Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

29 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

tbf

she works for a megacorpo, so...

Yeah and Batman is the megacropo. Although, not the best comparison, because Wayne Industries is like the truest ethically good ultracorpo and Sumeragi is Sumeragi. It is still acknowledged that they are shady and it's their fault all of this is happening. I guess a more apt example is Stark Industries. Tony Stark in the comics is a hero but as a person it depends.

But the stated premise for the game back when it was announced was that Gunvolt would be trying to change the organization from within. Which generally fits in line with the games events.

(Also Kirin's working with Sumeragi, she works for Shadow Yakumo, the babysitter).

still don't like how they are getting whitewashed

You should see them in Luminous Avenger. Sumeragi is at the exact opposite spectrum in that game, actively committing genocide.

Like Lumera, he will live

He will live longer than he does but he still bites it.

I am being driven... batty.🦇

Why do you get to kill me in less than one second but even with the Timer Ring you aren't vulnerable long enough for me to shank you???😭

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Certain GV characters are supposed to represent Asian directional gods

• Gunvolt: Seriyu, the Azure Dragon of the East
  • Copen: Byakko, White Tiger of the West
  • Kirin: Kirin/Koryu, Yellow Dragon of the Center
  • Xiao: Genbu, the Black Tortoise of the North
  • Zed: Suzaku, Vermillion Bird of the South

Thanks for the info.😀

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

or better yet "the creator isn't even real". Incredible. 

I feel like sooner than later, everyone will be able to rudely dismiss people like they don't like as a bot.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I am being driven... batty.🦇

The boss that almost made me ragequit Ys 😛

As i said, you also fought him in Ys 9

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Shadow Yakumo

which is also a megacorpo?

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

feel like sooner than later, everyone will be able to rudely dismiss people like they don't like as a bot.

So i am a bot?

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The boss that almost made me ragequit Ys 😛

I just made several additional attempts. Not once could I scratch it, nothing.  

Heck, I even got killed on the first bat swarm multiple times.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

So i am a bot?

No, not at all, my dear Internet friend.🙂

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I just made several additional attempts. Not once could I scratch it, nothing.  

Heck, I even got killed on the first bat swarm multiple times.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/4qd3mn/ys_1_spoiler_well_i_never_tought_i_will_do_this/

I was there a few years ago XD

A few more deaths later, I landed one hit on it. For like 3% of its health? And I had already lost ~80% of my health. On Normal. Totally doable.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Thank you for showing me this time capsule into the personal suffering of your ysouth.😄

The difference between us, I've a history of dropping difficult action games.

This game being as short as it is, I'll restart on Easy tomorrow and see if that provides the help I need. Maybe, maybe not *cough* Dread final boss *cough*.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

which is also a megacorpo?

Uhhhhhhh i don't think so. They have shell companies but that's just for keeping the secret. Shadow Yakumo is more about researching and maintaining the supernatrual stuff. Their HQ is really just a village

latest.png?ex=65a89c87&is=65962787&hm=f4

they have the same origin as Sumeragi but their goals differ. Supplementary material reveals further that while Shadow Yakumo made the Glaives, they were not at all happy with how Sumeragi used them to control Adepts in GV1.....but Sumeragi got too powerful to oppose directly, especially with people like Nova at the helm (and Kirin wasn't born yet so she couldn't stop him).

By the time of GV3, as you've noticed, Sumeragi is different. In BB's stage for instance, they led an evacuation while Kirin did her thing.....well they tried to anyways before they got possessed. But it's why i think the reading of Kirin as a corpo bootlicker is in bad faith because it's made pretty clear that it's not the same Sumeragi from the first game or even the one from iX. Makes sense too after Teseo leaked everything in GV2, i can buy that the organization had to do a complete restructuring of everything.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thank you for showing me this time capsule into the personal suffering of your ysouth.

You talking as if i was a GrandpaShrimp or something :p

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*cough* Dread final boss *cough*.

