Fire Emblem: Pyrathi Warlords [Complete]

Jotari

In Chapter 9 of Shadow Dragon Marth invades a neutral kingdom and kills its immortal monarch. The story then moves on without ever giving a second glance at Pyrathi. Pyrathi Warlords asks the question "And then what happened?" We get a view of what Marth might look like to the people who are considered his enemies and what unintended consequences are born from desperate decisions. Similar to Thracia 776, it takes a look at one part of the continent and makes it the main setting of the game. A lot of care was taken so that the game could be consistent with Archanean lore and character endings. Gameplay also follows a familiar Archanean style with a few additional add ons.

Story
*A story with your favourite Archanean characters (everyone loves Radd and Caesar, right?)

*A World Map that dynamically shifts with the plot

*A route split starting from chapter 13. Total 23 chapters for each route (24 if you count the end game as 2) as well as 8 post game chapters.

*Full support lists

*European Names version. A second UPS file where all the names like Caeda and Dolhr are changed to Shiida and Doluna so anyone who has nostalgia for the original European translation can feel catered to.

Gameplay
*Two separate promotion options and methods; one for classical Archanean promotions using Master Seals, one for unique Pyrathi promotions gained via praying Gaiden style

*Crossbows, a weapon type used primarily by the main character. They deal fixed damage based on the weapon, ignoring the user's strength and enemy's defense, making them a lot like FE1 Tomes (this is a lot more useful than it sounds).

*Skills via inventory items. Archanean games don't have skills, but they do have stuff like the Life Orb that grants renewal. There are a host of items that grant skills, which means you need to be careful about inventory slots, but also that you can trade around skills mid battle.

*BEXP granted to *undeployed* units after every battle, so your back bench will passively get stronger, giving you more options as to who to take into battle each chapter.

*Since it's become a thing in modern Fire Emblem, cooking is a mechanic here. In most maps if the character Damian is deployed he will cook a meal at the end of the chapter with the strength of the meal depending on his level.

*Bonus mercenary missions. If Radd is deployed, at the end of most chapters he will have the option to leave the army to do a mercenary job by himself for one chapter, bringing back money and a weapon when he returns.

*Class Change. Use a Master Seal on a Salamander Statue to class change to any other class of the tier. Class skills are not carried over and weapon ranks are reset to C for Tier 1 and B for Tier 2 (though could actually be a buff if you have low weapon ranks).

*Replacement characters. If you have less than 12 characters any time after the first few chapters then generic units with a random name and class will join your army, just like in the other Archanea (DS) games. Mostly for fun, I don't think they'd be necessary as the game isn't that difficult and the BEXP system keeps your back bench healthy.

Known Errors
*The Nihil skill does not work as an item or weapon at present. So the Nietzsche item is useless and Starlight, which is meant to have built in Nihil, isn't as good as it's designed to be. Since Imhullu is in this game, the work around to making Starlight work is to directly teach Nihil to a unit which you can do by using Starlight as an Item. Only one unit can be taught Nihil at a time using this method.

*There seems to be some graphical glitches on Chapter 21 where characters map sprites are weird and don't match their class. It doesn't always happen though.

*There are no invisible stat increases like later games with reclassing have. Which means you can get some negative results if you reclass away from a class that has reached its stat cap. Though I don't expect you'd have much cause to reclass in such a way where this would be noticeable.

*The Weather Staff, Rain Staff and Anew Staff are not used via the Staff command. You need to use them as if they are an item. They still require a staff rank however. Attempting to use one without a staff rank will expend a use without doing anything.

Download Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzhp0f9aeh58tw2/PyrathiProject.zip?dl=0

Link to discord

https://discord.gg/Snh2AAEYWp

Link to character recruitment doc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RfEA3lu9YuyQtTmQbRByphJZl9a-vOcpifNJaCxwBfY/edit?usp=sharing

LryPG7r.png

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Punished Dayni said:

What contributions would be needed from players to get this going? Are we mocking up sprites, how much should we write up, anything you want us avoiding in said writeup?

No, sprites wouldn't really be necessary. More character ideas, possibly stat lines and, if things get going, people can contribute to writing supports and the like.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

No, sprites wouldn't really be necessary. More character ideas, possibly stat lines and, if things get going, people can contribute to writing supports and the like.

If you're requesting stat-lines, knowing more about your musings on mechanics for the games might be helpful. One obvious question is whether tomes will be three types in the GBA style (since this is presumably based on FE8) or one type in the style of the actual Archanaea games.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

More character ideas, possibly stat lines and, if things get going, people can contribute to writing supports and the like.

Understood.

And to add another question or two, will this be using Weapon Triangle or not? Will it use the skills hack if this is off Sacred Stones like Fall of Thabes?

Ooooh this sounds like great fun.

The only thing is, I don't know jack squat about the plotlines of FE1, FE2, or FE3. I played the Shadow Dragon DS remake once but it was so long ago I don't remember jack squat from that either. So I guess I'll probably have to sit this out.

13 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

If you're requesting stat-lines, knowing more about your musings on mechanics for the games might be helpful. One obvious question is whether tomes will be three types in the GBA style (since this is presumably based on FE8) or one type in the style of the actual Archanaea games.

12 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Understood.

And to add another question or two, will this be using Weapon Triangle or not? Will it use the skills hack if this is off Sacred Stones like Fall of Thabes?

