of giving us modern interpretations of the other six 4/F protagonists.

Friendlier(?) is certainly a term, heh. I remember Asakim is indeed a final-map joiner in Rand's Route like Ingram in Alpha and Al-Van in J.

The rest of PTX would certainly be an option of still having old representation but with "new" characters.

You can bet they could still put Masaki in there. Thanks to canonically being able to cross worlds/timelines when lost. They already did that for VTX and 30, after all. Never a bad excuse for resident fanboy Hikaru Midorikawa to still have work.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

6 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Do you truly 100% know what you were getting unless you watch a full playthrough? In which case, it would a bit wasteful anyways, since most the fun comes from not knowing.

Do you know 100% what you are getting into for any type of purchase? Any?

The point is you can make better informed purchases with something that is tangible, which gacha isn't.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's another part of why I find the whole extended prologue cutscene vastly superior to the end cards FE gets. It's a great opportunity for those mourning scenes everyone's always clamoring for.

Three Houses and Engage have at least put those moments in between chapters themselves.

..Instead, Kaga made her whip the poor kid on a regular basis, then let him frame himself for her terrible ideas and nearly die for it. She can stay next to his bed till cows go moo for all I care, she's just diabolical.

And they're still gonna end up together when this is all said and done. Poor kid has Stockholm Syndrome.

And you can't even preserve them through piracy, like say, Awakening's DLCs, because the game systems depend on the server and aren't designed with longevity in mind.

Well, you can, if you have really dedicated fans in mind. I think the fan servers for Dragalia Lost are up and running now. But not every gacha gets that treatment.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll say, divorce is all too rare in these games.

Because divorce isn't ideal. Real romance is rarely like fictional romance, the latter usually tries to streamline the process. That doesn't mean it's not engaging of course but real life romance is not like how it plays out in movies, games, books etc.

Not to mention, in Fire Emblem, it's medieval world. Sure, divorces were a thing but like, don't like your wife? Just fuck off somewhere else lmao. Who's gonna track you down. Adulatory? Can't prove it *cough* Holmes' dad fucking half the continent *cough*.

I recall reading about a group somewhere dedicated to preserve those kind of mobile games and the like, even creating custom servers if needed. However, they're not available to the general public since they can only do what they do if it's for preservation purposes, and nothing more.

VanillaEmblem2.png?ex=6590dd0a&is=657e68

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I recall reading about a group somewhere dedicated to preserve those kind of mobile games and the like, even creating custom servers if needed. However, they're not available to the general public since they can only do what they do if it's for preservation purposes, and nothing more.

Yeah, the game needs to be like really fondly remembered if the servers are to open up to the public.

I think Dragalia got lucky by actually finishing it's story. Most gachas don't get to live that long. Or they just never end. Is FEH's plot even building towards something anymore?

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, the game needs to be like really fondly remembered if the servers are to open up to the public.

I think Dragalia got lucky by actually finishing it's story. Most gachas don't get to live that long. Or they just never end. Is FEH's plot even building towards something anymore?

Ragnarok, most likely. Why climb Yggdrasil if not to reach Asgard and confront the Alfather. The question is... will there be more after Ragnarok? Or they might still delay it to prolong the game.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ragnarok, most likely. Why climb Yggdrasil if not to reach Asgard and confront the Alfather. The question is... will there be more after Ragnarok? Or they might still delay it to prolong the game.

See, that's Book 8. But if we look at the others, Book 6 is a sequel to Book 1 but that's about it. Books 2 through 5 and 7 might as well be their own stories. I know Loki's up to her mischief and we'll see how Book 8 goes but considering each Book gets their own continuation in the Tempest Trials (that are timed events), it just feels like IntSys at this point is "alright what aspect of Norse mythology shall we take from this time".

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The point is you can make better informed purchases with something that is tangible, which gacha isn't.

What do you define as tangible? Little clips the devs show which hardly encapsulate anything about the game? I think not.