Randoman

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, indigoasis said:

Favorite unit in Fire Emblem?

One unit that kind of sticks out among the rest is Delthea in Echoes. She's insanely fun to use, starts off more powerful than other units of the "dreaded" Est archetype, and is really flexible, too, especially if you equip a Mage Ring on her.
I find she can turn into a downright monster if used right, and promoted to Priestess (my favorite class in FE after Awakening Manaketes), if she gets attacked from up close, she won't have to damage herself with her magic due to auto-equipping a sword.

---

I'll give this same question to you, twilit: What is your favorite unit in Fire Emblem?

RD Mia. She starts off a bit slow, but quickly steamrolls into becoming a beast, dodging almost everything and proccing crits and skills more than any other unit. Her Trueblade design is also one of my favorites in the series. An absolute champ in my playthrough of RD.

Least favorite unit you've used?

24 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Favorite movie?

Ahahah...Well...

*Nervous gulp*

I don't really watch many movies, so I have to say the live-action Cat in the Hat movie, or this abomination:

What's up, Balloon to the rescue!

Spoiler

I am sorry that you had to witness this.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

RD Mia. She starts off a bit slow, but quickly steamrolls into becoming a beast, dodging almost everything and proccing crits and skills more than any other unit. Her Trueblade design is also one of my favorites in the series. An absolute champ in my playthrough of RD.

Man_of_Culture.jpg

Any Axe Fighter not on a Wyvern before Three Houses.

Serious answer this time, leaving any least favorite FE game units aside, I think this spot would probably have to go to - and I'm sorry to say this to everyone who likes him - Boyd, in Path of Radiance. Every time I tried to use him, it was all "Miss, Miss, Miss, and Miss some more". Eventually, I just benched him by default, because I really couldn't deal with him missing everything.

And now Benice: your favorite unit you've used?

30 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And now Benice: your favorite unit you've used?

Faye in Berwick. She may be mediocre, since she is based basically 100% on proc skills, but man is she fun once trained, since she adepts all the time, is running around with crit rates, has Astra, (which has the most gorgeous animation,) and is just so explosive and unpredictable in a good way. She makes great use of any weapon with crit.

(And I had her use everyone else's prf weapons because I can.)

Bad units you like using?

Edited by Benice

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Bad units you like using?

Depending on who you ask, Micaiah (because I simply like the character), Sanaki (I save every Speedwing for her, because all the other units I want to use in the endgame don't usually need it, and I love the animation for Cymbeline, because it reminds me of this), and Ilyana (Tier 3 by the end of Part One, if you know what you're doing) in Radiant Dawn. And Mia in Path of Radiance counts, too, I suppose (but I never had a feeling she's bad).

---

Good units you like using, if any?

Edited by DragonFlames

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Good units you like using, if any?

Let's see, by the game:

Halvan in FE5, Marcus and Shanna in FE6, Canas in FE7, Franz in FE8, Marcia in FE9, Sothe and Haar in FE10, Wolfgar in FE11, Athena in FE12.

Do you prefer archers with 1-3 range or no/crossbow only 1-range options?

Edited by Benice

19 minutes ago, Benice said:

Do you prefer archers with 1-3 range or no/crossbow only 1-range options?

Between these, I like the second option the most, for balancing purposes.
The first one is of course very nice, because it removes the hassle of being afraid of your own archers getting boxed in, but it makes bow units too strong.

---

And you?

@Benice Since you're familiar with What's Up? Balloon to the Rescue, what other "so bad it's good" movies do you enjoy and recommend for those that are into those kind of movies?

@DragonFlames What makes Neptune of your most favourite characters?

17 hours ago, Benice said:

Who is your favorite FE character?

It'd have to be Marth. Aside from finding him really cool looking ever since I first saw him in Melee during his character unlock battle (blue is my favourite colour, and I really like how so many different shades of blue are implemented in his character design), I really like how hesitant and humble he is compared to other Fire Emblem lords, and how his insecurity and him getting easily flustered makes him more flawed, human, and relatable compared to other FE leads, who are generally either way too gung-ho and resolute, or virtuous to the point of it not seeming realistic.

