To Become an Elitist [Playlogs FE1-5] [currently playing: Thracia 776]

ping

10 hours ago, ping said:

8SvqiTk.png: "We WERE. Now go get me a crown and then keep, I dunno, milking the chickens or whatever peasants do all day."

ymRug7l.png: "Help, help, I'm being repressed! Now you see the violence inherent in the system!"

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Probably. Armoured knights actually have Res in Radiant Dawn.

And Speed, don't forget Speed! Without Resolve, or else being insanely blessed, Micaiah isn't doubling Armors.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

If we are designing non rapier weapons for lord though, then I suggest Mickey get a tome that has built in vantage. You then take Wrath of Edward, put her down to 1hp via sacrifice and then let her go to town on enemies. Coming to think of it, Wrath Miciaha might be a decent build for her even without vantage tome. She'll die on one hit anyway, might as well make her a Crit machine with a near certain HP lost mechanic.

Conversely, what about a tome with built-in Renewal? This would let Micaiah "Sacrifice", even if just for 2 or 3 HP, every single turn. Thus making her more effective at her signature gimmick. And hey, 10 exp is 10 exp.

4 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Like how he addresses Eliwood and Hector that one time as "children of Roland" and Lyn as "daughter of Hanon and Roland".
I mean, do you talk like that? When a friend gets a kid, do you address them as "child of Steve" instead of addressing them by their given name?

No, because I'm not 1000 years old. If I'd been relatively secluded for several centuries, then found myself talking to hyper-zoomers, I'd probably come across as archaic at best.

Anyway, I enjoy this turn of phrase. Like how Aslan calls the Pevensies "Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve". Except, Athos isn't trying to win my soul.

The remainder of the critique against Athos, though, is solid. He makes the three Lords flit about Bern because it "builds character". Which leads to Ninian's recapture, and subsequent death. Had he visited the Shrine of Seals immediately, Athos and crew probably could've acquired all the Legendary Weapons before Nergal was back to full power.

5 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Meanwhile Nergal had to lick his wounds after being stabbed by Elbert's knife.

Which only happened because Nergal had dismissed Jaffar prematurely. God, the amount of idiot-ball-holding that happened in this game...

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's some serious shade your throwing on all 20 of the BS: Archanea Saga portraits right there.

Sorry, I was only counting games that exist in a still-playable state.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

August passes for a generic bossman that gets recolored two or three times. I like it too - blurs the line a bit on the good ol' "everyone on the player's side is handsome" effect which is much too prevalent, and it really fits the guy just in general.

Honestly, I could imagine an August recolor as a one-time boss later in the game. That'd be pretty funny, especially if nobody comments on the obvious resemblance.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ping said:

Ironman no-Arena Ranked Sub Run with no Holy Weapons. Can't allow any scrubs to pollute the discussion with their bad opinions.

You know what? After experiencing 3 Houses fans, this fandom could do more with some extreme gatekeeping.

10 hours ago, ping said:

So he's the anti-Jamke: Awful combat, but good mobility - in particular once indoor maps become a thing

Unlike Jamke, Ronan's in a game where he'll actually reach the enemy and play the game.

10 hours ago, ping said:

Oh, that's OK. I'll just keep in mind that your opinions on Genealogy aren't really informed.

Fair. I'm convinced 2/3rds of all FE4 fans haven't actually played the game themselves anyways, so I never count their opinions.

I didn't even realize, but... yeah, this does go well in line with the guy who capped minimum and maximum hit to 1% and 99% respectively.

22 hours ago, ping said:

I'm not allowed to criticize the hit rate mechanic because old school Fallout caps hit at 95%.

I mean, Athos never made Eliwood and company hike through deserts, volcanoes, glaciars and houses full of thieves and dragons for no reason while the world was at stake.

There it is. I just keep winning.

Ehhh incorrect. Hector is very different as both a character and a unit. Not that I'm particularly a fan of him, mind, but Marth clone he is not. The only thing remotely Marthish about him is the axe, which is admittedly a shame, but that's something every post-Kaga lord is shackled with until Fates.

With Fates, lords are now stuck with the new trend of "lord with the same weapon that transforms over time". Usually, this is for the avatar, but at least with Chrom, it was a nice little touch with the falchion, which isn't really a rapier, but that's probably because he has an actual rapier besides it. I won't bash it for that though, because it's based in Archanea, so it's only natural, and the game is 75% reference emblem anyways.

But now I'm already bored of the "here's your sword. Now the sword is slightly stronger". I dunno, the moment it becomes the super sword never hits as hard for me as when you just get it as it is in the older games. I suppose it's suppose to be fresh, but it's not even like it necessarily replaces the rapier trope. It's just often a slightly better iron sword which is boring, and then people like Alear essentially still are the rapier trope through Marth references anyways.

Guess it's just too ingrained as the staple now to even think about letting go of. Hard to even blame them nowadays. Fuck FE7.

I, on the other hand, like them precisely because of that. Less colorful and more grounded is my cup of tea. But well, you know what they say, all toasters to each their own.

I'll say the same thing, but in a more "my opinion is correct form". Thracia easily has the best portraits, hands down. It's perfect for the setting, and everything is just so sharp looking, which goes perfectly with them beards. 

I like Selfina more.

Why do you choose to become cringe every time I'm about to call you based?

What would you know, yankee?

Schlatt reference.

Oh yeah, BSFE had the best portrait art in all of Kaga's era of FE. I so wish they'd kept that artist for FE5. I like FE5's portraits but BSFE was built different.

We don't deserve BSFE

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Is that sarcasm? Because he kind of did. Well, except the glaciers part. Sure he gets warp happy at the end, but there's a whole bunch of walking around before then. And for crying out loud the dude must know where the shrine of seals is. He was probably there when it was built. He could have cut out half the game by fetching a mountain based map of Bern and saying "somewhere around here. South central east."

Athos is a poopy head redeemed by having stats and animations that will stick forever to the hearts of brand new FE fans.

Gotoh's the guy you laugh at for having 11 magic and then proceeds to have you prove yourself AGAIN after basically admitting he desperately needs the shards for the world to be saved. 

Not to mention Athos also had the option of just teleporting straight to the weakened Nergal and finish him off. Maybe aided by Eliwood in order to keep his morph army busy.

So they're both shitheads.

I get it now! Athos is bad because FE7 writing, and Gotoh feels like a shitty character because he brings FE7 vibes! It makes so much sense.

Moral is: Never write a character who can warp around the world. Otherwise you'll have people asking "Why can't I have Hubert use warp" or "What the fuck is warp powder?".

Only arguing in favor relative to Athos.

Gotoh is bad, sure. But Athos is a special kind of awful. Gotoh's actions generally at least make sense on a conceptual level. Like, sending Marth across Anri's way to see the forgotten corners of the continent with his own eyes and give him a history lesson along the way is not a bad concept and makes sense for his character.
But it runs into all kinds of problems, like being part of the plot of Book 2 instead of Book 1, where the dragons were actually an important part of the plot. But Book 2 has Hardin as a fellow human being the main villain. Not to mention him acknowledging at the end of Book 1 that Marth has proven himself to him, so why sending him through hoops in Book 2?