Oh yeah

THAT

Wew

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

i can buy that the organization had to do a complete restructuring of everything.

Should've been disbanded tbh

I don't have quite an opinion on Kirin yet, infact i do quite like her, being a Battle Miko and all

I did hear about a certain infamous line tho

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You talking as if i was a GrandpaShrimp or something 😛

All I meant was before you were a full Ys veteran. Nothing more, Shrimpy-san.😄

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh yeah

THAT

Wew

I simply couldn't make it past the first phase, for as long as I could hold out, I couldn't time a single counter properly.

Like the rest of the game? I made it through just fine on Rookie, but the final boss suddenly crossed a line.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Opera_Snapshot_2024-01-03_230024_twitter

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Should've been disbanded tbh

Wouldn't surprise me if they did and just kept the name tbh. I mean, they still do shady stuff but i don't think it outright goes into evil territory again.

Honestly, my critique would be that the game doesn't dive into the points enough. I think if it was more in-depth, i wouldn't be seeing "Kirin bootlicker" takes.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nothing more, Shrimpy-san.😄

No need to be so formal, IO-tan!

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Common Engage W

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

my critique would be that the game doesn't dive into the points enough.

Could be yeah

Playing for the same team you fought in the other games without a good enough explanation is not gonna fly well with alot of people. To me, the whole "Gunvolt suddenly rampaged" thing especially made me go "???"

And it sounds like it happened quite soon after GV2, whicg makes it even more weird

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And it sounds like it happened quite soon after GV2, whicg makes it even more weird

Azure Strikers are canonically like uber powerful so i get the idea that it could happen but it def needed some more time. Maybe we'll get a Drama CD of it one day. 

The Drama CDs are where a ton of worldbuilding and lore happens, idk if i mentioned it before. It usually focuses on the bosses, allowing you to get further characterization on them, but some focus on supporting characters.

> Has read Phoenix Downs are a rarity to come by.

> Initial fight with Goblins drops one.

Either I got lucky, or this is scripted...

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Azure Strikers are canonically like uber powerful so i get the idea that it could happen but it def needed some more time. Maybe we'll get a Drama CD of it one day. 

Sounds like the Zero Apocalypse or whatever it is that fans insisted happened between the end of MMX and MMZ1.

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, as I've also said before the New Year...

Gonna start a Final Fantasy III playthrough. The PC 3D version.

I had the DS version of FFIII. Even played through it twice I think.

While a nice update, it's still very much a dated FF. Rough, sometimes tough, and the thin characters/plot even with the DS tweaks.

I never actually finished the game though, the infamous Crystal Tower-World of Darkness saveless final stretch. I once made it to the final boss, still got slaughtered by Particle Beam after doing the mandatory weakening process.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I had the DS version of FFIII. Even played through it twice I think.

While a nice update, it's still very much a dated FF. Rough, sometimes tough, and the thin characters/plot even with the DS tweaks.

I never actually finished the game though, the infamous Crystal Tower-World of Darkness saveless final stretch. I once made it to the final boss, still got slaughtered by Particle Beam after doing the mandatory weakening process.

Yeah, I actually played this a while back. Reached the Water Cave but didn't went further. I'm starting a new playthrough, as it were.

You know what's a big shame? This version has quite a few of scrapped text, that would've given the characters a bit more of characterization. Like, did you know Ingus was meant to be from Falgabard (the Dark Knight town)? The cut text all but outright states it. It also teases some different takes to the story. The Castle Hein segment, for example, was quite different from how it was in the finished game.

Oh, I heard enough of the infamous final stretch of the game. To the point the Pixel Remaster put quite a few QoL changes to make it more tolerable.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know what's a big shame? This version has quite a few of scrapped text, that would've given the characters a bit more of characterization. Like, did you know Ingus was meant to be from Falgabard (the Dark Knight town)? The cut text all but outright states it. It also teases some different takes to the story. The Castle Hein segment, for example, was quite different from how it was in the finished game.

