Official Fire Emblem Engage Manga released (JPN only for now)

>None of the old units or Jean in the spread with all the units

cfopd84xeaj11.jpg?auto=webp&s=5fc418311f

All that aside I find the panel where Alear's eye shoot open funny for some reason. Like he realised he forgot something. Which is technically true.

That aside, if it's not a spoiler from Chapter 20 onwards (Where I'm at), can anyone tell me what's going on in the first panel of this page?

About all I can do is talk about it visually at the moment, we'll see if this gets a fast translation.

2 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

That aside, if it's not a spoiler from Chapter 20 onwards (Where I'm at), can anyone tell me what's going on in the first panel of this page?

That's not a spoiler at all, I think it's just the twins being told about the big battle 1000 years ago. Basically a single image version of the greyed-out cutscene you get of Alear fighting Sombron after the tutorial map with Vander.

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

That's not a spoiler at all, I think it's just the twins being told about the big battle 1000 years ago. Basically a single image version of the greyed-out cutscene you get of Alear fighting Sombron after the tutorial map with Vander.

Now I see it, looked like a cliff first time.

1 hour ago, Keikyushi said:

These introduction(?) pages have actually been translated a while ago, you can read it here

Oh, thank you very much! I didn't realize the whole thing was out digitally already! I thought this was either the release or that it had only been printed. Thanks again! It's nic to see YOU again too, nice new username~!

Really hoping for an official eng translation, would love to have some manga volumes to collect. Am also interested to see what changes, if any are made.

There's some pretty interesting changes off the bat. Alear is significantly more pathetic with stronger reactions just from the prologue and some of the translated Chapter 1. He lives up to his in game model where it always looks like he's cringing or about to cry.

Edited by Seazas

1 hour ago, Seazas said:

There's some pretty interesting changes off the bat. Alear is significantly more pathetic with stronger reactions just from the prologue and some of the translated Chapter 1. He lives up to his in game model where it always looks like he's cringing or about to cry.

Yeah, I didn't expect this to be a full adaptation so I'm curious to see how much is changed overall. Maybe the stuff people had major issues with in the game's story will get fixed here? Do you have any links to those Chapter 1 translations, please?

Nevermind, it's the same person who translated the prologue. Incredible!

Spoiler

I doubt Lumera's surviving for any longer, but maybe the "how did they get out" question will have an answer, to name some early examples.

Edited by DefyingFates

It's nice to see that Lythos actually has people other than the dragons and dragon stewards

I hope that the manga will show us some more about the world, however little it is, that the game did not

Anyways the next chapter is on April 4th, meaning this is a monthly comic. It will be quite a while.

Edited by Keikyushi

24 minutes ago, Keikyushi said:

Anyways the next chapter is on April 4th, meaning this is a monthly comic. It will be quite a while.

Awesome, thank you for the info! I really appreciate it!

I guess this thread will have a far longer lifespan than I thought it would when I made it xD

Gotta say, I'm intrigued so far. Manga is a purely story focused format so they actually have to care this time.

Alear having more explicit emotions is a major plus, actually looking shocked at being told they're a thousand year old dragon and that Lumera is his mom, compared to the mild surprise he has in the game. Lythos actually having villages and people is also good.

Also, Clanne and Framme actually get to show why they're competent stewards, compared to the game where they need to be rescued at the first sign of trouble.

Edited by Sentinel07

• 5 weeks later...

There's an alternate translation with Engage's manga being on Mangadex. Don't know if I can link it since I'm not sure if that's against the rules or not.

Sommie Moment.jpeg

8 hours ago, Seazas said:

There's an alternate translation with Engage's manga being on Mangadex. Don't know if I can link it since I'm not sure if that's against the rules or not.

I saw that too, but I think Fufufuyu's is better. At least when I compared Chapter 1, they did a better job labelling sound effects and had some better grammar too (though that may be because they know more about Engage so knew to have Alfred mention the castle instead of a castle).

But having the full issue compiled on Mangadex is a big plus for the other version, granted.

8 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I saw that too, but I think Fufufuyu's is better. At least when I compared Chapter 1, they did a better job labelling sound effects and had some better grammar too (though that may be because they know more about Engage so knew to have Alfred mention the castle instead of a castle).

But having the full issue compiled on Mangadex is a big plus for the other version, granted.

Agree. There are some minor translation mistakes on the Mangadex version that I don't think will impact the reading experience too much, but it is just low key annoying too me

• 4 weeks later...

The fight scenes are cool as heck! They did Abyme justice too: no nonsense and managed to withstand a Rapier Lodestar Rush, just like in the game!

I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

• 5 weeks later...

Another month, another chapter!

This chapter marks another big divergence from the original's plot which makes me wonder if the mangaka is paying attention to fan reception to said original plot:

Spoiler

Lumera survives but is put in a coma(?) instead. I and a few others suggested Lumera dying instead at the halfway point of the story* in another thread, and the shot of Lumera in her chamber is pretty much exactly how I imagined a "Lumera lives" scenario to look in the manga too, so I'm left pretty happy and a tad spooked!

* my particular take was that (mid to endgame spoilers):

Spoiler

she senses Sombron awakening prior to Chapter 10 and wakes up, flies over to help and dies in the process of freeing the heroes pre-Chapter 11 because she's still too weak. She's able to sense strong magic both here (when Alear wakes up) and in the game (the same and when the cast use time travel) so there's precedent for that.

This would also let her go out with a bang and plug that particular oddity in the plot.

Also, the assassin implies they're not human in this chapter which I don't think happened in the original scene.

P.S. If this is going to flesh out/ fix issues people had with the original plot I'm curious if people who hated the original will like (or at least appreciate) this version.

Edited by DefyingFates

Dammit, the manga is faster than me.