It's just hard to not get over just how stupid going through a seemingly arduous trial AGAIN sounds given that it's a sequel. Athos is shitty sure, but how can anything top "I fucked up, get the same things you already got a 2ND time, and you get no help from me". Bro sent Wendell alone. Doesn't Athos at least give you Pent the game breaker? I haven't played FE7 in ages, but as far as shitty tropes go, at least you know the devs were going for the typical "prove yourself" nonsense, which simply is too stupid to do in a sequel game with the same guy.  Hell, he's just doing nothing except chilling with Tiki whose fate is literally dependent on whether you get the shards or not so I can't imagine any conversation between them during all that time he's not helping out just going "Yeah, if Marth doesn't make it here with all the shards, you're fucked lmao". Maybe do something about it!? It's not like you were guarding her. The place is overrun with thieves and druids when Marth makes it here, and Tiki has to hide in some dingy corner alone. 

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:
4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Gotoh, in a way not much unlike Athos, kind of fails on this point because Marth is the one cleaning up Gotoh's shit. It's Gotoh's fault things are this way. It was his apprentice that stole his dark sphere and revived his enemy because he sucked as a teacher. But he just expects Marth to go around the world collecting orbs so Marth can defeat Gharnef. Dude, you have the power to warp entire armies. Bring Marth to you and help him collect the orbs yourself. You don't even personally take to the battlefield until Gharnef is dead and Medeus is cornered. Maybe if you showed up to fight Gharnef yourself then he wouldn't have cheated death and caused all the problems in Book 2.  Not to mention the world is literally at stake in Book 2 because of the shattered Starsphere and the most he could do is sent Wendell off to collect the shards. Is drinking tea at the ice temple really more important than searching for these things yourself?

The whole idea of the wise oracle testing the hero only works if the tester has no stake in the conflict. If they're just an outside for charged with arbitration and stopping the quest reward from falling into the wrong hands. But Gotoh not only has an invested interest in seeing Marth's side win, it's his fault this is all happening in the first place by training the guy running about the place mucking things up. A character should either have the capacity to help, but no desire to do so; or the desire to help, but no capacity to do so. Gotoh has both the desire to help and the evident capacity to do so, but just doesn't, which makes him look kind of lazy at best and an asshole at worst.

Phew, didn't realize I had that much pent up hatred for Gotoh. Still, what a cool head piece he wears. 7/10, decent character.

I've been saying this for years

Yes you have, and you're being rewarded now.

54 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Honestly, I could imagine an August recolor as a one-time boss later in the game. That'd be pretty funny, especially if nobody comments on the obvious resemblance.

Purple August. We call him, Waugust.

24 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

With Fates, lords are now stuck with the new trend of "lord with the same weapon that transforms over time". Usually, this is for the avatar, but at least with Chrom, it was a nice little touch with the falchion, which isn't really a rapier, but that's probably because he has an actual rapier besides it. I won't bash it for that though, because it's based in Archanea, so it's only natural, and the game is 75% reference emblem anyways.

But now I'm already bored of the "here's your sword. Now the sword is slightly stronger". I dunno, the moment it becomes the super sword never hits as hard for me as when you just get it as it is in the older games. I suppose it's suppose to be fresh, but it's not even like it necessarily replaces the rapier trope. It's just often a slightly better iron sword which is boring, and then people like Alear essentially still are the rapier trope through Marth references anyways.

Guess it's just too ingrained as the staple now to even think about letting go of. Hard to even blame them nowadays. Fuck FE7.

It didn't really happen in Engage, did it? Liberation is just... a thing that's there. They don't really do much with it. I'll give it credit for not being just another rapier, but on the other hand the effect is just kinda... bleh? It's certainly no Leif light brand.

27 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Why do you choose to become cringe every time I'm about to call you based?

She's basically the prototype of the badass sniper stereotype Kaga perfect starting with Raquel TRS. Also known as my favorite stereotype in all these games. So.

27 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Athos is a poopy head redeemed by having stats and animations that will stick forever to the hearts of brand new FE fans.

Gotoh's the guy you laugh at for having 11 magic and then proceeds to have you prove yourself AGAIN after basically admitting he desperately needs the shards for the world to be saved. 

"He who laughs last, laughs hardest."

- Gotoh probably

28 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:
2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Imma happy camper right now, lemme tell ya.

FE5 Chapter 2x: The Corsair Isles

Spoiler

qljVJPE.png

LiuegO9.png: "You could stand to give me the time of day, Safy. We both know I could get anything you want. Just go along with me, yeah?"
KANZtjn.png: "I have given my word to see Lady Linoan's hopes realized. Unless you wish to join us in fighting for Tahra, I will not falter."
LiuegO9.png: "T-Take up arms against the Empire?! May as well stand on the shore an' try to push the tide back!"
KANZtjn.png: "Perhaps it sounds impossible, but the alternative is to do nothing as innocent children are ritually slaughtered. No matter the cost, no one with a drop of humanity could stand by and allow this to continue. We're not naive. Everyone knows the risk - we know we'll likely die. But this isn't just about us! This is bigger than one city or one society - this is about resisting the grip of damnation itself. Loptous beckons, Lifis. The world hurtles ever closer towards his jaws. Tahra is the only place in Jugrdral still in dispute - where will you be when history is written?"
LiuegO9.png: "Well... I... Look, you're out to fulfill your Lady's hopes, right? If I say yes, will you fulfill one of my own hopes?"
KANZtjn.png: "If it is within my power, I will."
LiuegO9.png: "It's a deal. I'll talk to my boys, make sure everybody is on board. But don't forget our little arrangement."
KANZtjn.png: "Very well."

Move over, Lewyn and Johan, the biggest asshole in Jugdral's playable cast has arrived.

jP1HMvx.png

e0WCZI2.png: "The timing isn't ideal, granted, but with a torch in hand, your men will be able to see a ways ahead."
rawFee7.png: "I... don't believe we have any flint or tinder handy. What are our chances without torches?"
e0WCZI2.png: "Your men won't be totally blind, but they'll barely be able to see in front of them. Still, I imagine you can find a spare torch or two lying around somewhere."
rawFee7.png: Then let's get moving. There's no time to waste!"

Or we could press [End Turn] 99 times and then do a surprise attack at dawn. My impression last chapter was that Safy has been in the hands of the pirates for a little while already, so I don't buy that it's imperative to attack right this second.

Dunno, maybe this would work better if Leif had landed by night, made the plan to attack at dawn, but was spotted by Lifis's men before. With how FE fog works, specifically with the enemy ignoring it entirely, you can never spin it as "we should use the fog to our advantage", so that angle wouldn't have worked.