Edited by Randoman

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

And you?

I personally prefer 2+ locked archers, with crossbows as an option for 1-2 range. I also don't particularly like them having more than four range, myself.

2 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Since you're familiar with What's Up? Balloon to the Rescue, what other "so bad it's good" movies do you enjoy and recommend for those that are into those kind of movies?

Oof...I don't watch a lot of 'em, but there is Joshua and the promised land, Ratatoing, Chop-kick panda, The Cat in the hat movie...

Would you want the next FE to be a remake, a sequel or a new entry?

1 minute ago, Benice said:

How about you?

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Kieran and Sylvain, for no more petty of a reason than I hate them as characters.

--------

Who is your favorite character from RD?

24 minutes ago, Randoman said:

What makes Neptune of your most favourite characters?

Most people will see Neptune as a fun-loving jokester, whose main function is to make references or break the fourth wall, and while that is a very large part of her character (a part which I really enjoy), it's not all there is to her.
I like that there is very much depth to her character, that might appear subtle on the surface, but it's apparent when you look at her closely.
She is lazy, yes, but that only applies to paperwork, since when the chips are down, she's usually the first to take action and be ready to help people out. And while she can appear narcissistic at times, particularly when it comes to her status as the series' protagonist, she is actually very selfless, as evidenced by one scene in Megadimension Neptunia VII, where the other characters get to look at what Neptune wishes for deep down. And it turns out that she wishes for nothing except the happiness of other people. All she wants for herself is being able to have fun with her friends and younger sister, whom she treasures very much. And even when she engages in the occasional teasing (particularly towards friendly rival Noire), it never comes across as mean-spirited.

There are also multiple hints that she is in actuality smarter than she makes herself out to be at times, and this is no more evident than when she transforms into Purple Heart, which changes her personality into that of a no-nonsense Lady of War, who is very ironically the one who has to rein everyone else in when the situation gets tense (and it's also very clear she has the brains in their group when she transforms, whereas Noire becomes overconfident, and Blanc becomes more violent and reckless, whereas Vert stays largely the same, but more arrogant). Neptune doing a 180 upon transforming might be jarring, but what is easily forgotten is that she's still Neptune, so the Purple Heart personality is still very much a part of her.
Not to mention some of her more "philosophical" lines really resonate with me, such as when she says that the mundane, everyday things are sometimes the most important, or that when things look bad, a friend will help a person get back on their feet.

... That went on for longer than I intended it to be. Oops. XD

---

How do you feel about FE6 and FE3/FE12 having very similar plot structures?

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

How do you feel about FE6 and FE3/FE12 having very similar plot structures?

I feel like Elibe didn't need to be Archanaea 2, but FE6 has at least a few differences to keep it from being a complete copypasta, more like a revamp, to some extent.

What is your favorite kind of soup?

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

Do you like the monster mechanic in Three Houses?

Yeah, I do. I think it's a neat way to give battling some variety, even if it could be improved if brought back in the next game.

Would you like to see Mystery of the Emblem get the Echoes treatment?

Just now, DragonFlames said:

What part of Radiant Dawn made you decide it's your favorite Fire Emblem?

Ah, that's tough. I'd say it had overall fewer negative points than Three Houses did in my mind. The biggest differences being the lack of tedious downtime in the form of the monastery activities. While I liked being able to do things with my students, I eventually found myself just rushing to get the meals eaten, tea times done, etc. instead of really enjoying doing them like I did at first. That and I think that Radiant Dawn has more interesting and better map design. It also had Rebirth, which I think is one of the best final stretches of any FE game I've played, culminating in the Ashera fight, which I think is the best boss battle in any FE game, regardless of how much trouble I had with it.

What is your favorite type of international cuisine?

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

What is your favorite type of international cuisine?

Gotta go with Italian on this one. I love Italian (style) food, like pizza or pasta.
Adding to that is that it's about the only cooking I can eat these days, but I find it nonetheless very delicious!

