Ask The Above Poster Something You Want To Learn About Them

Randoman

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

How did you get in to Zelda?

If you ask me what my first Zelda game was, I'd tell you Skyward Sword. Well, technically the first Zelda game I ever played was Ocarina of Time on the Wii VC, but I played so little of it that i can barely count it as my first. That same year (2011), based on my experience with Ocarina, I pre-ordered SS and loved every bit of it. Although I don't love the game like I used to (it's a good game, but far from great), I do have nostalgia for it as the first Zelda game I played a significant amount of. Kind of rambling, but yeah, that's it.

How 'bout you?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do you go to the pool (at least in the summer)?

19 hours ago, Benice said:

Do you think that strong characters or strong worldbuilding are more important to a story?

I would lean more towards strong characters since they're typically the focus of most stories, but both are important in their own ways. 

Why is your favorite fe your favorite?

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

How 'bout you?

I started with the Ocarina of Time remake on the 3ds (I think I was 9), from my mom as a gift game that was purchased because Zelda was popular when my mom was a kid so she hoped it would still be good. Well I got to the Great Deku tree, specifically that room with the water puzzle where you have to push the block and climb on top of it after swimming to the other side, and thought it was incredibly boring and stopped playing.

Well a bit later, I want to say maybe a couple months, I picked the game up again for some unknown reason (probably extreme boredom), started a new file and absolutely loved it. I don’t know what caused the change. I got stuck in Jabbu Jabbu’s (idk if that’s how you spell it) belly though, and my brother either told me how to get past it or did it for me, I’m not sure. But either way, I got through! And proceeded to get stuck in the forest temple and never progress xD (I picked up the game aGaIn when I was 11 and was actually smart enough to beat the whole thing this time. I also got all the heart containers this run, and it was where I realized I had the completionist bug.)

When looking up/trying to find funny youtube videos, what kind of humour/genres do you go for?

23 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

How did you develop this skill?

I'll answer this through PM, since I don't want my name creation methods and some of my better original character names being taken.

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

What’s your SECOND favorite food? Creativity

Fish pie! Sounds gross, but it's super tasty.

Same question to you.

7 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Favorite fe class?

Pegasus Knight. I was very happy when Fates removed the gender-lock. Echoes' Bow Knight is second favorite.

-------

Most frustrating moment when you were playing?

12 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Most frustrating moment when you were playing?

Either

• Path of Radiance in its entirety. Just was a completely not fun experience for me. Boring, slow, uninteresting. My least favorite game ever, actually
  • Getting a switch exclusively to play TH and it ending up being disappointing was quite frustrating to me
  • The ambush spawns in Three Houses Hard. I know one of them was a range trigger that happened to occur on the last move of my phase, but the other one...I don't know why they reinforced. It happened in the middle of enemy phase, not the beginning. Like, several units had already attacked when they showed up and moved.  Maybe a glitch?

Which FE do you want remade the most?

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Which FE do you want remade the most?

Genealogy of the Holy War.

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

Either

• Path of Radiance in its entirety. Just was a completely not fun experience for me. Boring, slow, uninteresting. My least favorite game ever, actually
  • Getting a switch exclusively to play TH and it ending up being disappointing was quite frustrating to me

A funny thing: something similar happened to me. I bought a Wii to play the Tellius games (and other games, but I was going to play FE first), but I was disappointed with PoR. It just so happens that, in addition to not having played in RD yet, I also haven't played any other games I wanted. Maybe in the future I will feel like playing Zelda or No More Heroes.

-------

My creativity is high: which FE do you want remade the most?

2 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Maybe in the future I will feel like playing Zelda or No More Heroes.

[Skyward Sword intesifies]

2 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

My creativity is high: which FE do you want remade the most?

FE6, since I think it doesn't need much to be superb. Just some polish and buffing of hitrates, Combat arts and the like if they must and it's good to go!

Who is your favorite gen 2 character in FE4?

26 minutes ago, Benice said:

o is your favorite gen 2 character in FE4?

