• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, I've decided. My next game gonna be Grandia.

Played the game on my PS3 as part of my "experiencing old games I missed out on b/c Nintendo-only" time. Not bad, not exactly remarkable to me either. Yet as a light JRPG with an adventurous tone, it was decent junk food. The 3D visuals hadn't aged the best, albeit for the same reason they weren't forgettable.

O... M... G...

AT LAST. Zenobia, the last Rare RNG Blade... finally here!

my life is falling apart bingo Meme Generator

---

Well, might as well, gonna continue with Xeno 2 now that I no longer need to worry about more Blade gacha shenanigans. One day I'll see Torna... one day...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Master Barlowe's fourth hit seems to spike you with enough knockback that dodging the fifth hit is impossible. At least on Hard Mode anyway.

Hard Mode bosses in Ecclesia are fun. They are tweaked in so many ways.

Ecclesia Hard Mode is an interesting beast. The way bosses and stages are redesigned is very different from the usual Hard Mode fair of simply boosting the damage to obscene levels. They even give you the Glyph etui at the start so you can equip 3 different loadouts right away.

The results are most certainly mixed, though. Bosses are great but the stages turn a lot of rooms into the clock tower with endlessly spawning fliers everywhere. And Iga's games suuuuuck with how they handle Medusa Heads and related enemies. They constantly spawn from angles you either can't see or defend yourself again. Nevermind the nonsense of Medusa Heads turning you to stone.
Nevermind the forest stage right at the start. And people complain about the hallway to Death in Castlevania 1.
At least they placed some Axe Armors in the Monastery, so you can get the Axe glyph.

Some enemies got tweaked. Like, Invisible Men are turned into students of Barlowe, with the way they aggressively rush you down and throw out attacks nonstop. Fun stuff mostly.
Except for the spiders. They can go to hell. What's the point with these status effects? They are never fun to deal with because there is no counterplay beyond "Don't get hit." Which you are already trying to do.
All it does is waste your time by forcing you to go into the menu.

I suppose I would prefer playing Normal Mode stages with Hard Mode bosses.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Master Barlowe's fourth hit seems to spike you with enough knockback that dodging the fifth hit is impossible. At least on Hard Mode anyway.

Hard Mode bosses in Ecclesia are fun. They are tweaked in so many ways.

Ecclesia Hard Mode is an interesting beast. The way bosses and stages are redesigned is very different from the usual Hard Mode fair of simply boosting the damage to obscene levels. They even give you the Glyph etui at the start so you can equip 3 different loadouts right away.

The results are most certainly mixed, though. Bosses are great but the stages turn a lot of rooms into the clock tower with endlessly spawning fliers everywhere. And Iga's games suuuuuck with how they handle Medusa Heads and related enemies. They constantly spawn from angles you either can't see or defend yourself again. Nevermind the nonsense of Medusa Heads turning you to stone.
Nevermind the forest stage right at the start. And people complain about the hallway to Death in Castlevania 1.
At least they placed some Axe Armors in the Monastery, so you can get the Axe glyph.

Some enemies got tweaked. Like, Invisible Men are turned into students of Barlowe, with the way they aggressively rush you down and throw out attacks nonstop. Fun stuff mostly.
Except for the spiders. They can go to hell. What's the point with these status effects? They are never fun to deal with because there is no counterplay beyond "Don't get hit." Which you are already trying to do.
All it does is waste your time by forcing you to go into the menu.

I suppose I would prefer playing Normal Mode stages with Hard Mode bosses.

The bosses I'd say are just a general improvement. While it doesn't quite save the dead-on-arrival bosses (Eligor, Death with his stupid scythes, the Super Script Crab) I found all of them a lot more enjoyable in hard mode. Albus and Barlowe in particular are two really tough, really fast-paced and really fun fights back to back.

...But yeah, the forest is comically bad. Second area in the game, just a boring-ass forest that's a straight line you walk through, and it's randomly the hardest mandatory area in the entire game. The only thing that compares is the skeleton cave. I personally find that one harder, it's an incredibly long gauntlet full of tight corridors where you can't dodge shit and the big room with the two t-rexes that I just straight up don't know how ot get past without saving all my blast attacks for them. And then the boss at the end is... the easiest boss in the game that wasn't an intentional joke. Go figure.

Anyway, point is, yeah the forest is very funny. Doesn't help that you don't have much of anything to deal with it without NG+, so you just have to rely on your reflexes to dance around the medusas.

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...But yeah, the forest is comically bad. Second area in the game, just a boring-ass forest that's a straight line you walk through, and it's randomly the hardest mandatory area in the entire game. The only thing that compares is the skeleton cave. I personally find that one harder, it's an incredibly long gauntlet full of tight corridors where you can't dodge shit and the big room with the two t-rexes that I just straight up don't know how ot get past without saving all my blast attacks for them. And then the boss at the end is... the easiest boss in the game that wasn't an intentional joke. Go figure.

The zombie summon is a huge help there.

Won't help against the dinosaurs but they block the fireballs of all those bone pillars.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The zombie summon is a huge help there.

Won't help against the dinosaurs but they block the fireballs of all those bone pillars.

For the bone pillars I ended up just honing my timing. With the hammer glyph (which is the best way to deal damage to the pillars anyway), if you time it correctly, you'll whack the pillar and the lingering hitbox of the hammer will destroy the fireball when it comes out. It's easy timing too, you just have to press the button at any point when the pillar lights up and it's basically guaranteed to work.

The damned skeleton knights in the super tight corridors though, those are hell. In lv1 mode they take three hammer whacks to die, and then you get attacked by two at the same time.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I used the same glitch to use a Magic Ticket at the start of the game before you get to visit the town in order to get there early.
Sadly there is nothing going on there. The major is not present yet. So the only thing to do there is to plunder the local coffee and milk reserves.

Breaking out of Boss Rush and saving also causes your file to become a Max lv50 mode file. I guess it makes sense that the level cap of Boss Rush functioned by the game simply enabling Max lv50 mode.

This also means you can now have a Max lv50 file for Normal Mode. For whatever that's worth.
Normally level cap files are only Hard Mode.

Edited by BrightBow

Well, I had a bit of a heckin' concern at the moment, but after getting checked, we have determined.... well it's not something to be hospitalised for. I got the diagnosis of "maybe anxiety, maybe acid reflux?", which is just great, nice little vague answer to be nervous over.

Speaking of speedruns:

22 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

a man with a beard says filth in front of two other men
21 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

Today I learned that when parent birds regurgitate food for their hatchlings to eat, it contains a kind of milk. Bird milk is a real thing.

I'd heard that before with chickens, but I guess it's not them.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

the Super Script Crab

But, but, the elevator!

Seems that if you escape from Boss Rush, killed bosses will stay dead even if you save and restart.

But it also looks like you can do the reverse. Bringing a boss back into the main game if you face them in Boss Rush and escape without beating them.