Tve6l4R.png

So, no map overview today.

yoAaic6.png__sLxOXCZ.png

Annoyingly, this map combines Thracia fog with a lot of sand tiles which, unlike in Genalogy, impede movement like desert tiles. As a result, the map becomes... annoying. I could've used rescue/drops more than I did to increase movement, yes, but because your vision is so limited, you also have to be careful not to expose anybody to too much combat while carrying somebody.

I do remember two things about the map: The objective is to the east, and there's a torch hidden on a fort in the opposite direction. So, because she has good movement, Eyvel goes into the wrong direction for a second to thin out the enemies before catching up to the main group.

wrncss4.png

lwwSi9O.png: "I mean, we might as well jus' nab a knife in our necks now an' save everybody some time!"
LiuegO9.png: "I know, I know, I'm just leading her on! Gotta get my foot in the door with that lass. An' just who does Shiva think he is, talking to me like that? Did that cutthroat sellsword grow a conscience when nobody was looking?"
NtNvcV9.png: "Hey Boss, we got a couple do-gooders scurryin' in from the west!"
LiuegO9.png: "What? Here? You gotta be joking! ...All right boys, let's go say hello! The sharks are gonna be well-fed tonight!"

I think I'd personally suggested "The sharks are gonna feast tonight!", but that's just a matter of opinion. "Well-fed" sounds more like the result of weeks and months of proper eating to me, is all.

(Fun Fact: The portraits of Lifis's underlings have character names on the wiki list I got them from. It seems that some bosses' portraits are being recycled even before their own appearance)

tgb1Zt1.png__rTYSmH2.png__SWwYPeu.png

To be honest, while the map is a bit annoying, it's not particularly punishing. Yes, enemies come out of the fog regularly, but Dagdar locks that down without much issue. But because I don't see what's coming, a lot of the work is done by him and Eyvel, so this chapter doesn't offer as much opportunity to collect XP with the unpromoted units.

Yt5EllH.png__WL749Kw.png

Annnnd here's Leaf dodging a one-round at the hands of a promoted enemy coming out of the fog. Huh. Because the Warrior missed both his attacks, I didn't even register at first that Leaf, despite +7 HP, still takes more than half his HP from him.

Now, in this situation, this is my own fault for keeping the Light Brand equipped. With an Iron Sword, Leaf would've sit at 5 AS, barely avoiding getting doubled - but I have to add that my Leaf gained +1 Spd, which is not a guarantee in two level-ups (although I don't know the precise odds), so I think we can take this as Thracia's first Fuck You hurled at the player.

GCItF42.png

Dagdar then proceeds to capture the warrior with some more RNG luck, so we now have our first torch. Exciting!

hQkziZe.png

Meanwhile, Marty, Finn, and Tanya explore the western part of the map - Finn because I believe he has more problems than anybody else with the sand tiles on this map; Tanya and Marty more or less randomly selected.

xiUoaM5.png__JrVo2VJ.png

They actually find two torches: One from the other fort on the first screenshot, the second from a fort further southeast. I did know about the first (just not which fort you find it on), but not the second - I didn't even have vision of it when I randomly sent Finn to that tile.

That's basically the story of these three - they fight a couple random pirates, with Finn setting up kills for his statistically challenged friends. Marty starts his career with an impressive +Lck level-up.

gli1MNz.png

And meanwhile, the main group pushes forward - slowly. Also pictured: Me seeing that Leif has a convo with Eyvel, but selecting "wait" before registering. I'll remember to get that talk later, though.

9gNoXBK.png__Oc9brgD.png

Eventually, Halvan lights the torch we got from the warrior...

k1JmjQ4.png

...close enough to see both the "boss" and a Hindu deity. (with some clumsy editing because the tooltip hides the three generic Myrms in front of him).

XL15Bta.png

I'm pretty certain that Shiva will appear later, and will be recruitable by Safy. I think that you can grab his Killing Edge (and Vuln) here by capturing him and as long as you don't release him, he'll still return - but I'm not willing to test my memory on that, nor my RNG luck - in particular, because he doesn't need any luck to crit with a follow-up attack. I don't quite remember how the stat reduction from capturing works - Eyvel quite possibly would've been able to avoid getting doubled, and she out-cons him by one, but I don't want to take that risk.

kS0EtTx.png

Meanwhile, Lifis stands ready to teach the player that unarmed characters can be auto-captured, which I know is a very good strategy to deploy against strong enemies - as long as you take note that these will also steal your own items if you do this.

I forgot to make a screenshot, but you can find the growth modifiers of our first scroll in its item description: [+30% HP | +10% Str | -10% Lck] - not imba strong on its own, but a nice bonus for our more wimpy characters.

iJ1CGRj.png

Behold: A Ronan kill! He only missed his first attack.

b7S5k5V.png__IGH9fPe.png

Leif then draws the generic enemies from across the bridge. The Myrms are also fast enough to double him, but their attack power is low enough to allow him to face two of them nevertheless.

7piIUGN.png

This also sets off the other two generic enemies...

SQSMkWc.png__WsIkWoe.png__OwNibJK.png

...but with a little luck, the Myrmidons go down and the Warrior doesn't threaten any kills.

antLYzz.png

Well, "luck".

45v9CfG.png

The following enemy phase, some reinforcements appear from forts in the southeast of the map - again, sufficiently far away for me to ignore them, this time not even sending anybody to hunt for XP. The map is a dark and scary place.

guVyyjD.png

And the next player phase, I realise that the tile next to Dagdar is an impassable "cliff" and not another sand tile. Hm.

0F579u5.png

Can't say that I find that obvious, even now that I know it.

H1U3y87.png

Because of that, the Axe Bros have to rescue Eyvel out of the way after she set up a semi-reliable capture for Dagdar. And here I remember the convo between Leif and Eyvel:

rawFee7.png: "The pirates seem to have greater numbers... Can we make it through this, Commander?"
pJfH8pT.png: "Numbers aren't everything. We keep our heads about us, we'll make it through just fine."
rawFee7.png: "O-Of course, Commander. Still, would you happen to know anything useful about this Lifis thug?"
pJfH8pT.png: "Hah! 'Thug' is too generous for Lifis. He's small-time - ain't even worth killing. When we get our hands on him, take him alive, and don't let him go after the fighting's done. We'll bring him back to Iz and see that he gets justice for his crimes."

Tutorial hidden in an easily missable conversation. Not ideal.

ovvXjln.png

Eventually, we get close enough to Lifis, and luckily I'm not proven wrong about the assumption that surely, Shiva won't come after us as long as we don't poke him.

JIHw4QO.png

Dagdar grabs Lifis and, just to be safe, Ronan takes his stuff, in case Lifis doesn't bring his inventory into the next chapter. I did pay enough attention not to release Lifis.

7Dcn1ri.png

So, that's this map in 13 turns. The map itself is pretty inoffensive - the slowdown from the sand tiles is tolerable, enemies are at an appropriate power level - but Thracia fog sucks. Thracia fog without giving the player any torches beforehand suuuuuucks. And making every torch a one-use consumable, while "realistic", might mean that any used torch comes with the worry that you won't find a replacement for the  next fog map. All in all, not a good mechanic, or set of mechanics. I don't particularly enjoy fog of war in FE in general - always feels like bullshit when an enemy comes out of the fog and kills something - but later entries at least give you thieves and torches, with stackable vision boosts, before throwing the mechanic at you.

