Fe10 Balancing attempt! [Subject #3 - Bastian]

Vicious Sal

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how it'd be possible to break them, considering the fact that it won't affect any of the Parts that actually matter.

Part 1: Volug has halfshift, Nailah is perma-wolf.

Part 2: You only get to use a few laguz and none of them are gamebreaking.

Part 3: Ike + Crew

Part 4: You already get a bunch of royals who aren't affected by transformation gauges.

And in the end, it's always your choice if you wish to use them at all.

That's my point. The royals and Volug are already broken enough. Why make the others broken as well? Nobody would use any of the beorc characters.

Edited by Anacybele

Not everyone uses characters simply because they're broken. I mean, some people might, but other people will just continue to use whoever they like. For example, I ALWAYS use Tormod in RD although he barely gets any play time and comes back severely underleveled. I don't care, I like Tormod so I'll use him no matter what.

Speaking of which, Tormod and his crew + Stefan need more play time.

Personally, I'd have just made none of the royals playable, even in PoR, due to their brokenness (which is why none of the royals in my fic would be playable if it were a game).

But true, some people use who they like. Like I use Zihark instead of Mia despite that people are always "LOL MIA'S WAY BETTER!"

Mist really just needs Florete to be magic-based. Otherwise she's Mia with staves and a horse on promotion. I'm pretty sure she's not supposed to be semi-capable of physical combat, so let's keep it that way.

Changing the Florete to a magic sword would help Mist, but without the Sonic Sword and Runesword, Mist would be stuck with only a single viable weapon option in the whole game. I personally think it would be better to reconsider Mist to share more similarities with Elincia as a hybrid healer/fighter. Would it really be that bad to make Mist into a paladin with staves instead of a second weapon type? Before she promotes, it serves as a means to differenciate Mist from Rhys.

Changing the Florete to a magic sword would help Mist, but without the Sonic Sword and Runesword, Mist would be stuck with only a single viable weapon option in the whole game. I personally think it would be better to reconsider Mist to share more similarities with Elincia as a hybrid healer/fighter. Would it really be that bad to make Mist into a paladin with staves instead of a second weapon type? Before she promotes, it serves as a means to differenciate Mist from Rhys.

There is another buyable Florete later in the game, though, and more magic weapons wouldn't even be a bad thing (can make use of that Magic stat everyone has). I don't feel like every unit needs to be capable of great combat. Elincia aside, the units with a focus on healing are almost never going to be good combat units, and I feel like it's meant to be that way.

Yeah, I forgot that I'd change it to where the once magic-based weapons from PoR would use the magic stat again. Like the Runesword and all. In fact, I do just this in my fic. The Florete is magic-based again, for example.

Yeah, I forgot that I'd change it to where the once magic-based weapons from PoR would use the magic stat again. Like the Runesword and all. In fact, I do just this in my fic. The Florete is magic-based again, for example.

Wind edge, Storm Sword and tempest blade should stay physical otherwise swords will be eclipsed by everything due to lacking effective 1-2 range. Giving wind edge more Ht and Mt is good btw. They make sense as physical swords anyway (due to the slices causing the wind current).

I agree with florette though and how it should be magical. I don't think mist will have enough breaks from healing to attack with it anyway.

Royals aren't broken, they don't have playtime or 1-2 range that is effective and reliable.

Also, someone said elincia should be forced endgame. If we are going by army leaders, it was silver, greil, and hawk armies. So it should be tibarn (who was also technically army leader anyway), not elincia.

Edited by Lord Raven

But true, some people use who they like. Like I use Zihark instead of Mia despite that people are always "LOL MIA'S WAY BETTER!"

Actually, Zihark and Mia are pretty similar. Aside from Mia's slightly more reliable Str growth (which, truth be told, still isn't all that great...Mia's too weak to ORKO anything before third tier), they really aren't that different. They actually have very similar base stats (including the same base Str and Def) Mia just has the benefit of being in Ike's team from the start of Part 3, whereas Zihark can only be recruited into it as early as 3-7, by which point Mia will almost certainly be several levels higher if you've been using her.

So yeah, using Zihark as your choice Trueblade is completely justified (except in Hard mode where he dies too easily).

I'd only change a few things.

Make the game longer so units have more playability time and you can actually promote the DB to third tier classes (I've never managed this because you just can't use them enough. This isn't counting Micaiah and Sothe, obviously). Also, make Tormod and co. reappear earlier than part 4. >_>

Lastly, change up the ending so there are more pairing options (like IkexElincia or RolfxMist), and other endings don't suck butt (like Ike's and Gatrie's endings).

Oh, I'd also change the support system back to PoR's.