And you?

Asian. Japanese and Chinese in particular. Shrimp fried rice is one of my favorite meals and what I just had for dinner actually.

Do you mind a heavier anime influence in FE, or would you rather have less of that?

Do you mind a heavier anime influence in FE, or would you rather have less of that?

I'm in the camp that says that FE always has been taking influence from anime, the only difference between then and now is that anime in and of itself has changed (good or bad, I leave to each individual to decide).
If you ask me whether or not I would want FE to take more influence from THOSE anime series (harem genre, OP protagonist, you know the drill...), then no. Definitely not.
But if it took influence from, say, the Fate series (Fate Extra: Last Encore, Unlimited Blade Works, etc) or stuff like Shakugan no Shana, then I wouldn't mind that at all.

And if it took influence from stuff like Baby, Please Kill Me, K-On, Azumanga Daioh, Chunnibyo, Love, and other Delusions etc., then I would LOVE it. XD

---

How would you feel about a Fire Emblem game set in the modern era?

57 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Most people will see Neptune as a fun-loving jokester, whose main function is to make references or break the fourth wall, and while that is a very large part of her character (a part which I really enjoy), it's not all there is to her.
I like that there is very much depth to her character, that might appear subtle on the surface, but it's apparent when you look at her closely.
She is lazy, yes, but that only applies to paperwork, since when the chips are down, she's usually the first to take action and be ready to help people out. And while she can appear narcissistic at times, particularly when it comes to her status as the series' protagonist, she is actually very selfless, as evidenced by one scene in Megadimension Neptunia VII, where the other characters get to look at what Neptune wishes for deep down. And it turns out that she wishes for nothing except the happiness of other people. All she wants for herself is being able to have fun with her friends and younger sister, whom she treasures very much. And even when she engages in the occasional teasing (particularly towards friendly rival Noire), it never comes across as mean-spirited.

There are also multiple hints that she is in actuality smarter than she makes herself out to be at times, and this is no more evident than when she transforms into Purple Heart, which changes her personality into that of a no-nonsense Lady of War, who is very ironically the one who has to rein everyone else in when the situation gets tense (and it's also very clear she has the brains in their group when she transforms, whereas Noire becomes overconfident, and Blanc becomes more violent and reckless, whereas Vert stays largely the same, but more arrogant). Neptune doing a 180 upon transforming might be jarring, but what is easily forgotten is that she's still Neptune, so the Purple Heart personality is still very much a part of her.
Not to mention some of her more "philosophical" lines really resonate with me, such as when she says that the mundane, everyday things are sometimes the most important, or that when things look bad, a friend will help a person get back on their feet.

... That went on for longer than I intended it to be. Oops. XD

Don't worry. It was well written and a good read.

Though I'm surprised her looks/cuteness wasn't a part of the write-up at all.

On that topic, who were some of your very first fictional female crushes as a kid?

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Would you want the next FE to be a remake, a sequel or a new entry?

A new entry, I suppose. I'm actually not that into Fire Emblem these days. I guess it's kind of weird that I'm sticking around a Fire Emblem forum despite that. I guess it's the Forum Games that are drawing me into SF again, currently.

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm in the camp that says that FE always has been taking influence from anime, the only difference between then and now is that anime in and of itself has changed

Yeah, I'd definitely agree.

And if it took influence from stuff like Baby, Please Kill Me, K-On, Azumanga Daioh, Chunnibyo, Love, and other Delusions etc., then I would LOVE it. XD

Sure! xD

How would you feel about a Fire Emblem game set in the modern era?

I don't really see it working, personally. FE in general is so heavily based on medieval-style warfare that I can't see it transitioning to the modern era very well.

---------

@DragonFlames It seems, based on comments you've made previously, that you tend to prefer female protagonists to male protagonists (as do I). Why is that the case for you?

EDIT: Asked a question to the wrong person.

@RandomanWhat genres of games do you enjoy most?

Edited by twilitfalchion