Jqs5ikl.png__MjcWo7x.png

KANZtjn.png: "Hm? Is that...?"
rawFee7.png: "I beg your pardon, milady. Battle is dirty business, and if I have some grime or blood on my face-"
KANZtjn.png: "Have you forgotten me already, Lord Leif? It's me, Safy - we met in Tahra."
rawFee7.png: "Safy, you say? I knew a young woman at the monastery in Tahra by that name."
KANZtjn.png: "I only had the honor of seeing you two or three times, milord. I suppose I wasn't as memorable as I thought! Still, you left an impression on me all the same. When you departed the city, it was I who wiped Lady Linoan's face of tears."
rawFee7.png: "Ah, now I can place you. Your father was a priest, and you were rather close with Linoan, were you not?"
KANZtjn.png: "As close as a woman of common birth can be, I suppose. The Duke of Tahra was Lady Linoan's father, and I am more her servant than peer."
rawFee7.png: "That aside, how did you come to be here? Has something happened to Linoan?"
KANZtjn.png: "You mean to say you don't know what's happened to Tahra since you left? Ah... Let me start from the beginning. After the Duke passed away, the Empire installed their own governor. The man proved to be a walking pox, inflicting tragedy after tragedy upon us. Just this year, they even began child hunts in Tahra."
rawFee7.png: "Child hunts...?"
KANZtjn.png: "That proved to be the breaking point. The people of Tahra revolted, installing Lady Linoan as rightful Duchess. They hired any sellsword who could stand upright, and then sent offerings of gold and gemstones to the Empire's leading noblemen. It was... an admirable effort, but King Blume of Thracia did not forgive such a slight, and summoned the Imperial Army to besiege Tahra. The sellswords proved craven and fled, and now only a handful of militiamen stand between the Empire and our city. Lady Linoan bade me leave and seek out any who would fight in Tahra's defense."
rawFee7.png: "Are things truly that dire...? The Duke sheltered me for half a decade before the Empire learned of it and had him executed. Not a day goes by that I don't think of his generosity... You're seeking folk to aid Tahra? Look no more. I pledge to deliver Tahra from this evil. Let's be off, Safy."
noQTZ2H.png: "You will be most welcome in Tahra, Lord Leif. Thank you."

So, er... Is all of this exposition only available if you visit the gaiden chapter? Because it all seems rather important to the plot. I would hope that Safy would just somehow run into Leif anyhow if you miss 2x.

j5DCB6L.png

rawFee7.png: "That's up to the villagers of Iz. We're taking you back there to answer for your crimes."
LiuegO9.png: "We both know what'll happen! You handin' me over to them is as good as killin' me yourself! Safy, c'mon, we had a deal - i said I'd go to Tahra with you!"
noQTZ2H.png: "...Lord Leif, Lifis is not an evil man. He's committed many foul acts as a pirate, yes, but he seemed genuinely repentant when we spoke earlier. Give him a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the gods."
rawFee7.png: "...All right. If Safy believes in you, I can give you a chance for the time being.

4TNLQUa.png

00uUxc2.png: "But come to think of it... If that boy's really the missing Leonster heir, the Empire'd pay mighty well to hear of it... It's worth mulling over, at least. Either way, it'll have to wait until after Safy has given in to my many charms!"

Ugh.

Dirtbaggery aside - while the action of this chapter was just a continuation of Ch.2, it's nice that with Safy's report, the stakes already grow past the personal (though still pressing) goal of rescuing the damsels. I have some vague memories how this'll go, generally in the "not good" category, but I think instead of typing up random, unconnected snippets from memory, I'll just go "Ah, yes" or "I don't remember this!" when it'll be appropriate.

The Team:

Lv.	    HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Con  XP
Leif	  3.73	    30   4   0   3   6   7   3   5  +67   [+7 HP]
Finn	  7.96	    28   8   1   8  11   5   7   9  +33
Eyvel	  */13.19   28  10   4  18  20  10   7   8  +21
Osian	  2.72	    28   6   0   7   9   4   4  11  +43

Halvan	  3.81	    29   8   0   7   7   3   5  13  +27
Marty	  2.51	    32   9   0   0   0   7   6  15  +73
Dagdar	  */6.96    43  14   1  11   9   2  10  15  +42
Tanya	  3.10	    22   3   1   7  11   8   2   4  +111

Ronan	  2.01	    20   4   0   3   7   3   2   7  +71

Answers!

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well naturally. You're not even allowed to say the words Fire Emblem if you're not currently playing an ironman run of some game.

I agree! Personally, I started a BinBla ironman six years ago. I just paused it five years, eleven months and 364 days ago after reaching chapter 2. Maybe I'll pick it up again one of these days.

10 hours ago, Revier said:

Also speedrun the game while rescuing all the villages. All of them.

Just as Kaga intended.

lynri_cry.png.d126431889d6e5c64114586fe4a02f62.png

...okay, I think my predicted time of 7+ years might not quite turn up on any leaderboard.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Gotoh, in a way not much unlike Athos, kind of fails on this point because Marth is the one cleaning up Gotoh's shit. It's Gotoh's fault things are this way. It was his apprentice that stole his dark sphere and revived his enemy because he sucked as a teacher. But he just expects Marth to go around the world collecting orbs so Marth can defeat Gharnef. Dude, you have the power to warp entire armies. Bring Marth to you and help him collect the orbs yourself. You don't even personally take to the battlefield until Gharnef is dead and Medeus is cornered. Maybe if you showed up to fight Gharnef yourself then he wouldn't have cheated death and caused all the problems in Book 2.  Not to mention the world is literally at stake in Book 2 because of the shattered Starsphere and the most he could do is sent Wendell off to collect the shards. Is drinking tea at the ice temple really more important than searching for these things yourself?

The whole idea of the wise oracle testing the hero only works if the tester has no stake in the conflict. If they're just an outside for charged with arbitration and stopping the quest reward from falling into the wrong hands. But Gotoh not only has an invested interest in seeing Marth's side win, it's his fault this is all happening in the first place by training the guy running about the place mucking things up. A character should either have the capacity to help, but no desire to do so; or the desire to help, but no capacity to do so. Gotoh has both the desire to help and the evident capacity to do so, but just doesn't, which makes him look kind of lazy at best and an asshole at worst.

Phew, didn't realize I had that much pent up hatred for Gotoh. Still, what a cool head piece he wears. 7/10, decent character.

I'm glad you wrote this. I thought I had been gone for just a few hours and suddenly Gotoh isn't the worst anymore.

50 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

ymRug7l.png: "Help, help, I'm being repressed! Now you see the violence inherent in the system!"

kB2fd9v.png: "You think YOU have it bad? For all our existence, we're just sent into the gold mines and to collect lumber essence, until we're literally detonated just to dispel something!"

