Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sidequest writing kinda fire after the first act....

speaking about writing, i love how everyone deservedly glazes Link lmao. The ultimate badass, truly.

Edited by Codename Shrimp

• Replies 180.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimp of the North

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

A little late into the ๐ŸŽƒย month, but I decided on an avi swap- Dark Boy Sabata. ...Though I never got to fighting the final boss in Boktai 2, nor playing Shin Bokura no Taiyo:ย Gyakushu no Sabata (October would be a good month for this -but I've higher priorities).๐Ÿ˜…ย And as the days are noticeably darkening now, I'll keep him through year's end.

ย 

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Man, has it really been that long? Didn't felt like it.

Release date of Nov 12, 2015 in Japan, yeah.

And as for one's perception of time, I'll say it doesn't take very long for the human mind to go from recounting the past in days/weeks/months, to an amorphous blob where everything blends together.โฐ๐Ÿ˜†

ย 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Project X Zone 3 babyyyyyy

Or maybe Monolith will spread its wings again.๐Ÿ˜›

-Doesn't matter to me what they go with. The company obviously enjoys making Xeno, but -presuming at least some of the 1st Production Team is assigned to it, not the 2nd/3rd Production Ninty IP support teams- giving the Xenoworkers a different project could possibly be holistically good for their brains. So I approve of whatever it might be.

If they've only now founded the R&D team, I'm guessing 2026 at the earliest for a non-Xeno title. Reading the article, it sounds like they're not making a new engine, but rather trying to expand on the already existing one, which they still don't consider finished? Or at least that the new engine Monado Engine will use the old engine Zohar Engine as a base and build on it.ย I think that's what they're saying?๐Ÿ˜…ย 

-Whatever the case, I have no idea how long it takes to develop a game engine. Nor how feasible it is to develop a game in an in-progress engine. And if the engine is to be shared with Xeno, maybe it'd be better, b/c whatever non-Xeno title comes to be will be overshadowed by Xeno in Monolith's catalogue anyhow (saying this from a Xeno-biased perspective), for this other game to test the waters. Let the non-Xeno game reveal the kinks in the new engine so that XC4 won't have those issues. (I'm presuming X2 will be the last title built in the old Zohar engine.) Then just wait until Breath of the Wild 3 is built in Monolith.

Just a little bit of Three Houses talk. First off I see the battle of Gronder field as one of the greatest failures in writing Claude. If the writers had even once heard of what a schemer was they would have written that Claude is luring Dimitri into throwing his army at Eledgard so that the Alliance can then finish off the survivors leaving both the Kingdom and Empire militarily weakened for the Alliance to rise to prominence. Instead Verdant Wind portrays it as Claude being too incompetent to know Dimitri is even leading the army that is flying his banner, and then accidentally murders the young mad king in the confusion. Heck if they even portrayed the assassination of Dimitri in the confusion as part of Claude's plan to keep the Kingdom from reviving I would have had more respect for the writing, but they play it off as if it were a tragic accident...

Also, I feel my opinion that Professor level should have never gotten above C rank all the more, as with 10 exploration points, that is starting to feel really pointless as my Supports cap (making tea parties less useful) and skills I care about outpacing students (and thus reducing my options for Advanced Drills), and with lost items gone, and with the other supplies you find around feeling kind of useless at this point, exploring is feeling rather empty to go through the motions with. Having three battles per week instead is just plain exhausting, and caused me to run out of paralogues already, which is going to negatively impact my opinion of objective variety, plus it is adding to repeated map fatigue as I recognize the maps I keep going through (heck I recognized a paralogue map as one I regularly did as a generic battle before...). I might have to take a break from this run a little early, as I am starting to feel some potential burnout resentment already...we will see, I might just power through these last...wait let me double check...sigh, five more chapters to go. Legitimately, if this was 5 exploration points and 1 battle, it would not be this bad, but 10 and 3 is just draining.

Edit: Even more evidence that Crimson Flower is the best route, as this would be the last chapter in that case, which would be the perfect length for the way this game was actually made...

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

speaking about writing, i love how everyone deservedly glazes Link lmao. The ultimate badass, truly.

