32 playable characters confirmed, & maybe more? (Leaks mentioned)

martystarboy

On 12/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Just a random thought, but we know there's another nation in Gradlon, right? What if we get some characters from there, and not the Four Hounds? (I can see that making up for Three Houses' lack of recruitable Agarthans.) That would mean we'd get an extra 6 characters, right? Add those six, maybe one or two more for random recruits (basically the standard Villager + a wild card), an enemy recruit if that's not counted in, and we're on our way to 40-ish characters. The DLC characters will probably bring us up to 45, assuming Gradlon actually functions as a kingdom despite being sealed. 

Gradlon characters will likely be restricted to the DLC, as the symbol for the DLC is the one used for Gradlon. There was an extra tab in the unit profile screen in the “My First Fire Emblem” trailer that had a wreath symbol, but that’s probably for emblems and miscellaneous characters (which COULD include Gradlon characters at some point). Also, I don’t know if any of the Hounds besides Zephia are from Gradlon. Considering that this is an anniversary game, I wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of the Hounds were playable in the base game, since why not celebrate the villains, too? We only have Mauve confirmed, though, so again we’re at minimum of 32. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, martystarboy said:

There was an extra tab in the unit profile screen in the “My First Fire Emblem” trailer that had a wreath symbol, but that’s probably for emblems and miscellaneous characters

I think Emblems are referenced with their own flag icon, which is seen in Relay Trials as follows (the purple Ring flag at the end):

0qNSnWm.png

It would be nice to have an even split of characters between the four bigger countries, and maybe an even split between the protagonist country and four hounds. It’s very close so it feels like it should be that way.

I’m hoping at least everyone on that sheet for the most part is playable. I’d really like Gris but I doubt he will be. But then again we’ve had equally villainous feeling characters playable before.

I kind of feel like we could get either Veyle or Zephia, but maybe not both? I dunno, I just feel like one of them has to stick around so that Sombron isn't just completely alone by the endgame. Though, seeing as how FE generally writes its female villains, they're more likely to be more sympathetic Camus or Sephiran types than Gharnefs or Thaleses. 

Have we ever had a female Gharnef? Closest I can think of is probably Aversa, not sure if Engage will change that but I’m kind of doubtful. 

And I could see both. Veyle feels more like an Azura currently so I’m definitely expecting her to join. They could be mutually exclusive though I suppose, but it’s really dependent on what them being on your side even means. That said like Awakening it could just be a basically post game addition too for either or both. 

Nuibaba's gender in the og Gaiden is debatable. She was referred to with masculine pronouns, but the suffix of here name 'baba' literally means 'old woman', meanwhile the 'nui' means 'mountain' in Taiwanese, which I presume was meant to infer that she is named 'old woman of the mountain', so her being made more noticeably female makes sense in SoV.

As for her being a Gharnef, I personally wouldn't consider her one. She's rather minor in the grand scheme of things and is more so a mini-boss rather than actually being prominent in the story, whereas Gharnef's are direct underlings to their specific evil dragon/deity or is the main person orchestrating the antagonists events behind the scenes, making Jedah the Gharnef of Gaiden/SoV. Aversa also wouldn't be a Gharnef since Validar would be in Awakening. Zephia is looking like she will be the first female Gharnef which is exciting.

14 minutes ago, Azz said:

Nuibaba's gender in the og Gaiden is debatable. She was referred to with masculine pronouns, but the suffix of here name 'baba' literally means 'old woman', meanwhile the 'nui' means 'mountain' in Taiwanese, which I presume was meant to infer that she is named 'old woman of the mountain', so her being made more noticeably female makes sense in SoV.

Well, TIL the gender change for Nuibaba didn't come completely out of nowhere.

14 minutes ago, Azz said:

As for her being a Gharnef, I personally wouldn't consider her one. She's rather minor in the grand scheme of things and is more so a mini-boss rather than actually being prominent in the story, whereas Gharnef's are direct underlings to their specific evil dragon/deity or is the main person orchestrating the antagonists events behind the scenes, making Jedah the Gharnef of Gaiden/SoV. Aversa also wouldn't be a Gharnef since Validar would be in Awakening. Zephia is looking like she will be the first female Gharnef which is exciting.

Yes, Zephia's given me "true Gharnef" vibes from the start, whereas Hyacinth just screams "red herring." Best case scenario for me would be Zephia and/or Veyle are the true villains and Hyacinth ends up becoming an unexpected ally. Bestest case scenario, the villain is Veyle, because dragon loli is an archetype that desperately needs a daring change like this and I would love to recruit Zephia so I can put her in decent clothes.

But I seriously doubt I'll get all of these wishes haha. I'd be content just with one of the girls being the first proper female Gharnef, as you said. Female villains in this series tend to go one of two ways: Sympathetic or evil dominatrixes - and either way, they only ever amount to underlings. It'd be neat to see a girl head Evil Cult Inc. for once.

48 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, Zephia's given me "true Gharnef" vibes from the start, whereas Hyacinth just screams "red herring." Best case scenario for me would be Zephia and/or Veyle are the true villains and Hyacinth ends up becoming an unexpected ally. Bestest case scenario, the villain is Veyle, because dragon loli is an archetype that desperately needs a daring change like this and I would love to recruit Zephia so I can put her in decent clothes.