54 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Conversely, what about a tome with built-in Renewal? This would let Micaiah "Sacrifice", even if just for 2 or 3 HP, every single turn. Thus making her more effective at her signature gimmick. And hey, 10 exp is 10 exp.

tbh, Sacrifice needed to be a lot stronger to begin with. As is, the Miccy's miraculous ability on which her adoration rests... is basically a Heal spell except that Micaiah goes from getting one-shot by almost everything to getting one-shot by everything. Big whoop. If it was at least, like, Mend+Restore at a fixed HP cost of 5-ish... it would still be almost entirely obsolete once she promotes, but at least it would be a more relevant ability in part 1.

29 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

You know what? After experiencing 3 Houses fans, this fandom could do more with some extreme gatekeeping.

Eh, instead of focusing on gaming skill, maybe we should just throw out all anime fans.

33 minutes ago, ping said:

I forgot to make a screenshot, but you can find the growth modifiers of our first scroll in its item description: [+30% HP | +10% Str | -10% Lck] - not imba strong on its own, but a nice bonus for our more wimpy characters.

And everyone with low luck appreciates the crit immunity.

35 minutes ago, ping said:

Eventually, we get close enough to Lifis, and luckily I'm not proven wrong about the assumption that surely, Shiva won't come after us as long as we don't poke him.

Or after a set number of turns. Don't remember how long, but I remember the turn limit being quite generous.

38 minutes ago, ping said:

So, er... Is all of this exposition only available if you visit the gaiden chapter? Because it all seems rather important to the plot. I would hope that Safy would just somehow run into Leif anyhow if you miss 2x.

Yeah, I can see why they ditched this concept going forward.

Well, technically there is an optional map in Tear Ring Saga, but that's the result of Holmes getting to walk around on the world map freely. So I don't think it makes for a very effective point of comparison.

32 minutes ago, ping said:

tbh, Sacrifice needed to be a lot stronger to begin with. As is, the Miccy's miraculous ability on which her adoration rests... is basically a Heal spell except that Micaiah goes from getting one-shot by almost everything to getting one-shot by everything. Big whoop. If it was at least, like, Mend+Restore at a fixed HP cost of 5-ish... it would still be almost entirely obsolete once she promotes, but at least it would be a more relevant ability in part 1.

It already is.

45 minutes ago, ping said:

Annnnd here's Leaf dodging a one-round at the hands of a promoted enemy coming out of the fog. Huh. Because the Warrior missed both his attacks, I didn't even register at first that Leaf, despite +7 HP, still takes more than half his HP from him.

Ya suuuuuure you don't want to give Leif the Spd Ring?😜

42 minutes ago, ping said:

All Scrolls are a net gain of +30% growths.

48 minutes ago, ping said:

Move over, Lewyn and Johan, the biggest asshole in Jugdral's playable cast has arrived.

Something something totally not Julian & Lena.😛

38 minutes ago, ping said:

Looks like the gal is missable if you don't do 2x. Which means, if you miss the first gaiden chapter, you lose out on both the first thief and the first healer. -Not exactly a beginner/blind-friendly idea.😝 Missing Canas in FE7 -the only dark magic user in the game excluding Mr. Mountain- doesn't look so bad relatively speaking, no?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ping said:

Ah, not the expected one, this time.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Except the game never validates Lifis, pretends he's some kind of great guy with a heart of gold or is anything other than a puny asshole. Refreshing.

1 hour ago, ping said:

(Fun Fact: The portraits of Lifis's underlings have character names on the wiki list I got them from. It seems that some bosses' portraits are being recycled even before their own appearance)

The only one who isn't is the eyepatch man. Everyone else gets to make an appearance later on.

1 hour ago, ping said:

JrVo2VJ.png

They actually find two torches: One from the other fort on the first screenshot, the second from a fort further southeast. I did know about the first (just not which fort you find it on), but not the second - I didn't even have vision of it when I randomly sent Finn to that tile.

...I don't think I ever knew about these torches. I always just captured some held by enemies.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Marty starts his career with an impressive +Lck level-up.

It is one of the stats he needs, to be fair.

1 hour ago, ping said:

k1JmjQ4.png

...close enough to see both the "boss" and a Hindu deity. (with some clumsy editing because the tooltip hides the three generic Myrms in front of him).

I was wondering why Shiva's taking a dip at the beach in the middle of a fight.

1 hour ago, ping said:

XL15Bta.png

I'm pretty certain that Shiva will appear later, and will be recruitable by Safy. I think that you can grab his Killing Edge (and Vuln) here by capturing him and as long as you don't release him, he'll still return - but I'm not willing to test my memory on that, nor my RNG luck - in particular, because he doesn't need any luck to crit with a follow-up attack. I don't quite remember how the stat reduction from capturing works - Eyvel quite possibly would've been able to avoid getting doubled, and she out-cons him by one, but I don't want to take that risk.

There's conflicting reports. I can confirm I myself have stolen his edge and held on to him, and he reappeared, but I've heard some folks say that you can safely release him. I wouldn't risk it, though perhaps I should. It's not like I particularly care for Edgelord 5.

1 hour ago, ping said:

kS0EtTx.png

Meanwhile, Lifis stands ready to teach the player that unarmed characters can be auto-captured, which I know is a very good strategy to deploy against strong enemies - as long as you take note that these will also steal your own items if you do this.

Lifis is your introduction to so many mechanics. Once again, why is he missable

1 hour ago, ping said:

antLYzz.png

Well, "luck".

Ouch.

1 hour ago, ping said:

pJfH8pT.png: "Hah! 'Thug' is too generous for Lifis. He's small-time - ain't even worth killing. When we get our hands on him, take him alive, and don't let him go after the fighting's done. We'll bring him back to Iz and see that he gets justice for his crimes."

Tutorial hidden in an easily missable conversation. Not ideal.

But what if Eyvel is dead-- Oh wait.

1 hour ago, ping said:

7Dcn1ri.png

So, that's this map in 13 turns. The map itself is pretty inoffensive - the slowdown from the sand tiles is tolerable, enemies are at an appropriate power level - but Thracia fog sucks. Thracia fog without giving the player any torches beforehand suuuuuucks. And making every torch a one-use consumable, while "realistic", might mean that any used torch comes with the worry that you won't find a replacement for the  next fog map. All in all, not a good mechanic, or set of mechanics. I don't particularly enjoy fog of war in FE in general - always feels like bullshit when an enemy comes out of the fog and kills something - but later entries at least give you thieves and torches, with stackable vision boosts, before throwing the mechanic at you.

As with all recently introduced mechanics, fog could use some of the later polish it enjoyed.

...Then there's the Kaga elitists that decide it's a good idea to put Thracia fog in their hacks.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Hahaha.

I don't think you've quite been listening to my many ramblings.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Ugh.

I like this guy. He's such a unique playable character. In a series filled with noble rogues, it's cool to get a rotten criminal for a thief who's basically coerced to come along because he also happens to be a spineless idiot.

