What's in a Name? Chapter Titles we Love (and Hate)

This is something I've had on my mind for a while now. It's a constitutive element of basically every game in the series, but one I never see talked about. That's right: Chapter Titles. The name we give to... whatever's happening on the game screen for a given hour or so.

Now, chapters tend to have both a numerical designation, alongside a title - and how we refer to them varies. For instance, the map in FE7 where you protect babby Zephiel is almost universally known as "Battle Before Dawn", rather than "26E/28H", based on its designations in Eliwood's and Hector's stories, respectively. Conversely, the map in FE6 where Roy faces a swarm of wyverns on his way to the Shrine of Seals is called "Chapter 21" (or, affectionately, "Wyvern Hell"), rather than its proper title, "The Binding Blade".

Does this mean that "Battle Before Dawn" is a good chapter title, whereas "The Binding Blade" is a bad one? Maybe, but there are other factors at play - and of course, inherent subjectivity in what counts as a "good" or "bad" chapter title. For my part, I think I've grouped some trends that determine whether I love a chapter title, or thoroughly despise it. What are those trends? Well, let's dive in!

I love it when a chapter title...

1. Has multiple interpretations. Take a look at Radiant Dawn's I-9, "One Survives". In this map, Micaiah is ambushed by General Jarod, but her life is saved when the Black Knight intervenes. The Black Knight, despite Jarod's protestations, survived the fall of Nados Castle during the Mad King's War, making him the only One of Daein's Four Riders to Survive. But... the chapter isn't really about that. While the goal is to defeat Jarod, Micaiah's death renders a Game Over condition. And given her frailty, and refusal to be Rescued, that presents the core challenge of the map - making sure that One unit Survives. There are quite a few chapter titles like this, particularly in Tellius. And rather than argue about which interpretation is "right" or "wrong", I'm a fan of the idea that multiple interpretations can be valid - and perhaps even intended.

2. Includes a pun. Yeah, I'm a sucker for puns, and Chapter 3 of Shadow Dragon is a great example. In that map, Marth is traveling through the treacherous Ghoul's Teeth, and he brushes up against several enemy forces - some led by Navarre, and the others by Hyman (don't laugh!). So of course, they titled the chapter "A Brush in the Teeth". Cheesy as all get-out, yeah, but it's nice for a laugh. And memorable, too, in the way that "Devil Mountain" (in the original Japanese), or "The Ghoul's Teeth" (in FE1's translation) may not be.

3. Sounds poetic. This one is kinda similar to the first, but more about the structure of the title itself. A great example is Chapter 11 of Path of Radiance, titled "Blood Runs Red". The wording of that is very quick and to-the-point, with three single-syllable words in a row. It's also one that can refer, potentially, to any chapter where two forces are fighting to the death. But I think it's particularly suited to this map, where the core dilemma arises when a group of Crimean citizens side with the invaders from Daein, to rid their town of the "sub-human" Ranulf. The Crimeans feel a blood-loyalty to other Beorc that overcomes any discomfort over the fact that said Beorc just displaced their government, and is currently committing atrocities. And thanks to this allegiance of blood, more blood is spilled that same day.

I hate it when a chapter title...

1. Is just a character's name. Fates was undoubtedly the king of this, with such titles as "Leo" (BR 18), "Hinoka" (CQ 24), and "Anankos" (Rev Endgame). Naming a chapter after a certain character (typically, although not always, the boss), just feels... unbelievable lazy. Like, you couldn't even think up a title to give them, describing their relationship to the main character, or their function as a unit? Plus, it makes the chapter functionally impossible to refer to. When I talk about "Camilla", everyone is assuming I'm referring to the character, not the twenty-third chapter of Birthright. Likewise for looking the chapter up on external sources, such as the Wiki. It's boring, it's unhelpful, and I don't care for it one bit.

2. Misleads the player. So, the immediate case that springs to mind is chapter 29E/31H of FE7, also called "Sands of Time". Now, normally, I'd like this chapter title for sounding poetic. So, what's my issue with it? Well, just look at the map for this chapter. Notice anything missing from it? In fact, there's not a single grain of sand to be found amidst the entire map! It sounds like it's going to be a desert map (which it'd be a perfect fit for), but instead, it's another castle map. Now, the title is almost certainly referring to Athos' dialogue before the battle begins, where he relates his history with Nergal, in the desert city of Arcadia. But that narrative has essentially nothing to do with the map itself, which just happens because the Chad-Morph Denning shows up with a message from Lord Nergal. Just a frustrating name, in my opinion.

