Japanese Fire Emblem Twitter posts

Crubat

27 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I'm sorry I don't agree with this at all. Heck if not for this thread I would have assumed there was no marketing.

They do tend to start low key, but eventually Famitsu issues start covering the game, and then two weeks before release Nintendo of America wakes up and pushes it hard. That's how it went last time anyway, but it started exactly like it has for Engage.
They're pretty lucky they have a community of dedicated people in the west. I half joked that VincentASM did most of the marketing for Three Houses last time around; even Youtubers were basically reciting Serenes Forest article verbatim, because why the heck not.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ciphertul said:

I'm sorry I don't agree with this at all. Heck if not for this thread I would have assumed there was no marketing.

I'm not sure how much more you want within a couple weeks of the announcement trailer? Weekly ten minute trailers explaining all the mechanics in detail already? Short weekly character introductions is a great way to give the main cast time to shine.

The marketing will ramp up as we get closer to launch.

Safy is right. We can only expect so much since the game was announced like what 3-4 weeks ago? We'll hopefully be getting a famitsu article soon and I say by December, we'll start getting a lot more push from NOA. I understand that the inconsistent release schedule is frustrating but two characters a week is quite a substantial amount and is pretty normal for FE. Three Houses was the exception with how you needed to know like 85% of the playable cast before playing so you could make an informed choice of house at the beginning of the game.

I'm not particularly upset with the pace of announcements because the format of context-less twitter clips hasn't given me any clearer picture about the game. I will say however that comparing this game's marketing cycle to Three Houses is pretty ignorant. When Three Houses was announced with a proper trailer and title, that was a game still in full-scale development. Fire Emblem Engage is already finished. A few months out from release, they're only doing QA, localization, and Post-launch DLC development if applicable. And that's assuming you specifically don't believe the leaks that claim this game has been finished since early 2021. They might literally have nothing left to do but market the game. If they wanted to drop a massive gameplay trailer showcase this far out, they absolutely could. It's probably already cut and ready to publish on Youtube in all languages. But doing so now will distract from other, imminent nintendo switch titles, like the other strategy RPG coming out in nine days or Bayonetta 3.

The game we ought to be comparing to is Fire Emblem Echoes. Announcements really ramped up in March of that year. Famitsu was covering it, new trailers were being posted in English. The game appeared at PAX East which gave us a few minutes of uncut gameplay. That may not sound like a whole lot, but considering the 3DS was a then-outdated system competing with the brand new Nintendo Switch, it certainly didn't feel like nothing. And if they had done all of that just two weeks earlier, they'd be competing directly with The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for attention. So, I see why NoA might want to save coverage for a better timeslot.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

5 hours ago, ciphertul said:

I mean. They're doing a good job at marketing to the Japanese fanbase. For the international release I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for us to be closer to relase. Maybe late November to early January. That way it isn't eclisped by the likes of Nier (Already out but something fans have wanted for awhile.), Persona (Releasing soon but is still a long awaited release.), Bayonetta (An entirely new game fans have been waiting years for that is also releasing soon.), and Pokemon (It's Pokemon.). Not to mention any other releases they anticipate might eclipse Fire Emblem. Best to hold off on marketing until a better time when all the hype for those other releases has died down.

I remember back when Three Houses first got announced, some people were VERY worried about how the marketing was being handled...and then things turned out great sales wise. Going to trust that they know what they're doing this time around too! 

11 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I'm not particularly upset with the pace of announcements because the format of context-less twitter clips hasn't given me any clearer picture about the game. I will say however that comparing this game's marketing cycle to Three Houses is pretty ignorant. When Three Houses was announced with a proper trailer and title, that was a game still in full-scale development. Fire Emblem Engage is already finished. A few months out from release, they're only doing QA, localization, and Post-launch DLC development if applicable. And that's assuming you specifically don't believe the leaks that claim this game has been finished since early 2021. They might literally have nothing left to do but market the game. If they wanted to drop a massive gameplay trailer showcase this far out, they absolutely could. It's probably already cut and ready to publish on Youtube in all languages. But doing so now will distract from other, imminent nintendo switch titles, like the other strategy RPG coming out in nine days or Bayonetta 3.

The game we ought to be comparing to is Fire Emblem Echoes. Announcements really ramped up in March of that year. Famitsu was covering it, new trailers were being posted in English. The game appeared at PAX East which gave us a few minutes of uncut gameplay. That may not sound like a whole lot, but considering the 3DS was a then-outdated system competing with the brand new Nintendo Switch, it certainly didn't feel like nothing. And if they had done all of that just two weeks earlier, they'd be competing directly with The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for attention. So, I see why NoA might want to save coverage for a better timeslot.

Must resist urges to be that guy right now...