This + the fact that Zelda was only kidnapped like last week makes it pretty funny to think about.

Like saving Zelda was just something that happened and not (part of) his original intended goal like in most games.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

they've only now founded the R&D team, I'm guessing 2026 at the earliest for a non-Xeno title.

They might've had something else in the works and this is future proofing but you're probably right.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This + the fact that Zelda was only kidnapped like last week makes it pretty funny to think about.

Like saving Zelda was just something that happened and not (part of) his original intended goal like in most games.

Saving the world is just his side job xD

The way the game treats him is very similar to how the fanbase does lolol

Wish Zelda spoke tho

I suppose it is rather interesting how the prologue frames this as the typical final showdown between Link and Ganon, just to down the line reveal that the circumstances behind this encounter were a lot more mundane.
I doubt there is a real significance to this, though.

Although it does most certainly say a lot about Link that his final act wasn't to try and save "Princess Zelda" but to instead save this random girl he just meet.

Edited by BrightBow

Why do European homes have the light switch for the bathrooms *outside* of the bathroom?

Not all of them mind you but I'm visiting a family member here in Leeds and this isย not the first time I've encountered this.

Edited by Armagon

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Why do European homes have the light switch for the bathrooms *outside* of the bathroom?

Not all of them mind you but I'm visiting a family member here in Leeds and this isย not the first time I've encountered this.

Let people know itโ€™s occupied maybe?

Is there a little light on the switch that comes on when you flip it? Aint seen that in quite a few years though

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I thought they always have a light.

Not typically, least not here in the States

Seen em before, but they been few and far betweenย 

Alright, made it out of the ruins. Will stop for now before heading to Herb Mountains.

Gonna say, the three Garlyle Generals remind me of the Rayearth girls. Well, just a little.

20 hours ago, Armagon said:

ย 

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

IMG20241009131945.jpg?ex=6707ce78&is=670

ย 

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/10/square-enix-announces-strategy-rpg-emberstoria-for-ios-android-and-pc

-SRPG, Kozaki as artist, a word for small things on fire in the name. Not feeling so original today, are you Square?๐Ÿ˜›ย It'll be EoS in a year.

--

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/reaction-a-little-device-that-makes-sounds-in-sync-to-movements-on-the-bed-oh-nintendo

-I swear I did not write this headline.๐Ÿ˜ย Can't wait for the modders to add additional tracks and VA clips as suits their moods.

ย 

--

Anywho, got back to Etrian Odyssey Nexus yesterday, ironically only after ditching the Masurao avi. No longer exactly feeling the overlong burnout, I 6-turned the boss I stopped in front of, and then almost lost to another boss today. I still want to finish this game so that I can play it again from the start with a new team.ย I haven't forgotten XC3. Though the unapproachable veils of gameplay and physical world I had most coarsely pulled back weeks ago, the narrative/presentation shrouds still feel imposing to me. Maybe I should play undocked, turn off the VA volume, and mute the game during cutscenes,ย limiting the story/character experience to the written dialogue alone, which is the most important part. Ease in like that.

ooooooofffffffffff

Also ooooffff on my disappearance I guess ๐Ÿ˜›

58 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I have go to say, playing Foreign Land and Sky back to back with Forgotten Hero was a bit shocking, as both paralogues (that unlock at the same time I might add) use the same god damn map. Three Houses at least had the shame to try and disguise it by putting the starting points on the opposite sides of the map, drowning Forgotten Hero in fog, and trying to get you to talk about how meticulously engineered Foreign Land and Sky is to be the worst possible example of a map that changes objectives. At least with other map repeats (so far) they have had excuses like this is a generic battle where the series have always recycled maps for (side note getting three of those at max Professor Level was already making me feel the map repetition a bit already), or this is taking place in the same place so the repeat makes sense, but this just feels a bit insulting. I remember the maps getting repeated too much, but I thought that was mostly the burnout of playing each route back to back talking, but this is just too egregious to ignore. If they at least spaced them out in time (like have one be a part 1 paralogue, or at least not unlocked them at the same god damned time) I might have convinced myself that it was deja vu or something...

