Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

IIRC, Irm comments on that.

But yes, the Drei could've benefited from a late/endgame upgrade of some kind. Even if maxing the AOS stats already give it a ton of bonuses.

I'd say "Let the Huckebein 30th dock for the transformation" -but then Valzacard already did that.😛 (Valhawk as an aside might be Real, but 32.8m tall is decidedly above the Real norm. Also for comparison, in length, Dreisstrager is 2021m, Valstork is 185.5m (oddly, they haven't given measurements for the OGverse battleships).)

Well, could've been done as an anniversary reference, perhaps, heh.

...Now that's a little unusual. Japan is very friendly territory for the Steel Dragons in the OGverse, the heroes in both J (for the pre-Alaska midgame) and W use Japan as the center of their operations, you mentioned one of the Z games had two Japans, and ofc it's the Land of Super Robots so it practically always shows up for that reason.

As for the first paragraph, besides providing an explanation for why Raideen/GoShogun/Daitarn/Zambot/Combattler/Daimos/Dancouga don't show up, it does add in its own way to the threat the DC posed.

I guess for once they didn't want Japan to be super important? Still, it probably has to do that Gundam does dominate the spotlight in SRW 2 (and 3, for that matter). What with Bian operating from Jaburo, and the Zabis, future-Titans, and Crossbone Vanguard more or less providing much of the grunt force (and of course, the majority of the mechs). Japan likewise is also practically non-existent in UC Gundam. I don't think there's any work or part that has stuff happening there, though I could be wrong (and for its worth, Amuro is half-Japanese, even if he was likely born in the North American West Coast and grew up in Side 7). If anything, if there's any important place in Asia in the UC World, it's the Himalayas area. Jaburo actually gets nuked by the Titans during Zeta Gundam (they were holding it, but when Karaba/AUEG stormed the place to liberate it, they placed a nuke inside as a trap), so Lhasa becomes the Federation's main Headquarters afterwards. That said, in Char's Counterattack it gets destroyed when Char drops the Fifth Luna asteroid atop it. After that, I don't know what place served as the capital afterwards.

Yep, it was a handy way to explain the lack of presence for any additions later on. Likely also to deal with the restrictions the Famicom provided in terms of how much they could add. Still, it could've been neat if you indeed had to fight all those other mechs under DC control. SRW 2 only did this with Grendizer, piloted by a fake Duke.

The Titans' leader isn't one to settle for second place?

Well, he wasn't the leader, that was Jamitov Hymen. But I wouldn't be surprised if he also did tried that with the Titans. As it is, we don't get to see much in-game. In the fourth to last scenario, you are fighting against Scirocco and then Shu shows up to say Bian had figured things out, and that Scirocco has been kicked out of DC. Shu then leaves, and you still must fight Scirocco. And that's the last time he shows up in the game.

In 3, Scirocco and what forces loyal to him basically act like a wild card. An independent group not aligned to DC or the Inspectors. This is the first time he gets to pilot a Valsion Kai, as well. He would finally die here too. Remnants of his group do show up in 4, but at that point he's long dead.

Or so we could think, but then the man himself would make a reappearance in F/FF. However, there is a sub-plot of the Guest dabbling with cloning technology, and it is mentioned that several Scirocco clones were made (though not all green lighted by the Guest themselves). So the Scirocco(s?) encountered in F/FF are clones. Since the Titans leaders only show up in 4/F/FF, the whole "they hire Scirocco but are suspicious of him" subplot only happens during F/FF. In Gundam, it's mostly because he's from Jupiter, but Classicverse also adds the whole "he betrayed the DC" and "isn't he supposed to be dead?" to add to the mistrust they have on him.

-I get it's sorta canonical to ZZ, but SRW2 forcing one Puru to die no matter what is weirdly grim for how things would later go in SRW.

That was a curious decision. As it is, it ends up as a retcon/non-canon since both show up alive in 3, as it were.

