I call this my H5 Run

Elieson

How many sets of Reinforcements are there here? I read somewhere that they come for 5 rounds...I'm not looking forward to that...

Looks like only 2 sets of reinforcements came (well, each set included the 2 Manhorses, the 2 AKs, and the various Cavs with Silver Swords. All were dealt with, but my advice to you is watch out, one of the Manhorses has 14 Spd, and the other has 16 Spd (easily enough to double anyone who's not prepared for it).

I've made my way through, got the Master Seal (which the enemy thief escaped through the back door, allowing me to stand on a Pillar and draw him into the castle, and recruited Maria & Minerva. Now just to head to the shop, and to the boss for the win.

Any suggestions on who to promote? Lena is lv. 20, but I've got others really close (I got a few in the 15 range).

**Update**

Ahh, Minerva & Maria are dead. The boss's AK guard did the job just fine. Now I just need to take out the boss (which I just used my save point). I think I'll have Barst Hammer him in a counter attack (since he can 2x hit him). I'll post updated stats shortly, then it's off to the Knorda Market I believe, where I will have a [hopefully] easy time dealing with the lack of reinforcements. I'll try to recruite Linde, if only for her Aura tome to give to Lena later in the game.

Edited by Elieson

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All went smoothly. Notice my awesome stats for Cain and Barst. Also, Wolf gained a +2 in HP and Str in his recent level-up...my first level-up ever that had more than one +2 in it...Score~!

Anyway, I'm not scared of the Ballistae, nor am I scared of the abundance of Silver weapons here. I'm scared of the Forged Killer Bow that has given me trouble since my days back in Normal difficulty...

Any reinforcements here?

[spoiler=Team Stats Entering Ch.11]

Units List
Funds: 1711
Name     Lvl  EXP  HP  STR  MAG  SKL  SPD  LCK  DEF  RES  Class
Marth     12   45  27    9    0    6   11   13    9    0  Lord
Caeda     13   17  19    8    1   13   20   19    8    6  PegKnight
Cain      16   16  31   13    0   11   14    8   12    0  Cavalier
Abel      15    9  29   11    0   15   13    5   11    0  Cavalier
Ogma      12    6  30   10    0   15   15    7    6    0  Mercenary
Barst     15   85  35   15    0   10   13   11   10    0  Fighter
Lena      20   --  19    0    8   16   10   18    3   17  Cleric
Nabarl    13   51  29   12    0    9   11   11   10    0  Cavalier ***
Wolf       7    7  36   13    0    5    9    6    7    0  Warrior ***
Julian     5   17  19    5    0    7   13    9    4    0  Thief
Caesar    10   46  26    8    0   11   15    6    8    0  Mercenary
Roger      9   58  24    7    0   10   15    4    9    0  Mercenary ***
Merric    14   25  27    0    6    9   13    9    4    6  Mage
Draug      9    0  26    8    0    7   12    4    3    0  Fighter ***
\ Maria   Dead /
\Minerva Dead/
 \__________/

Correction from last chapter, I had 1711 Gold, not 1701.

Edited by Elieson

Knorda Market down. only took 1 retry because I misplaced Caeda in Jake's range. I recruited Jake for bait in the next chapter & to sell his arrowspate. I got enough money to buy a Thunder, Blizz, 1 of each steel weapon, and the rapier, courtesy of the Arena, and my team's lookin good.

I just started the next chapter and realized that there's no way in hell I'm saving anyone up there except maybe Midia, for purposes of recruiting Astram only. I have Jake and Draug ready to take one for the team in this fight...and Holy Shit the reinforcements + Heimler's troop are a lot to deal with. I moved my whole team to the prison area and tried to take them out at the choke point, but it's simply not working as well as I'd hoped...there's just too many reinforcements.

I'll figure this out...but any tips?

Jake is like, an awesome utility character. Why are you sacrificing him?