3. Is just a place name. I'm slightly more forgiving of this one, compared to naming just based on a character that's featured, but I'm still not going to pretend to be a fan of it. It feels similarly lazy. One such example is chapter 13 of Eirika's Route in Sacred Stones, titled "Hamill Canyon". This tells you that the map takes place in Hamill Canyon. And... that's it. It's not even the only "Hamill Canyon" in the game, because you can revisit the site for a skirmish battle with monsters, where the screen will flash the title... "Hamill Canyon". Again, it feels like they could've done something more with the actual chapter title, but just settled on a boring resolution.

These don't cover all my thoughts and tastes on chapter titles, but they do cover the bases! So I am wondering - how do you, dear reader, evaluate chapter titles? Do you agree with my standards, or do you differ in what you consider? Any disagreements on the one's I've mentioned above? And what are your personal favorites (and least favorites) throughout the series? I'm sure there are dozens more I could bring up, but the hours draw short, and I must depart. So, thanks for reading, and let me know what you think in the comments below.

Personally, I feel that at least in Fates the "name as chapter title" works when you see it in the lens of it being the final fight Corrin has with the respective sibling. The ones they rejected, who are now their enemies. A sibling vs sibling fight, the chapter title being a poignant, consice, and to the point reminder of it. Granted, it works better with the Nohrian siblings since Corrin has the years of memories with them unlike the Hoshidan ones, but still.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I mostly don't remember chapter titles. Or chapter numbers for that matter. There are a few that have managed to stick in my head from seeing them talked about enough in the fandom, like Elincia's Gambit or Reunion At Dawn, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule. Mostly, if I'm thinking about a chapter, I'll think of it as "the one with the wind", "the one at the Mila tree", "the one where you're supposed to stealth around the guards", and so on. And if you ever see me referring to a chapter by name or number then it's a safe bet that I've just gone and looked it up.

So, mostly what I want from a chapter title is something that sounds cool and evocative and makes me enthused for the next chapter and that I will immediately forget seconds after reading it when I start to play said chapter. And what works well in those terms depends a lot on where the chapter falls in the story and what type of mood it's trying to get across. Reunion at Dawn has a very different mood and feeling to something like Clash. The former works for its position at the beginning of part 2; we're coming out of the climactic ending of part 1, leaving the little interlude, and starting to build to something else. On the other hand, for the latter, we already have the tension ratcheted up high and a simple one-word title that says "and now there's a big fight" is all that is needed.

So I guess that what I want from a chapter title is one that understands the emotional core of the story beat that we're in at the time, and promises to deliver on it.

Huge missed opportunity for Knight-Filled Sky to take place during the day. That's going on my archanea remake wishlist. And imagine the cutscene of Gotoh crafting Starlight...underneath some star light?

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Me giggling at the chapter title "Treason" and grabbing Palpatine memes, all while "It's a Trap!" blares in the background

I am probably not the best person to ask (I'd argue some can be pretty dang generic), but even I have my personal preferences. "Threshold of Fate" as an old version of Doorway to Destiny is a hard favourite, fitting the music and story direction more personally. I'll also mention Dance in the Skies as well, much as it's most prominent part doesn't involve the player. You of course mention One Survives and A Brush in the Teeth (which works as well as it does with The Ghoul's Teeth as it's old name imo), but as to ones I'd say click (If few of them are immediately remembered, what can I say the name chapters work for annoying reasons in Fates.) :

Spoiler

Archanea: Ageless Palace is a pretty neat name that I wish got more lore explanation, Pales never felt like there was that much to explain about it. A Knight-Filled Sky of course is cool, I mentioned the Genealogy equivalent as well and the idea works well here, with the sheer number of fliers in this one. Gra's Sun Sets is probably better than Gra deserves, but it does suit the last desperate attempt by Gra forces to defend themselves as Marth comes in and struggle to do much against them.

T776: Mother and Daughter is probably the one I'd point out the most, what with the story beat of this map.

BlaB: Living Legend is funny in how it fits for Athos and Pent. A tangent that I like with Elibe is that in BinB you have the gaiden chapters as a reference to the weapon but in BlaB the ones you're allowed to go to are named after the hero associated with the wielder.