I'm thinking of going pure Archanea and having just one magic type. Might change my mind. Skills I'm undecided on, but it definitely won't use the gaiden magic patch I had in Fall of Thabes as that's very glitchy.

4 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

Ooooh this sounds like great fun.

The only thing is, I don't know jack squat about the plotlines of FE1, FE2, or FE3. I played the Shadow Dragon DS remake once but it was so long ago I don't remember jack squat from that either. So I guess I'll probably have to sit this out.

Knowledge of FE2 wouldn't really be needed as it'll have very little to do with that.

To what extent do you care about adherence to Archanean lore? I could easily throw an OC or three at you, but my knowledge of Mystery of the Emblem is somewhere between slim and none, and my knowledge of Shadow Dragon isn't much better.

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm thinking of going pure Archanea and having just one magic type. Might change my mind. Skills I'm undecided on, but it definitely won't use the gaiden magic patch I had in Fall of Thabes as that's very glitchy.

I mean, cool concept, but I feel like they'd have to get the hacking wizard A-team working on that for it to be a proper thing to do again.

I think going with one tome-type is the right thing to do, personally. I fully expect that blizzard will be effective on fire dragons and fire will be effective on ice dragons.

Will you also be emulating the Archanean class system? Y'know, Hunter to Horseman and all that.

On 11/25/2022 at 12:06 AM, Jotari said:

The prologue would take place during the War of Shadows where you fight the Wolf Guard and expel Archanean forces from the land.

I was going to say this seemed like some high-level stuff to start with, but I remembered these guys join in, like, chapter 7 of Shadow Dragon instead of Chapter 20 of New Mystery.

As for the actual request, the provincial governor seems like an obvious choice. Perhaps someone whose own homeland was annexed by Archanea, but who sees this as a positive good compared to their previous administration and is therefore having a hard time understanding the native resistance in Pyrathi. One of the advantages of this kind of character compared to someone like Jarod is that the country they're sticking up for is one we associate more unambiguously with being "the good guys" now that Marth's in charge.

Though, personally, you could have an independent Pyrathi be an absolute mess compared what semblance of order it had under Archanea, with the real point being that maybe it's a little rude to force a population to remain in a country against its will and make them do things "the right way".

It will focus entirely on Pyrathi, though if I can think of a good reason I might that a diversion to the Mysterious Island to create some lore for that. Pyrathi is also called Sacred and Hallowed by Mannu in game, so I might try to construct some lore to explain why that is and what connection it has to dragon kind, and if you have any ideas then feel free to share them.

The problem with using the Mysterious Island, in my reckoning, is that we know so little about it that you'd have to invent whatever lore you gave it.

Maybe Pyrathi has significance as some site of pilgrimage or where some ritual is conducted. Something that would allow it to seem important without needing to have any strategic significance- but that does seem to simply be restating that it's "sacred and hallowed", isn't it? Whatever ends up being done, stone circles should be involved.

tonne

ewwe

6 hours ago, lenticular said:

To what extent do you care about adherence to Archanean lore? I could easily throw an OC or three at you, but my knowledge of Mystery of the Emblem is somewhere between slim and none, and my knowledge of Shadow Dragon isn't much better.

Not a huge lot. Like if there's anything majorly contradictory I'd know what to edit around, but a basic personality shouldn't really have a huge influence from the lore. The only thing that's a bit concerning is that under Archanean lore, magic users are actually a very recent invention and completely associated with Khadein, which under strict adherence would require all magic based characters to be associated with Khadein in some way, but that's such a big limitation in general I think I'm willing to ignore it.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I think going with one tome-type is the right thing to do, personally. I fully expect that blizzard will be effective on fire dragons and fire will be effective on ice dragons.

I don't really expect to have too many dragons wrapped up in the plot.

Will you also be emulating the Archanean class system? Y'know, Hunter to Horseman and all that.

Yes, I plan to. Though I'm not sure about Pegasus->Wyvern. One one hand it would be nice for players as a solid "You are in Archanea" note, but on the other hand, I think it's kind of silly limiting and should have been removed in Shadow Dragon DS. Hunters and Bow Knights are cool though. Especially with some of the hunter battle animations people have out there.

I was going to say this seemed like some high-level stuff to start with, but I remembered these guys join in, like, chapter 7 of Shadow Dragon instead of Chapter 20 of New Mystery.

As for the actual request, the provincial governor seems like an obvious choice. Perhaps someone whose own homeland was annexed by Archanea, but who sees this as a positive good compared to their previous administration and is therefore having a hard time understanding the native resistance in Pyrathi. One of the advantages of this kind of character compared to someone like Jarod is that the country they're sticking up for is one we associate more unambiguously with being "the good guys" now that Marth's in charge.

Do you think the Governor could be someone we seen already from Marth's cast? Boah seems like he could have worked, but then he went a died. Malledeus could also work as he is an administrator of sorts. Of course there's no need to be obsessive about forcing in existing characters. There is more freedom in using original characters too.

The problem with using the Mysterious Island, in my reckoning, is that we know so little about it that you'd have to invent whatever lore you gave it.

Per my last comment, that's the freedom aspect. Because we know so little about it, anything can be done with it.

I'd love to throw in one OC I have, but I really only have a personality for them, so I feel as if I type it out I'm just yeeting my OC into a fangame and then proceed to ghost the entire project, since I don't even have growths/stats in mind, lol.