I do also feel that Claude is a more cowardly Edelgard, as he wanted a similar sort of mix up that would require a similar amount of bloodshed, but wasn't willing to dirty his hands by getting the process started like she was. I guess the Empire was better equipped than the Alliance to get things started, but his critiques of her sound really insincere as he talks about similar ideals that would require uniting the continent all the same.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Just a few little Three Houses note this time. Judith not being a recruit is one of the dumbest things in this route so far, and if I didn't know any better I would think it was because she picked up a pile of those death flags Jeralt was collecting for fun, as at least then it would have made a little bit of sense not to get her. Next chapter in Claude actually had his first scheme, using an off screen army to distract Gloucester so we can reach the janky looking questionably functional bridge without fighting them. Sure its baby's first scheme, but at least they showed it this time. Also I appreciate seeing Acheron again, he has very Erik from Elibe energy to him, and seeing a continuity of character from a part one paralogue is something I appreciate. Another random thing is I like how Flayn has to cutoff the Saint beasts before they can call her by name, it is kind of funny.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Just a little bit of Three Houses talk. First off I see the battle of Gronder field as one of the greatest failures in writing Claude. If the writers had even once heard of what a schemer was they would have written that Claude is luring Dimitri into throwing his army at Eledgard so that the Alliance can then finish off the survivors leaving both the Kingdom and Empire militarily weakened for the Alliance to rise to prominence. Instead Verdant Wind portrays it as Claude being too incompetent to know Dimitri is even leading the army that is flying his banner, and then accidentally murders the young mad king in the confusion. Heck if they even portrayed the assassination of Dimitri in the confusion as part of Claude's plan to keep the Kingdom from reviving I would have had more respect for the writing, but they play it off as if it were a tragic accident...

Also, I feel my opinion that Professor level should have never gotten above C rank all the more, as with 10 exploration points, that is starting to feel really pointless as my Supports cap (making tea parties less useful) and skills I care about outpacing students (and thus reducing my options for Advanced Drills), and with lost items gone, and with the other supplies you find around feeling kind of useless at this point, exploring is feeling rather empty to go through the motions with. Having three battles per week instead is just plain exhausting, and caused me to run out of paralogues already, which is going to negatively impact my opinion of objective variety, plus it is adding to repeated map fatigue as I recognize the maps I keep going through (heck I recognized a paralogue map as one I regularly did as a generic battle before...). I might have to take a break from this run a little early, as I am starting to feel some potential burnout resentment already...we will see, I might just power through these last...wait let me double check...sigh, five more chapters to go. Legitimately, if this was 5 exploration points and 1 battle, it would not be this bad, but 10 and 3 is just draining.

Edit: Even more evidence that Crimson Flower is the best route, as this would be the last chapter in that case, which would be the perfect length for the way this game was actually made...

ย 

ย 

ย  Concession coffee

Spoiler

Yeah, that's far from the only example. The reuse of maps isn't exactly subtle in 3H, you see it throughout obviously but once you realise with Forgotten Hero it seems particularly so. It's something that there's at least an attempt in the other elements to differentiate, but frankly it's arguably too little too late. Not helped that Foreign Land and Sky is a bullshitter.

I'm not going to pretend I have the full dialogue for Claude to mind, but I probably would concede the point on this and that's the best I can give at the moment. I'd suspect there's a fear of making him more flawed by doing so? Which unfortunate if true.

It's a real problem with 3H as a whole that there's pretty much no recruitment in Part II. I think there's enough NPCs that could be made playable in most of the routes in my opinion, hell we can still get units like Rodrigue killed while making them playable. I can only assume the Myrddin Bridge was built on a small island at that turn. The real trick is just how wide the bridge is and with the fortifications on it, that's the kind of bridge I'd expect out of the 1800s at earliest. As for Acheron and Judith, to remark on the thought I had for Part II recruitments, I like the idea Acheron would join fawningly and turn on you around here.