1 hour ago, ping said:

I'm glad you wrote this. I thought I had been gone for just a few hours and suddenly Gotoh isn't the worst anymore.

We've basically settled at "they're both bad."

1 hour ago, ping said:

Eh, instead of focusing on gaming skill, maybe we should just throw out all anime fans.

I agree.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

11 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Very merciful of Kaga that he didn't leave a 1% incoming crit chance for them.

I think I remember that Dondon still found the scrolls useful in his run for this reason. I don't recall how riggable Thracia is compared to the GBA games, but I can imagine that the added reliability is useful no matter what.

15 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Yeah, I can see why they ditched this concept going forward.

Well, technically there is an optional map in Tear Ring Saga, but that's the result of Holmes getting to walk around on the world map freely. So I don't think it makes for a very effective point of comparison.

Too bad that BinBla kept the concept of crucial missable stuff in its gaiden maps. Arguably even worse, because you can just miss the entire ending if you forgot to move Lilina once in Ch.8 and decided not to reset because you're using Lugh anyway. Definitely my least favourite aspect of the game, even though it's not difficult to deal with if you know what's up.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It already is.

I know - but yeah, didn't phrase that accordingly.

And I don't think it really matters all that much, does it? Sure, there's poison weapons in the swamp, but LOL poison in FE, and I don't think remember the Dawn Brigade being bogged down by other status. I might just not remember, though. Really haven't played RD in a while.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Something something totally not Julian & Lena.😛

Now that you mention it - they are a "dark echo" of those two, with Lifis's entirely sexual motivation contrasting with Julian's chaste admiration of Lena (as is implied by his surprise when Lena suggests upgrading their relationship when Julia de-kagas her at the end of Book 2). I do like that kind of thing. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, not the expected one, this time.

I though "join me in death" was appropriate for Safy asking Lifis to join her suicide mission. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Except the game never validates Lifis, pretends he's some kind of great guy with a heart of gold or is anything other than a puny asshole. Refreshing.

Yeah, the actual worst thing about Lewyn as a character was the praise heaped upon him at the end of Genealogy, especially by his son. Lifis is disgusting, but I don't complain about such a character existing - like with Narcian, whose biggest fault as a starter villain is that he might stick around a few chapters too long.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It is one of the stats he needs, to be fair.

If he carries around scrolls all the time to boost his growths, he doesn't need the crit evade. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I was wondering why Shiva's taking a dip at the beach in the middle of a fight.

Narratively, it makes little sense, yeah. All he did in the story was tell Lifis "don't fuck the cleric, shithead", but it's not like he broke with the pirates or anything. In gameplay, I suppose he teaches the player that they don't have to fight every enemy on the map? Although I'd guess that a blind player wouldn't even get noticed about a Navabarlbre-shaped hole in the enemy army when it is time.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As with all recently introduced mechanics, fog could use some of the later polish it enjoyed.

...Then there's the Kaga elitists that decide it's a good idea to put Thracia fog in their hacks.

Difficulty is when reset. The more resets you force as a developer, the more difficult the game. And because difficulty is fun, it follows that bullshit game-overs create fun. If you disagree, you're not a true gamer.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hahaha.

Whoops. :lol: Must have skipped past that particular point. Er, I mean... I skipped it as retribution because you didn't even notice... I think it was Valbar dying and being revived during Gaiden!

18 minutes ago, ping said:

Narratively, it makes little sense, yeah. All he did in the story was tell Lifis "don't fuck the cleric, shithead", but it's not like he broke with the pirates or anything. In gameplay, I suppose he teaches the player that they don't have to fight every enemy on the map? Although I'd guess that a blind player wouldn't even get noticed about a Navabarlbre-shaped hole in the enemy army when it is time.

Actually, I was talking about how the cursor was on the beach but the nametag said Shiva. A witty reference to your editing shenanigans, you see.

22 minutes ago, ping said:

Difficulty is when reset. The more resets you force as a developer, the more difficult the game. And because difficulty is fun, it follows that bullshit game-overs create fun. If you disagree, you're not a true gamer.

The logic is sound.

As sound as Crazybus.

22 minutes ago, ping said:

Whoops. :lol: Must have skipped past that particular point. Er, I mean... I skipped it as retribution because you didn't even notice... I think it was Valbar dying and being revived during Gaiden!

It's okay, there's so much to unpack when it comes to what you miss from skipping 2x that I can't blame you for missing some.

You know, unlike you blamed for that other thing

We've basically settled at "they're both bad."

I agree.

On both matters, I assert the liberum veto.:Poland: Sisto activitatem!😝

50 minutes ago, ping said:

And I don't think it really matters all that much, does it? Sure, there's poison weapons in the swamp, but LOL poison in FE, and I don't think remember the Dawn Brigade being bogged down by other status. I might just not remember, though. Really haven't played RD in a while.

Helps a couple times perhaps in the P4 desert chapter- because of Elsleep and Elsilence. Might get another use or two in the Tower. But yes, it isn't very relevant.

45 minutes ago, ping said:

Now that you mention it - they are a "dark echo" of those two, with Lifis's entirely sexual motivation contrasting with Julian's chaste admiration of Lena (as is implied by his surprise when Lena suggests upgrading their relationship when Julia de-kagas her at the end of Book 2). I do like that kind of thing. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Also the presence of a Navarre in the form of Shiva.

You could argue Jamke-Edain-Dew has a hint of this too, but not so literally so. Matthew recruiting a Killing Edge Myrm and having some bickering with Serra is probably a nod to this too. I'd say something about Joshua et Natasha -but they forgot to feature a thievish third member there.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

You do that and you nuke her combat ability completely. She'd go from our first time lord* to our first staffbot lord, which she almost is post promotion anyway. Besides, that just means Laura gains less exp by healing her.

*Celica didn't use tomes or staves.

No, because I'm not 1000 years old. If I'd been relatively secluded for several centuries, then found myself talking to hyper-zoomers, I'd probably come across as archaic at best.

You think he talks really weirdly to the other residents of Arcadia. Well, there are dragons there as old as him. So is happy Arcadia full of a social divide between the young and the really frigging old where they can barely understand each other.

Anyway, I enjoy this turn of phrase. Like how Aslan calls the Pevensies "Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve". Except, Athos isn't trying to win my soul.

Funny, my mind went to the same place, only instead of Aslan, I was thinking of the beavers. Who I think use that phrase before he ever shows up.

He does look a bit like a bald Oltoph viewed from another angle.

4 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

Moral is: Never write a character who can warp around the world. Otherwise you'll have people asking "Why can't I have Hubert use warp" or "What the fuck is warp powder?".