Would be interesting if they also thought that independently of the fan reception. Since it's not an uncommon fan desire, it could be doable?

7 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Hide contents

Lumera survives but is put in a coma(?) instead. I and a few others suggested Lumera dying instead at the halfway point of the story* in another thread, and the shot of Lumera in her chamber is pretty much exactly how I imagined a "Lumera lives" scenario to look in the manga too, so I'm left pretty happy and a tad spooked!

* my particular take was that (mid to endgame spoilers):

Hide contents

she senses Sombron awakening prior to Chapter 10 and wakes up, flies over to help and dies in the process of freeing the heroes pre-Chapter 11 because she's still too weak. She's able to sense strong magic both here (when Alear wakes up) and in the game (the same and when the cast use time travel) so there's precedent for that.

This would also let her go out with a bang and plug that particular oddity in the plot.

Also, the assassin implies they're not human in this chapter which I don't think happened in the original scene.

Spoiler

I would not be surprised if that ends up happening, yep.

I'm pretty sure Sombron is already awake. I think it's stated somewhere in the game that the Corrupted, even those already prowling Lythos, were made by his hand, or just with the fact he's freed they're showing up. Don't know if the manga will keep that, but it would be an interesting parallel, since it'd mean that right now, both Lumera and Sombron are currently bedridden.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would not be surprised if that ends up happening, yep.

Really makes you curious how the author will handle the rest of the story going forward, huh?

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:
Spoiler

I'm pretty sure Sombron is already awake. I think it's stated somewhere in the game that the Corrupted, even those already prowling Lythos, were made by his hand, or just with the fact he's freed they're showing up. Don't know if the manga will keep that, but it would be an interesting parallel, since it'd mean that right now, both Lumera and Sombron are currently bedridden.

My bad!

Spoiler

I meant to say "Sombron awakening" as "regaining his strength" after leeching Morion, but you're right that Sombron is very much awake in the literal sense right now, just weak.

Or as you put it, bedridden. That's a funny thought when you stop to think about it 😛

P.S. I wonder if it's possible that we'll swap Alears with each "Volume" but that's probably not going to happen 😕

Edit: And wait, are you doing a rewrite of your own, Acacia?

Edited by DefyingFates

4 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Really makes you curious how the author will handle the rest of the story going forward, huh?

Oh, so true! So far the manga changes have been quite interesting.

My bad!

Hide contents

I meant to say "Sombron awakening" as "regaining his strength" after leeching Morion, but you're right that Sombron is very much awake in the literal sense right now, just weak.

Or as you put it, bedridden. That's a funny thought when you stop to think about it 😛

Spoiler

I also remembered. In her supports with Goldmary, Hortensia talks how Hyacinth called her back home from the Academy after Sombron was freed. Since we do see Hortensia in Chapter 7, then yep, definitely Sombron was already released from his seal long before.

Zephia in Chapter 5 also seems to think that Sombron's release was what woke Alear up. Could be true or not, but at the very least it's more confirmation as to when Sombron was already released.

P.S. I wonder if it's possible that we'll swap Alears with each "Volume" but that's probably not going to happen 😕

Maybe as a special chapter. I doubt they'd do that for the main story since it'd break the narrative flow? Unless we get some shenanigans Ranma 1/2 style at some point, for comedy.

Edit: And wait, are you doing a rewrite of your own, Acacia?

A fanfic, which is something of a canon rewrite at its core, yep. It's there in my sig if you're curious. Among other stuff if also interested.

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:
Spoiler

Zephia in Chapter 5 also seems to think that Sombron's release was what woke Alear up. Could be true or not, but at the very least it's more confirmation as to when Sombron was already released.

I forgot to put that in my initial post, but that's yet another reason for that headcanon scene to play out as written:

Spoiler

After all, if Alear can wake up when Sombron hits a milestone, surely his mother can too!

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe as a special chapter. I doubt they'd do that for the main story since it'd break the narrative flow? Unless we get some shenanigans Ranma 1/2 style at some point, for comedy.

Ranma 1/2? But yeah, I guess you're right. I was originally going to suggest a Fell Xenologue arc with F!Alear but since there's a gender option I was hoping we'd get some shared focus for both. Oh well.

Speaking of, even a Fell Xenologue arc may not work that way if the mangaka wants to incorporate it into the main story as it's meant to.

As long as we don't get a Granblue situation where the female MC is only used for beach episodes...

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A fanfic, which is something of a canon rewrite at its core, yep. It's there in my sig if you're curious. Among other stuff if also interested.

Oh interesting, thank you!

39 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I forgot to put that in my initial post, but that's yet another reason for that headcanon scene to play out as written:

Hide contents

After all, if Alear can wake up when Sombron hits a milestone, surely his mother can too!

Spoiler

I can certainly see it. Less of a linked thing and more than just sensing the energy spike, no doubt.

Ranma 1/2? But yeah, I guess you're right. I was originally going to suggest a Fell Xenologue arc with F!Alear but since there's a gender option I was hoping we'd get some shared focus for both. Oh well.

Oh, don't know it? It's a manga/anime where the titular Ranma has a gender bending curse.

Hmm, I do think of a way the other Alear could be incorporated. Though it might be too late for much or not:

Spoiler

We take what the Fell Xenologue state about Fell Dragons being born in twins also applying to the main world. The other Alear was struck down, but survived and also went through a thousand year coma, tucked away somewhere. If it happened with Veyle where she found a place with Fell Dragon worshippers to spend the time at, maybe it happened with the other Alear too. And then at some point the main party find the place...

Speaking of, even a Fell Xenologue arc may not work that way if the mangaka wants to incorporate it into the main story as it's meant to.

Now I do wonder if the manga will adapt it.

Oh interesting, thank you!

No problem!

Edited by Acacia Sgt