I think that Lune might in Lord of Elemental (during the dialogue interlude between Masoukishin Parts 1&2) stated SRW1 was canon? I can't remember exactly what she said, but that the DC War was indeed known in-universe as the 2nd Super Robot War.

Speaking of whatever Haman got, I thought I heard Char, for all his fame, barely showed up in SRW2? Like a few early scenes and then he vanishes until SRW3 first battle?

Sounds like it. The Gilgilgan crisis is very self-contained, it could work out. Still, it leaves a bit of a plot hole since... Gilgilgan is an alien life form. If the world still had it fresh in their minds, how was Bian fighting an uphill battle to prove aliens were real and a threat to Earth? Looking up, it seems the intro narration of SRW 2 was already calling the DC conflict the Second Super Robot War, so... yeah.

Yeah, Char barely has any role in SRW 2, surprisingly. He even is only fightable once, if I recall. He seems to just... peace out. The only significance is that Lalah is with him, and you can recruit her. That's seems to be the extent of his role in the game. It would be in 3 where he'd finally have a significant role, yeah.

Also, having looked up, I was wrong. Haman does show up as part of the enemy reinforcements during the Last Battalion fight. But otherwise has nothing else of note there.

Which does align with OG1's midgame semi-adaption of SRW3, where the DC+UCC (under the leadership of the corrupt elements Bian knew might take over on his passing) was still known simply as the DC. It wasn't until OG2 that they became initially the DC Remnants, later renaming themselves Neo DC after they unleashed their (Earth Cradle + Vindel-backed) renewed might.

More or less. Though here it's more that a schism happens. Haman goes off on her own and creates Neo DC, using Mineva as a rallying figure to get the support of the Space Colonies, leaving DC itself just with their Earth-based forces. Neo DC is pretty much Neo Zeon, for all intents and purposes. It's just that since the Zabis apparently never established the Principality of Zeon in the Classicverse as they instead supported then took over DC, then... well, no Zeon, no way to have a Neo Zeon.

...Bian had genius & charisma, the Zabis had wickedness, Haman sounds possibly like a workaholic, Don Zauser is comatose. -How could he have achieved that?😆

Yeah, it's... strange. But I guess it's a way to give him something. Since apparently the other Meganoids don't show up in 4 (and in F/FF they're completely absent). It's just Zauser and Koros... which means it is mostly Koros doing all the work while Zauser catches some Z's. DC in 4 is also very... detached from what it used to have.

Haman seems to have taken most of the human elements with her (with the newly established Titans taking the rest), leaving DC with only Dr. Hell and his forces, the Mycenae (the Dark Emperor never shows up, it's mostly the Dark General supporting DC in both 3 and 4, and maybe F/FF too, though apparently a general that only showed up in the Mazinger movies also gets to appear in 4), Dinosaur Empire mechs (Emperor Gore never shows up in Classicverse, best I know, but as early in 2 DC had Dinosaur Empire mechs in their ranks, with Captain Radra as the only actual Dinosaur Empire character to show up, but only in 2), and Vega Empire mechs (the weirdest of the bunch since no Vega character shows up at all except for Naida in 3, so why DC has their mechs during 3 and 4? Though I guess it helps sell the whole "Zabis!DC was selling out to the aliens" subplot that causes Gato to leave them). DC also had Hyakki Empire support, but only in 2 and 3. And then it was also mechs only for the most part, with only Kochou Oni showing up, and Tekkou Oni too but only in 3.

To further show how DC was now the non-human faction in 4 (there's some big irony there), Koros actually gets the Balm to ally with DC by promising them a terraformed Mars to inhabit.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

56 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I guess for once they didn't want Japan to be super important? Still, it probably has to do that Gundam does dominate the spotlight in SRW 2 (and 3, for that matter). What with Bian operating from Jaburo, and the Zabis, future-Titans, and Crossbone Vanguard more or less providing much of the grunt force (and of course, the majority of the mechs). Japan likewise is also practically non-existent in UC Gundam. I don't think there's any work or part that has stuff happening there, though I could be wrong (and for its worth, Amuro is half-Japanese, even if he was likely born in the North American West Coast and grew up in Side 7).

