Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I'm back with FF III, about to enter the Tower of Owen.

I'd say, the idea of needing to be under the status ailments to access dungeons and stuff is interesting, but it's a shame that it's so limited. The concept of Mini dungeons works, since you can at least still fight with an all mages party, but then how can you make a workable dungeon while under Toad? Which is why it's only limited to being the access to the dungeon, rather than needing to go through the entire thing as toads. Oh well...

As a bit of random trivia. The Mini-required dungeons were partly the inspiration that led me to write Cavern of the Fae. Well, the original version I uploaded to Writing.com at least.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well, a long drawn-out battle with Medusa and I couldn't do much before I finally started losing.

Dammit Desch, the battle was like over ten turns, you only acted once, and when you did it was to use your weaker physical attack over your Thundara spell!

I need a more magic oriented team here, mostly for the magic-resistance equipment that I have. Sadly, that means leaving the dungeon, Job Change, heal up for spell charges, then go all the way back here.

*looks at the time*

Yeah, not happening tonight. Well, tomorrow then.

---

Okay, never mind. I changed jobs and just jumped straight to the battle. I managed to win this time around, thanks to the magic-resistant equipment. Desch still only attacked once and again was his physical attack. I'm not asking for the guest party members to act every battle round, but it feels like the game is deliberately keeping it on the low side. Way too low side.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Took a break from Blood Omen and thought I’d give this Triangle Strategy a try. 

I’m liking it so far.  

Remember to always listen to Benedict. He won't lead you astray. Ever.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Where are they now?

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

r/fireemblem and daily engage hate, maybe

Eh, it's been 7 years. I was a vastly different person 7 years ago. Probably would've joined the Engage hate without even playing it, 7 years ago. Chances are at least one of these folks is no longer this way. Crystal Queen and their pfp in particular just doesn't give me the vibes of someone who would unironically use "this fragile generation nowadays" talking points anymore. That's the kind of thing you hear from people with an anime girl and a white background on their pfp. You know what I'm talking about.

...that being said they were all completely right about Heroes--

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

43qtnwz.jpg

For fuck's sake, Japan. Seriously?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh, it's been 7 years. I was a vastly different person 7 years ago. Probably would've joined the Engage hate without even playing it, 7 years ago. Chances are at least one of these folks is no longer this way. Crystal Queen and their pfp in particular just doesn't give me the vibes of someone who would unironically use "this fragile generation nowadays" talking points anymore. That's the kind of thing you hear from people with an anime girl and a white background on their pfp. You know what I'm talking about.

I just think the level of doomposting back then was hilarious. People were doing this shit even on fucking Miiverse of all things.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

A mere drop in the bucket compared to the sheer horniness of Baldur's Gate 3.

17 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

I dunno if I would say the toxicity of the community has changed much, really. XD

It's definitely not as bad as it used to be.

Reminding myself this exists, maybe, with the 3DS eShop now gone (and hey, I own the original), I should emulate Redux and start over with this. -Though certainly not now. (And given what I read of the new superboss, I should probably ignore it and the new endings it unlocks.)

10 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

eTWEEJJ.jpg

-Just want to comment on you flipping from one game to another fairly different at least aesthetically in posts hardly separated temporally.😆

If plot and characters didn't exist, I'd be able to do the same. But it's those two things (my stupid obsession with having full mental clarity and concentration for the appreciation of them) that are mostly to blame for making me so darned hesitant on booting up a new game or even continuing one.

14 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

This theme is so catchy, I swear.

I think I prefer his Coliseum theme. Though I feel like it could be longer, needs more buildup/repetitive looping (a holdover from Pokemon being a GB-originated franchise where track length was limited?). -The XD theme is still good however.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Really?

That's pretty tame bro

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

*insert Atelier/TLOU meme here*

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's definitely not as bad as it used to be.

Eh

It's worse in some cases

It's very reminiscent of the Fates era atm

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just want to comment on you flipping from one game to another fairly different at least aesthetically in posts hardly separated temporally.😆

It helps that:

- Niertomato is pretty repetitive. 2nd route was quite dull - gameplay wise especially

- Gunvolt is fast snappy action with fun boss battles  and levels that take 10-20 Minutes - perfect to play inbetween or to break monotony or other games

- Engage just oozes fun!

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I prefer his Coliseum theme. Though I feel like it could be longer, needs more buildup/repetitive looping (a holdover from Pokemon being a GB-originated franchise where track length was limited?). -The XD theme is still good however.

I would say you are a traitor but you claimed it's still good so any transgression is forgiven. XD

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, I feel Colliseum and Gale of Darkness should get, at the very least, some HD ports...

We can't support stealing, now can we? lol

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

It's very reminiscent of the Fates era atm

Oh yeah, many thought Fates was the worst thing to exist! Good memories. XD

If anything, the modding elitists back then were the worst. 

"your mod doesn't have custom Portraits or maps? It's garbage." 

"your portraits look terrible, you aren't cut out for this." things to that effect.

Edited by Lightcosmo

32 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Untitled-6.png?ex=65ae86b3&is=659c11b3&h

Had to make the inverse of that one meme.