I'm not going to have any overwhelming need for him in the long run. Same goes for Beck, and I know I'll likely end up spending more time than I want just protecting them. I already have Lena (who I'm not promoting with the Master Seal) who needs constant protection in dangerous environments, and pretty much anyone who's not a Cavalier (or Barst) can't handle more than one round of battle.

He has 10 range on his weapon and OHKOs dracoknights with a +4 MT forge. He requires no protection at all.

When you start coming across those Fortify priests and bishops that constantly heal the entire map and sit safely across a wall, you're going to wish you had some ballisticians.

Just adding more to the challenge then. I'm already dropping my Warp staves and refusing to use Generals.

Fortify Clerics/Curates are a pain, yes, but there rushing enemies is a tactic in itself. I have such a limited supply of Ballistae ammunition to use (Beck's T-bolt, Jake's Arrowspate, Ch 13's Hoistflamme, Ch. 14's depressingly inaccurate Stonehoist and Ch. 20's Pachyderm, there's nothing else. There's no way in hell that I'll be able to afford more at the secret shop.

Dealing with Peg. Knights and Dragon Knights is easy enough with a bow user, and I've got Wolf who can handle that, and I'm about to have Barst and probably Abel there too. Excalibur is hardly being used as well. I can't arena abuse either, and EXP is such a commodity as it is.I don't think that squeezing one of my already lv. 10-15 units out just to bring in a Ballistae for one or two kills is going to be worth it for me. Unless I power-level him (with the limited weaponry), they're going to quickly fall short of being at a decent level with the team, and in the long haul towards the final chapters, there's not much that I foresee that I'll need one for. I know I can leave them behind, and most level's reinforcements aren't going to smash me from the rear, but until I get to the Pachyderm in Camus's level, there's not a whole lot other than the occasional pot-shot and picking Fortifiers that I'd need one for. That's not enough of a reason for me to put one on a team.

Edited by Elieson

Barring a General Wolf/Zagaro at the entrance taking double 0s, not much else to add. Might want to know that the General in the chest room doesn't care what you do as long as you don't attack him.

I don't think that squeezing one of my already lv. 10-15 units out just to bring in a Ballistae for one or two kills is going to be worth it for me.

95% of the time, if you bring 10-12 units out in a chapter, and they all serve the same role, 1-2 of them are going to end up not doing anything.

Unless I power-level him (with the limited weaponry), they're going to quickly fall short of being at a decent level with the team,

Leveling them up is not the point of using them. You're deploying them to lob shit at enemies, not to watch the little green numbers pop up.

there's not a whole lot other than the occasional pot-shot and picking Fortifiers that I'd need one for. That's not enough of a reason for me to put one on a team.

It's not "putting one on a team." You don't seem to grasp the concept that just because you deploy someone for a chapter, doesn't mean that you automatically commit to deploying them permanently.

Leveling them up is not the point of using them. You're deploying them to lob shit at enemies, not to watch the little green numbers pop up.

I'm pretty sure that >70% of FE gamers are in it for little green numbers, and shiny-glowy green numbers as well in the long run.

95% of the time, if you bring 10-12 units out in a chapter, and they all serve the same role, 1-2 of them are going to end up not doing anything.

I'm pretty sure that >70% of FE gamers are in it for little green numbers, and shiny-glowy green numbers as well in the long run.

Nice arbitrary statistics there. Come on, at least 40% of the people reading will know you just made these up without a proper scientific study.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Nice arbitrary statistics there. Come on, at least 40% of the people reading will know you just made these up without a proper scientific study.

Diminishing marginal returns, duh. Not sure about Anouleth's claim, but mine is a reasonable assumption. I mean, if you have 10 units charging in the same direction (and let's just say they were the exact same), how often is it that you'll use all 10 of them?

Edited by dondon151

Diminishing marginal returns, duh. Not sure about Anouleth's claim, but mine is a reasonable assumption. I mean, if you have 10 units charging in the same direction (and let's just say they were the exact same), how often is it that you'll use all 10 of them?