-Leave it to the Origin of Real Robots to ditch Japan. Sounds like an intentional, delightful contrast to Super Robots making Japan the focal point time and again. (And I can't help but think how G Gundam has Neo Japan- Gundam's Super deviation.)😄

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If anything, if there's any important place in Asia in the UC World, it's the Himalayas area. Jaburo actually gets nuked by the Titans during Zeta Gundam (they were holding it, but when Karaba/AUEG stormed the place to liberate it, they placed a nuke inside as a trap), 

...Why does this sound like a moment for some Tomino carnage?🤔

so Lhasa becomes the Federation's main Headquarters afterwards. That said, in Char's Counterattack it gets destroyed when Char drops the Fifth Luna asteroid atop it. After that, I don't know what place served as the capital afterwards.

Lhasa, the capital of Tibet. Is the Roof of the World the safest place to govern from in a universe where falling space stations are potential hazard?🤔

Yep, it was a handy way to explain the lack of presence for any additions later on. Likely also to deal with the restrictions the Famicom provided in terms of how much they could add. Still, it could've been neat if you indeed had to fight all those other mechs under DC control. SRW 2 only did this with Grendizer, piloted by a fake Duke.

...Must've been an episode in the anime if SRWA did the same thing?

Well, he wasn't the leader, that was Jamitov Hymen.

-My mistake. The bad guy who mentally cripples the protagonist naturally sounds like the leader of the villain group.

As it is, we don't get to see much in-game. In the fourth to last scenario, you are fighting against Scirocco and then Shu shows up to say Bian had figured things out, and that Scirocco has been kicked out of DC. Shu then leaves,

Getting disowned by Shu.😏 Would he have been cold and expressionless delivering the news, or would he have put on his smug smirk? -Probably can't tell with the 8-bit portraits.

In 3, Scirocco and what forces loyal to him basically act like a wild card. An independent group not aligned to DC or the Inspectors. This is the first time he gets to pilot a Valsion Kai, as well. He would finally die here too. Remnants of his group do show up in 4, but at that point he's long dead.

I remember you mentioned that before/seeing it mentioned elsewhere online.

Or so we could think, but then the man himself would make a reappearance in F/FF. However, there is a sub-plot of the Guest dabbling with cloning technology, and it is mentioned that several Scirocco clones were made (though not all green lighted by the Guest themselves). So the Scirocco(s?) encountered in F/FF are clones. Since the Titans leaders only show up in 4/F/FF, the whole "they hire Scirocco but are suspicious of him" subplot only happens during F/FF. In Gundam, it's mostly because he's from Jupiter, but Classicverse also adds the whole "he betrayed the DC" and "isn't he supposed to be dead?" to add to the mistrust they have on him.

Zovorg is already heavily reliant on Bioroids (which in OG2 they claim is a sign of being more civilized- only savages commit many human lives to conflict), experimenting with a cloning program doesn't sound beyond them.

-Yet copying a nefarious Zeta dude does sound a little weird.😆

Still, it leaves a bit of a plot hole since... Gilgilgan is an alien life form. If the world still had it fresh in their minds, how was Bian fighting an uphill battle to prove aliens were real and a threat to Earth?

...Well SRW1 has no pilots showing up, so how much plot does it actually have?😅

-And any possible chance the gov't could feasibly throw together an official coverup by saying "just a rogue Mechabeast from Dr. Hell"? Mechabeasts look kinda organic. Gag order the heroes who saved the day, that's what happened to Captain Daitetsu and XO Sean after the Megillot encounter past Pluto.

Yeah, Char barely has any role in SRW 2, surprisingly. He even is only fightable once, if I recall. He seems to just... peace out. The only significance is that Lalah is with him, and you can recruit her. That's seems to be the extent of his role in the game. It would be in 3 where he'd finally have a significant role, yeah.

