Ask The Above Poster Something You Want To Learn About Them

Randoman

23 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Why have you not played many more games other than fe and Zelda?

I'm just not much of a gamer. I usually prefer to do more outdoorsy stuff. (Heck, I started playing FE last november!) Until the pandemic, I never had time to play video games, nor did I really want to. Now that life's starting again, I presume that it'll return to that.

I am very unique. Do you have any pets?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any guilty pleasures, in terms of video games/TV shows/movies/etc. that you like?

2 hours ago, Maof06 said:
Do you have any pets?

On 9/27/2020 at 4:38 PM, Randoman said:

I never had any pets personally, but my parents used to have 2 birds named Cheepy and Ivy (an orange bird and a yellow bird, respectively. I don't know their species) decades ago. One of my younger brothers used to have a pet beta (a dark red fish), though it died 3-5 months after he first got it.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Do you have any pets?

I have 2 cats.

-------

Last movie you watched?

Do you have any allergies? (That you’re comfortable sharing)

8 hours ago, Randoman said:

How did you and your girlfriend first meet, and how did you reach the point of being girlfriend and boyfriend? You can skip this question if it's too personal.

Ahahahahaha! Tbh, we first met because I was trying to set her up with my other friend since I was pretty sure they liked each other. I know I know, I’m a devout follower of the bro code as you can tell 😂 Well I guess it turns out my old friend has great taste in girls because we ended up having similar interests and she ended up being super chill (and cute >.<) and we hit it off super well. The whole getting them together thing sort of fell stagnant, and eventually she said her feelings for him were gone (I only ever got her to admit her secret crush, my friend would not (actions speak louder than words though!)) but we remains good friends obviously, as friends do. We would talk a lot, both in person while waiting outside of our shared classes, and in the mornings before classes, I eventually made it a habit of visiting her every morning in her homeroom, we would usually walk downstairs and get breakfast together too. It was during this period of time that a lot of kids started to notice and were like “You guys would be so cute together!” “Are y’all dating?” “(Sooks) likes you!” (to her) or “(Sooks’ gf) likes you!” (to me) and we sort of teased each other that the other person liked us (jokingly- I think, I’m honestly still not sure xD) so naturally we never particularly minded what people would say. Even after this when school was closed due to the pandemic we would meetup and go on walks around our neighborhood semi-often, since we were only a street away from each other (I even went to her house one time to listen to her (amazingly) play piano but that’s a story for another day). So yeah, this rather close friendship just naturally developed into romance I suppose. I know that’s a lot of build up for what is basically just “and then it happened” but that is often how these things go. Is that a good enough answer?

1 hour ago, Benice said:

(Heck, I started playing FE last november!)

and you’re already an elitist?? How??

46 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Do you have any guilty pleasures, in terms of video games/TV shows/movies/etc. that you like?

Kids shows, (All hail king Julien, Peguins of Madagascar, the really terrible pac-man one, etc.) bad movies/TV shows, (Ratatoing, the Special Friends trilogy/Kazoo kid trilogy, What's up, the Cat in the Hat movie, etc.) are basically all I watch. I think the guilty pleasure is NOT watching movies geared more towards people my age-I am a real softy, so basically all I can watch comfortably is PG-10 or younger. (Fun fact, Three Houses is the only game with blood that I've ever played.)

Are there any "So bad it's good" movies/ TV shows you like?

What are you most afraid of, in regards to university/college/adult life in general?

41 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Ahahahahaha! Tbh, we first met because I was trying to set her up with my other friend since I was pretty sure they liked each other. I know I know, I’m a devout follower of the bro code as you can tell 😂 Well I guess it turns out my old friend has great taste in girls because we ended up having similar interests and she ended up being super chill (and cute >.<) and we hit it off super well. The whole getting them together thing sort of fell stagnant, and eventually she said her feelings for him were gone (I only ever got her to admit her secret crush, my friend would not (actions speak louder than words though!)) but we remains good friends obviously, as friends do. We would talk a lot, both in person while waiting outside of our shared classes, and in the mornings before classes, I eventually made it a habit of visiting her every morning in her homeroom, we would usually walk downstairs and get breakfast together too. It was during this period of time that a lot of kids started to notice and were like “You guys would be so cute together!” “Are y’all dating?” “(Sooks) likes you!” (to her) or “(Sooks’ gf) likes you!” (to me) and we sort of teased each other that the other person liked us (jokingly- I think, I’m honestly still not sure xD) so naturally we never particularly minded what people would say. Even after this when school was closed due to the pandemic we would meetup and go on walks around our neighborhood semi-often, since we were only a street away from each other (I even went to her house one time to listen to her (amazingly) play piano but that’s a story for another day). So yeah, this rather close friendship just naturally developed into romance I suppose. I know that’s a lot of build up for what is basically just “and then it happened” but that is often how these things go. Is that a good enough answer?