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Not a huge lot. Like if there's anything majorly contradictory I'd know what to edit around, but a basic personality shouldn't really have a huge influence from the lore. The only thing that's a bit concerning is that under Archanean lore, magic users are actually a very recent invention and completely associated with Khadein, which under strict adherence would require all magic based characters to be associated with Khadein in some way, but that's such a big limitation in general I think I'm willing to ignore it.

Let's do this.

First, let me introduce you to Genevieve. Think of her as a cross between L'Arachel and Meg. She's a member of the minor nobility and has had a very sheltered upbringing. She yearns to get out and see the world in all its splendor... but she's also a little bit terrified of it. She has a personality along the lines of the quixotic, overbearing nobelwoman (L'Arachel, Serra, Clair), but tinged with a slight layer of cowardice. She has a good heart, though, and her character arc (to whatever extent it exists) would be about overcoming her fears and actually getting out and really living life to the fullest outside her family's manor. Mechanically, she is an armour knight -- got to have lots of armour to protect from whatever's out there! -- but with an atypical stat spread for the class. A similar sort of stat distribution to Meg, except not terrible. Or like what you'd get if you reclassed a pegasus knight into an armour class. So, higher speed than what you'd expect for an armour knight, but lower strength and def.

Next up, we have Columba who is a pretty boy archer. He's androgynous in appearance, almost elfin (possibly he has a tiny bit of manakete ancestry five or six generations back?). He's also completely oblivious. He's completely asexual and aromantic, and he doesn't notice that women tend to fawn over him, and even if he did then he wouldn't know why and certainly wouldn't have any interest in acting on it. Instead, he's mostly interested in reading historical novels and playing chess (which he's pretty good at). His supports would generally tend towards the wholesome, as he and (female character) initially have some awkwardness as she tries to flirt with him and he is oblivious, but once they get over that, they form a strong platonic friendship instead. Stat-wise, he's a fairly typical archer. Compared to other archers, he has slightly lower strength, but slightly higher luck and res.

Finally, I give you Poppy. She is an incorigible flirt but, in a departure for Fire Emblem, not also a creepy asshole. She is pansexual and will flirt with basically anyone, since she can find beauty in basically anyone. However, she's actually self-aware and will stop if the other person isn't into it. From her perspective, it's only fun when both people are having a good time. She's very charming, but she's also flighty, terrible at committing to anyone or anything, and tends not to take things seriously, even when they deserve it. She's a cavalier, which she only took up because she figured that it was something that would make both the ladies and the gents swoon. And while she was right about that, she's also found that she's actually very good at it. In terms of stats, she has higher strength and luck than a typical cavalier, but lower than average def since she refuses to wear a helmet that would stop people from seeing her pretty face and her long hair flowing behind her as she rides past. (I've also noticed that she would work well as one half of a christmas knights duo, but that wasn't how I originally conceived of her.)

Feel free to use any, all or none of these, and to change as much or as little as you care to about them.

2 hours ago, FlyingKitsune said:

I'd love to throw in one OC I have, but I really only have a personality for them, so I feel as if I type it out I'm just yeeting my OC into a fangame and then proceed to ghost the entire project, since I don't even have growths/stats in mind, lol.

Oh sure, that's almost exactly what I'm looking for. That and maybe some support writing down the road. Growths and stats, while appreciated, would inevitably have to be altered to suit when a unit actually shows up in the game and what available characters of similar and different types are available.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:

Let's do this.

First, let me introduce you to Genevieve. Think of her as a cross between L'Arachel and Meg. She's a member of the minor nobility and has had a very sheltered upbringing. She yearns to get out and see the world in all its splendor... but she's also a little bit terrified of it. She has a personality along the lines of the quixotic, overbearing nobelwoman (L'Arachel, Serra, Clair), but tinged with a slight layer of cowardice. She has a good heart, though, and her character arc (to whatever extent it exists) would be about overcoming her fears and actually getting out and really living life to the fullest outside her family's manor. Mechanically, she is an armour knight -- got to have lots of armour to protect from whatever's out there! -- but with an atypical stat spread for the class. A similar sort of stat distribution to Meg, except not terrible. Or like what you'd get if you reclassed a pegasus knight into an armour class. So, higher speed than what you'd expect for an armour knight, but lower strength and def.

Definitely something I could use. Though with the chaos of the region of the time of the story it's going to be more thrust into the real world than an active choice.

Next up, we have Columba who is a pretty boy archer. He's androgynous in appearance, almost elfin (possibly he has a tiny bit of manakete ancestry five or six generations back?). He's also completely oblivious. He's completely asexual and aromantic, and he doesn't notice that women tend to fawn over him, and even if he did then he wouldn't know why and certainly wouldn't have any interest in acting on it. Instead, he's mostly interested in reading historical novels and playing chess (which he's pretty good at). His supports would generally tend towards the wholesome, as he and (female character) initially have some awkwardness as she tries to flirt with him and he is oblivious, but once they get over that, they form a strong platonic friendship instead. Stat-wise, he's a fairly typical archer. Compared to other archers, he has slightly lower strength, but slightly higher luck and res.

Having a little bit of manakete blood a few generations back is definitely something that could be common in Pyrathi (even if it's contradicted by a line in Awakening, but said line in Awakening can be contradicted even within the confines of Awakening alone! So it doesn't upset me much). Overall I like this character concept a lot.

