Anime/manga that has made you cry?

Percivalé

yeah that also got to me. But one thing that confuses me is

he had already used his geass on her once and it looked like it was going through the second time

Jeremiah. Remember?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that last one is called Barefoot Gen, actually.

Er, whoops, indeed, it's called Barefoot Gen in English, my apologizes. I confused myself with names because here in France it's named Gen d'Hiroshima.

Er, whoops, indeed, it's called Barefoot Gen in English, my apologizes. I confused myself with names because here in France it's named Gen d'Hiroshima.

Don't worry about it. It's not like it's that much of a difference since it's still the same film anyway, although I think the French title is a better warning for that atomic bomb sequence than the English title. I think that the atomic bomb scene is the single most powerful image in the entire film, if only because it's so graphic for something that's so cute. It's the Happy Tree Friends effect in motion, I'm afraid.

Lelouch died in the end of R2.

BUt I didn't really cry, I just have sympathy for it...

yeah that was pretty sad, too (don't look at the spoiler, sis)

No.

way to spam....

anywho, I forgot about (Death Note)

Light's father's death

. Very tragic indeed...

Edited by coolguyvaters

way to spam....

anywho, I forgot about (Death Note)

Light's father's death

. Very tragic indeed...

It's not spam, it's input. But if you want me to elaborate, then fine:

The saccharine entertainment value of anime, although sweet, is not enough to delude me into finding anything more than sheer, mindless, entertainment value in it. Crying at anime is like having a list of your favorite commercials: it just shows you're weakminded enough to buy into the system.

The saccharine entertainment value of anime, although sweet, is not enough to delude me into finding anything more than sheer, mindless, entertainment value in it. Crying at anime is like having a list of your favorite commercials: it just shows you're weakminded enough to buy into the system.

That's hardly the point of this thread, dude. It's not here so you can just ridicule everyone just for discussing anime/manga that are practically MEANT to have an emotional touch to them. (Forgive me if that sounds mini-modish)

That said, there were times when I myself was rather touched by certain anime, even if not brought to tears.

Chrono Crusade's ending. Yet despite the sad endings to both, there's ONE thing that makes the manga ending better than the anime in my opinion:

AION STAYS DEAD! I mean, come on! It was cruel enough that both Rossette and Chrono died in the anime, but to bring Aion back? That was all the more cruel.

Code Geass R2:

Euphemia's Death. In the end, Suzaku decided to lie to her about the atrocity she (unwillingly) committed, thus died in ignorance.

Though in truth, it was more of a massive "WTF/that is so messed up!" moment than anything.

And then Shirley, that one got me, too, especially after Lelouch tried to stop her death with Geass.

Cowboy Bebop:

The ending when Spike appears to have died. (I'm not going to say that he DID die, because even the director himself admitted that he was unsure of it.) It was very sad, but hey! At the very least, the guy went out with a "bang!"

:)

And then the ending to Wolf's Rain.

Edited by WyvernSageLord

Code Geass R2:

Euphemia's Death. In the end, Suzaku decided to lie to her about the atrocity she (unwillingly) committed, thus died in ignorance.

Though in truth, it was more of a massive "WTF/that is so messed up!" moment than anything.

Huh? Are you sure your not confusing that part with Season 1?

The last time I remember getting legit sad because of something in an anime was the Casca thing at the end of Berserk's first part. Mostly Guts having to watch.

People cry when they read Marley and Me. How is it any different to crying at the end of an anime?

People cry when they read Marley and Me. How is it any different to crying at the end of an anime?

His post more or less says that while anime is fun to watch, crying at something that generally has so little substance behind it is foolish. I can't agree with him about anime being entirely mindless, but looking at some of the things people here said they cried over, I can't say he's 100% wrong. >_>

His post more or less says that while anime is fun to watch, crying at something that generally has so little substance behind it is foolish. I can't agree with him about anime being entirely mindless, but looking at some of the things people here said they cried over, I can't say he's 100% wrong. >_>

I would say that outright crying, as in sobbing, would be a bit overboard. But tearing up at more emotional parts I would hardly find a sign of weak-mindedness, as BK seems to believe.

Myself, I've found a few bits of anime depressing enough to get the ol' tear ducts running. Most of Kanon 2006 was relatively sad, but I found that the buildup to

Makoto's eventual death

to be quite saddening. The entire anime had that kind of effect.

In Code Geass,

Shirley's death

and

Lelouch's execution right in front of Nunally

were both pretty moving moments, because they came almost out of nowhere, and conveyed pretty well a sense of hopelessness.

The End of Evangelion was a particularly powerful movie, and I found the

death of Misato after she'd kissed Shinji

and later on the scene in which he

strangles Asuka to death after begging her for help

to be some of the most depressing events in animated entertainment.

Higurashi had some very depressing points. The scene in which

Shion beats Satoko while she is chained up and then later stabs her to death, only to realize seconds afterwards that she had done exactly what Satou didn't want and is so surprised that she pisses herself

definitely got to me.