I was going to say that yes, it's absolutely the moral. Since Gotoh wouldn't have three issues without the mass warp spell, he'd just be a very knowledgeable but very limited guy, but then I read this-

4 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

It's just hard to not get over just how stupid going through a seemingly arduous trial AGAIN sounds given that it's a sequel. Athos is shitty sure, but how can anything top "I fucked up, get the same things you already got a 2ND time, and you get no help from me". Bro sent Wendell alone. Doesn't Athos at least give you Pent the game breaker? I haven't played FE7 in ages, but as far as shitty tropes go, at least you know the devs were going for the typical "prove yourself" nonsense, which simply is too stupid to do in a sequel game with the same guy.  Hell, he's just doing nothing except chilling with Tiki whose fate is literally dependent on whether you get the shards or not so I can't imagine any conversation between them during all that time he's not helping out just going "Yeah, if Marth doesn't make it here with all the shards, you're fucked lmao". Maybe do something about it!? It's not like you were guarding her. The place is overrun with thieves and druids when Marth makes it here, and Tiki has to hide in some dingy corner alone. 

And you're right. Even if he didn't have the ability to warp across the continent, he's still shit all when you meet him at the ice dragon temple. He could have travelled to Marth and met him half way to hand over the Light Sphere.

4 hours ago, ping said:

The wiki does lie about one portrait being a Lifis underling. The guy with the eye patch. But that guy never actually gets to be a boss. In a way, Thracia is less the game of boss portrait reuse and more the game where generic NPCs are made bosses.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Eyvel quite possibly would've been able to avoid getting doubled, and she out-cons him by one, but I don't want to take that risk.

Eyvel's invincible, so the only risk is her accidentally killing him (and honestly, no big loss, Shiva is one of the more boring Thracia characters. Nice portrait though).

4 hours ago, ping said:

I think that's the grace of Lil Manster. Don't think the original was so kind as to explain what these random pieces of cloth were for.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Who cares about the exposition, if you miss this Gaiden then Nanna is your only staff bot until you reach Salem! That hell no doubt outstrips a lack of context (though I did do a no staffs at all run, but I also cheesed it with save states like a filthy casual.

4 hours ago, ping said:

tbh, Sacrifice needed to be a lot stronger to begin with. As is, the Miccy's miraculous ability on which her adoration rests... is basically a Heal spell except that Micaiah goes from getting one-shot by almost everything to getting one-shot by everything. Big whoop. If it was at least, like, Mend+Restore at a fixed HP cost of 5-ish... it would still be almost entirely obsolete once she promotes, but at least it would be a more relevant ability in part 1

Sacrifice is great...for the easy exp it provides.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like this guy. He's such a unique playable character. In a series filled with noble rogues, it's cool to get a rotten criminal for a thief who's basically coerced to come along because he also happens to be a spineless idiot.

And horny. Don't forget horny. Fucking Saphy is his motivation. If they ever do remake Thracia, I can only imagine what that cast going to look like with full supports!

2 hours ago, ping said:

And I don't think it really matters all that much, does it? Sure, there's poison weapons in the swamp, but LOL poison in FE, and I don't think remember the Dawn Brigade being bogged down by other status. I might just not remember, though.

Lekain uses mass silence in the first tower chapter. Though chances are the only mage other than Mickey you're using is Sanaki. If we do want to make Sacrifice, though, rather than removing most of its HP cost, I'd give it range. That would let you have a lot more freedom where you position your units.

2 hours ago, ping said:

Really haven't played RD in a while.

Can you really you're an elitist if you haven't replayed Tellius and posted it on Serenes for my entertainment?

Edited by Jotari

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Though chances are the only mage other than Mickey you're using is Sanaki.

Soren erasure! Pelleas erasure! Oliver erasure! Ilyana Rexbolting Dheg erasure!

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And horny. Don't forget horny. Fucking Saphy is his motivation. If they ever do remake Thracia, I can only imagine what that cast going to look like with full supports!

I can see them limiting Lifis to Safy as his lone female conversationalist. Sain had 6/7 of his supporters being women, Saul had 4/5 of his the same, Gatire 3/4. For Lifis, however... Perne, Shiva, Somebody, Somebody, Safy. Five chains sounds like enough for what would almost certainly be a remake on a budget. Do we in the year 20XX really want Lifis trying to hit on more women? Plus we've got Homer to account for too, and maybe Shannam.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can see them limiting Lifis to Safy as his lone female conversationalist. Sain had 6/7 of his supporters being women, Saul had 4/5 of his the same, Gatire 3/4. For Lifis, however... Perne, Shiva, Somebody, Somebody, Safy. Five chains sounds like enough for what would almost certainly be a remake on a budget. Do we in the year 20XX really want Lifis trying to hit on more women? Plus we've got Homer to account for too, and maybe Shannam.

I think Lifis and Robana deserve a hashing out as well. So, Perne, Saft, Shiva, Ronan, and, if I'm to nominate his random ass choice of partner then I choose...Fred. Aka Olwen's underling. They're both sort of simps, but Fred does it right.

Edited by Jotari

55 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You do that and you nuke her combat ability completely. She'd go from our first time lord* to our first staffbot lord, which she almost is post promotion anyway. Besides, that just means Laura gains less exp by healing her.

*Celica didn't use tomes or staves.

If Micaiah is a Time Lord, then why can't she just regenerate whenever she is killed?

...Kidding. Obviously, Thani is the one good aspect to her combat, so I'm not especially eager to take it away. At the same time - thematically speaking - Micaiah isn't so much a fighter. She's more a healer, and an inspiring figurehead. I think a tome with a self-healing effect would synergize with this portrayal. ...She should also actually have Authority, but, okay game.

59 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You think he talks really weirdly to the other residents of Arcadia. Well, there are dragons there as old as him. So is happy Arcadia full of a social divide between the young and the really frigging old where they can barely understand each other.

I imagine that the manner of speech in the secluded village of Arcadia would likewise diverge from the "common tongue" of Elibe. Then again, Sophia talks relatively "normal", so who knows? FE as a series is reluctant to portray different languages (not like that's unique for the genre), with the most variation in Elibe being that Sacaeans have some unique sayings.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Funny, my mind went to the same place, only instead of Aslan, I was thinking of the beavers. Who I think use that phrase before he ever shows up.

Probably, but my memories of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" have forever been maimed by viewing that steaming pile of shit, "Epic Movie". I genuinely can't remember which details are authentic.

5 hours ago, ping said:

It does have Restore by default. But I agree, a 1:1 transfer is totally insufficient. Especially for a unit whose HP is as pathetic as Micaiah. Something like 1:5, with HP loss rounded up, would be acceptable. Would be nice if it gave more than 10 EXP, but Tellius shafting Healers' EXP gains is par for the course.

5 hours ago, ping said:

yoAaic6.pngsLxOXCZ.png

Oh gods, you just made the map look twice as big! With clones of every unit. It's CQ15 all over again, for the first time.

5 hours ago, ping said:

Thracia fog without giving the player any torches beforehand suuuuuucks.

Alas, if only the previous game had a number of... locations... where the player could receive consumable items to bring to the next map.

Seriously, FE7 had the right idea here. Give the player a Torch in the Village, and lock the Foggy paralogue behind making that particular visit.