Finally, I give you Poppy. She is an incorigible flirt but, in a departure for Fire Emblem, not also a creepy asshole. She is pansexual and will flirt with basically anyone, since she can find beauty in basically anyone. However, she's actually self-aware and will stop if the other person isn't into it. From her perspective, it's only fun when both people are having a good time. She's very charming, but she's also flighty, terrible at committing to anyone or anything, and tends not to take things seriously, even when they deserve it. She's a cavalier, which she only took up because she figured that it was something that would make both the ladies and the gents swoon. And while she was right about that, she's also found that she's actually very good at it. In terms of stats, she has higher strength and luck than a typical cavalier, but lower than average def since she refuses to wear a helmet that would stop people from seeing her pretty face and her long hair flowing behind her as she rides past. (I've also noticed that she would work well as one half of a christmas knights duo, but that wasn't how I originally conceived of her.)

Feel free to use any, all or none of these, and to change as much or as little as you care to about them.

Not sure I could write a character like that without it cropping up naturally for me. She might end up coming across a bit conceited and arrogant if I do it, but it's something to work with.

The only thing that's a bit concerning is that under Archanean lore, magic users are actually a very recent invention and completely associated with Khadein, which under strict adherence would require all magic based characters to be associated with Khadein in some way, but that's such a big limitation in general I think I'm willing to ignore it.

Yes, I plan to. Though I'm not sure about Pegasus->Wyvern. One one hand it would be nice for players as a solid "You are in Archanea" note, but on the other hand, I think it's kind of silly limiting and should have been removed in Shadow Dragon DS.

Nonsense. Keep the weird stuff- it doesn't fit with Fire Emblem convention, but the first game was building its own lore rather than refining series convention, and I like those weird details. It's goofy, but contributes flavor and identity, the main reasons to return to Archanea at all. In other words,

E M B R A C E      T H E      G O O F

I don't really expect to have too many dragons wrapped up in the plot.

Put it in anyway. Just in case. As a fun little detail.

Continuing to discuss mechanics, I'm assuming there's no DS-style forging or reclassing, but maybe bosses could have "forged" weapons where the regular variants might be kinda garbo?

Do you think the Governor could be someone we seen already from Marth's cast? Boah seems like he could have worked, but then he went a died. Malledeus could also work as he is an administrator of sorts. Of course there's no need to be obsessive about forcing in existing characters. There is more freedom in using original characters too.

If not "could be" than "should be", though I think more of a martial character would fit better.

The advantage of Archanea characters for this is that they have very little in-game personality, so you can basically project whatever you want onto them. The disadvantage is that others might have a vision of them which is very different. Personally, I think it could be a neat addition.

Per my last comment, that's the freedom aspect. Because we know so little about it, anything can be done with it.

Yeah, but it's kinda without form, so there's no inherent value in fitting it in unless there is a form you find you need to suit the plot. Which you may find.

With respect to religion, Mannu uses a firestone and worships a being called "Salamander", so some sort of fire-themed religion might work. I don't know. Look at Talos some for inspiration, I guess.

Now then. Characters. OCs. The Captain Crunch of the character world. Let's go.

Mallory

"You despise me because I honor the traditions of my ancestors. I despise you because you do not."

A high-ranking member of the religious cult faction. A swordmaster with an unsettling presence. Though firmly and often violently against any outside influences on Pyrathi's culture or politics, he seems quite genial with any other nationalists opposed to Archanea's imperialism, excepting they be radicals. The radicals he despises as having "no people and no homeland" due to their rejection of Pyrathi's traditions. Bad blood exists between him and other, more moderate members of the cult who may want to form a temporary alliance with the radicals ("only to be stabbed in the back once the Archaneans are gone") or who want permission to worship and operate autonomously under Archanea ("content to rely on the continuing goodwill of some foreign emperor"). Mallory actually believes what he says and follows those ideas to their logical conclusions, which has helped him garner support and move up in the hierarchy despite being generally unpopular with actual administrators. He's not a stupid leader, but his ability to win battles might not help him win the war.

Damian

Formerly (for obvious reasons) the personal chef to Mannu. Hailing from Pyrathi's back-country, he has a slight funny accent. Supports between Damian and other characters would be a great way to delve into the sort of person Mannu might've been when he wasn't a throne-bound boss, but he's not an entirely reliable narrator. Though mostly indifferent to politics, he has a tendency to stop short of saying anything negative about Mannu. It's rude to speak ill of the dead, and impolite to talk rudely about your superiors. Even the dead ones. He also tends to weave embellished tales which are overly long and full of superfluous details while skipping over more important things he either doesn't know or doesn't really care about. This applies to any story he tells, even ones about his personal life, sometimes casually mentioning some absurd event while spending hours recounting routine fishing trips. He always carries around his lucky charm- a cast iron skillet which is older than most of the cast and more valuable to him than the love of women (he is heterosexual). If you damage the seasoning, he will kill you. He joins as a fighter with high weapon rank, high luck, extremely high strength, and even more extreme skill. His other stats are kinda mid, but his high joining level means he can promote to warrior and function as a sniper if one-shotting enemies with effective weapons isn't working out for you.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Oh sure, that's almost exactly what I'm looking for. That and maybe some support writing down the road. Growths and stats, while appreciated, would inevitably have to be altered to suit when a unit actually shows up in the game and what available characters of similar and different types are available.