That was more than good enough, thanks!! I'm glad you went into so much detail. That's a really sweet story.

45 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Last movie you watched?

Ergh... if you really must know... it was the My Little Pony (2017) movie, which I watched just yesterday. I enjoyed it, though based on what everyone else was saying about it and the implications that the TV series gave, I thought the story was headed in a different direction (specifically, I thought the hippogriffs would play a much bigger role. Not that I was disappointed in that fact, though).

1 minute ago, Randoman said:

What are you most afraid of, in regards to university/college/adult life in general?

Failing, living marginally and being alone. I always fear that I'll not live up to my expectations, won't make it into a good university, will flunk, etc.. I don't think that I'm the kind of person who can succeed in life most of the time, since none of my skills have really amounted to anything, and my attention span for things is about six months, tops. The farthest I ever got with a personal project was a book that is presently at 250 pages. I still really wanna finish it and get it published, but I never work on it...

Who is your favorite FE character?

On 10/12/2020 at 12:24 AM, twilitfalchion said:

What did you think of Luke's character in Tales of the Abyss?

Sorry it took so long to answer this one. I am bad at questions. >.<

You know I hate the asshole character, and Luke definitely fits that mold for the first third of the game or so, so the natural outcome would be that I absolutely hate the guy... but somehow, I really can't bring myself to do so. His character is fascinating to me, because for one, it is rather brave to make a protagonist an almost unlikeable, egotistical asshole, on the other hand, it makes sense for him to be that way, because he's been sheltered and spoiled all his life, and knows nothing of the outside world or human interaction (on equal grounds anyway).
And it is repeatedly shown that his kindness that comes out later (after his Big Incident) doesn't come out of nowhere, but always existed, he just had a hard time showing it, meaning he isn't even all asshole all the time. You can see sparks of a good person from him on occasion. 
Not to mention, his egotism comes back to bite him in the ass... very much so (unlike many others of his kind). And from there, he genuinely tries (and manages) to improve himself (although he develops a massive self-loathing as a result).

And SPOILERS!

Spoiler

being a Replica of the real Luke (Asch, who, as a result, gets his own fascinating character arc), he is only seven years old by the time the game begins, and no one in his group understands (or even knows) this and treats him like he looks: a 17 year-old young adult, which he very clearly is not.

So, while Luke is a character that I by all rights should dislike, I can't due to the context of his behavior and the way the story utilizes it.
Being voiced by Yuri Lowenthal helps too, of course. XD

---

If you're fine with answering this: what is your book about?

9 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Do you have any allergies? (That you’re comfortable sharing)

None that I know of.

-------

Favorite genre of a work (be it a movie, an anime, etc.)?

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Sorry it took so long to answer this one. I am bad at questions. >.<

Nw! 👍

You know I hate the asshole character, and Luke definitely fits that mold for the first third of the game or so, so the natural outcome would be that I absolutely hate the guy... but somehow, I really can't bring myself to do so. His character is fascinating to me, because for one, it is rather brave to make a protagonist an almost unlikeable, egotistical asshole, on the other hand, it makes sense for him to be that way, because he's been sheltered and spoiled all his life, and knows nothing of the outside world or human interaction (on equal grounds anyway).
And it is repeatedly shown that his kindness that comes out later (after his Big Incident) doesn't come out of nowhere, but always existed, he just had a hard time showing it, meaning he isn't even all asshole all the time. You can see sparks of a good person from him on occasion. 
Not to mention, his egotism comes back to bite him in the ass... very much so (unlike many others of his kind). And from there, he genuinely tries (and manages) to improve himself (although he develops a massive self-loathing as a result).

And SPOILERS!

Reveal hidden contents

being a Replica of the real Luke (Asch, who, as a result, gets his own fascinating character arc), he is only seven years old by the time the game begins, and no one in his group understands (or even knows) this and treats him like he looks: a 17 year-old young adult, which he very clearly is not.

