• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Your mistake was thinking modern Trails fans care about gameplay

Then why try to make points about gameplay? Xd

Horny Jail needs more wardens.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/alternative-titles-for-pokemon-ruby-and-sapphire-reportedly-discovered

To think Gen 3 wasn't going to be so gemmy. ...Was Rayquaza even a thing at this early stage? B/c Green had already been taken, and I'm not sure what alternative they could've gone with.

"Team Tunnel" also sounds incredibly nonthreatening but that's one way to win a siege.

A good change overall, it's far from the first time titles changed mid-development nor the last.

Team Tunnel would have taken Sootopolis's volcano out or at least dug a tunnel through the wall

Worry not about a superboss, concern yourself what'll happen when the ancient people sleeping inside wake up.🌕

Moon people would use cheese to kill us all

52 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

…Those were my exact words after finally beating Engage, huh.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

8 hours ago, Dayni said:

Team Tunnel would have taken Sootopolis's volcano out or at least dug a tunnel through the wall

Good. Because how on earth is there a thriving city inside a volcano that has no normal entrance?

...I was reminded of some old notes I took from a book on medieval/early early modern siege warfare.:

Spoiler
  1. Fire Bombs; More Greek Fire?; Chivalry
    1. Fire Bombs and Underground Infernos
      1. Setting the awe of flamethrowers aside, fire was most commonly used in two other ways:
        1. Incendiary bombs hurled by siege artillery
        2. The subterranean work of the miners’ and sappers’ corps.
      2. The principle of siege mining was simple enough.
        1. Dig a tunnel under the fortress walls and widen it.
        2. When all is ready, set fire to the timber uprights you’ve put in place to keep the tunnel and the walls above form collapsing.
        3. Timed properly, the maximum amount of masonry would collapse into the tunnel, making a breach in the walls the attackers above could invade.
      3. Technical expertise, sound judgement, professional experience, a cool head and some courage all seriously helped for the job of siege tunnels.
      4. Factors to consider when digging the mine:
        1. Make sure the mine-head/entrance is well out of sight of the enemy. Start from far away, or if it must be close, hide the entrance with penthouse or mantelet.
        2. Make sure you know how far to dig to get under the wall, don’t fall short of it or go past it.
        3. Make sure the gallery where you set the timbers on fire is spacious enough for sufficient combustion- you need oxygen.
        4. Excavate as quietly as possible, you don’t want the defenders to know you’re there.
        5. Be prepared to change the tunnel’s direction if you think the enemy has realized you’re tunneling and figured out the starting location.
        6. Schedule the collapse of the wall to coincide with a prepared assault above ground. If you make the breach too far ahead of schedule, the enemy might repair the wall or throw up obstructions to slow the assault.
      5. A well-conducted mining operation offered the possibility of serious gain.
      6. The besieged were always on the lookout for mining. The initial steps for handling it.:
        1. Begin by looking for the sight of mine entrances.
        2. Build listening posts into the ground and pay attention to the vibrations for anything suspicious.
          1. Experiment with what you use. Bowls of water placed on the walls worked at Caen in 1417, read the ripples on the water’s surface. But this example demand silence within several yards of the water bowls.
        3. Determine where your defenses are the weakest, where the tunnels might be looking to go under. Combine these to your visual and audial observations.
        4. Deploy spies for intel if possible.
        5. Pray to God/hope for good luck.
      7. The standard response to siege mining, was the countermine.
        1. The defenders would dig a tunnel, with the intention of breaking into the enemy’s tunnel before they succeeded in their wall destruction.
        2. Intensive listening was necessary to determine where the enemy was. Stealth was needed to avoid alerting them.
        3. And, a frenzy of digging to remove the last bit of intervening earth was necessary to get the jump on the enemy as quickly as possible.
      8. Once a countermine bumped into a siege mine, some of the most brutal medieval combat followed.
        1. Dark, muddy, claustrophobic tunnels. Pickaxes and daggers drawn by men who didn’t get a look at their opponents until it was it to strike.
        2. If the officer in charge of a mining team could alert their commanding officer in time of an impending countermine breakthrough, the counterminers could find themselves faced with properly-armed soldiers, not other miners.
        3. Durazzo, 1107, the Greek defenders successfully countermined, catching their opponents unprepared. Flamethrowers were used to drive the miners back.
      9. St. Malo, 1378
        1. England is in despair, the great Edward III has died, and the Spanish and French are ravaging the English coast in revenge for English success in the first phase of the Hundred Years’ War.
        2. Edward III’s son, John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, seeks retribution by laying siege to St. Malo, the strongest port on the north coast of France still in French hands.
        3. Artillery blasting the walls and assaults by men-at-arms, were supported by a mining operation, by early August, the tunnel as nearing completion.
        4. The Maloines were well informed about where the mine entrance was however. A raiding party sent out at night managed to completely wreck the mine’s inner workings.
        5. The mine was abandoned, starting a new one considered pointless, and so the siege was canceled.
      10. The tactics of medieval siege tunneling were not unlike those deployed in trench warfare during World War I.