SS: Ruled by Madness, Last Hope, Phantom Ship, Father and Son, Queen of White Dunes.... Some nice chapter titles in this game imo but few of these are especially detailled.

RD: I wish I could say Elincia's Gambit was some triumphal but of course in story that's not the feel it delivers on. This isn't me saying chapter bad, just noting how the chapter name doesn't quite match in practice. Course, you can easily rush the boss, but a map that doesn't do that I'd like to mention is From Pain, Awakening. I think this works well with this chapter.

Awake: The Sword or the Knee is a real nice title, used too late considering it's the end of the Valm arc. Another cool one is A Duel Disgraced, shame it won't be used for a more significant chapter any time soon.

Fates: Voice of Paradise works well for what's happening in it I suppose. Meanwhile Vanguard Dawn is Elincia's Gambit but Ike steals it again?

3H: Blood of the Eagle and Lion is one of the better titles, on what is one of the better chapters anyways, but there's also some paralogues I'd like to point out: Falling Short of Heaven and Sword and Shield of Seiros. And I feel like I should defend Stand Strong at Shamballa, as a title I like it fine enough, mostly for the alliterative title.

Engage: I suspect Serenity in Ruin will come into discussion when people can speak about Engage without getting mad about it not being 3H/arguing about a story that needed to be considered a joke and abbreviation.

Tearring: The Price of Allegiance: Yet again proof Aethin did nothing wrong. I don't particularly note the chapters that hew closer to a faithful translation sadly, but stuff like Fire Incarnate (replacing Holy Dragon Neuron), Dissidence (Two Paths, which just expresses how the player is split in two as opposed to Dissidence showing signs of the difficulties in Canaan), Unwelcome Arrival (Freedom and Justice, which works for the story, but fucking hell does it not if you do the Plum event), Desolate Wasteland (Frontier Battle, can I just note how Frontier feels weird as a term used for wastes?), An Old Soldier's Honour (General Zachariah, which just has the name of the boss is greatly improved by expressing his motivation (and yes, it is simple. Doesn't mean the new title isn't cool)), Bittersweet Reunion (The Maiden's Tears, which isn't unfitting but I feel Bittersweet Reunion can also account for the truth that is hidden in this chapter), Black-Hearted (Dark Prince, I feel like the new title works better for Lentzenheimer, no deep statement here), Flag of the Privateers (Battle for Granada, like it's not even a question the change works here when the original map isn't Granada!), The Traitor Shows his Face (Traitor..., I'll admit the ellipses are a weird choice in chapter titles so changing it is good, but this being the chapter you face Zeig again just makes it so fitting), Birthright of Salia/Reeve (Holy Sword of Salia/Reeve, I know it's just me not clicking with the weapons being called Holy Sword of _____), Lost in the Shadows (Fading Life), Found in the Darkness (In the Darkness..., this change would work better if it tied closer to The Traitor Shows his face), God and Goddess (The Evil God and Goddess). And yes, plenty of these are longer compared to the previous titles and . Not to say none of the unchanged titles work, I'm fond of City of Love and Sorrow myself.

Edited by Punished Dayni

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Now, chapters tend to have both a numerical designation, alongside a title - and how we refer to them varies. For instance, the map in FE7 where you protect babby Zephiel is almost universally known as "Battle Before Dawn", rather than "26E/28H", based on its designations in Eliwood's and Hector's stories, respectively. Conversely, the map in FE6 where Roy faces a swarm of wyverns on his way to the Shrine of Seals is called "Chapter 21" (or, affectionately, "Wyvern Hell"), rather than its proper title, "The Binding Blade".

FE7 chapters tend to be referred to by name and not number, and there's a good reason for this - the chapter number varies based on route, as you allude to. It's a lot easier to just say "Battle Before Dawn" than try to remember two different chapter numbers. I think this is the only game in the series where the convention is so strongly to refer chapters by name instead of number.

The other game which kinda does this is the later maps of VW/SS(/somewhat AM) of Three Houses, where in my experience the tendency is not to refer to lategame maps by number or their name, but by their location: Fort Merceus, Enbarr City, Enbarr Palace, Shambhala, etc.