You're right that Engage did not have a teaser followed by a year of nothing, then a reveal trailer followed by another half a year of nothing. Three houses then got a meatier trailer in February 2019, but then nothing again until we started getting Twitter character bios starting in late April, for a release in late July, so three months. That's roughly when Famitsu issues started covering the game every two or three weeks as well, for a total of five issues. We got an E3 trailer and Treehouse with some more coverage, but mostly things were only on the japanese side of things until Mario Maker 2 was released in late June, leaving the west with one month to catch up.

Anyway, Echoes didn't have twitter bios to my knowledge, and the timing of those starting for 3H and Engage is pretty close, hence the direct comparison. If you think Three Houses was marketed more... actively after it was finished, then you're not remembering right. The main difference is that it was revealed much earlier, but considering the nothing they did afterwards, doesn't mean too much as far as I'm concerned.

Also it is pretty obvious they're selectively giving spotlight, yes. In fact considering the existence of Three Hopes, that's likely the exact reason Engage was never teased.

7 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I remember back when Three Houses first got announced, some people were VERY worried about how the marketing was being handled...and then things turned out great sales wise. Going to trust that they know what they're doing this time around too! 

Yeah, that's why I'm being a little more chill about it this time around. With that being said, I think having to wait so much for 3H info was kinda just distressing. Obviously we didn't have to deal with that when it comes to Engage.

Still, just because it worked doesn't mean they couldn't have done better. I definitely think they should at least open an english twitter and copy what the JP side is currently doing.

Edited by Cysx

4 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Well, if nothing else, we got a tweet from Nintendo of America this time, albeit them just repeating the same stuff as the trailer because they're so creative. 😄

Better than nothing, I guess. Maybe they felt guilty for not doing anything for almost an entire month since the reveal~

One thing of note though is that last sentence: does "The story seems like it will begin with the battle between its people and the Fell Dragon a thousand years ago...!" imply we'll start with a flashback to the Fell Dragon's sealing? I hope it'll be playable if so, since Alear themselves were present for it. I wonder if we'll see the old heroes of the day too, or if it'll just be Alear and Marth delivering the final blow in a tutorial fight a la FE13's prologue...

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Better than nothing, I guess. Maybe they felt guilty for not doing anything for almost an entire month since the reveal~

One thing of note though is that last sentence: does "The story seems like it will begin with the battle between its people and the Fell Dragon a thousand years ago...!" imply we'll start with a flashback to the Fell Dragon's sealing? I hope it'll be playable if so, since Alear themselves were present for it. I wonder if we'll see the old heroes of the day too, or if it'll just be Alear and Marth delivering the final blow in a tutorial fight a la FE13's prologue...

Makes me wonder if they'll announce that Engage direct soon.

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

More than likely we'll get a prologue that's just Alear and Marth like in Awakening or a cutscene like in Three Houses with Seiros mercing Nemesis, I doubt it will be anything special.

I'm sorry but I'm laughing at the way that tweet worded it. "The story seems like it will..." 

What do you mean seems? Shouldn't you know? Or is IS leaving people in the dark regarding the story? XD 

6 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

What do you mean seems? Shouldn't you know? Or is IS leaving people in the dark regarding the story? XD 

The whole thing is actually fake. They literally made all these assets at the last minute for trailers, and the real game announcement is a Tokyo Mirage Sessions dancing spinoff.

9 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The whole thing is actually fake. They literally made all these assets at the last minute for trailers, and the real game announcement is a Tokyo Mirage Sessions dancing spinoff.

I believe you, The IS team is just feeling a bit silly and wants to keep the fans guessing their next move. Gotta respect the hustle. 

Oookay, so I have like ten minutes, let's see...

- Celica seems to raise Atk and Resistance. Makes sense.
- No triple attack even though Celine is doubling with a ring equipped. Maybe only a Marth thing, maybe something else.
- Still the same value gained as both Exp and SP. Wish it was a kill...
- Man those hits pushed this guy far. How would that have worked if there was like, a river right behind him? Invisible walls I suppose, but yeah.
- Talk prompt on Louis and Chloe up there. These weren't there for Alear, implying they know Celine. Retainers... potentially. Her recruitment does seem to happen on that map, and apparently you rescued her, so the premise seems relatively easy to guess.
- Revealing Celica before Sigurd implies that either Alfred and Sigurd aren't linked the way we thought, or they're going by FE release order, so after FE1's Marth, it's FE2's Celica.
- I don't think walking on that house entrance tile affected Celine's stats at all.

Okay I have to bounce, you guys have fun!

Some notes, not much new was shown though:

• Celine can talk to louis and chloe, maybe they are her retainers!
  • One of celica's skills is greyed out but it's active in the trailer so I assume you need to engage for that skill to work.
  • Never noticed the bridge in that map was broken
  • celica's spell casting has all the rings and runes around her while celine does not which I think is a nice detail

42 minutes ago, Crubat said:

babe wake up new engage tweets

XD

Thanks, Crubat! This time it's Celica! I guess Thursday was the right call after all, but this is probably the only reveal we're getting this week (I guess there was a special occasion on either Monday or Friday on the week we also got a single Thursday reveal).