29 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Oh yeah, many thought Fates was the worst thing to exist! Good memories. XD

Some still do....

My dad got me chalk pastels. So I've been arting again.

IMG_20240104_174554.jpg?ex=65ae901f&is=6

I arted this, just to figure the things out.

I'm doing some fanart now. Which leaves me less opportunity to use the chalks, but they should be useful for the background, at least.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yes, but still.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Really?

That's pretty tame bro

Japan needs to take its scripts more seriously! I'm the one who's supposed to say that, not the game characters.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Dare I ask?

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

If anything, the modding elitists back then were the worst. 

"your mod doesn't have custom Portraits or maps? It's garbage." 

"your portraits look terrible, you aren't cut out for this." things to that effect.

Eh, I'd say it's not that these complaints became less common, but rather that, with the mountain of F2U portraits that's available now, almost nobody tries to make their own portraits. They just grab some from the pile and use those, and then nobody complains. I've seen some hate at the few hacks that do try to make their own portraits these days, though. I got some too, though it wasn't as much as it wasn't anywhere near this unpleasant, thank goodness.

40 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Opera_Snapshot_2024-01-08_102032_twitter

Lot?!

How fucking dare they! Lot is so cool!

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm the one who's supposed to say that, not the game characters.

Realism 100.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Dare I ask?

ef4.jpg

So, since I've got absolutely nothing to play (aside from Mass Effect and I'm not making an EA account right now), I've decided to make the mistake of playing a JRPG again. Last time was a pretty massive disappointment. I'm told Suikoden is pretty good, though, so let's give that a shot.

So already I'm introduced to Dad, who is definitely going to die, kindly emperor, who is also probably going to die, and this commander called Kraze, who is literally this guy. So far it feels like this is going to be the most predictable thing in the world, and being a JRPG of its age, I have very low hopes that it won't be, but eh. I don't have anything to play. Might as well see how long this lasts me before I get bored and then I'll go and make that fucking EA account.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

ef4.jpg

Ah, I see.

GDTD7Q_XwAAxIiX?format=jpg&name=large

GDTD7a9WkAA2nLm?format=jpg&name=large

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So already I'm introduced to Dad, who is definitely going to die, kindly emperor, who is also probably going to die, and this commander called Kraze, who is literally this guy. So far it feels like this is going to be the most predictable thing in the world, and being a JRPG of its age, I have very low hopes that it won't be, but eh. I don't have anything to play.

800px-Heroesjourney.svg.png

Edited by Armagon

14wxIbSF_o.png

Ahh, nothin' like the smell of a beloved JRPG classic. Look at those tropes! Isn't it beautiful?

Just earlier I also met the best friend of my protagonist Spin (he was spinning goofily in the naming screen so I went for it), name of Ted. He tried to tell me a secret but then supper was served and he decided to tell me later.

So hey, if nothing else, at least I got that building suspense. Who's going to die first? The childhood friend who was about to tell me an important secret, or my dad who has said the daddest line of them all? My money's on Dad dying and the friend becoming separated from us for a long time due to shenanigans (likely to due with Literally Moustache-Twirling Villain Kraze).

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

800px-Heroesjourney.svg.png

It is written: Only orphans can defeat Ganon.

dPIEjqFe_o.png

What is Mario doing here?

Anyway, I feel like what lets these beloved JRPG classics down a lot of the time is the translation. I found a row of gravestones and each one had a different bit of text. This kind of thing is always cool attention to detail... but the text was so desertically dry that I couldn't even be bothered to read them all lol. The game then tried to do a funny scene, but again, the script is as dry as month-old piece of bread so it fell flat completely.

And that's the way it always was in these ancient times - no fioritures, no embellishments, just straight-to-the-point text and overly casual-sounding dialogue. Gets the job done, but I'm not an 8 year old playing this on the original PSX. I need bigger words to be impressed.

eoNXAIKy_o.png

I mean, once in a blue moon the dryness works in the game's favor, but--

chartran-prise-de-rome.jpg

@Saint Rubenio I can't seem to log in to my Nat Geo History account, which I would've done if it could've gotten me higher quality image of the above French 19th century painting.

But, I thought I'd share a little story with you. In 387 BC, the city of Rome was ransacked by the Gauls. While there was time to flee, the elderly Roman Senators chose to remain in the atria (entrance halls) of their homes. In his special Roman political elite curule chair, Senator Marcus Papirius sat motionless. So motionless, one invading Gaul tugged on the old man's long white beard to determine if he was a statue. Papirius reacted by smacking the Gaul with his cane. The invader then stabbed Papirius to death, but then the Senator was probably already well-resigned to his fate and intended to go stubbornly.

-This probably never happened, since all accounts of the 387 BC pillaging of Rome were written centuries after the fact. Modern historians think the city of Rome may have been attacked in ~387 BC, but it was a small army doing a quick raid, the attackers took what they could and fled. It wasn't a barbarian horde who destroyed buildings, set fire to the city, and put siege to the Capitoline Hill for six months, that's all exaggerated Roman propaganda stemming from a great fear of barbarians and hatred for the Gauls whom they later conquered. Still, nice story?