Oh, if so, then that's cool.
Blase
She looks like... *Stares at current pfp.
If you need a full body design later, then I could give a full body shot.

Before we go into personality, let's get into where I'd have her stand. I'd make her... Okay wow, I forgot there weren't any infantry classes that use lances except for soldier. So let's make her a Pegasus knight. As for what she'd be loyal to, she'd probably be one o' those usual wandering character tropes who joins later on because every other side kinda sucks and they're not dumb. She honestly just joined just to help stop people from dying in streets, and to make sure the village she comes from doesn't get embroiled in war or something. She doesn't quite like Marth's forces because she thinks they wouldn't get their problems, but honestly politics overall bore her. She was born into some nameless farming village but she liked riding horses enough to dream of flying, and... Well, she achieved it alright, after finding one. She says that she likes to keep to herself and her pegasus (named Mar), buuuut she can't actually handle being alone for a long period of time. She's fairly prideful, even if she's discouraged extremely quickly, but she does keep in mind what people say as criticisms, even when angered. She doesn't take insults very well, and is subject to getting angry fast. I'll keep the stats up to change because I don't want to accidentally minmax stats or make her too bad, but she has somewhat middling strength, good hp and speed, above-average luck, and average everything else. For growths, uh, good attack, good speed, above average skill, average everything else? Honestly, her stats could be kinda whatever it needs to be. Anyway, her supports would probably either focus on either her self-consciousness, being discouraged easily, pride, or bantering with others. She doesn't have any strange accents, and speaks quite straightforwardly.

I'm up for writing supports 90% of time, so I can help with that.

Edited by FlyingKitsune

Okay so I'm not used to creating OCs for fan projects like these so if I do anything wrong please let me know

Name: Makoto 

Class: Myrmidon 

Backstory: Someone that looked up to strong authority figures all her life, she wanted to be a Paladin but due to her father and uncle's many sexist beliefs (like that women can't be paladins because it's too masculine for them) she always struggled with her gender and wanted to become a man, so when she became of age she did anything she could to bulk up and do things that many in her village found too masculine just to spite them. After a while, she became quite capable with a sword and was able to take out multiple targets without much trouble. Due to her masculine appearance many people mistake her for a man and she prefers it that way, after a while she gained a reputation as a respectable swordsman and was feared by many bandit groups across the area. When Makoto hears about Marth's actions at Pyrathi she is disgusted that he would leave the area in such chaos and wants to journey to the kingdom and help in any way she can. 

Personality: Very cold and reserved to strangers, she doesn't like talking much and due to her trauma as a child she doesn't like being alone around men. She also has gender dysphoria and tried to talk to many village elders about the issue but wasn't successful in any of her attempts. She likes to help in any way she can and is more than willing to sacrifice her well being for the sake of others. She is a weapon nut and loves talking about swords and other weaponry but isn't very good with things that are traditionally feminine like cooking and doesn't feel comfortable doing things like that. Due to her experiences with men, she feels most comfortable around other women in her mercenary groups but isn't able to make friends with them due to not really being able to relate to them. She doesn't like being insulted and will be more than happy to knock someone out if they anger her enough, she was known in her village for being remarkably tough just like her father, and was seen winning many bar fights against some of the toughest bandits in the area. She also has a great sense of humor despite her trauma.

Stats: Great strength and hp, slow speed, average luck, and average everything else. Honestly, her stats will be whatever you see fit OP, I don't mind it too much. 

Supports: Her supports will revolve around her gender dysphoria and accepting her gender, resolving her fear and trauma of men, and being comfortable with who she is. There also can be goofy supports too. 

Andddd that's about it! I hope it's something you can use, I'm not very good at writing characters so I apologize if this isn't what you're looking for. I'm not very in touch with the lore of the Archanea games so I apologize if the backstory of Makoto deviates too far from the source material, you can change whatever you see fit about her.

Edited by Fist of The Phantom Star

On 11/28/2022 at 10:37 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Mallory

"You despise me because I honor the traditions of my ancestors. I despise you because you do not."

A high-ranking member of the religious cult faction. A swordmaster with an unsettling presence. Though firmly and often violently against any outside influences on Pyrathi's culture or politics, he seems quite genial with any other nationalists opposed to Archanea's imperialism, excepting they be radicals. The radicals he despises as having "no people and no homeland" due to their rejection of Pyrathi's traditions. Bad blood exists between him and other, more moderate members of the cult who may want to form a temporary alliance with the radicals ("only to be stabbed in the back once the Archaneans are gone") or who want permission to worship and operate autonomously under Archanea ("content to rely on the continuing goodwill of some foreign emperor"). Mallory actually believes what he says and follows those ideas to their logical conclusions, which has helped him garner support and move up in the hierarchy despite being generally unpopular with actual administrators. He's not a stupid leader, but his ability to win battles might not help him win the war.

I'm going to put this guy into the prologue along with the leader of the Mannu faction (who I've decided to make female, since they'll more or less be the evil Fire Emblem cult trope and we've never actually had a female leader of such a trope; course I'm also going to try and make them less evil and more nuanced than the typical Fire Emblem baby eaters). I hope to have a demo of the prologue and the first two chapters up next week, and once I have that polished I'll take the project to Fire Emblem Universe and see if I can find any more people to help with the technical side of things (namely portraits and map editing, there are a lot of publicly available portraits, but I'd like them to look consistent so if I can get just one person to do all of them it'd be great, especially if I can find someone who has already don a load of Archanea portraits. Map editing I can do, but it's time consuming and other people can do it better).