So, while Luke is a character that I by all rights should dislike, I can't due to the context of his behavior and the way the story utilizes it.

Tbh, the biggest reason I dropped the game a while back was because of how obnoxious his character was. I'm not typically so petty as to stop playing a game because of a single character, but it kind of killed most of the scenes he was in, and said character being the main protag didn't help. But I may need to pick that back up at some point if that change is really worth continuing for. I'd like to at least give the game a fair shake.

Being voiced by Yuri Lowenthal helps too, of course. XD

True. Probably my favorite male VA. He did an amazing job as Spider-Man in the PS4 game, from what I've listened to of it.

He also voices Doug in RF4.

--------

Any bad movies or TV shows you enjoy despite how bad they are?

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

If you're fine with answering this: what is your book about?

Oh boy...

Well, it's a fairly generic fantasy book set on a fairly generic fantasy world, with magic and dragons and stuff like that. It's kinda dumb tbh, but it's basically about an island where the outcasts go, built by slaves who escaped an empire thousands of years before the book starts. The main character is an orphan who sails the oceans, looking for his purpose in life. He eventually finds the island I mentioned earlier, and makes his home there. Stuff happens, and eventually a big war breaks out, so main character and co. save the world, etc.

...It's pretty bad.

I am much creativity. Any bad movies or TV shows you enjoy despite how bad they are?

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

What’s your favorite color? I’m so original and creative

Blue!
It was largely the reason I picked the Blue Lions.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tbh, the biggest reason I dropped the game a while back was because of how obnoxious his character was. I'm not typically so petty as to stop playing a game because of a single character, but it kind of killed most of the scenes he was in, and said character being the main protag didn't help. But I may need to pick that back up at some point if that change is really worth continuing for. I'd like to at least give the game a fair shake.

Hey, no sweat! I dropped a game because of a character before, too.
Although I do consider myself rather petty. XD

I'd say his change works and makes the hours of "oh my god, what an ass!" worth the trouble, but I don't blame you for dropping the game because of him.

True. Probably my favorite male VA. He did an amazing job as Spider-Man in the PS4 game, from what I've listened to of it.

And he does Sasuke in the English dub of Naruto, as well as one voice for Male Corrin (which used to be my go-to for him for the obvious reasons).
And yeah, he is very talented, definitely!

He also voices Doug in RF4.

Nice! 👍

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Well, it's a fairly generic fantasy book set on a fairly generic fantasy world, with magic and dragons and stuff like that. It's kinda dumb tbh, [...]

...It's pretty bad.

I feel called out. XD
To be honest, it sounds really interesting! I'd love to read it once it's done!

---

You may have been asked this before, but I'm curious: how did you come to love using bad units in Fire Emblem?

Edited by DragonFlames

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

This question is very subjective. What someone says is bad can be good for me, and all the works I like I consider good. I don't like anything I think about "Wow, that sucks!"

-------

Favorite Fate route (from your signature, I'm assuming you've played or at least watched it)?

Have you ever gone fishing?

18 hours ago, Randoman said:

Do you struggle with racism at all, in regards to to your own thoughts/jokes/prejudices?

No, I can't say that I do. I'm sorry that it's something you struggle with a bit, though. The best advice I can give is to be as objective as possible in a situation where you think your prejudices might arise, and to view a person for the content of their character and actions regardless of where they come from. If you feel that something might happen, it may just be best to apologize and walk away. If that's not an option, admit your prejudices to the person and your desire to improve and move past it. I don't know how good my advice is, or if you even need it, but I thought I would share anyway.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

To be honest, it sounds really interesting! I'd love to read it once it's done!

We'll see...I have good ideas, but I am a very bad writer.

Currently, my biggest problem isthat I have too many characters. I definitely nede to do a second draft, and probably axe a whole bunch of characters.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

how did you come to love using bad units in Fire Emblem?

When I realized that tirivializing games isn't as fun as using zeroes and turning them into heroes-I really enjoyed FE8 because I didn't Seth solo. I don't mind using good units, but they can't be too good for their game, you know? Like, if Seth weren't completely OP but was still good, (Like FE6 Marcus is,) I'd have no objections to using him if I needed to. It makes me think a lot more.

Favorite Jagen as a unit, other than Sothe?

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Spider-Man 3. No matter how terrible it is, I have fond memories of watching it as a kid and I still like watching it every now and then.