Otherwise I mostly agree with your takes on preferences for chapter titles. I do find that unfortunately my memory for chapter titles isn't what it used to be, and while it's possible that they have gotten worse from time (Blazing Blade has a pretty excellent set of 'em), i think the bigger thing is that it's a lot easier for me to remember the first thirty Fire Emblem chapter titles I've encountered than it is for me to remember the third hundred.

30 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Father and Son

Part of me wants to add "don't use a title that has been used in a ton of other works" as a new rule... except that I'm now humming "find a girl, settle down, if you want you can marry" to myself, and if that isn't just the most unwittingly Fire Emblem song line then I don't know what is.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:

Part of me wants to add "don't use a title that has been used in a ton of other works" as a new rule... except that I'm now humming "find a girl, settle down, if you want you can marry" to myself, and if that isn't just the most unwittingly Fire Emblem song line then I don't know what is.

Strangely, this title actually put a different song into my head...

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

FE7 chapters tend to be referred to by name and not number, and there's a good reason for this - the chapter number varies based on route, as you allude to. It's a lot easier to just say "Battle Before Dawn" than try to remember two different chapter numbers. I think this is the only game in the series where the convention is so strongly to refer chapters by name instead of number.

True point! The decision to simply iterate the number in Hector-exclusive chapters, rather than adding some kind of designator (i.e. making "Talons Alight" into 14H, rather than 15) was... certainly a choice. Of course, "14H" is currently used to describe the Hector-mode variant of chapter 14, which (like any chapter) has slight differences from the Eliwood-mode version, so... no good answer.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The other game which kinda does this is the later maps of VW/SS(/somewhat AM) of Three Houses, where in my experience the tendency is not to refer to lategame maps by number or their name, but by their location: Fort Merceus, Enbarr City, Enbarr Palace, Shambhala, etc.

Yeah that's true too. In general, I don't think much of 3H chapter numbers, because the game de-emphasizes them. You don't hear Narrator Jeralt say "Chapter 6: Rumors of a Reaper", you hear him say "Horsebow Moon: Rumors of a Reaper". On top of that, the Month numbering is out-of-sync from the chapter number, with Chapter 6 taking place in the 9th Month. Incidentally, "Rumors of a Reaper" is another of my favorite chapter titles - it rolls off the tongue with that r-alliteration, and it perfectly describes what you're doing that month (as well as leading into the battle itself).

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

As much as I hate the bullshit that is the character involved surviving and becoming playable, I really, really love the chapter title "A Hard Miracle".

Yeah, that is a good one. Which actually provides an in-universe explanation for her survival - she just activated Miracle.

3 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

BlaB: Living Legend is funny in how it fits for Athos and Pent. A tangent that I like with Elibe is that in BinB you have the gaiden chapters as a reference to the weapon but in BlaB the ones you're allowed to go to are named after the hero associated with the wielder.

I still tend to think that this title works better when I think of Pent as the Living Legend. Like, the whole point of the map is trying not to let him kill every possible enemy out there. Give me some time to get the Gaiden and the desert treasures, oh Mage of Legend! Actually, nothing would've really changed if it had been Athos on the field instead; he'd be equally broken.

3 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Huge missed opportunity for Knight-Filled Sky to take place during the day. That's going on my archanea remake wishlist. And imagine the cutscene of Gotoh crafting Starlight...underneath some star light?

Yep, that would be a good one! It could even be explained in-narrative as something of a "sneak attack", in the dead of night. Which Michaelis is, of course, prepared for.

5 hours ago, lenticular said:

I mostly don't remember chapter titles. Or chapter numbers for that matter. There are a few that have managed to stick in my head from seeing them talked about enough in the fandom, like Elincia's Gambit or Reunion At Dawn, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule. Mostly, if I'm thinking about a chapter, I'll think of it as "the one with the wind", "the one at the Mila tree", "the one where you're supposed to stealth around the guards", and so on. And if you ever see me referring to a chapter by name or number then it's a safe bet that I've just gone and looked it up.

I do enjoy some of the "fanmade names" that certain chapters gain in the fandom, outside of the number or official title. Like the particularly windy map in Conquest becoming "Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride".

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Personally, I feel that at least in Fates the "name as chapter title" works when you see it in the lens of it being the final fight Corrin has with the respective sibling. The ones they rejected, who are now their enemies. A sibling vs sibling fight, the chapter title being a poignant, consice, and to the point reminder of it. Granted, it works better with the Nohrian siblings since Corrin has the years of memories with them unlike the Hoshidan ones, but still.

