• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I hate that time passes.

7 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Isnt that their jobs to work with those variables? They are paid to, after all!

They are literally doing it.

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

There will be a scene near the end of the game where Van discusses his romantic woes with Rean. Rean will respond "you should resolve it like I did, haha" and pull a picture out of his pocket...

At least Van only has two potential candiadtes.

Van when Kuro 3 confirms his marriage to Agnes

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They are literally doing it.

If thats what that is, I have concerns. Lmao

Likely not going to find middle ground here so that's that, i suppose. *shrug*

Edited by Lightcosmo

Posted (edited)

Maybe Kuro 3 will actually have a soundtrack worth listening to. God, Kuro OST is god-awful.

Edited by Lightcosmo

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 5:39 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

During my first session, since I inevitably brought up my liking for history, I discovered the therapist I just so happen to have chosen believes in history conspiracy theories.😐

I must admit, I am a bit curious as to which history conspiracy theory we are talking about here, something silly like Kubrick faked the moon landing, something common like the CIA killed the Kennedys, or something repulsive like holocaust denial. Don't feel you have to obligue my curiosity if you don't want to.

Also, I am with Armagon here in thinking you should give it a few session to see if/how it helps before dropping the therapist.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sorry again to vent here, but there wasn't exactly anywhere else where I could.

Vent here anytime man.

On 5/22/2024 at 6:14 PM, Lightcosmo said:

"The internet can tend to be an echo chamber of sorts, so if people start saying something is wrong or weak, that assessment will gain momentum and make people think that it’s truer than it is," said Sakurai. In essence, tier lists may not be as effective as they are made out to be."

this line, right here. Is as i just proved, wrong.

If this quote represents Sakurai's stance on tier lists, than

On 5/22/2024 at 3:21 PM, Lightcosmo said:

Sakurai's stance on "tier lists are phony" has been brought up again. Dude, stop trying to convince everyone every game is 100% balanced lmao. it's just sad at this point.

This is a gross misrepresentation of what that quote is saying, and you have only disproven this strawman of his ideas, because that quote is demonstrably right. I am guessing you are responding to what others have interpreted this quote to mean, because if you actually bother to read the quote, it is a lot harder to prove wrong. What he is saying is that not everything said on the internet about games (which seems to have been extrapolated to tier lists) is perfectly accurate, so take it with a grain of salt. I will note that it is the one commenting on the quote that brings up tier lists, but I will use those as examples anyway, as the point can still be made with them, and Sakurai is talking about popular opinions, which tier lists often fit into. First off multiple Fire Emblem tier lists disagree with eachother, which hints that at least one of them is wrong, or to use Pokemon RBY as an example the same way you have, its tierlists have changed dramatic even in recent times, with some of the big 8 falling from grace, not to mention the upheaval seen in the lower tiers, and at least at one point in time these tiers must be inaccurate. What he is saying is you shouldn't mindlessly follow everything you see on a tier list, and use your brain when you play.

Also I find it odd how focused you are on balance, when he say nothing about that, or even imply anything about that with this quote, especially when basic design principles indicate that 100% balanced multiplayer games aren't desirable (and Sakurai's products show this quite well). Perfectly balanced games lead to stagnant metas where only the lowest and highest levels of play have that enjoyable sense of creativity involved in them. As for why balance patches are added in, usually its to change up a meta that the creators find undesirable for one reason or another, rebalancing things rather than trying to make them perfectly balanced.

12 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

"The left" you guys have over there can be barely called left tbh.

Sadly true, we more have a far right and center right...

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For some reason, maybe b/c story-light and bright character designs, I started feeling the Etrian Odyssey itch again. I should probably finish my emulated EOIV run, need to see to the end of the adventure of these guys.:

EOIV-Caiah.pngEOIV-Kamaraja.pngEOIV-Mithrieu.pngEOIV-Caedicone.pngEOIV-Ghazorl.png

Oh fun, its the Etrian Odyssey game I have actually played, although I never did end up finishing it. The generic characters leads to a weaker narrative than I generally like in my JRPGs, although I really, really, really like the way you manually map things out on the bottom screen, so I am a bit torn on it. Maybe I should try to finish it one of these days...

Also side note, I finally got a deep run into Pokerogue, and it hits a point where it reaches a bit of a repetitive groove where the only thing that matters are the rival and gym battles, which strips away a lot of the charm the game had in its early stages (especially once the level cap gets above 100...)

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

Hmm... okay, I think I'm done. The one-shot is ready. Perhaps to upload already. Though there is still one more thing I need to do before doing that. Fortunately, it's... I would say 95% done already, so it won't take me as much to get it done in comparison. I hope.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I must admit, I am a bit curious as to which history conspiracy theory we are talking about here, something silly like Kubrick faked the moon landing, something common like the CIA killed the Kennedys, or something repulsive like holocaust denial. Don't feel you have to obligue my curiosity if you don't want to.

Also, I am with Armagon here in thinking you should give it a few session to see if/how it helps before dropping the therapist.

It was nothing so bad, thankfully.