Favorite RD unit?

What is your favorite place to shop at?

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Favorite Jagen as a unit, other than Sothe?

Sigurd. He's really strong in the first half of the game, but falls off pretty hard soon after.

Jokes aside, I'd say Oifey. He introduced a sub-archetype of the Jagen archetype, which is pretty impressive.

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Favorite RD unit?

Aran. He is flawed  ut solid unit, and was the total MVP oof ym playthrough of RD.

Roughly how many supports should each unit have, in your opinion? 

5 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Favorite Fate route (from your signature, I'm assuming you've played or at least watched it)?

I haven't read the visual novel the Fate franchise originated in, but I have seen most of the anime releases (the 2006 adaptation, UBW, the first two HF movies, the UBW movie, Zero, and a bit of Apocrypha), and played the games in the Extraverse (Fate/Extra, Extella: The Umbral Star, and Extella Link), and I have seen the anime Fate/Extra: Last Encore, AND I have read the Prisma Illya manga.
Of the original three routes (Fate, UBW, and HF), I honestly can't say which one I like the most, since I haven't seen the last Heaven's Feel movie yet, and I don't want to make a final judgement before that point.
One thing I can say though: neither of the three is my absolute favorite storyline in Fate as a whole. That honor goes to the Extraverse.

And now excuse me as I run away, change my name, and erase every trace of my existence from history.

---

What is your favorite lord class?

Do you think the fe support system should change? How so?

9 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Favorite genre of a work (be it a movie, an anime, etc.)?

Adventure if that counts.

2 hours ago, indigoasis said:

What is your favorite place to shop at?

Amazon. Seriously. All my personal shopping is done online. Easy, fast, etc.

Obscure game or other media you enjoy that others likely haven't heard of?

Have you ever been on a game's online leaderboard before or tried to maintain a high rank on a game's leaderboard? Does the idea of being on a game leaderboard interest you? Why/why not?

20 hours ago, Benice said:

Failing, living marginally and being alone. I always fear that I'll not live up to my expectations, won't make it into a good university, will flunk, etc.. I don't think that I'm the kind of person who can succeed in life most of the time, since none of my skills have really amounted to anything, and my attention span for things is about six months, tops. The farthest I ever got with a personal project was a book that is presently at 250 pages. I still really wanna finish it and get it published, but I never work on it...

I wouldn't be too worried about that, and this is coming from who's 30ish years old. I had the exact same fears and more, and I actually did flunk out of university, more or less. It turned out college and a "hands-on approach" to learning was much more my speed. Success wasn't common for me either, or common for a lot of my friends. And I know from experience that it's tough to cope with your best not being enough. Though if there's one thing I've learned, regarding what to do when your best is not enough, is that a different approach to your goal (eg: studying with fellow classmates in university or seeing your professor during their office hours for extra help) or changing your goal to something else (eg: me switching from university to college) are some of the more solid solutions to resort to.

20 hours ago, Benice said:

Who is your favorite FE character?

On 10/4/2020 at 3:53 PM, Randoman said:

It'd have to be Marth. Aside from finding him really cool looking ever since I first saw him in Melee during his character unlock battle (blue is my favourite colour, and I really like how so many different shades of blue are implemented in his character design), I really like how hesitant and humble he is compared to other Fire Emblem lords, and how his insecurity and him getting easily flustered makes him more flawed, human, and relatable compared to other FE leads, who are generally either way too gung-ho and resolute, or virtuous to the point of it not seeming realistic.

7 hours ago, indigoasis said:

No, I can't say that I do. I'm sorry that it's something you struggle with a bit, though. The best advice I can give is to be as objective as possible in a situation where you think your prejudices might arise, and to view a person for the content of their character and actions regardless of where they come from. If you feel that something might happen, it may just be best to apologize and walk away. If that's not an option, admit your prejudices to the person and your desire to improve and move past it. I don't know how good my advice is, or if you even need it, but I thought I would share anyway.

That's some pretty solid advice. Thanks.