I've never heard of this. A bit of a shame then, could've retrospectively put the game a bit more on par with other four warriors of light-styled stories (FFV beforehand, Bravely long after). Actually, the Ingus tidbit is now reminding me of something.

And could we ever get a prequel where the Heroes of Darkness defeat that evil all-consuming light, IIRC?

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've never heard of this. A bit of a shame then, could've retrospectively put the game a bit more on par with other four warriors of light-styled stories (FFV beforehand, Bravely long after). Actually, the Ingus tidbit is now reminding me of something.

And could we ever get a prequel where the Heroes of Darkness defeat that evil all-consuming light, IIRC?

Yeah, there's quite a few stuff to look up. You can see a summary at The Cutting Room Floor. Not all the text is translated, so you'll have to put it on a translator, or read the summaries in TCRF, I guess.

I think the novelization has them actually helping the Heroes of Light all the way through instead of dying, for its worth.

Okay, played until I had the full party. Will stop here for tonight and resume next time.

I'd say, I would like to know just what makes an attack do 0 or 1 damage. Seems either can be the minimum, and there's no rhyme or reason for which one will it be.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

11 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

hah!

Honestly my first thought when i saw this was

"Why are we letting them do this?"

I wish I knew. We really oughta stop though.

11 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Why exactly is that nonsense? 

No, I don't mean I disagree! Sorry if it sounded that way. I meant it's nonsense as in, it's a dumb choice on the game designers' part.

10 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose I wouldn't look very comfortable either if I descend onto a raging battlefield wearing nothing but some drapes I pulled for some nearby window in a hurry. Or is it a tablecloth? Idk.

Jokes aside, I would imagine they were going for some "God descends in the final hour" thing, like it was described in the backstory for both FE4 and Tear Ring Saga. While at the same time being this moment of awakening for Athol.

Personally I would have preferred her being drawn with an expression that makes it look like she is about to pummel the dragon back under the earth with her bare fists, but nobody asks me.

In any case, Kaga seems to prefer to actually write scenarios that lead to the desired fetishy scenarios, slave Leia flavored or otherwise.
Like, sure, it's possible to turn a good chunk of the female cast into maids. But that's explicitly the result of hypnosis. Because none of those hardened knight ladies would wear something like this into battle if they were of sound mind, that would be absurd.

I really wish he didn't do that. Feeble explanation or no, it's not a fun time when he does it.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

the stuff was added by a localizer, it's "bad localization". If it's stuff that was in there anyways/approved by the original creator, it's "the creator let himself be taken over by the woke" or better yet "the creator isn't even real". Incredible

The mental gymnastics. It's... majestic.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Bahahahaha

...wait she sleeps in her full attire? How does she avoid getting pricked by her own spikes?

14 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I am gonna disagree here. The information delivered is the same, but the characterization and intent is *waaaaaaaaay* different

The rain one is especially cringe.

I disagree, because of the Japanese text. The way its phrased in the Japanese it sounds like joking banter to a friend, something that the localization captures, and the overly direct translation fails to. The direct translation does a better job of capturing frustration, but misses a lot of the characterization to do so.

12 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yes

But that's not what most people complain about

Most complaints happen when the meaning or characterization change. That's not a "localization" anymore.

The issue is that characterization is interpretive, and can even be culturally dependent in a way that doesn't translate at all.

Still not not their job tbh...not that i find Marth that good, more on the boring side, so maybe that's why?

It kind of is their job. Mindlessly, and directly translating things leads to boring works at best, and Google Translate gibberish at worst. With creative works, mere translation loses too much of the meaning, as how someone says something can be as important as what is being said. Worse yet, there simply aren't ways to really convey how something is said with the same meaning between so disparate of languages and cultures (as a lot of that how is culturally specific); you are forced to work with imperfect substitute. That leads to localizers having to reinsert that lost meaning by interpreting characters in ways that the language and culture can better handle, rather than leave a dearth of meaning that otherwise can not be filled.