-The very first secret in all of SRW. Just to point it out, b/c she sure wouldn't be the last.😜

More or less. Though here it's more that a schism happens. Haman goes off on her own and creates Neo DC, using Mineva as a rallying figure to get the support of the Space Colonies, leaving DC itself just with their Earth-based forces. Neo DC is pretty much Neo Zeon, for all intents and purposes. It's just that since the Zabis apparently never established the Principality of Zeon in the Classicverse as they instead supported then took over DC, then... well, no Zeon, no way to have a Neo Zeon.

...Now that sounds strange, but the Classicverse is old and as you've said it wasn't until 4 that they began actually using the plots of licenses, so I forgive it.😉

Yeah, it's... strange. But I guess it's a way to give him something. Since apparently the other Meganoids don't show up in 4 (and in F/FF they're completely absent). It's just Zauser and Koros... which means it is mostly Koros doing all the work while Zauser catches some Z's. DC in 4 is also very... detached from what it used to have.

Haman seems to have taken most of the human elements with her (with the newly established Titans taking the rest), leaving DC with only Dr. Hell and his forces, the Mycenae (the Dark Emperor never shows up, it's mostly the Dark General supporting DC in both 3 and 4, and maybe F/FF too, though apparently a general that only showed up in the Mazinger movies also gets to appear in 4), Dinosaur Empire mechs (Emperor Gore never shows up in Classicverse, best I know, but as early in 2 DC had Dinosaur Empire mechs in their ranks, with Captain Radra as the only actual Dinosaur Empire character to show up, but only in 2), and Vega Empire mechs (the weirdest of the bunch since no Vega character shows up at all except for Naida in 3, so why DC has their mechs during 3 and 4? Though I guess it helps sell the whole "Zabis!DC was selling out to the aliens" subplot that causes Gato to leave them). DC also had Hyakki Empire support, but only in 2 and 3. And then it was also mechs only for the most part, with only Kochou Oni showing up, and Tekkou Oni too but only in 3.

To further show how DC was now the non-human faction in 4 (there's some big irony there), Koros actually gets the Balm to ally with DC by promising them a terraformed Mars to inhabit.

It's one thing when a charismatic leader dies, it's another when the charismatic leader who was holding together a coalition of self-interested human and nonhuman forces from unrelated anime in a game on a console where text storage limitations were a thing, dies.🤣

Oh what a mess this is!👏 And to think somebody in OGs2.5 said the DC was in a pitiful state when Lorenzo -the fourth supreme commander in like two-three years- took over. If only they could see the realms so close yet so far over the world walls!

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Leave it to the Origin of Real Robots to ditch Japan. Sounds like an intentional, delightful contrast to Super Robots making Japan the focal point time and again. (And I can't help but think how G Gundam has Neo Japan- Gundam's Super deviation.)😄

Well, the idea of Gundam is to focus on humanity as a whole and the conflicts between them. Makes sense to have multinational casts and for the plot to take place all over the world.

Though yes, they'd compensate with G Gundam in return. XD

...Why does this sound like a moment for some Tomino carnage?🤔

Surprisingly, casualties were quite minimum (from the nuclear explosion itself, at least). Since the bomb was discovered and then had to operate on a timer, thus giving time to make a full evacuation of the area.

Lhasa, the capital of Tibet. Is the Roof of the World the safest place to govern from in a universe where falling space stations are potential hazard?🤔

Evidently not.

...Must've been an episode in the anime if SRWA did the same thing?

Sounds like it. And that's basically all that Grendizer has in 2. Makes sense, since can't be showing the aliens just yet (and of course, Duke ain't telling just yet), but not even Maria and Hikaru show up. That wouldn't be until 3. Which makes you wonder why was Grendizer even added if it was literally only Duke, his fake, and Grendizer for representation. Just to hint how Bian was actually right? Then again, 2 also does this with Great Mazinger, where only the titular mech shows up. Not even Tetsuya does. Great simply acts as an upgrade for Koji.

Getting disowned by Shu.😏 Would he have been cold and expressionless delivering the news, or would he have put on his smug smirk? -Probably can't tell with the 8-bit portraits.