3 hours ago, ping said:

Too bad that BinBla kept the concept of crucial missable stuff in its gaiden maps. Arguably even worse, because you can just miss the entire ending if you forgot to move Lilina once in Ch.8 and decided not to reset because you're using Lugh anyway. Definitely my least favourite aspect of the game, even though it's not difficult to deal with if you know what's up.

What if you

Wanted to seize the Shrine of Seals in 30 turns?

But Bern said:

WYVERNSPAM.

Or after a set number of turns. Don't remember how long, but I remember the turn limit being quite generous.

Shiva will wait patiently for his revenge, but only for 25 turns. After that, he will begin his assault.

Fog of War imo is a decent concept that the FEs don't know how to use well. If enemies respected fog of war and played more defensively or cautiously with it around, I imagine it would be a lot less aggravating.

Lifis definitely is an interesting character. It's not often that you see a villain who pretends to side with the protagonists for extremely personal and selfish reasons, taking advantage of their credulity. I'm certainly curious to see where they go with him.

58 minutes ago, Revier said:

Fog of War imo is a decent concept that the FEs don't know how to use well. If enemies respected fog of war and played more defensively or cautiously with it around, I imagine it would be a lot less aggravating.

Lifis definitely is an interesting character. It's not often that you see a villain who pretends to side with the protagonists for extremely personal and selfish reasons, taking advantage of their credulity. I'm certainly curious to see where they go with him.

Enemies running out of the fog only to stand beside your units and not attack because they've been surprised, like how the rules apply to your units, would actually be hilarious and genuinely fun.

It didn't really happen in Engage, did it? Liberation is just... a thing that's there. They don't really do much with it. I'll give it credit for not being just another rapier, but on the other hand the effect is just kinda... bleh? It's certainly no Leif light brand.

Given that Marth gives Alear the rapier, he might as fucking well have it.

Of course I immediately gave it to Etie, but I mean, the point of "this shit's boring as balls" still stands. I don't care about Liberation.

She's basically the prototype of the badass sniper stereotype Kaga perfect starting with Raquel TRS. Also known as my favorite stereotype in all these games. So.

I can't love a unit if they start busted, unless it's Dagdar. Man, Kaga peaked there.

Or Wendel. 

"He who laughs last, laughs hardest."

- Gotoh probably

d1XtXg0.png

6 hours ago, ping said:

There's a reason Naesala's the only royal in Tellius I remotely care about.

And like 25% of all TRS characters.

6 hours ago, ping said:

e0WCZI2.png: "Your men won't be totally blind, but they'll barely be able to see in front of them. Still, I imagine you can find a spare torch or two lying around somewhere."

What a brilliant hint by Shazam Kaga. I can't wait for how he'll inform the player of everything else he throws at you!

6 hours ago, ping said:

Annoyingly, this map combines Thracia fog with a lot of sand tiles which, unlike in Genalogy, impede movement like desert tiles. As a result, the map becomes... annoying. I could've used rescue/drops more than I did to increase movement, yes, but because your vision is so limited, you also have to be careful not to expose anybody to too much combat while carrying somebody.

Maybe the idea is that enemies won't be able to move much, so the range of vision is more impactful?

I mean it's incredibly dumb when the game gives you 3 sight, but fills the map with 7 move enemies.

And then FE12 gives you 2 slight.

6 hours ago, ping said:

To be honest, while the map is a bit annoying, it's not particularly punishing. Yes, enemies come out of the fog regularly, but Dagdar locks that down without much issue. But because I don't see what's coming, a lot of the work is done by him and Eyvel, so this chapter doesn't offer as much opportunity to collect XP with the unpromoted units

Yes you can solo chapter 11 of FE8 with Dussel and Seth, but how else can Amelia be good in general?

6 hours ago, ping said:

Now, in this situation, this is my own fault for keeping the Light Brand equipped. With an Iron Sword, Leaf would've sit at 5 AS, barely avoiding getting doubled - but I have to add that my Leaf gained +1 Spd, which is not a guarantee in two level-ups (although I don't know the precise odds), so I think we can take this as Thracia's first Fuck You hurled at the player.

I don't mind early game prepromote enemies, but why introduce them specifically at the fog map? Dick move game.

Also, why does 3 Houses specifically introduce gambits at the fog map. Dick move game.

6 hours ago, ping said:

Behold: A Ronan kill! He only missed his first attack

I remember it took me a few maps before my Ronan started hitting things. Good times.

6 hours ago, ping said:

7piIUGN.png

Free iron swords. How nice of Kaga. It would suck if you simply killed them. 

6 hours ago, ping said:

antLYzz.png

Well, "luck".

You seem to have a habit being bad with based units.

6 hours ago, ping said:

So we're banning Teehee?

Killer weapons actually being used in a clever way? Unbelievable...

Free Marty weapons!

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looks like the gal is missable if you don't do 2x. Which means, if you miss the first gaiden chapter, you lose out on both the first thief and the first healer. -Not exactly a beginner/blind-friendly idea.😝 Missing Canas in FE7 -the only dark magic user in the game excluding Mr. Mountain- doesn't look so bad relatively speaking, no?

Unit wise, nothing is worse than Thracia gaidens as far as missables go.

That said, what the actual fuck is FE7 19xx?

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is why you like me.

..I don't think I ever knew about these torches. I always just captured some held by enemies

This genuinely shocks me. You're the fakest of Kaga fans.

There's conflicting reports. I can confirm I myself have stolen his edge and held on to him, and he reappeared, but I've heard some folks say that you can safely release him. I wouldn't risk it, though perhaps I should. It's not like I particularly care for Edgelord 5.

I have a soft spot for Edgelord, unlike the other 4 Edgelords. Too bad they dipped with Edgelord 6 and gave them too much steroids. That's a bad message for the kids.

But what if Eyvel is dead-- Oh wait.

I hate that one boss in ch30/31 (i don't remember which) where you fight that one dark mage, but if you actually try to kill him, he'll infinitely dodge just so he can disappear. Fuck you man.

I'm sure you're used to it. 

5 hours ago, ping said:

But Kaga hates players resetting.

Elitists don't even understand their master.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

And you're right. Even if he didn't have the ability to warp across the continent, he's still shit all when you meet him at the ice dragon temple. He could have travelled to Marth and met him half way to hand over the Light Sphere.

At least teleport during the Anri's Way questline and go "There's a few shards we need here. Let's help one another find the remaining ones". Man is actually doing nothing.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why must FE10 limit Rexbolt specifically to Ilyana? What if I want Bastian to do it?

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

And then FE12 gives you 2 slight.

Yeah, but the map itself is like 2 squares wide.

41 minutes ago, Jotari said:

eah, but the map itself is like 2 squares wide.

It might be like 24 by 18 or something, but when enemies still have 7 move, snipers have longbows, and there's a fucking meteor user, 2 sight's a bit extreme, don't you think???

And now I shill my fe12 map design thread where I'm like 18+ chapters away from that, but ill get there....one day. Imagine doing one for fe5 though. "And here we have....nothing! Someone quote a torch for me!".