13 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Let's go with another example - Trails - the whole series. The OG script, especially Cold steel (but not just) is really really dry, and has a lot of repetition (ckeck amazon jp reviews, alot of "does the writer even know japanese" comments), and the english script, through the series, is usually seen as superior

Yet despite that, there're very rare complaints about intent or characterization change (at least back in my day). The biggest complaint i can remember is changing the name of something in Sky3rd that Falcom already had an english name for.

There aren't complaints about it because that change in intent or characterization isn't there, its because the English script is better, and people don't need to dig around for reasons to complain about not liking the script...

Honestly, I see a fair number of localization complaints as falling into three crowds, people who are digging for a reason to justify their dislike of the writing, whining about the localization not going along with the complainer's personal interpretation of the character, or plot point, etc., and people just parroting one of the other groups (as they really don't know enough of the language to formulate an opinion on their own, and found one of the other arguments persuasive).

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

This is why i think it doesn't ruin the game as much if they actually just split up the chapters in a remake. The big maps are mostly an illusion because you still have to take the castles in a set order. Even if you can simultaneously work towards the next objective, you'll eventually get blocked by yellow indestructible units.

I see two major issue with that approach, first due to deployment location, and second due to the objective of defending the castles you seized.

If we were to think about splitting Genealogy up into separate maps for each seizing castle, by far the most obvious difference would be in the starting locations of units; in the original that is entirely dependent on where your units ended up when you seize the previous castle, but that doesn't really work with the maps split into chunks like this. Losing that aspect of the maps takes away from some of the strategy, for very minimal gains, and I would see it as a diminishment of what makes the game interesting. I see it as a move away from the more strategic movement that make Genealogy unique, whereas most of the other Fire Emblem game I can get away with almost entirely tactical movement with not a thought for the other.

Although by far the bigger issue is that defending the castles you have taken is a feature of a lot of chapters in the game. From a minor stated threat in the prologue, to the intentional fake-out of chapter 1 (technically it is possible to lose there if you are very, very, very unlucky, and left no defenders, so perhaps fake-out isn't entirely accurate), building towards the more credible threat near the end of chapter 2...I could keep going, but instead I will jump to the biggest point, that I don't even know how you would deal with the final section of chapter 9 in this format, as that is all about having to defend your distant and divided taken castles from a rain of wyverns.

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Brodia has a senate? Wait, wait, it has a government body? It has a system?

I mean, it sounds like I'm being a dick but it really is sad that the first question was my first reaction to this. Engage worldbuilding sucked balls...

I know what you mean. I kind of hope someone ends up making a story hack to incorporate the manga's story differences, and world building into Engage someday...

13 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

There's also another thing on right now where jp side want to use Ai human hybrid for translation and it's kinda blowing up, because alot of localizers are corrupt af, and yes, actually evil. And it's not just a single incident. And many of them like to hyperbole when confronted with criticism and respond will bullshit.

Oh boy...this is definitely going to lead to a new "All Your Base" moment in gaming.

I work with AI and can defo say that's not the case...if you know what you are doing

AI isn't a boogeyman for everything bad

The key thing here is you are using it as a tool, in conjunction with human agency, not as a means of replacing humans. Replacing human localizers with AI translation is going to be very bad, and with how prone Large Language Models are to "hallucinating" it could make things much worse for the translation purists. If I am too pessimistic, and they do mean to use it as a tool, I don't see how AI would improve the localization in the ways all these people are hoping, its more likely going to impact the really generic and ancillary writing (like shop text boxes, minor NPC lines, item descriptions, etc.), which can take up a massive chunk of the text, but usually only requires minimal creativity.

8 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

well, in Ys 1 the max level is 10 btw

But yeah a level makes alot of difference in older Ys games

The only Ys game I played was a remake of 1 and 2 on the DS, and I remember not liking the bizarre bump attack mechanics, and that the extreme leveling system made it impossible to have a satisfying level of difficulty.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Let's hope IS is taking notes, they can really improve the series by following the manga 😛