Damian

Formerly (for obvious reasons) the personal chef to Mannu. Hailing from Pyrathi's back-country, he has a slight funny accent. Supports between Damian and other characters would be a great way to delve into the sort of person Mannu might've been when he wasn't a throne-bound boss, but he's not an entirely reliable narrator. Though mostly indifferent to politics, he has a tendency to stop short of saying anything negative about Mannu. It's rude to speak ill of the dead, and impolite to talk rudely about your superiors. Even the dead ones. He also tends to weave embellished tales which are overly long and full of superfluous details while skipping over more important things he either doesn't know or doesn't really care about. This applies to any story he tells, even ones about his personal life, sometimes casually mentioning some absurd event while spending hours recounting routine fishing trips. He always carries around his lucky charm- a cast iron skillet which is older than most of the cast and more valuable to him than the love of women (he is heterosexual). If you damage the seasoning, he will kill you. He joins as a fighter with high weapon rank, high luck, extremely high strength, and even more extreme skill. His other stats are kinda mid, but his high joining level means he can promote to warrior and function as a sniper if one-shotting enemies with effective weapons isn't working out for you.

Rather than fighter, I'm legitimately thinking of making this guy the novelty chef class that @Shanty Pete's 1st Mate came up with once. It would depend on whether I could convince someone to find animations for it, but it could definitely work.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, FlyingKitsune said:

Oh, if so, then that's cool.
Blase
She looks like... *Stares at current pfp.
If you need a full body design later, then I could give a full body shot.

Before we go into personality, let's get into where I'd have her stand. I'd make her... Okay wow, I forgot there weren't any infantry classes that use lances except for soldier. So let's make her a Pegasus knight. As for what she'd be loyal to, she'd probably be one o' those usual wandering character tropes who joins later on because every other side kinda sucks and they're not dumb. She honestly just joined just to help stop people from dying in streets, and to make sure the village she comes from doesn't get embroiled in war or something. She doesn't quite like Marth's forces because she thinks they wouldn't get their problems, but honestly politics overall bore her. She was born into some nameless farming village but she liked riding horses enough to dream of flying, and... Well, she achieved it alright, after finding one. She says that she likes to keep to herself and her pegasus (named Mar), buuuut she can't actually handle being alone for a long period of time. She's fairly prideful, even if she's discouraged extremely quickly, but she does keep in mind what people say as criticisms, even when angered. She doesn't take insults very well, and is subject to getting angry fast. I'll keep the stats up to change because I don't want to accidentally minmax stats or make her too bad, but she has somewhat middling strength, good hp and speed, above-average luck, and average everything else. For growths, uh, good attack, good speed, above average skill, average everything else? Honestly, her stats could be kinda whatever it needs to be. Anyway, her supports would probably either focus on either her self-consciousness, being discouraged easily, pride, or bantering with others. She doesn't have any strange accents, and speaks quite straightforwardly.

I'm up for writing supports 90% of time, so I can help with that.

Rather than a small Pyrathi village, I think this character could work as a blow in from Macedonia, the nation where the White Wings come from. This could give more of an outsider's perspective and also let us have some insight as to what happens to characters like Minerva after Mystery of the Emblem.

13 hours ago, Fist of The Phantom Star said:

Okay so I'm not used to creating OCs for fan projects like these so if I do anything wrong please let me know

Name: Makoto 

Class: Myrmidon 

Backstory: Someone that looked up to strong authority figures all her life, she wanted to be a Paladin but due to her father and uncle's many sexist beliefs (like that women can't be paladins because it's too masculine for them) she always struggled with her gender and wanted to become a man, so when she became of age she did anything she could to bulk up and do things that many in her village found too masculine just to spite them. After a while, she became quite capable with a sword and was able to take out multiple targets without much trouble. Due to her masculine appearance many people mistake her for a man and she prefers it that way, after a while she gained a reputation as a respectable swordsman and was feared by many bandit groups across the area. When Makoto hears about Marth's actions at Pyrathi she is disgusted that he would leave the area in such chaos and wants to journey to the kingdom and help in any way she can. 

Personality: Very cold and reserved to strangers, she doesn't like talking much and due to her trauma as a child she doesn't like being alone around men. She also has gender dysphoria and tried to talk to many village elders about the issue but wasn't successful in any of her attempts. She likes to help in any way she can and is more than willing to sacrifice her well being for the sake of others. She is a weapon nut and loves talking about swords and other weaponry but isn't very good with things that are traditionally feminine like cooking and doesn't feel comfortable doing things like that. Due to her experiences with men, she feels most comfortable around other women in her mercenary groups but isn't able to make friends with them due to not really being able to relate to them. She doesn't like being insulted and will be more than happy to knock someone out if they anger her enough, she was known in her village for being remarkably tough just like her father, and was seen winning many bar fights against some of the toughest bandits in the area. She also has a great sense of humor despite her trauma.

Stats: Great strength and hp, slow speed, average luck, and average everything else. Honestly, her stats will be whatever you see fit OP, I don't mind it too much. 

Supports: Her supports will revolve around her gender dysphoria and accepting her gender, resolving her fear and trauma of men, and being comfortable with who she is. There also can be goofy supports too. 