That part is true. However, there are a fair number of maps in most of these games where you must split your team. Now, a straight charge I'd say you are right that a couple of them will only be used if you are trying to spread exp. There will be little need of them. However, does that happen 95% of the time?

Barring a General Wolf/Zagaro at the entrance taking double 0s, not much else to add. Might want to know that the General in the chest room doesn't care what you do as long as you don't attack him.

I'm not using Generals in my run. If I acquire a unit that's an Armor Knight, they get class changed before the next chapter.

I do have units that aren't doing crap. His name is Draug, and I'm ditching him, because I can't use a level 8-9 unit effectively in chapter 13 and on, no matter what class they are reclassed to.

It's not "putting one on a team." You don't seem to grasp the concept that just because you deploy someone for a chapter, doesn't mean that you automatically commit to deploying them permanently.

I am hitting all the Gaiden Chapters. That really limits my ability to retain units. I can't maintain 1 or 2 ballisticians when I can only have 15 or less units. Count Marth, Caeda, a Thief, and Ballistae, and the mandatory cleric and mage, and Bantu to recruit Tiki later on, I'm left with 7 units. That's really skimming by, considering Cain, Abel, Barst, and Ogma are on most teams as it is.

_______

As for my chapter, I finished the Ageless Palace and had Draug, Jake, and Midia's entire squad die. I'm just going to have to bite and live without Astram's 2 swords. I'll just get one of them when I kill him in chapter 13. I'm in Chapter 12x right now, and contemplating whether Horace is worth recruiting and using as a Dragon Knight or Hero for the time being, since the next chapter is bound to be scary. I'll get the stats later.

I am hitting all the Gaiden Chapters. That really limits my ability to retain units. I can't maintain 1 or 2 ballisticians when I can only have 15 or less units. Count Marth, Caeda, a Thief, and Ballistae, and the mandatory cleric and mage, and Bantu to recruit Tiki later on, I'm left with 7 units. That's really skimming by, considering Cain, Abel, Barst, and Ogma are on most teams as it is.

10 combat units (7+Marth+Shiida+mage) should be more than enough.

As for my chapter, I finished the Ageless Palace and had Draug, Jake, and Midia's entire squad die. I'm just going to have to bite and live without Astram's 2 swords. I'll just get one of them when I kill him in chapter 13. I'm in Chapter 12x right now, and contemplating whether Horace is worth recruiting and using as a Dragon Knight or Hero for the time being, since the next chapter is bound to be scary. I'll get the stats later.

1. Reclass Horace to Horseman (optional).

2. Perfect ballista bait.

I can't maintain 1 or 2 ballisticians when I can only have 15 or less units. Count Marth, Caeda, a Thief, and Ballistae, and the mandatory cleric and mage, and Bantu to recruit Tiki later on, I'm left with 7 units. That's really skimming by, considering Cain, Abel, Barst, and Ogma are on most teams as it is.

What Anouleth said. You can probably get by with as few as 4 other combat units.

Began the chapter by forging a +6 MT Fire called "+6 Fire". Also, last Chapter, I forged a +4 MT Wing Spear called "Win Spear"

[spoiler=Team Stats for Ch. 13]

Units List
Funds: 8701
Marth     14    7  29   10    0    8   13   15   10    0  Lord
Caeda     15   30  19    8    1   15   20   20    9    6  PegKnight
Cain   20/01   26  39   15    1   17   16    9   13    6  Loladin
Abel      20   --  32   13    0   18   15    6   12    0  Cavalier
Ogma      14   57  32   12    0   16   17    8    7    0  Mercenary
Barst  20/01    7  44   20    0   13   15   12   12    1  Warrior
Nabarl    16   97  31   13    0   10   11   13   12    0  Cavalier ***
Wolf       8   55  38   14    0    6   10    6    7    0  Warrior ***
Merric    20   --  29    0    7   10   16   12    4    8  Mage
Lena      20   --  19    0   10   16   10   18    4   12  Mage ***
Caesar    12   28  28    9    0   11   16    7    8    0  Mercenary
Roger     12   23  26    9    0   12   17    7    9    0  Mercenary ***
Julian     5   31  19    5    0    7   13    9    4    0  Thief
\ Draug   Dead /
\Jake    Dead/
 \__________/

After hitting 12x, I just killed Horace. I thought about the need for Bait in the next chapter, but figured that I wouldn't need him in that chapter anyway. So far it's going well. Chapter 13 has had 2 restarts (because my Salad kept getting Chopped up by the Hoistflamme guy.