Gronder may be one of the maps I like the most in 3H, but once again Claude as schemer is underutilised for Edelgard to meme Bernie into fire yet again. And I think it implies that Dimitri's killed by Adrestian forces? Whatever, missed chance.

I wonder where the decisions were to go for these numbers for points. Some method of boosting Seminars would have been a very helpful balance for all this at the same time, but no luck here. Also, I recall staff still being able to teach Byleth for skills, which is nice for getting Byleth a variety of classes, which if that's what you want doesn't hurt I guess. Yeah, I delayed the use of paralogues, but that's also because I was using too many units. So I kinda used the skirmishes as much as I could. Yeah, I was not quick with Part II, ever in fairness but maddening was especially so.

I know I feel mixed about CF's length, but it's something I won't critique on the length of knowing that the Professor points are...... not balanced.

8 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, fortunately for you, the recording is still available!

(I am so sorry for becoming a shill)

And no worries of course! I just kind of dropped in here without any warning and just said "LISTEN TO ME", so...

Don't worry about being a shill for something you have been an active part of like this.

I'd say you were more like this.

8 hours ago, Benice said:

I do need to do that, but I'm so busy that I have like nothing to contribute ever...

Sometimes that happens. I've been dealing with some shit the last few days and I haven't wanted to make a whole thing of it.

7 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Now, Im finding myself doin that again, but more because the wife snores ๐Ÿ˜

ย I feel a little bad for you on this, mostly because of the difficulty in being able to sleep together.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG20241008120206.jpg?ex=670672b0&is=670

Interesting.....

Yeah, the international fast food chains do that pretty often here too.

By that I mean point this out.

4 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

I just learned today about "Seastanding"...

what the rich will do to not pay taxes or give worker protections....

Plenty of them have been doing stuff like this for a while, I remember Sealand.

And more recent stuff like the people who tried that shit in Thailand's waters and got cleared out for it.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'd have presumed it better not to risk there being outlets in a room where a lot of water might end up getting at it myself, with a similar if lesser principle applying to switches.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/10/square-enix-announces-strategy-rpg-emberstoria-for-ios-android-and-pc

-SRPG, Kozaki as artist, a word for small things on fire in the name. Not feeling so original today, are you Square?๐Ÿ˜›ย It'll be EoS in a year.

That's some mobile gaming for you. SE need to slow down.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/reaction-a-little-device-that-makes-sounds-in-sync-to-movements-on-the-bed-oh-nintendo

-I swear I did not write this headline.๐Ÿ˜ย Can't wait for the modders to add additional tracks and VA clips as suits their moods.

What a name, Alarmo. There's no way it's not the same person who said Amiibo.

As to the movements, If it doesn't have an option to make Link grunts to those movements they're leaving money on the table

48 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You had me excited until I realized it was a gacha... Dang. Triangle Strategy 2 when, Square?

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'd have presumed it better not to risk there being outlets in a room where a lot of water might end up getting at it myself, with a similar if lesser principle applying to switches.

I was thinking Europeans might wanted a way annoy to people who take too long in the bathroom.๐Ÿ˜‘ Although I'm sure whoever tries turning the lights off on someone else in a windowless bathroom will get nothing but an angry retort -no accelerated lavatory eviction.

17 minutes ago, Dayni said:

What a name, Alarmo. There's no way it's not the same person who said Amiibo.

The same person who named Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo?

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

As to the movements, If it doesn't have an option to make Link grunts to those movements they're leaving money on the table

...Did you read my mind?๐Ÿ˜†

ย 

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Triangle Strategy 2 when, Square?

Whenever Tomoya Asano feels like it. Square presently favors the Bravely-Octopath-Triangle producer (and they threw the LaL and DQI-III remakes to him), so I can see Square green lighting Triangle Strategy 2- Scalene Scramble.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I feel a little bad for you on this, mostly because of the difficulty in being able to sleep together.

ย 

No need for that. Appreciate the sentiment though

It happens to the best of us sometimes. If she aint snorin she's kickin me Lol ๐Ÿ˜

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

IMG20241009131945.jpg?ex=6707ce78&is=670

Gettin around, aint'cha?

Always wanted to visit Scotland and maybe see some castles