• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Merry Xmas for everyone!🎄 For those for whom it already is, and us still on the Eve. Admittedly I feel like I wasted the magical holiday season.

I posted this like a year ago, but eh, why not post it again? Not like I have much else from vidya games for the occasion.😅

I'll also post a link to the Christmas playlist of food history videos that I watch.🤓 Which doesn't yet include the newly-added fruitcake video.

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

As a side note, you say built by the Chimu "culture" which got me thinking about how commonly we generalize a thing that a governing force did as something that the entire culture or people did. Historians will say things like "The Romans did this, the Russians did that, the Americans won this war, the Chinese traded with the Persians" And so on. Obviously we do that for simplistic sake so we don't have to over complicate the explanation every time by specifying "The X country government" every single time. But still it's curious and sort of bleeds into folks being racist towards a group of people for actions that the government did, China being a great example funnily enough.

Native Empires especially tend to get bogged down by European histories misrepresenting their centralized state as a "culture" because many non-natives implicitly assume that indigenous people never had fully centralized or complicated political structures of government, so whenever they did something cool it's often described as something the "culture" just decided to do spontaneously.

Not to accuse you of anything of course, especially if this wall in particular was built by collectivized volunteers of the local community who lived there rather than a state of officials and hired laborers. I definitely don't know as much about the Pre-Columbian history of South America as I should.

In this case, it seems like "culture" doesn't imply decentralization here. Though "Chimor" seems like the proper term for the kingdom, with palatial building and artsy culture enough that the Incan Empire adopted bits of it, maybe that means it was centralized?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Remember.png?ex=659b5191&is=6588dc91&hm=

I'll never forget Intsys hyping up Gunnthra's arrival for months only to immediately kill her off. It's like the bit from Spy Kids 3.

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

peggies.png?ex=659ad6c0&is=658861c0&hm=f

PoV: Tanith uses Reinforcements Command

e0c62c9e2c881cc351a10ee39c70892cb265d5c2

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

"And thus, boy met girl"

So simple-sounding... yet so profound...

Okay, the home-stretch, let's do this!

The final chapter is so peak.

8 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Huh, I wonder where I would find that.

Hint:

latest.png?ex=659b5c62&is=6588e762&hm=e6

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Merry Xmas for everyone!🎄 For those for whom it already is, and us still on the Eve. Admittedly I feel like I wasted the magical holiday season.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

"Suddenly, he stopped talking. Around them, Dharga felt an odd presence. He turned towards the entrance to find it completely enveloped in darkness. Before them stood a large figure. He was dressed in black and wore an odd mask, obscuring everything but his eyes and their unnerving glow. Maintaining his composure, Dharga looked back to the man he had been speaking with. He stared back eyes wide, his head swinging wildly back and forth.

“D-do something! Please! I’m not-”

Suddenly, Dharga’s arms released the man. At first, he thought it was from the man’s violent shaking, attempting to flee the scene, but that wasn’t the case. Dharga was the one shaking.

“Too much to drink again… dumb-ass...” Dharga muttered. His face hardened once again as he turned to face the dark figure. “So he’s the one you’re scared of.”

As those words escaped his mouth and he stood face to face with the man in black, Dharga strained to stay standing, as an urge came over him to simply collapse. The figure spoke.

“You. Don’t complicate things for me. Hand that man over, and I shall leave you be.”

Dharga, in an effort to overcome the immense aura of fear, forced a smile to his face. “To be honest, I hate stuck-up assholes like that Haven guy more than anything. Somehow, you’ve even managed to beat him at that.”