You clearly missed the Op, I recommend reading it again. ;]

Also to everyone else, i'll update the Op with everything that's listed, also dividing it by unit I guess, and gameplay, and class etc. Give me some time for that. After that i'll try to reply to most of you and for things that are contradictory I'll open up a poll. Also, later on I can add more weapons, I was planning to bring back multiple weapons from Por, like the magic weapons etc. It will take a while to be able to do that, but the current list already has my next year filled up I guess.

This will be done BTW on an ISO, so using dolphin is recommended when this actually gets a beta. And if the thing gets done, I might, go into supports that make sense. If there is even space in the game data.

OK: I made a list, which sure as daylight misses some things, If you want to add something to the list i'm compiling, please don't just shout it anymore, but also list the part it has to go under. [so if you want florete to be magical, please also put in the tab it has to go under in your post. (In this case, Weapons)]

Now then, since there are obviously going to be things that are going to be contradictory [One wants no caps, the other wants raised caps or w/e], i am planning to open a day by day analysis, day one will be aran, so everyone can shout what they want changed about aran as a unit. Once again, not as a character, no script editting.

I'll be adding everything named already now, so from this point on, please provide the tabs & your adjustment if you want to contribute. Cheers.

- Aran

- Astrid

- Bastian

- Boyd

- Brom

- Caineghis

- Calill

- Danved

- Edward

- Elincia

- Ena

- Fiona

- Gareth

- Gatrie

- Geoffrey

- Giffca

- Haar

- Heather

- Ike

- Ilyana

- Kysha

- Laura

- Leanne

- Leonardo

- Lethe

- Lucia

- Lyre

- Makalov

- Marcia

- Meg

- Mia

- Micaiah

- Mist

- Mordecai

- Muarim

- Neasala

- Nailah

- Nasir

- Nealuchi

- Nephenee

- Nolan

- Oliver

- Oscar

- Pelleas

- Rafiel

- Ranulf

- Renning

- Reyson

- Rolf

- Rhys

- Sanaki

- Shinon

- Sigrun

- Skrimir

- Soren

- Sothe

- Stefan

- Tanith

- Tauroneo

- Tibarn

- Titania

- Tormod

- Ulki

- Vika

- Volke

- Volug

- Zihark

- Beorc

- Light Mage/Sage/Priestess

- Myrmidon/Swordmaster/Trueblade

-Soldier/Halberdier/Lancer

-Fighter/Warrior/Reaver

-Archer/Sniper/Marksman

-Armor Swd/Swd Gen/Marshall Swd

-Armor Lnc/Lanc Gen/Marshall Lnc

-Armor Axe/Axe Gen/Marshall Axe

-Black Knight/Marshal Zelg

-Rogue/Whisper M

-Rogue/Whisper F

-Fire Sage/Archsage Fire M

-Fire Sage/Archsage Fire F

-Thunder mage/Thunder Sage/Archsage Thunder

-Wind sage/Archsage Wind

-Dark Sage/Archsage Dark

-Empress

-Priest/Bishop/Saint F

-Bishop/Saint M

-Chancellor

-Swd Paladin/Gold Knight Swd

-Lnc Knight/Lnc Paladin/Silver Knight Lnc F

-Lnc Knight/Lnc Paladin/Silver Knight Lnc M

-Bow Paladin/Silver Knight Bow

-Axe Paladin/Gold Knight Axe M

-Axe Paladin/Gold Knight Axe F

-Falcoknight/Seraph Knight

-Queen

-Dracoknight/Dragonmaster/Dragonlord F

-Dracoknight/Dragonmaster/Dragonlord M

-Hero/Vanguard

-Cleric/Valkyrie

-Assassin

- Laguz

- Cat F

- Cat M

- Tiger

- Lion

- Lion King

- Wolf

- Wolf Queen

- Hawk

- Hawk King

- Raven F

- Raven M

- Raven King

- Heron Leanne

- Heron Reyson

- Heron Rafiel

- Red dragon M

- Red Dragon F

- White Dragon

- Dragon Prince

- Dragon King

- Enemy only

- Swd Armor/Swd Gen M

- Armor Lnc M

- Armor Axe M

- Thief

- Fire Mage M

- Thunder mage/Thunder Sage M

- Wind Mage

- Swd Knight

- Axe Knight

- Lnc Knight M

- Bow Knight/ Bow Paladin M

- Pegasus Knight

- Bandit

- Civilian

- Vendor

- Pilgrim

- Horse

- Druid

- Summoner

- Fire spirit

- Wind Spirit

- Thunder spirit

- Order Incarnate

- Groups

- DB

- LEA

- CRK

- GM

- P4 units

- Enemies that might be recruited?

- Hetzel

- Levail

- Weapons

- Adjustments to current weapons

- Por weapons back

- Florete deals magic damage

- Etc

- Stats & Growth rates

- Adjustments

- Etc

- Other data

- Weapon levels

- Authority stars

- Bonds?

