What video game(s) do you think doesn't need a remake?

indigoasis

Title asks it all. What is a video game, or multiple games, that you believe don't necessarily need a remake, at least not any time soon?

If there's one game that I can think of that's held up extremely well, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night immediately comes to mind.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Switch ports of the two games would be great so that more people can play them, and I would even consider a remaster that fixes a few things to be fine so long as it isn't full price, but these two games don't need remakes. They already work extremely well, with the only thing really dated about them being their graphics, and even then, the artwork is fantastic and I don't want to see a remake get rid of the good artwork.

Metroid Prime. I recently played the Prime Trilogy version of this game, and it still holds up extremely well, including graphically. It is one of those GameCube titles that has held up extremely well over the years. The only thing I can think of that a remake could add that would genuinely add to the game and be substantial enough for it to be a remake would be for it to include the scrapped Kraid fight, and that's it.

Also, this topic should probably be in general gaming.

Edited by vanguard333

19 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Switch ports of the two games would be great so that more people can play them, and I would even consider a remaster that fixes a few things to be fine so long as it isn't full price, but these two games don't need remakes. They already work extremely well, with the only thing really dated about them being their graphics, and even then, the artwork is fantastic and I don't want to see a remake get rid of the good artwork.

Metroid Prime. I recently played the Prime Trilogy version of this game, and it still holds up extremely well, including graphically. It is one of those GameCube titles that has held up extremely well over the years. The only thing I can think of that a remake could add that would genuinely add to the game and be substantial enough for it to be a remake would be for it to include the scrapped Kraid fight, and that's it.

1 hour ago, Palasid said:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door holds up very well. Sure it has its down points. Even considering that its incredibly fun to play and control and still looks great.

Considering how hard these games are to come by without resorting to breaking the bank or resorting to other methods, these would be absolutely welcome as rereleases akin to Super Mario 3D All-Stars... without the limited time release window, of course.

19 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Also, this topic should probably be in general gaming.

Whoopsies, my mistake. Thanks for catching that.

3 hours ago, indigoasis said:

Considering how hard these games are to come by without resorting to breaking the bank or resorting to other methods, these would be absolutely welcome as rereleases akin to Super Mario 3D All-Stars... without the limited time release window, of course.

And with much better features; for a legacy collection, 3D All-Stars was beyond barebones. No control options (being able to use a GameCube controller for Sunshine was patched in later), only three games (no Galaxy 2), and they had the audacity to charge full price.

I remember the Zelda Collector's Edition that was only sold bundled with the GameCube, and it was a far better collection: four games, a retrospective, a trailer for Wind Waker and a demo for Wind Waker.

Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 definitely don't need a remake anytime soon. While RE1-RE3 were bound to need remakes as the series progressed, RE5 and RE6 stand fine on their own and won't need the remake treatment for a while. I can see why Resident Evil 4 is getting remade in the same vein of RE2 (2019) and RE3 (2020) and am looking forward to the RE4 Remake when it releases next year. If Capcom's going to continue remaking Resident Evil titles, I hope they choose to remake Code Veronica or RE Zero before any potential RE5 or RE6 Remakes are in the works. 

Grand Theft Auto IV is another title that doesn't really need a remake. While a GTA IV with updated visuals and gameplay would probably be nice, I don't have high hopes for a GTA IV: Definitive Edition after seeing what happened to the "Definitive" Edition of the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy (III, VC, SA). Besides, GTA IV holds up pretty well today and wouldn't really need anything more than a remaster (developed by a different company with a different engine) with some control changes thrown in. 

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin!

A 2014 historical spinoff of the Yakuza series set in the Bakamatsu period of Japan, Ishin is a PS3/4 game that hasn't yet been localized (Ostensibly, it would also release on PC and Xbox if it came to the West). As the first game in the series to use the 0/Kiwami engine, it still holds up graphically, and it has four completely unique combat styles; Unarmed, which plays like the previous Yakuza games, allowing the use of improvised weapons, parrying and countering, Sword, which specializes in duels with other armed opponents, Gun, which is... gun, and Wild Dance, which uses both Sword and Gun for maximum fun. The game also has a unique level up system, loads of minigames, an absolutely balling soundtrack, and seemingly a great story as well, though I can't confirm it for myself 'cause I don't know how to read Japanese. It has some really darned cool setpieces, and the map it is set in is unique to the series as well! It has absolutely glowing reviews from Japanese outlets, and RGG studio has said that they want to bring it to the West eventually.

What I personally hope for is that we get a localized port rather than a Kiwami remake of it in the Dragon Engine- I think Ishin will hold up really well in spite of its age.

(Kenzan!, RGG's other historical spinoff on the other hand, would probably need an actual remake if it got brought to the west, 'cause lord almighty is that game ever scuffed)

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

The only thing the Baten Kaitos series needs is a proper port.  Though if the graphics get updated, I'm not gonna complain!

A fellow visitor of the islands (mostly) named after stars! We're not exactly common.😆

I can think of a few QoL updates that'd be nice for both games. And also fixing the coliseum bug in BKO, and changing the save flower in the Goldoba to a blue one b/c the infamous boss fight there, or at least adding a on/off god mode to cheat through that infamous fight and the BKO one ala the modern FFVII-IX ports. We need dual audio for Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean too, since the English voice acting there was recorded while scuba diving. The Pac-Man sidequest in BKO would like a checklist as well, to make it less of a hassle to keep track of.