I guess I'll explain what happened (hopefully I won't get in trouble with mods for this, since I'm stating these racist thoughts as problems I'm struggling with, and not as insults or jokes): yesterday my family ordered some Chinese take out for dinner, and the guy who was dropping it off was Indian. I've kind of developed a skepticism towards Indians due to all the Indian phone scammer videos that get recommended on youtube these past 2 months. I paid for the food through credit card, though it was pretty suspicious that the machine didn't ask for my PIN whatsoever. My credit card had the PIN reset, and when I reset it online, the site said as a safety precaution, my first purchase would ask for my PIN 3 times in a row. The first two would fail, which is supposed to happen, but the 3rd attempt would work. The fact that the machine didn't ask for my PIN at all had me suspicious. I've previously had my credit card run through a "tampered machine" around 2-3 years ago from a restaurant, with $500 worth of gift card purchases being attempted on my credit card exactly 1 week after I went to a restaurant (it didn't go through, thankfully, and my money was safe). I was pretty worried that the same thing was going to happen all over again.

Well, I guess all there is to do is wait for my next bill and trust that the guy was honest. Even if he wasn't, banks are pretty good with stopping mass purchases of gift card credit.

What would you say is your most developed talent/skill?

7 hours ago, Benice said:

Roughly how many supports should each unit have, in your opinion? 

I think a character should have as many supports needed to get the player to have a decent enough grasp on their character outside of the main story. I don't necessarily think that there should be a limit to how many supports a unit can have, like with the GBA titles, but I would want those supports to make sense, like with what Three Houses does (for example, Lysithea and Catherine; they both share a crest, so it makes sense for them to have some kind of discussion about it). The way Fates did it, support conversations are more or less there so that every unit has a viable marriage option. I think that's totally fine; it offers conversations with characters that you wouldn't expect to talk to each other, but at the same time... the S supports are just there as a prerequisite to reach so you can get new units. Anyway, TL;DR: There shouldn't be a limit on supports as long as the supports make sense between characters. 

I also like what Genealogy did with supports, where they were mid-battle conversations that offered character insight and growth, as well as helpful permanent stat boosts.

1 hour ago, Randoman said:

I guess I'll explain what happened (hopefully I won't get in trouble with mods for this, since I'm stating these racist thoughts as problems I'm struggling with, and not as insults or jokes): yesterday my family ordered some Chinese take out for dinner, and the guy who was dropping it off was Indian. I've kind of developed a skepticism towards Indians due to all the Indian phone scammer videos that get recommended on youtube these past 2 months. I paid for the food through credit card, though it was pretty suspicious that the machine didn't ask for my PIN whatsoever. My credit card had the PIN reset, and when I reset it online, the site said as a safety precaution, my first purchase would ask for my PIN 3 times in a row. The first two would fail, which is supposed to happen, but the 3rd attempt would work. The fact that the machine didn't ask for my PIN at all had me suspicious. I've previously had my credit card run through a "tampered machine" around 2-3 years ago from a restaurant, with $500 worth of gift card purchases being attempted on my credit card exactly 1 week after I went to a restaurant (it didn't go through, thankfully, and my money was safe). I was pretty worried that the same thing was going to happen all over again.

Well, I guess all there is to do is wait for my next bill and trust that the guy was honest. Even if he wasn't, banks are pretty good with stopping mass purchases of gift card credit.

Wait, was the scanner some kind of mobile credit card scanner? I don't know how mobile scanners work, but I think they probably just save the scan, and then whoever had the scanner brings it back to upload the purchases. Since it's not connected to anything, it may not use PINs. Also, and I think this would be the most important point, bypassing having a PIN put in would save time for the delivery person anyway. While the time saved would probably be trivial, it gets stuff done faster, wastes less of the consumer's time, and theoretically allows for more deliveries to be made (if that much time is really saved, that is). Anyway, the dude was just a delivery guy, so I doubt that there's anything fishy going on.

If you have anything you need to get off your chest, feel free to PM me, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. I won't judge you for anything; it's not my place to judge people. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then I would suggest consulting a family member or someone close to you. Also, pardon me if I come off as pushy, but I'd stop watching those videos, too (if you still watch them), no matter how enticing or interesting they may seem. It paints a bad picture of a small group of people, and a bad perspective of which would end up transferring over to a larger group of others who have zero affiliation with stuff like that just because they're the same race. As the saying goes (or close enough to it), don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch.

2 hours ago, Randoman said:

Have you ever been on a game's online leaderboard before or tried to maintain a high rank on a game's leaderboard? Does the idea of being on a game leaderboard interest you? Why/why not?

Not really. I’m competitive, but not in that way. It’s too stressful to maintain or keep up with tbh.

Where did you get the idea for your username?

Edited by twilitfalchion