-Ogma, Nabarl, Wolf, Barst and Merric (who I reclassed to a Curate for this battle, just so I have another healer), are at the top.

-Mage Lena (to + her Tome level), Caesar, Marth, Cleric Caeda (just to have another healer, and so she won't die in 1 hit from the Ballistae) are in the middle.

-Roger, Cain, and lv. 20 Abel are at the bottom.

Now I had 3 Master Seals, and used one on Barst and one on Cain. Now I'm contemplating using one on Merric, though Lena seems so much better bar HP & Spd. I'm really dissappointed in Merric. I also have Abel, who's doing pretty good, barring Luck, which he won't excel at anyway.

[spoiler=Promotables]

Name 	Lvl  EXP  HP  STR  MAG  SKL  SPD  LCK  DEF  RES  Class
--------
Merric    20   --  29    0    7   10   16   12    4    8  Mage
Lena      20   --  19    0   10   16   10   18    4   12  Mage ***

- My point of this is, Who should I use my 3rd Master Seal on?-

I'm also thinking that I may as well recruit [and keep] Beck, since I started a war by killing Jake. That being said, who should I scrap to continue hitting the Gaidens, assuming that I'm going to recruit Palla & Catria?

Edited by Elieson

Still have 1 Master Seal and the 3 unpromoted people at lv. 20 (Abel, Merric, and Lena), and I finished the Wooden Cavalry pretty easily. Just a few restarts is all.

I never knew that those ballistae in the middle don't attack you if you don't proceed too far into their attack range. Weird.

Anywho, in Ch. 14, and it's not that scary. Gave Roger a Master Key, Reclassed Barst to Berserker so he can run over the river at the beginning, and re-reclassed Caeda back to her original Peg Knight.

It depends on what you need more. Personally I would promote Merric, so I wouldn't have to lug Lena around to every battle, she'll be getting hit pretty hard if you make a mistake, possible 0HKO's, while Merric actually has the durability to take a hit, which is excellent for a mage in H5. I would wait for your next Master Seal for Abel, which is unfourtunatly not until chaper 16, IIRC.

If you aren't using Hammerne, feel free to drop Lena, as Etzel can replace her as an auxilery staff user when recruited, not to mention attack stuff occasionally. As for the other unit to drop, I would drop Caeser or Roger. Caeser probably has a better weapon rank, and will be a lot more durable than Roger, but Roger has a huge strength and luck growth, with nothing else. I would remove Roger, but it's up to you.

Edited by General_Horace

It depends on what you need more. Personally I would promote Merric, so I wouldn't have to lug Lena around to every battle, she'll be getting hit pretty hard if you make a mistake, possible 0HKO's, while Merric actually has the durability to take a hit, which is excellent for a mage in H5. I would wait for your next Master Seal for Abel, which is unfourtunatly not until chaper 16, IIRC.

I'll stick with Merric then. I was leaning towards him anyway, because taking 1 hit (especially with his speed, it would only be 1) is really going to make things easier. Sucks that I'll have to wait until ch16 though for Abel.

If you aren't using Hammerne, feel free to drop Lena, as Etzel can replace her as an auxilery staff user when recruited, not to mention attack stuff occasionally. As for the other unit to drop, I would drop Caeser or Roger. Caeser probably has a better weapon rank, and will be a lot more durable than Roger, but Roger has a huge strength and luck growth, with nothing else. I would remove Roger, but it's up to you.