-Not sure if the last hour of Christmas Eve is the correct time to start (and not finish) reading the Xenogears light novel that was recently translated.😆 But damn, Grahf got presence.😎

Oh lol. We're watching old saved replays, and there's one where the match ends because... I forgot who, but between my brother and cousin one was using Ike, and the other got the Black Knight from an Assist Trophy. Then the Ike player tries to use their Final Smash on the BK, naturally fails, then the BK sends Ike knocking out of the stage and ends the match. lol

Happy holidays, y'all.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

PoV: Tanith uses Reinforcements Command

It's a fun idea, but it really needed to be in a different game. In PoR all it does is make the game even more mindless and slow. I'd say it'd need to be better balanced, too, but I mean, Sacred Stones's 1 HP phantoms were already quite powerful. I don't know if there's really a way to balance spawning a bunch of disposable peggies onto the map with no downside.

Actually read the entire XG light novel last night. It was only about 90 pages. -According to XS Wiki, it isn't canon? Not sure why it couldn't be, the Wiki says "timeline conflict", but I'm not sure if that'd have to be the case.

Spoiler

It'd just need to happen shortly before Grahf fights Khan. The suggestion that Grahf was forced to swap for the nearest body he could find after being injured could actually provide an explanation for how Khan could """"win""" against Grahf. Or at least find Id alone and suppress him, by having Grahf return just a little late from a little search.

Lore-wise, Grahf got tricks I don't recall in XG, but they're not inconceivable for him to have them nor do they create issues.

...And on the matter of Old Xeno talk, coincidentally...

Gatcha intra-company crossover costumes for the most part?

I've always wondered why people are so quick to say "English dub of something is trash compared to JP." What makes JP better? Many viewers cant even understand most of  it and claim it's better... but why?

Edited by Lightcosmo

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

I've always wondered why people are so quick to say "English dub of something is trash compared to JP." What makes JP better? Many viewers cant even understand most of  it and claim it's better... but why?

To me it just sounds much better and are able to bring the feelings across better. It's not just English dubs, i hate dubs in general that aren't in their original language, Ie German dubs of murican movies for example. Trash.

Thankfully, when it comes to games, English dubs are generally pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

To me it just sounds much better and are able to bring the feelings across better. It's not just English dubs, i hate dubs in general that aren't in their original language, Ie German dubs of murican movies for example. Trash.

Thankfully, when it comes to games, English dubs are generally pretty good.

I understand what you mean, I can agree in some cases. 

See, this is how i feel, and yet so many seem to think "JP VA's are better!" I dunno, maybe i just prefer being able to understand what the hell is going on. Although for Reverie i wished i hadn't heard the EN version lmao. It's so bad sounding.

Just swapping between Saber and Gunner mode for Crow and hearing "changin' into (voice breaks off here to start the next line) you ain't goin' nowhere!" for Gunner mode

and "changin' into (again voice abruptly breaks to start next line since it's not all one line) I'll cut you through!" Holy hell does it sound bad. XD

maybe i just prefer being able to understand what the hell is going on.

yeah, but without my ears bleeding or cringing please XD

2 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Although for Reverie i wished i hadn't heard the EN version lmao. It's so bad sounding.

huh

Cold Steel generally had a good english dub. Infact, the only good aspect if Blanco is his voice actor. Wth happened in CS5 dub?

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

huh

Cold Steel generally had a good english dub. Infact, the only good aspect if Blanco is his voice actor. Wth happened in CS5 dub?

I loved his work for I-IV but here (only for battle lines, otherwise he sounds good) he just sounds... drained. Like idk if you remember but when you got a link strike the character yelled a line like Rean for example in I was "now's our chance!" or "go!' and he exclaimed it with excitement? Reverie's he's literally saying the line "it's down" with zero feeling at all. 

I loved his work for I-IV but here (only for battle lines, otherwise he sounds good) he just sounds... drained. Like idk if you remember but when you got a link strike the character yelled a line like Rean for example in I was "now's our chance!" or "go!' and he exclaimed it with excitement? Reverie's he's literally saying the line "it's down" with zero feeling at all. 

Even the VA is done with CS

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Even the VA is done with CS

I would have to guess the directing for the game was just... bad? Don't get me wrong, some still sound great to me. And the newer chars VA's sounded good, the only one i would prefer in JP is Nadia. Damn she sound so fricken CUTE in JP! XD