The detail into which I went is why I only very rarely have done this.😅

-And I will concede FE may have been a reason I was interested (just as 3H made me curious about medieval universities, though I've lost the typed notes on that, warfare was NOT part of the curricula and weapons on campus were banned).😆 Although, sieges being drawn-out with little direct action most of the time, FE doesn't gel well with them. Any initial actions that end with the enemy held up behind their walls, or the long-awaited day when the breach of castle walls happens and the assailants rush in, those are the moments in siege that FE can capture.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good. Because how on earth is there a thriving city inside a volcano that has no normal entrance?

From the air? Teleportation? Or the obvious one... Pokémon? For its worth, the anime did showed the city carved out an opening on the wall so ships could come in and out.

Also, Team Tunnel makes me think of The Last Airbender. SECRET TUNNEL!!!!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

My crackheaded idea of Xaixor being Saizo's grandad could be real?

-And I will concede FE may have been a reason I was interested (just as 3H made me curious about medieval universities, though I've lost the typed notes on that, warfare was NOT part of the curricula and weapons on campus were banned).😆 Although, sieges being drawn-out with little direct action most of the time, FE doesn't gel well with them. Any initial actions that end with the enemy held up behind their walls, or the long-awaited day when the breach of castle walls happens and the assailants rush in, those are the moments in siege that FE can capture.

We've seen that. I feel like you could portray actions of the siege towards breaking it, but the waiting isn't what FE is designed for (why yes, I don't subscribe to Wait being the most powerful action)

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also, Team Tunnel makes me think of The Last Airbender. SECRET TUNNEL!!!!

I confess, me too.

Acacia already covered much of it, but I could see a submarine boom in a Hoenn sequel to allow players to access there before having Dive and possibly some other new settlement where you could get it.

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

The first new Famicom Detective Club is also the first ever rated M Nintendo game.

Eternal Darkness:

41kr1p.png

It looks cool, I can’t wait for Emio to get into the next Super Smash Bros.

Edited by Lightchao42

I made the mistake of listening to Moon Channel's Korean gender war videos. To think the state of things can be that fucked in discourse, it's clear how little I know and that's ignoring what simplification has been given to the piece.

58 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Eternal Darkness:

41kr1p.png

It looks cool, I can’t wait for Emio to get into the next Super Smash Bros.

I knew when I read first someone would say it.

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That one was only published by Nintendo.

First in-house.

Interesting to see the remakes were well enough received and selling that this went ahead then.

(Look I'm only somewhat bitter about Activision's CoDsession and the consequences for other projects)

Megaton Musashi Chapter 10 completed, they weren't kidding when they called the fight a "Marathon Battle", so many (mostly short) fights, soooooooooooooooo much plot! (The last bit of which was 🤢.) And a boss that could easily drop you from full-to-dead in a single combo.😐 Five lives per battle suddenly went from overkill to just enough.

On the writing, I'm questioning if the story has too many characters it wants to give attention to. And perhaps if the plot is moving too fast, or rather, that the medium of a video game has to skip over a lot of the peaceful character bonding that'd be fine in a non-interactive medium. *Checks the anime's length* 28 episodes, maybe that gave proper time to things.

And now the Rogues get jetpacks. No true flight, they just make dashing (including midair) faster, but MaZ's Jet Scrander is included as one.

16 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

From the air? Teleportation? Or the obvious one... Pokémon? For its worth, the anime did showed the city carved out an opening on the wall so ships could come in and out.

Figured as much. Not needing to lock it behind Dive and having to be a hint more realistic.

21 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

>Biden got the Rona

Someone needs to check the democrats LCK stat real quick

I guess when they said he had the cold during the Debate...?

35 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

>Biden got the Rona

Someone needs to check the democrats LCK stat real quick

Fellas can we get a "Pokemon Black/White low health theme" in the chat.

https://noisypixel.net/riviera-the-promised-land-west-pc-steam-launch-sale/

$35 is overpriced, but still nice to see this get PC preservation. Lots of QoL enhancements too. Shame it ain't for me any longer. But it gives me an excuse to listen to its OST again.🎵

Knights in the Nightmare when? -Not that I ever played it.😆

You mean without the current discount? Over here it's closer to 22 USD.

Why stop there? Put Blazing Union and Gloria Union there too!

Edited by Acacia Sgt