I can drop Julian in this chapter after opening the chests with the Silver Card and w/e that other chest has, since I have 9 uses of Master Key and a Door Key still hanging around. That'll put me at 16 units after I recruit the 2 sisters. I slept on it, and figured that I'll keep Beck for the run, and Forge up his Hoistflamme and perhaps the Pachyderm when I get it. I'll still need to drop 1 other person though...and stat-wise, I'm liking Roger more than Caesar, but I know they both have good potential. I'll ponder that while I sacrifice Julian and work my way through the [10?] waves of Peg Knight Reinforcements with their stupid Forged Javelins and Silver Lances. I'm currently holed up in the treasure room. Is that a strategic place to be holed up? Well, I'll find out!

I was planning on Hammerne'ing my Forges (since my Forged Rapier and Irons are just about gone, and I doubt my +6 Fire and Ballistae ammo will last that long either). The Hammerne comes in ch 20, which means I can drop her in that chapter (sicne I'll have Etzel in my ranks) in order to hit the Gaiden. He'll probably perform just fine as a backup healer.

*Edit*

Tiki comes in Ch. 19, which means that before 20, I can replace Bantu with her. I'll still have to ditch 1 of my units though. I suppose it's really who do I ditch for Palla, because I'm keeping Catria regardless. I'm also going to save Julian and my other sacrificial unit and sacrifice them to Gharnef in the next chapter (since my understanding is that it will be completely necessary for survival).

Edited by Elieson

<br><b><i><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-style: normal; font-weight: normal;"><br></span></i></b><i><b>I'm also going to save Julian and my other sacrificial unit and sacrifice them to Gharnef in the next chapter (since my understanding is that it will be completely necessary for survival).</b></i><br>
<br><br>

<div>Didn't have to. It was tough lasting through the reinforcements though. What I did was re-class Lena back to Cleric, have Sage Merric cast Barrier on her to top off her 17 Res to 20, and let her stand on the south end of the river seperating the top land block from the south. She just took hits for 2-3 turns until he left us alone. </div><div><br></div><div>Good level for everyone. Nabarl hit lv. 20 now, and has an A in Lances and a C in Swords (close to a B though). Everyone else leveled well. I'll post stats later; got a house to try to buy today!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Here's my team now. I'm in 17x's Helena Castle, planning on how to get Etzel, and I just realized that there's a ton of doors here. I have fortunatly, 8 Master Keys and 2 Door Keys, so that should be enough.

[spoiler=Team Stats entering 17x]

Units List
Funds:  401 
Marth     16   14  31   12    0    8   14   17   10    0  Lord
Cain   20/05   16  41   16    1   19   19   12   15    3  D.Knight ***
Ogma      17   58  34   12    0   17   19    9    7    0  Mercenary
Barst  20/05   60  46   20    0   14   14   14   14    0  Berserker ***
Wolf   --/10   41  35   15    0   12   12    7   10    1  ManHorse
Merric 20/09   29  41    3   12   15   19   19    7   14  Sage
Roger     18    1  36   13    0    6   16   11    7    0  Fighter ***
Beck       7    0  24    6    0    6    5    7   18    0  Ballistician
Catria    17   28  27   14    2   16   20   13    9    7  PegKnight
Caesar    15    0  31    9    0   13   18    8    9    0  Mercenary
Palla     20   --  31   16    2   15   15    9   12    7  PegKnight
Caeda     20   --  23   11    1   19   20   20   12    7  PegKnight
Nabarl    20   --  34   14    0   13   12   16   13    0  Cavalier ***

And those who aren't in this fight
Julian                               Died Last Chapter
Lena                                 Died Last Chapter
Bantu      Base

Picked up a Longbow from the Secret Shop. I plan on Forging it up some later on.

Also, I have 2 Master Seals, and 4 people ready to Promote. Who do you think I should promote? I'm thinking Caeda (with her forged Win-Spear), and Abel (reclassed to Sniper to have another avid Bow user), but Palla is doing extremely well...I dunno.

**Edit** My funds are only 401

Edited by Elieson