I get what you're saying, although I personally think Japan got the better end of this deal. For instance, chapter 18 of Birthright, which we call "Leo", is to them "Dark Night Prince Leon". Having their title included adds some "heft" to the title, distinguishing it from the character's name alone, while presenting more of a threat. That said, if you wanted to go for a more personal angle, we could've seen something like "My Brother, Leo". 

22 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yeah that's true too. In general, I don't think much of 3H chapter numbers, because the game de-emphasizes them. You don't hear Narrator Jeralt say "Chapter 6: Rumors of a Reaper", you hear him say "Horsebow Moon: Rumors of a Reaper". On top of that, the Month numbering is out-of-sync from the chapter number, with Chapter 6 taking place in the 9th Month. Incidentally, "Rumors of a Reaper" is another of my favorite chapter titles - it rolls off the tongue with that r-alliteration, and it perfectly describes what you're doing that month (as well as leading into the battle itself).

I'm a fan of that chapter title too.

One thing Three Houses does which de-emphasizes names (at least for me) is that every chapter has two names, a name for the overall chapter (e.g. Rumours of a Reaper) and then a name for the battle (e.g. The Underground Chamber). So that's two names to remember. And just like a little league shortstop who has two baseballs thrown their way, if you hit me with two chapter titles I'm less likely to use/remember either. So I'm more inclined to call this chapter just "Chapter 6".

One chapter title that I've always loved and can't fully articulate why is Incandescent Glow. The lava map of Radiant Dawn. I'm not sure I'd even describe it as poetic, but it's a great pairing of words to describe the scene.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

One chapter title that I've always loved and can't fully articulate why is Incandescent Glow. The lava map of Radiant Dawn. I'm not sure I'd even describe it as poetic, but it's a great pairing of words to describe the scene.

I do like that name as well. And it kind of fits for a lava map. Still, something about the wording makes me think... more vibrant. Like a dark setting, with neon colors. Or even it makes me think about Lehran's Medallion, which has its own characteristic "glow". IDK, a good title, just one I don't consider all that much, which might just be on me.

On 7/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm a fan of that chapter title too.

One thing Three Houses does which de-emphasizes names (at least for me) is that every chapter has two names, a name for the overall chapter (e.g. Rumours of a Reaper) and then a name for the battle (e.g. The Underground Chamber). So that's two names to remember. And just like a little league shortstop who has two baseballs thrown their way, if you hit me with two chapter titles I'm less likely to use/remember either. So I'm more inclined to call this chapter just "Chapter 6".

True point. I understand why 3H does this "double naming" system - the chapter name covers a whole period of time, which can include multiple battles (i.e. paralogues, quests), each having their own designation. So, the main battle would need its own descriptor as well. Some of those subtitles are weaksauce ("The Underground Chamber"... literally just a location descriptor), but I think there are strong ones, too - "The Gautier Inheritance", or "Stand Strong at Shambhala". But they do make the scheme more confusing ("wait, should I call the one where Dimitri fights Cornelia in Fhirdiad 'The King's Triumphant Return', or 'Retaking the Capital'?"), which is... unfortunate. 

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I do like that name as well. And it kind of fits for a lava map. Still, something about the wording makes me think... more vibrant. Like a dark setting, with neon colors. Or even it makes me think about Lehran's Medallion, which has its own characteristic "glow". IDK, a good title, just one I don't consider all that much, which might just be on me.

True point. I understand why 3H does this "double naming" system - the chapter name covers a whole period of time, which can include multiple battles (i.e. paralogues, quests), each having their own designation. So, the main battle would need its own descriptor as well. Some of those subtitles are weaksauce ("The Underground Chamber"... literally just a location descriptor), but I think there are strong ones, too - "The Gautier Inheritance", or "Stand Strong at Shambhala". But they do make the scheme more confusing ("wait, should I call the one where Dimitri fights Cornelia in Fhirdiad 'The King's Triumphant Return', or 'Retaking the Capital'?"), which is... unfortunate. 

Retaking the capital is also a name they've used multiple times. That's something I often don't like, reusing chapter names. They don't frequently do it, but there are some more than I can't think of right now. Usually names that are pretty descriptive and not fantastic to begin with.