Spoiler

"The Ancient Egyptians didn't build the pyramids, somebody else did." They also brought up the existence of pyramids elsewhere in the world.

To which I would've -but didn't b/c polite- respond that...

• If you're working with certain materials, and knowledge of only certain building techniques, then yeah 3D triangles would stand a great chance of being your monumental structures. Doesn't matter where you are in the world.
  • Stone is very durable, won't burn, can handle lots of weight. And you need a big base and tiny top if you don't use columns (which the Egyptians had, and used in their temples, just not their eternal resting places) or arches (Egypt had them, but arches didn't explode in architectural popularity until the Romans mastered them).

Denying to those long past, the ingenuity and labor that belongs to them ...it demeans them in a way.

From the architects who made calculations without the technologies we depend on today, to those who those who backbreakingly dragged great stone blocks into place, and the middle-management overseers scurrying between work sites. Nor should we forget the many farmers of the fertile Nile, for without the great surplus they grew of barley and emmer wheat -the beer and bread of life- there could not have been population to spare, to take from the most fundamental task of food production, and turn into scribes and quarrymen. The pyramids were monuments born of the desire for eternity of the Old Kingdom pharaohs on top, but they are forever testaments to all the Egyptians who in one way or another, made them possible.

And yeah, I'll give it a few more weeks. It's just not having the first session go perfectly ...it's a lot of things.😅

My mood today (well, yesterday since it's now past midnight for me) somehow took a turn towards anger. All I wanted to do was sit alone in my room and let the negative emotions drag me down. When asked to do something minor around the house, oh how I close I came to swearing in response🤬 (and I never do IRL). Frustration that in someone of lesser internalizing capacities, would've resulted in an open and childish tantrum. An irrational anger that tried to reject feeling inescapably miserable.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oh fun, its the Etrian Odyssey game I have actually played, although I never did end up finishing it. The generic characters leads to a weaker narrative than I generally like in my JRPGs,

I getcha. I feel like EO could've done more despite the limitations and trying to be Wizardry old-school; though being light on story has its advantages at times to me.

Etrian Odyssey Untold and 2 Untold added story modes with non-generic characters who actually talk. -Although the story mode teams have preset classes (an alter class feature does let you trade a few levels to swap classes, albeit not the character's actual stats/stat growth).

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Also side note, I finally got a deep run into Pokerogue, and it hits a point where it reaches a bit of a repetitive groove where the only thing that matters are the rival and gym battles, which strips away a lot of the charm the game had in its early stage

I felt that after my 3rd run in already tbh.
Kinda the same problem i face with Rogue/-lites

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yeah, I'll give it a few more weeks. It's just not having the first session go perfectly ...it's a lot of things.😅

I'd just like to say, if it ends up coming to dropping the therapist, do try to find another. Bad therapists exist. Good ones too. One bad experience doesn't have to mean therapy's a lost cause.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

What he is saying is that not everything said on the internet about games (which seems to have been extrapolated to tier lists) is perfectly accurate, so take it with a grain of salt

For this point:

with some of the big 8 falling from grace

Please tell me which Pokemon are still on top.

What he is saying is you shouldn't mindlessly follow everything you see on a tier list, and use your brain when you play.

I would hope this is a given, using your brain to think. XD

Perfectly balanced games lead to stagnant metas where only the lowest and highest levels of play have that enjoyable sense of creativity involved in them. As for why balance patches are added in, usually its to change up a meta that the creators find undesirable for one reason or another, rebalancing things rather than trying to make them perfectly balanced.

"stagnant metas" Kind of like how Ultimate Sonic has a terrible rep of just Spin Dash spam into run away the entire game and getting absurd reward for it since 60% of the cast can't even keep up to stop him? Gotta say, that's a pretty "creative" meta he has going for Sonic there! Or similar to Steve, who runs and mines while the other player just stands there doing nothing because the risk/reward of stopping him is so high/low it's not worth going for? Those exciting metas?

8 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Please tell me which Pokemon are still on top.

The big change is in people realizing that the Rock types weren't actually as useful as people used to think, which started with the tie between Golem and Rhydon being definitively broken in Rhydon's favor, and Alakazam's physical frailty catching up with it (and while Chansey is still holding out in the upper tiers for now, that frailty has seen it fall a bit as well), just leaving  five of the old eight above the rest, Tauros, Snorlax, Chansey, Starmie, and Exeggutor at the top, with Zapdos rising through the ranks (without as much worry about the Rock-Ground types that used to stifle it) to compete with the fallen Rhydon and Alakazam (while Golem has fallen to near the bottom of the pack) for a noticeably lower tier of OU.

29 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

"stagnant metas" Kind of like how Ultimate Sonic has a terrible rep of just Spin Dash spam into run away the entire game and getting absurd reward for it since 60% of the cast can't even keep up to stop him? Gotta say, that's a pretty "creative" meta he has going for Sonic there! Or similar to Steve, who runs and mines while the other player just stands there doing nothing because the risk/reward of stopping him is so high/low it's not worth going for? Those exciting metas?