Andddd that's about it! I hope it's something you can use, I'm not very good at writing characters so I apologize if this isn't what you're looking for. I'm not very in touch with the lore of the Archanea games so I apologize if the backstory of Makoto deviates too far from the source material, you can change whatever you see fit about her.

That's all good. I'm only a bit unsure of the name. As Makoto seems a bit too Japanese for a non-Hoshidon Fire Emblem name. I'm in need of a Jeigan, so I think I'll make her father a paladin as a playable character too. The story is all about resolving conflict, so having personality conflicts within the protagonists' group works on a thematic level.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm only a bit unsure of the name. As Makoto seems a bit too Japanese for a non-Hoshidon Fire Emblem name. I'm in need of a Jeigan, so I think I'll make her father a paladin as a playable character too. The story is all about resolving conflict, so having personality conflicts within the protagonists' group works on a thematic level.

Sounds good to me, man. Some other names I had in mind were Ash, Cleo, and Leo, hopefully any of those work better. If they don't, I'm cool with thinking up some other ideas.

15 hours ago, Jotari said:

Rather than a small Pyrathi village, I think this character could work as a blow in from Macedonia, the nation where the White Wings come from. This could give more of an outsider's perspective and also let us have some insight as to what happens to characters like Minerva after Mystery of the Emblem.

That works too, I'll have to reread up my lore knowledge and stuff. I almost forgot about Macedonia, lol.

15 hours ago, Jotari said:

Rather than fighter, I'm legitimately thinking of making this guy the novelty chef class that @Shanty Pete's 1st Mate came up with once. It would depend on whether I could convince someone to find animations for it, but it could definitely work.

Hey, thanks! For the record, I don't think I "invented" the class, but I will accept credit for popularizing it. Although it might be an awkward fit in Archanea... I dunno.

One character idea I had - what if Mannu had a child? Here's what I'm thinking - Mannu had a Mage Dragon wife whom he banished after learning of her pregnancy (any offspring would be competition for the throne). She traveled to Dolhr, gave birth to her daughter, then perished to Anri's forces while fighting for Medeus. The daughter, after learning of her provenance, travels to Pyrathi. Few believe her at first, but her ability to use Mannu's Firestone - as well as her mother's Magestone - convinces most of Mannu's followers. The Dragon Princess Rathi, named for the country her mother left behind, soon presents a serious threat to the island's administration. 

Thoughts on this? Hopefully it doesn't tread too much on plans you've already come up with. Although I understand if they turn out to be incompatible. 

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Hey, thanks! For the record, I don't think I "invented" the class, but I will accept credit for popularizing it. Although it might be an awkward fit in Archanea... I dunno.

One character idea I had - what if Mannu had a child? Here's what I'm thinking - Mannu had a Mage Dragon wife whom he banished after learning of her pregnancy (any offspring would be competition for the throne). She traveled to Dolhr, gave birth to her daughter, then perished to Anri's forces while fighting for Medeus. The daughter, after learning of her provenance, travels to Pyrathi. Few believe her at first, but her ability to use Mannu's Firestone - as well as her mother's Magestone - convinces most of Mannu's followers. The Dragon Princess Rathi, named for the country her mother left behind, soon presents a serious threat to the island's administration. 

Thoughts on this? Hopefully it doesn't tread too much on plans you've already come up with. Although I understand if they turn out to be incompatible. 

I'm already thinking of a plot similar to that. With the Mannu followers trying to install another manakete as a leader. Only to make it a little less legitimate, I think it would be better if it wasn't Mannu's child, and just a random Manakete kid they're trying to install as a puppet.

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm already thinking of a plot similar to that. With the Mannu followers trying to install another manakete as a leader. Only to make it a little less legitimate, I think it would be better if it wasn't Mannu's child, and just a random Manakete kid they're trying to install as a puppet.

Kind of like how Izuka used Pelleas? That's certainly one way to do it. I guess it depends on how villainous you want the Mannu followers (or at least, their leaders) to come across. I love Izuka as a villain, but he certainly wasn't a "morally gray" type!

Hm... what if the game's narrative were to leave it ambiguous as to whether this "heir" is actually legitimate or not? In that sense, it would be less about characters being misled by a lie, and more about the question of faith versus evidence. Is the belief in something more important than the actual proof behind it? Is it okay to make a judgement about whether something is "true" or "false" by whether the answer benefits you, or offers you comfort, rather than by the hard evidence? And where facts are lacking, how much stock should be put in the story a person tells about themselves? This could leave audiences clamoring too, as the debate over a character like Priam attests to.

Of course, there is a solid case that not answering this kind of question in-narrative is unsatisfying to the player, perhaps to the extent of being called a "plot hole". Regardless, this is your story at its core, so I can respect whichever direction you choose to take it in.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Kind of like how Izuka used Pelleas? That's certainly one way to do it. I guess it depends on how villainous you want the Mannu followers (or at least, their leaders) to come across. I love Izuka as a villain, but he certainly wasn't a "morally gray" type!

Hm... what if the game's narrative were to leave it ambiguous as to whether this "heir" is actually legitimate or not? In that sense, it would be less about characters being misled by a lie, and more about the question of faith versus evidence. Is the belief in something more important than the actual proof behind it? Is it okay to make a judgement about whether something is "true" or "false" by whether the answer benefits you, or offers you comfort, rather than by the hard evidence? And where facts are lacking, how much stock should be put in the story a person tells about themselves? This could leave audiences clamoring too, as the debate over a character like Priam attests to.