- Non attackers

- Availability

- Biorythm

- Etc

- Enemy Data

- Stats

- Bosses

- Buffs

- Etc

- Classes

- Caps

- Weapon levels

- Laguz meter

- Etc

- Bonus Exp?

- Forging?

- Shops inventory

- Skill adjustments

- Bargains

Edited by Vicious Sal

That's my point. The royals and Volug are already broken enough. Why make the others broken as well? Nobody would use any of the beorc characters.

As people have already mentioned, there seriously is no other reason to play the other laguz when you get broken royal characters.

Most importantly, I'd like to balance that out, or somehow make it so that the ability to stay in laguz form is available to characters other than loyals. Something like in FE9, for example, making the laguz band equippable by other laguz as well. I don't exactly have the solution for it right now.

And like others have said, this isn't about making units broken. If stats have to be balanced around it, so be it. I'm just hoping this will allow you to use characters you choose to use, since as people have said, it's up to the player who they use.

Let me get to this as well, since I just saw Eltoshen quote you.

It seems to me you don't entirely grasp the concept of what i'm trying to do. I'm asking the opinion of everyone and all their suggestions to compile a list. This list will be evaluated, tested and evaluated some more, because this is a balancing attempt.

Having laguz be able to stay in beast form for a longer period of time might break them. (If they lose 1 point only per battle or something like that). If we find out that it's wrong, it gets adjusted, until it isn't broken anymore. Royals aren't broken anyway since they are around for shit all except nailah who gets shit all and a bit.

Laguz also don't have 2 range, which they also will not be getting, it might be balancing, but it's not going to go to the inexplicable nonsense that might be "fair".

This will be playtested A LOT, so if anything is to weak or strong, it gets toned down until it's balanced. So whatever suggestions may come up, they will be evaluated and either discarded or tested and modified until they fit.

So to everyone: Just give suggestions, they can range from things like "change authority stars for this unit" to "change the Mt of that weapon" to "add a 1-2 range bow" to "make imbue equipable for magicians" to "nerf haar" to "boost lyre".

Some people wish to solo maps/game with laguz, why not make their lives easier.

Why not give every character 100 in every stat if you want it to be possible to solo the game with literally any character?

Oh, and I just noticed you used Tibarn's crew as examples. They aren't exactly the low-tier laguz I was talking about that needed this change and remain relatively unaffected by the gauge to begin with.

I'm not sure what being low or high tier have to do with it. If anything, high tier laguz are affected more because they're expected to endure lengthy enemy phases and kill huge numbers of enemies.

So to everyone: Just give suggestions, they can range from things like "change authority stars for this unit" to "change the Mt of that weapon" to "add a 1-2 range bow" to "make imbue equipable for magicians" to "nerf haar" to "boost lyre".

I would make the GM chapters more difficult.

Edited by Anouleth

Wind edge, Storm Sword and tempest blade should stay physical otherwise swords will be eclipsed by everything due to lacking effective 1-2 range. Giving wind edge more Ht and Mt is good btw. They make sense as physical swords anyway (due to the slices causing the wind current).

Why? The Wind Edge, Storm Sword, and Tempest Blade use magic. So they should use the magic stat. Same with the Bolt Axe.

You clearly missed the Op, I recommend reading it again. ;]

And you clearly missed me saying that those were things I would change, if I could. (I didn't realize the thread starter was actually going to make changes at first though).

Also Geoffery should get more playtime, smexy beast <3

I don't understand why people are saying Geoffrey needs more play time. His play time is just fine to me. He's not a major character, nor a commander (except for like one chapter), so yeah.

Also, his looks are meh. Ike is waaaaay hotter and sexier. <3

Edited by Anacybele

Because 3.5 chapters before Endgame is far too short. He has half a chapter less playtime than the LEA.

Geoffrey is usable for more chapters than that. I'm pretty sure I recall having him in the Hawk Army for most of part 4. Didn't use him though, not even in Endgame. Most of the other Gold/Silver Knights are better.

Edited by Anacybele

Why? The Wind Edge, Storm Sword, and Tempest Blade use magic. So they should use the magic stat. Same with the Bolt Axe.

Bolt Axe isn't in this game. Wind Edge/Storm Sword/Tempest Blade don't use magic, the person slices through the air much easier that causes a wind current causing damage. There's no magic involved.

It's comparable to Ragnell/Alondite, where they are strong/heavy enough to cause a shockwave that goes over to the enemy and hits them.

I don't understand why people are saying Geoffrey needs more play time. His play time is just fine to me. He's not a major character, nor a commander (except for like one chapter), so yeah.

Fuck. This is a balance hack. There's no plot involved in a balance hack.

Edited by Lord Raven