Seeing as the tier list just a year ago didn't find Sonic so dominate, I am guess things are still changing for Ultimate's meta game..

Just now, Eltosian Kadath said:

The big change is in people realizing that the Rock types weren't actually as useful as people used to think, which started with the tie between Golem and Rhydon being definitively broken in Rhydon's favor, and Alakazam's physical frailty catching up with it (and while Chansey is still holding out in the upper tiers for now, that frailty has seen it fall a bit as well), just leaving  five of the old eight above the rest, Tauros, Snorlax, Chansey, Starmie, and Exeggutor at the top, with Zapdos rising through the ranks (without as much worry about the Rock-Ground types that used to stifle it) to compete with the fallen Rhydon and Alakazam (while Golem has fallen to near the bottom of the pack) for a noticeably lower tier of OU.

Seeing as the tier list just a year ago didn't find Sonic so dominate, I am guess things are still changing for Ultimate's meta game..

You, uh, forgot to mention Mewtwo there somewhere. XD

Yes, because no one wants to play the character everyone hates and boos you just for playing. Nothing to do with balance, that's shitty treatment to subject yourself to regardless.

Just now, Lightcosmo said:

You, uh, forgot to mention Mewtwo there somewhere. XD

Yes, because no one wants to play the character everyone hates and boos you just for playing. Nothing to do with balance, that's shitty treatment to subject yourself to regardless.

I don't know as much about the Ubers environment and its history, and when most people talk about competitive pokemon they usually mean either Smogon OU for singles, or the official VGC rules for doubles, although RBY was before double battles, and even if you wanted to talk the rules for the official tournaments for Gen 1, they banned Mewtwo and Mew as well (In case you are curious, Pokemon Stadium Rules are pretty much what was played with for them, and the Japanese only Stadium game included only pokemon used in the world championship, and had fights with AI using the top placing teams). Both Mew and Mewtwo were banned to Ubers for differing reasons; and are the top tier of that format for those reasons; the high stats and powerful moves on Mewtwo, whereas the versatility of Mew's movepool (as it could learn all TMs and HMs) made it too difficult to plan around.

Just now, Eltosian Kadath said:

I don't know as much about the Ubers environment and its history, and when most people talk about competitive pokemon they usually mean either Smogon OU for singles, or the official VGC rules for doubles, although RBY was before double battles, and even if you wanted to talk the rules for the official tournaments for Gen 1, they banned Mewtwo and Mew as well (In case you are curious, Pokemon Stadium Rules are pretty much what was played with for them, and the Japanese only Stadium game included only pokemon used in the world championship, and had fights with AI using the top placing teams). Both Mew and Mewtwo were banned to Ubers for differing reasons; and are the top tier of that format for those reasons; the high stats and powerful moves on Mewtwo, whereas the versatility of Mew's movepool (as it could learn all TMs and HMs) made it too difficult to plan around.

Mewtwo was banned because it was broken, then? Was it intentional? Hell yes it was, no doubt, that was a conscious choice by the dev's to break Mewtwo in half when balancing the game, likely ensuring it's BST was insane along with it's movepools. Is it technically bad for competitive play? Yes as well, since no one wants to take on something basically unbeatable, it's just not fun in any instance.

And personally, I understand where they were coming from as an endgame reward it's just designed to destroy the opposition with. But I also think some line really should be drawn, especially in a game that has competitive play. XD

jr0qw2jv2e2d1.jpeg

20 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I can't believe the meme is over (even though Zin was missing for a longer span of time).

It's because, unlike Zin, Kevin is remembered and well-liked by the fandom

Screenshot_57.png?ex=66526e80&is=66511d0

You know shit's about to go down when the episode begins with just the opening credits, no intro.

I think the last time Doctor Who did that was almost 11 years ago in the 50th anniversary special.

That was definitely an episode (affectionate).

Also i was wrong, Doctor Who has skipped the opening title a few more times. Last time was Resolution i think.

14 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Bro i should learn spanish just to fool people lol

Everyone, literally everyone i meet thinks i am spanish or latin american xD

Pin by Luis Dominguez on FanBoy | Star wars characters, Star wars episodes,  Star wars fans

36 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Bro i should learn spanish just to fool people lol

Everyone, literally everyone i meet thinks i am spanish or latin american xD

Shrimpy after learning Spanish and saying a seemingly innocent phrase (it was actually a super offensive slur in the exact country the other guy just so happens to be from).

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Shrimpy after learning Spanish and saying a seemingly innocent phrase (it was actually a super offensive slur in the exact country the other guy just so happens to be from).

> Three Houses in Spanish changing Manuela to Miguela be like

Hola!

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Pin by Luis Dominguez on FanBoy | Star wars characters, Star wars episodes,  Star wars fans

amo la democracia!

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Or, after learning spanish everyone will insist i am Brazilian, just you wait xD

40 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Or, after learning spanish everyone will insist i am Brazilian, just you wait xD

Speak Portugal Portuguese just to fuck with them.