On 10/11/2020 at 8:41 PM, Maof06 said:

Ares, the True Black Knight. Carried Gen 2 for me.

------

Opinions about Roy?

8 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Radiant Dawn for combining the excellent cast and world building of the previous game with the most unique map designs and best gameplay in the series. Tbh, the only gripe I have with the game is the lack of support conversations. Everything else is so well done though. Combat animations are snappy, difficulty is perfect, gameplay variety is on point, music is stellar, etc. It was an amazing experience from beginning to end.

-----

Same question to you.

17 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

The lack of depth or any meaningful plot points, as well as shallow characters.

The Champions themselves (the main characters other than Link and Zelda) were largely one-note tropes or archetypes.

Revali - smug jackass

Mipha - "notice me senpai"

Daruk - Raphael (FE)

Urbosa - attractive mother figure, Titania-esque, but less interesting

And their descendants were generally just as underdeveloped.

Sidon - overly enthusiastic optimist

Riju - little girl leader

Yunobo - afraid of everything, like Bernadetta, but without a real reason to be so

Teba - stoic type, dry as powder

Beyond those characters, there's essentially a handful of other characters who are distinct enough to be memorable, and even they are barely deeper than surface-level.

-------------

The plot itself is the same recycled story of "hero fights evil to save princess," except simplified even more. Backstory for each of the main characters is there, but it's almost exclusively conveyed through text, rarely showing that backstory and development. It leaves the player wanting to actually see these characters have meaningful interactions instead of just hearing about it. Couple that with the fact that the protagonist is an even more bland piece of driftwood than in most games and you have one of the least engaging plots of any Zelda game. The only character who has any worthwhile development is Zelda herself. Her backstory is actually compelling, but it's hardly enough to carry the story for such a massive game.

And the ending, quite frankly, can barely be called an ending at all. It's an ending in the sense that the game ends there, but that's it. You get a short cutscene with Zelda, but it just cuts to the credits right after. We don't get to see Hyrule get rebuilt, the other characters interacting...nothing. It's incredibly disappointing to have one of the best gameplay experiences I've ever played have such a low-effort story. Sorry if this sounded like a rant, but I'm annoyed with Ninty more than anything for wasted potential.

I love Breath of the Wild. It was a world I could immerse myself into during a rough time in my life. But if it's world and gameplay weren't so excellent, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anywhere else the game excels.

Thank you for the detailed explanation! ^^

I put great stock into characters in games, and bad characters can break a game for me harder than bad gameplay or a bad story (depends on the gameplay, of course), so I can definitely see why all of this would bother you so much.

19 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Who is your favorite character from your least favorite fe?

Spoiler

525767bff433e5d6635d4173555c80c2.png

This girl

---

Favorite song from a game you've never played?

25 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Favorite song from a game you've never played?

Toss-up between Voltage from MegaNep, Run for Your Life from Mana Khemia, or Floral Rainfall from NoA.

I'm not indecisive. Nope, not me! xD

Same question to you.

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Toss-up between Voltage from MegaNep, Run for Your Life from Mana Khemia, or Floral Rainfall from NoA.

Top tier taste right here.

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Same question to you.

Undecided between Battlefield - Tyranny of Howling Rage from 7th Dragon 2020, Sakura's Theme from Fate/Extra CCC, or Male Roar from Dynasty Warriors 7.
As you can see, I'm just as indecisive. XD

---

Because we talked about it in the chat thread: Have you ever played a Pokémon game?

21 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Because we talked about it in the chat thread: Have you ever played a Pokémon game?

Yes. I downloaded SoulSilver (I had heard from a Pokemon fan that that was one of the best, supposedly) a while back and played for a while just to try it, and quit because I got annoyed with how the game felt like it moved at a snail's pace. The actual fighting itself seemed like standard RPG fare and didn't impress me, tbh.

------

Since I ranted about Ninty, do you feel like expressing your gripes with GF and Pokemon as a series? I'm all ears, if so.