So Celica has a title too! She's the Echoing Emblem. I wonder what the other Emblems will be called, since if they're just going off of game titles things are going to get weird really soon. Binding Emblem for Roy works, maybe even Blazing Emblem for Lyn since I don't think 420 jokes are big in Japan, but "Holy" for Sigurd or "Sacred" for Eirika when Marth is bound to be treated as the special Emblem?

That said, predicting each Emblem's title actually seems like a fun thing for us to do while waiting for new reveals~ I assume Sigurd is next since we have his assigned partner already, so does anyone want to take a crack at him?

Also in the combat clip, Celica and Celine attacked as one for each hit: I wonder if this means Emblems don't get their own attacks, or if that's something that's unlocked via skills or Bond Levels. And I missed the in-battle converstion prompts, thanks for pointing that out, everyone! Chloe and Louis are blue though, so you aren't recruiting them, just talking to them which is cool. I hope you can still fight or manage inventory afterwards a la Echoes, but given "Talk" is coming back I would assume that is too.

And the dialogue clip! First off, I guess they wanted M!Alear for the Marth one because they've been paired up in all the other footage thus far, and now they've returned to using F!Alear for story stuff (though I wonder if the genders will flip to match the Emblems they're talking to). Also, the dialogue itself feels like something you'd expect from a "first proper conversation", so I'm really hoping this is a C Support and not just a story cutscene or "introductory conversation" from when Celica first joins the party.

P.S. Does anyone know what the description for Engaging is in the battle options menu is, please? Maybe I've just forgotten, but I don't remember seeing it in the Marth clip from before. (Also, does the combat video look a lot smaller than the other clips for anyone else?)

15 minutes ago, Crubat said:

One of celica's skills is greyed out but it's active in the trailer so I assume you need to engage for that skill to work.

That makes sense!

Never noticed the bridge in that map was broken

Me neither, cool! I wonder if we can break/ fix it ourselves or if it's always like that. Maybe it'll be fixed if we return here/ in a Paralogue or something that reuses the map?

celica's spell casting has all the rings and runes around her while celine does not which I think is a nice detail

Agreed! This plus Warp Ragnarok and the different Emblem Rings makes it seem like each Emblem will have some mechanical throwbacks to their source games, which will be really fun to see - though I don't know if any of them will have anything that isn't cosmetic-only other than Celica, Micaiah (Sacrifice), Byleth (proficiencies in all weapons) and maybe Corrin (for Dragon Veins) though...

Edited by DefyingFates

5 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Agreed! This plus Warp Ragnarok and the different Emblem Rings makes it seem like each Emblem will have some mechanical throwbacks to their source games, which will be really fun to see - though I don't know if any of them will have anything that isn't cosmetic-only other than Celica, Micaiah (Sacrifice), Byleth (proficiencies in all weapons) and maybe Corrin (for Dragon Veins) though...

In the trailer, we see celine losing 1 hp when she casted warp ragnarok so it might be minimal stuff like that, which I think is neat!

24 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

P.S. Does anyone know what the description for Engaging is in the battle options menu is, please? Maybe I've just forgotten, but I don't remember seeing it in the Marth clip from before. (Also, does the combat video look a lot smaller than the other clips for anyone else?)

It's the same option as before with Marth, I think it says "Integrate with Emblem" next to "Engage", and the video looks fine for me btw

26 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

That said, predicting each Emblem's title actually seems like a fun thing for us to do while waiting for new reveals~ I assume Sigurd is next since we have his assigned partner already, so does anyone want to take a crack at him?

Holy Crusader Emblem? idk, it'd be cool if they consider Sigurd as a crusader. 

-

will update the main post with translations rn

1 hour ago, Crubat said:

But that begs the question of what Leif will be, since Thracian Emblem wouldn't mean anything to anyone in Elyos (or to anyone who doesn't know about FE5 IRL for that matter).

so we still not clear whether emblem has actual hitbox to their attack, or just fluff with actual dmg added to the moving char.

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

Invisible walls I suppose, but yeah

there might be fence maybe. seeing vander clip has the enemy hit pillar when thrown back

1 hour ago, Crubat said:

either holy or crusader imo. leif is uhh.. sidestory emblem? lol

so.. binding, blazing, sacred, radiance, dawn, awakening, fates(? though JP has IF as title?), and house/season emblem? kinda lame compared to grand sounding title everyone else got if its true for byleth XD

so we still not clear whether emblem has actual hitbox to their attack, or just fluff with actual dmg added to the moving char.

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

Invisible walls I suppose, but yeah

there might be fence maybe. seeing vander clip has the enemy hit pillar when thrown back

1 hour ago, Crubat said:

either holy or crusader imo. leif is uhh.. sidestory emblem? lol

so.. binding, blazing, sacred, radiance, dawn, awakening, fates(? though JP has IF as title?), and house/season emblem? kinda lame compared to grand sounding title everyone else got if its true for byleth XD