Of course, there is a solid case that not answering this kind of question in-narrative is unsatisfying to the player, perhaps to the extent of being called a "plot hole". Regardless, this is your story at its core, so I can respect whichever direction you choose to take it in.

Yeah, something like Izuka. Only they don't necessarily need to be evil. Izuka's plot, while definitely shady, wasn't inherently evil. He was evil because he was a puppy kicking date rapist who was secretly working for a foreign power the entire time. Regardless, I do have plans for a manakete heir (though it'll be male rather than female, as young manakete girls are an overplayed trope compared to the gender inverse, of which there is only Nils).

I plan on releasing chapters sequentially as I go through to get more suggestion for characters and to have a dynamic feel for the plot, as I'm still not sure what the end game will be. Right now I have a fairly good idea where to go with the first four chapters, but after I'm done with them I'll see where the characters naturally take me next.

Edited by Jotari

On 11/28/2022 at 11:35 PM, Jotari said:

I'm going to put this guy into the prologue along with the leader of the Mannu faction (who I've decided to make female, since they'll more or less be the evil Fire Emblem cult trope and we've never actually had a female leader of such a trope; course I'm also going to try and make them less evil and more nuanced than the typical Fire Emblem baby eaters). I hope to have a demo of the prologue and the first two chapters up next week, and once I have that polished I'll take the project to Fire Emblem Universe and see if I can find any more people to help with the technical side of things (namely portraits and map editing, there are a lot of publicly available portraits, but I'd like them to look consistent so if I can get just one person to do all of them it'd be great, especially if I can find someone who has already don a load of Archanea portraits. Map editing I can do, but it's time consuming and other people can do it better).

So...you like it?

On 11/28/2022 at 11:35 PM, Jotari said:

Interesting, but wasn't that a dagger class? I'm not sure we're adding new weapon types here, and I probably wouldn't support it given that I think that Pegasus Knight should promote to Dracoknight. Either way, would it be a promoted class in that case? Would there be an associated base class? In some sense I'm just asking for a refresher on what Shanty Pete said, but it has some broader application to the design as a whole.

On 11/29/2022 at 2:52 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

On 11/29/2022 at 8:13 PM, Jotari said:

For additional spice, but them on the payroll of the bandit king. The local pirate lord, Bill, acquired a firestone with his nefarious powers of buying it at an agreed upon price. He hooks the kid up with one and does what he can without getting caught to get him on the throne, all in expectation of future financial benefit from lax piracy policy or his crew getting an actual commission from the state. Aiding his plot is the most elite band of bandits ever born- Ron, Steve, and Gene.

22 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, something like Izuka. Only they don't necessarily need to be evil. Izuka's plot, while definitely shady, wasn't inherently evil. He was evil because he was a puppy kicking date rapist who was secretly working for a foreign power the entire time. Regardless, I do have plans for a manakete heir (though it'll be male rather than female, as young manakete girls are an overplayed trope compared to the gender inverse, of which there is only Nils).

I plan on releasing chapters sequentially as I go through to get more suggestion for characters and to have a dynamic feel for the plot, as I'm still not sure what the end game will be. Right now I have a fairly good idea where to go with the first four chapters, but after I'm done with them I'll see where the characters naturally take me next.

You could make the manakete older regardless, maybe not a full adult but at least mid-to-late teens. Mannu and Morzas and Xemcel all look pretty old, so it's not like manaketes all age at a near-zero pace.

That aside, I'm actually very excited to see what you come up with and where the plot shall go.

I have another character:

Spoiler

Virgin

A thief who looks a lot like Chad from FE6 but with his portrait mirrored.

I hope you like it.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

55 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

For additional spice, but them on the payroll of the bandit king. The local pirate lord, Bill, acquired a firestone with his nefarious powers of buying it at an agreed upon price. He hooks the kid up with one and does what he can without getting caught to get him on the throne, all in expectation of future financial benefit from lax piracy policy or his crew getting an actual commission from the state. Aiding his plot is the most elite band of bandits ever born- Ron, Steve, and Gene.

Finally, some pirates with respectable names, like "Pete"! None o' these "Barths" or "Nedatas" scurryin' around akin ta bilge rats.

56 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Virgin

A thief who looks a lot like Chad from FE6 but with his portrait mirrored.

Give him a personal skill where he never is affected by negative terrain or enemy traps. Because he's always looking downward.

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

Regardless, I do have plans for a manakete heir (though it'll be male rather than female, as young manakete girls are an overplayed trope compared to the gender inverse, of which there is only Nils).

That is fair - I don't believe we've ever had a playable young-looking Manakete unit. Tellius was kind enough to give us Kurthnaga, but of course, Laguz are their own thing.

You could make the manakete older regardless, maybe not a full adult but at least mid-to-late teens. Mannu and Morzas and Xemcel all look pretty old, so it's not like manaketes all age at a near-zero pace.

I would broadly expect Fire Dragons and Mage Dragons to age more rapidly than Divine and Earth Dragons, albeit still much more slowly than humans. There's also the case to be made that Tiki's especially slow aging is due to her extended naps, and that she would've aged far quicker were she not usually in torpor.