If not, here's a different question.

Who is your favorite side character in a game?

That question might be a bit too broad, but I'm not sure how else to ask it.

Which fe have you played through the most?

12 hours ago, Randoman said:

When looking up/trying to find funny youtube videos, what kind of humour/genres do you go for?

I don’t really search for funny YouTube videos, I usually A.) pick whatever looks cool on my recommended, B.) find them while watch videos on a topic (like a certain video game) or C.) go to a channel that I know makes a lot of funny content.

What are some of your favorite pastimes?

16 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

On 9/9/2020 at 9:52 PM, indigoasis said:

That's an excellent question, actually. My reasoning as for why it's my favorite is that without Gaiden, we wouldn't have gotten Shadows of Valentia, which I absolutely adore. Technically SoV would be my favorite, but Gaiden also has broken warp strats, which Echoes nerfed, so that's a point in Gaiden's favor, haha.

10 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Same question to you.

First of all, my favorite is 4, but I put Awakening in my profile. Stories where the central point is placed in personal relationships, such as friends or family, are my favorites. I also like to take my time creating super units, so I don't care if the game is broken, after all, there's no kill like overkill. Regarding Awakening, I think it receives a lot of undeserved hate, and sometimes that hate is directed at the game's fans as well, so I always come at its defense.

-------

Why is your least favorite FE your least favorite?
Edited by Maof06

7 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yes. I downloaded SoulSilver (I had heard from a Pokemon fan that that was one of the best, supposedly) a while back and played for a while just to try it, and quit because I got annoyed with how the game felt like it moved at a snail's pace. The actual fighting itself seemed like standard RPG fare and didn't impress me, tbh.

One of the problems of the 4th generation is its slowness. Try Black / White or X / Y. The combat is the same however.

How do you feel about the criticism levied at fe4? Do you agree with it and yet not mind it or disagree? (Like too large maps, unfairly punishing, etc)

3 hours ago, indigoasis said:

What are some of your favorite pastimes?

Oh no... the dreaded question... uhhhh fe obviously, but other games too, and movies and TV, and YouTube, and a bit of light reading and... really nothing athletic or artistic... sorry XP

16 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Why is your least favorite FE your least favorite?

My least favorite FE game is probably either FE4 or FE6. I mostly dislike FE4 because of the map size, slow pace of the game, and boring map objectives. But the lack of characterization for most of the cast is a negative in my mind as well. I dislike FE6 for its ambush spawns, wonky hit rates, and the fact that most of the cast is largely dead weight as units. Both games would benefit greatly from Echoes-style remakes, in my opinion.

Although I'd prefer to see Mystery of the Emblem Books 1 and 2 get the Echoes treatment first, tbh.

--------

What is your favorite genre of music?

Why would you rather Mystery of the Emblem get remade first?

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

What is your favorite genre of music?

I don’t really have one, the only music I listen to regularly is video game music, heh heh

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

Why would you rather Mystery of the Emblem get remade first?

Because I genuinely love the Archanea games. Shadow Dragon and New Mystery are okay, but I'd love to see full voice acting, new character designs, the works. The gameplay is solid enough that it probably doesn't need changed though. Man, Yuri Lowenthal voicing Marth would be awesome.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

I don’t really have one, the only music I listen to regularly is video game music, heh heh

Mostly the same for me as well.

Spoiler

LISTEN TO EARTH WIND AND FIRE

Least favorite aspect of your favorite Fire Emblem game?

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

How do you feel about the criticism levied at fe4? Do you agree with it and yet not mind it or disagree? (Like too large maps, unfairly punishing, etc)

I can honestly understand why someone might feel overwhelmed when playing for the first time, but that doesn't bother me. You can literally save at every turn and come back later if you feel bored or can't play any longer. I disagree with the notion that its unfairly punishing, its pretty easy and problably the most beginner friendly Kaga FE. People are not joking when they say that Gen 1 gameplay is Sigurd kills everyone while the rest visits the villages.

-------

What is your opinion about Kris?