Speaking of Pac, Nintendo would require Namco's approval for any rereleases, which is a problem to getting it done.

Even so, I'd like to see Baten Kaitos available on Switch. The world deserves to know the miracle of Guillo!😄

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A fellow visitor of the islands (mostly) named after stars! We're not exactly common.😆

I can think of a few QoL updates that'd be nice for both games. And also fixing the coliseum bug in BKO, and changing the save flower in the Goldoba to a blue one b/c the infamous boss fight there, or at least adding a on/off god mode to cheat through that infamous fight and the BKO one ala the modern FFVII-IX ports. We need dual audio for Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean too, since the English voice acting there was recorded while scuba diving. The Pac-Man sidequest in BKO would like a checklist as well, to make it less of a hassle to keep track of.

Speaking of Pac, Nintendo would require Namco's approval for any rereleases, which is a problem to getting it done.

Even so, I'd like to see Baten Kaitos available on Switch. The world deserves to know the miracle of Guillo!😄

I wouldn't mind some QoL stuff, such as the ability to skip certain cutscenes.  But outright changing the characters/story would be a shame.

I generally have a few key criteria for remakes.

The game should be old enough to not be playable on current hardware. Or failing that, at least 2 console generations old.

The game should garner significant respect, or at least nostalgia. 

The game should substantially benefit from changes other than a simple graphics update. That is to say, it hasn't aged well mechanically. If it can just be remastered or upscaled, it should be.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Remakes should be encouraged more in general, especially when Virtual Console and other equivalent archives are now things.

I was disappointed to see very little extra content in general (and story expansion/modernization in particular) for Link's Awakening. And all that for AU$80 (even accounting for inflation, it's above AU$50-60 per game copy that I've paid ten years ago) when I can go to the 3DS's VC version for a fraction of the price. Ditto with Pokemon BDSP which could have benefited from Platinum's improvements, addition of Pokemon introduced in Legends Arceus, and some extra story content that ties the two games even better. The Mario 3D collection should also have either been a VC release or at least an update in graphics alongside, that one at least has three games for one price. I also say release the Tellius games as a VC port as well, in addition to a remake that improves/expands Micaiah's (and maybe Sanaki/Elincia's) story alongside some gameplay rebalancing. Experiencing a bit of Three Houses actually killed the lessened interest I had in the duology thanks to how ridiculously expensive the original copies are.

Edited by henrymidfields

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 8:57 AM, henrymidfields said:

I'm of the opposite opinion. Remakes should be encouraged more in general, especially when Virtual Console and other equivalent archives are now things.

I was disappointed to see very little extra content in general (and story expansion/modernization in particular) for Link's Awakening. And all that for AU$80 (even accounting for inflation, it's above AU$50-60 per game copy that I've paid ten years ago) when I can go to the 3DS's VC version for a fraction of the price. Ditto with Pokemon BDSP which could have benefited from Platinum's improvements, addition of Pokemon introduced in Legends Arceus, and some extra story content that ties the two games even better. The Mario 3D collection should also have either been a VC release or at least an update in graphics alongside, that one at least has three games for one price. I also say release the Tellius games as a VC port as well, in addition to a remake that improves/expands Micaiah's (and maybe Sanaki/Elincia's) story alongside some gameplay rebalancing. Experiencing a bit of Three Houses actually killed the lessened interest I had in the duology thanks to how ridiculously expensive the original copies are.

I guess, but in a sense ports through VC services (although not the best- looking at you Nintendo Online) are equally helpful. The main reason I see for remakes is to make them accessible/more accessible, and this primarily means just being able to play it legally. 

There are very few games that don't need a port, but for games that don't need a remake, I'm thinking of Sacred Stones. A remaster (slight polishing) may be needed, but other than that I think it handles accesibility perfectly. Other games like this are probably things like Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D Land that don't need a significant overhaul.

Pretty much any game originally for the 3DS. It's a recent system that plenty of people have - and those that don't can find a cheap used version of the old model, or the 2DS. Plus, the system's dual-screen nature means that any game remade for a single-screen console (i.e. the Switch) is gonna have its presentation compromised in some way.

Is this game perfect?

->Yes, then no need to remake it (this is only going to be the case for very simple games).

->No, then sure, remake it and improve it

-->Will you buy it if it is remade?

-->Yes, because I never played the original and wanted to.

-->Yes, because the changes are significant that it will be a different experience to the original.

-->No, because I don't have any interest in the game at all.

-->No, because the original game was close enough to perfection that the changes aren't worth paying for a new title.

In other words, very few games don't need to be remade. There's always some quality of life improvement or extra content that could make it better. But just because you could do it, doesn't mean I'll actually buy it. And if you are going to remake it, then you're going to have to give me some actual extra content that makes it feel like a new or enhanced experience for me. Any game can be remade, it all depends on how much effort the developer wants to put into remaking it. A new coat of graphical paint is not going to peak my interest much. Some extra dungeons, weapons, fighting abilities, playable characters, bosses and all that stuff, that's what will convince me to buy it. I don't want a game before on a modern console, I want a new game entirely, even if said game is going to be built around the core mechanics and plot of an existing title.