Haha, yeah. More so when it's just the one portrait, so not even more than one expression to switch to.

Zovorg is already heavily reliant on Bioroids (which in OG2 they claim is a sign of being more civilized- only savages commit many human lives to conflict), experimenting with a cloning program doesn't sound beyond them.

-Yet copying a nefarious Zeta dude does sound a little weird.😆

Well, he is a powerful Newtype, so perhaps there was potential in that.

Curiously, this whole clone plot (down to also Scirocco being among the ones cloned) would be reused with the Balmarians in Alpha 1. Though not much would come out of it, since unlike F/FF, once Scirocco dies he stays dead. No surprise clones showing up in later games.

...Well SRW1 has no pilots showing up, so how much plot does it actually have?😅

-And any possible chance the gov't could feasibly throw together an official coverup by saying "just a rogue Mechabeast from Dr. Hell"? Mechabeasts look kinda organic. Gag order the heroes who saved the day, that's what happened to Captain Daitetsu and XO Sean after the Megillot encounter past Pluto.

I guess it could work. A rogue incident is certainly easier to cover-up. That's one of the reasons why in Alphaverse Bian instead is believed. Much more going on to just pretend otherwise.

-The very first secret in all of SRW. Just to point it out, b/c she sure wouldn't be the last.😜

Oh yeah. I sometimes forget that Michiru in the Getter Q and the G-Armor were added to the Complete Box remake of Classicverse.

...Now that sounds strange, but the Classicverse is old and as you've said it wasn't until 4 that they began actually using the plots of licenses, so I forgive it.😉

Yeah, heh, the focus was certainly more in the original plots than actually using the licensed ones (beyond a few bits here and there). Though it would indeed lead to unorthodox decisions like the lack of Zeon as an organization, yeah.

It's one thing when a charismatic leader dies, it's another when the charismatic leader who was holding together a coalition of self-interested human and nonhuman forces from unrelated anime in a game on a console where text storage limitations were a thing, dies.🤣

Oh what a mess this is!👏 And to think somebody in OGs2.5 said the DC was in a pitiful state when Lorenzo -the fourth supreme commander in like two-three years- took over. If only they could see the realms so close yet so far over the world walls!

Indeed. DC post 3 was crumbling, hence why Haman and the future Titans leave it. If not for Zauser and Koros, the rest would've indeed dissolved altogether as well.

I see Grandia went the route of censoring out alcohol in localization. Sure, those are bottles of coffee. XD

Also, how curious, the HD edition actually released not in Japan first? At least for the Nintendo Switch port.

Battle system certainly looks dynamic. The fact the characters have a Movement stat for traversing the battle area but everything is still turn based esque makes me think of the Lunar games.

Okay, crossed the Marna Road into the Sult Ruins. Will stop here for today.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Alright Rotbart, time to take you down... again!

Gonna say, I'm not that much surprised to learn that Ursula's character designer was one of Macross Frontier's. That totally explains the whole idol sidequest. XD

It's all fun and games until they decide to go all Skynet...

Or they start shouting "Hey, listen!" Whichever happens first.

---

I know polls aren't the end-all of things (specially after 2016), but it's still wild to hear how the gaps are so relatively small in places like Alaska and Iowa...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I guess after several more Ecclesia runs it's finally time to return to the aptly named Dawn of Sorrow.

Sure, we have this big castle that we could place weapons and abilities in. But why don't we make EVERYTHING a random drop instead?
Except random food items, I suppose. Not like the game actually tells you how effective they are.

It's crazy to me that this game predates the age of microtransactions. It's basically the only way the design of this game would make any sense.
But no, the core of the game really is just entering the same room over and over and kill the exact same enemy in the exact same way every time.
No way to skip the grind. Heck, the Luck stat doesn't even work.

Just gotta think of Julius Mode. Everything will be fine once Julius Mode is unlocked.

How many states need to go to horny jail?

27 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

No mention of similar trends here, which is certainly the case.