But I seriously doubt I'll get all of these wishes haha. I'd be content just with one of the girls being the first proper female Gharnef, as you said. Female villains in this series tend to go one of two ways: Sympathetic or evil dominatrixes - and either way, they only ever amount to underlings. It'd be neat to see a girl head Evil Cult Inc. for once.

I have a feeling in the og Gaiden, Nuibaba was just supposed to look super ugly, like a traditional witch but they for some reason didn't give her feminine pronouns and made her an arcanist rather than a witch because they weren't able to programme her to be a differently behaving witch that didn't move for whatever reason.

Hyacinth gives me major Gangrel vibes, which fits in to the Michalis architype of solely desiring power for themselves (in Hyacinth's case, it's knowledge and wisdom as mentioned in the Elusia twt profile) even if it means turning to evil ways to achieve it, causing them to inevitably turn into pawns for the main antagonists.

I agree that it would be cool to see Veyle as an antagonist but I do feel like either ways, she will end up playable and forgiven/absolved of any evil she may have done for some plot reason. Regardless, Zephia being a leading female villain that isn't an underling (well, except to Sombron, but every Gharnef has a higher being) is really exciting. I really hope she is super evil, am sick of female villains always being redeemed in some fashion, let women be evil go dammit!

Again, 100% behind Veyle being a full-fledged villain cause non-possessed evil dragon loli would be dope to have. Same with Zephia. let us have another FE4Hilda please.

Hyacinth being a surprise ally would be awesome, but I highly doubt it would ever happen. 

21 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, Zephia is definitely the one that gives the most the vibes to be a Gharnef, she is the one leading the characters that have as their main mission the revival of Sombron, and she definitely gives the vibe that knows more about what is going on in the world, very intriguing.

Three Houses

Spoiler

Well, we got actually surprisingly close with Rhea, she isn't the game's actual Gharnef (that is Thales) and she is only actively a villain in some of the routes, but she actually fits many of the criteria that a Gharnef generally has, in some cases even better than Thales himself; specially because she even has her own dragon/demon/god thing to revive (Sothis), and she is subservient to no one except Sothis herself.

Regardless of Veyle and the Hounds, we are now at 33 confirmed characters! The mysterious "Jan" has been localized as Jean, and is probably the recruitable unit shown in the "talk to recruit" tweet (if the hat is anything to go by).

jean.PNG

Like I said in another thread, this pleases me mostly because it confirms there are random nobodies yet unveiled. I assumed we got all of those, and that all left were plot-critical characters that were more important to keep secret. But then we get this complete rando, whose existence had only been hinted at, which I assume is the reason they're okay with letting him be shown. If this rando exists, why not more? Perhaps there truly will be more characters than expected, after all... Though I will keep my expectations in check.

Wow still new characters that’s pretty cool! I do prefer having units that are not retainers! I guess Anna or Jean will be the “Donnel/Mozu” type maybe.

Now I feel stupid by insisting Jean was a generic lol

Still weird they showed off his recruitment as a mechanic update but didn't actually show off the unit you could recruit.

Anyways, we now know that each nation (sans Lythos) has their two royals, four retainers and one non-affiliated character (Yunaka has since be revealed to be from Brodia on twt despite still being counted as unknown on the website). Including the one spoiler character we know from the leaks, we now have 33 confirmed, plus I still feel like Veyle is likely to be playable, that's 34. The 'My First FE' video specifically mentioned over 30 characters so I can't imagine it going any higher tbh. I am hopeful that the kings/queens will be playable cause Sfoglia looks awesome (and I also hate the trope of all the current rulers dying so their children can take over once the game is over)

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, Moltz23 said:

Quick update; VincentASM(?) just uncovered the playable cast for Engage is most likely gonna be 36, meaning there's still 3 more recruits unaccounted for.

Ah wow! Thank you for this addition. Sommie is definitely available for photos since I’ve seen it in a few goofy screenshots, but it could be in a different section if there are props (I think character section is most likely, though)

Three, huh. That sounds promising for the fans of the Four Hounds... And worrying for me who wants some monarchs on my team. But then, anything goes. Maybe it's Marni, Veyle and Sfoglia.

I do think this time there's no chance they're random nobodies. Since we found out about Jean and Yunaka's Brodian origins, all the pieces fit perfectly. Two royals, their respective retainers, plus a rando. I seriously doubt they'd disrupt this balance with any more randos... Though I'm still wondering why they were so secretive about Jean for so long.

Well, I have another 7 days to pray for my dream team of Sfoglia, Morion and Hyacinth. That's all I can do.

Actually, we are also forgetting the mystery Emblem that was spotted horribly hidden in a couple trailers, that many theorize (and/or hope) is going to be the late Lumera. It stands to reason this one would also be available on photo mode. Also, DLC Emblems. But those might work differently in this mode, because between all the Houses lords and Tiki we actually end up without enough room for the characters that we know for a fact are playable lol

...of course, we haven't stopped to consider this: do we know that these 50 characters that can be seen in this little showcase are truly the max amount? It does seem likely, but do we know for sure?

Edited by Saint Rubenio