I'll be worried when a general election happens, likely by the end of the year.

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's all fun and games until they decide to go all Skynet...

Is that a remix of Follow Me! from Sacred Stones in the photo montage?

12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

know polls aren't the end-all of things (specially after 2016), but it's still wild to hear how the gaps are so relatively small in places like Alaska and Iowa...

Though Trump is leading in Iowa, Harris, a woman of color, being that close in a state that is very white, I wonder what that says about the overall state of the race. She's only four points down, not even Biden was that close in 2020.

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

How many states need to go to horny jail?

-How many couples share a workplace? I wouldn't think the ROC would permit adultery/open relationships.

It's a problem the world over. I read earlier today that in the next decade, 300 million Chinese will age out of the workforce. A bit of a problem for the country that produces: 13 billion pairs of shoes per year, assembles 60% of the world's cell phones, 70% of the toys, and almost 80% of the solar panels, with the writer indicating that a majority of the world's electric cars will soon follow. Will automation be able to take over all the coming vacancies in the present-day factory of the globe?

2 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Guevara history lesson was not on my bingo today

Not the RevolutionaryxMaria Antonia (to use her German birth name) manga you pointed out eons ago?

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Though Trump is leading in Iowa, Harris, a woman of color, being that close in a state that is very white, I wonder what that says about the overall state of the race. She's only four points down, not even Biden was that close in 2020.

Obama did won the state twice, so time will tell...

3 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

it is that manga

When the Latin Lover charm overcomes the fear of Revolutions.

Gonna dance that Endless Waltz.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Falcom Dev's "make no mistake, Van is THE MC of Kai." 

Rean is in the game, and we know they are obsessed with him, so thats unlikely. Xd

Dev bias is too strong here. Lol

5 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Falcom Dev's "make no mistake, Van is THE MC of Kai." 

Rean is in the game, and we know they are obsessed with him, so thats unlikely. Xd

Dev bias is too strong here. Lol

ylr79oep69pd1.png?auto=webp&s=6beebff507

As sad and loathe i am to admit it, Haha is pretty much Mr. Trails at this point. They are probably hoping they can get peeps back with him because the Kuro games didn't do any good in japan and have a pretty bad reputation there. Van's card is pretty much burned, especially after Kuro 2

Edited by Codename Shrimp

God, so much Sorrow.

The Killer Clown just won't drop his soul. Killed dozens of these guys. But they just won't drop it.
And the Killer Clown soul is needed to reach Paranoia and bypass the anti-climax ending. One of the 3 souls that are arbitrarily needed to get through that hallway.

Why is Dawn of Sorrow like this? Why do I have to kill Killer Clowns until the game randomly decides I am allowed to progress?

So much grinding. So much backtracking. So much running through the same hallways over and over with that slowass movement speed.

There are souls that increase movement speed and give you a high jump. Would be really handy to get around faster.
But they can't be reached before Paranoia. In fact, they are placed right before the final boss. So they are effectively useless.
They basically just exist to taunt you. To remind you that making you waste so much time is a deliberate choice by the developers.
Just like that damn Soul Ring that costs 300.000. I currently have less than 50.000 gold. No way that thing can be reasonably gotten without hours upon hours of grinding.
Putting it in the shop is just a big troll move.

I'm reminded of how much flack Metroid Prime got for requiring you to collect the Chozo artifacts before you can reach the final boss. But like, those were gotten through actual exploration. Prime didn't make you kill dozens upon dozens of Elite Pirates, hoping for a 0.2% drop of an artifact.

Just why did Dawn of Sorrow always get away with this shit? Seriously.

Edited by BrightBow

4 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

ylr79oep69pd1.png?auto=webp&s=6beebff507

As sad and loathe i am to admit it, Haha is pretty much Mr. Trails at this point. They are probably hoping they can get peeps back with him because the Kuro games didn't do any good in japan and have a pretty bad reputation there. Van's card is pretty much burned, especially after Kuro 2

... The game is doomed. Ah well, at least theres always modding!