Moments in games that make you sad

Raven

I think this is the first and only time I'd gotten teary and choked up. I was 16 at the time.

I'd advise to watch it all just to get the feel for the situation and atmosphere. Or skip to 12:00 if you really have no time.

Man I loved that game and its characters. Still do.

Post yours.

A bunch of character deaths in various Fire Emblem games, for one. Mostly the plotline deaths, but some of the death quotes are kind of saddening, too.

Certain events in the Bioshock series made me sad or angry, and some induced both feelings simultaneously.

Something that upset me when I was younger was Lavender Town back in the first Pokemon games, because of the ghosts, specifically the ghost Marowak.

Oh. Do Visual Novels count as far as this thread goes? If so, my list is going to get a lot bigger.

Oh god. The post that I could make. It would be so big. Maybe I will try to remember all of the games I got sad in at the most sad moments during the game and post them all.

Hrmm. One of the bigger ones though that made me cry:

Tales of symphonia when lloyd and co are going to fight mithos and stuff and each of Lloyd's friends are all sacrificing themselves and 'dying' so that the rest can continue onwards.

I hadn't realized the Ace Combat games had fleshed out stories and characters. I was really close to getting the sixth one but I never took the plunge and no longer have an Xbox. Would you recommend Assault Horizon?

As for my contributions to the thread, Valkyria Chronicles has a few sad moments, but this one stood out the most to me. My father was watching me play at this point and he was as stunned and surprised as I was.

And, of course, Fire Emblem 7.

33.png

Eliwood is absolutely broken after this scene, it's heart wrenching.

ici6oTe.gif

There's lots

Walking Dead- in the end, when Lee dies. I teared up ;_;

Final Fantasy 13-2- Lightning DLC. Serah and Lightning's farewell was pretty touching.

Zelda:

Wind Waker- Hyrule King's death T.T

Skyward Sword- Fi's farewell

Xenosaga- Jin's death

I hadn't realized the Ace Combat games had fleshed out stories and characters. I was really close to getting the sixth one but I never took the plunge and no longer have an Xbox. Would you recommend Assault Horizon?

Yeah, the stories within AC games are enjoyable and most intriguing. AC5 is my utmost favourite game in the series simply for the characters and good plot, although I also really enjoyed AC04, ACZero and AC6.

And, haha... As for Assault Horizon, it's not a scratch on older AC installments. Let me simply link you to a review I wrote at Amazon UK. Yes some people who are not accustomed to flight sim games gave generally average to positive reviews, but it's really not my cup of tea.

Like a billion things in Suikoden II

Hmm

Suiko II spoilers:

I think the creepy music not changing may have staved off any premature hope that Annabelle didn't get stabbed.

Big Suiko II spoilers:

EDIT-Oh but, hmm, the ending where Jowy dies and Nanami stays dead was really effective.

Edited by Mouse

Yeah, the stories within AC games are enjoyable and most intriguing. AC5 is my utmost favourite game in the series simply for the characters and good plot, although I also really enjoyed AC04, ACZero and AC6.

And, haha... As for Assault Horizon, it's not a scratch on older AC installments. Let me simply link you to a review I wrote at Amazon UK. Yes some people who are not accustomed to flight sim games gave generally average to positive reviews, but it's really not my cup of tea.

I'm glad I asked you about it! I'll see if I can snag a copy of 5... and wow, I just realized that mid generation PS2 games are approaching the decade old mark and now I feel old.

When yuri beat the shit out of the prime minister of Japan. Sounds funny, but it was actually terrifying because it was the only villain that gets to yuri and causes him to break down crying.

Basically he tells the prime minister that he's selfish and then he starts to beat the shit out of him. His grandson leaps in front and tells yuri to stop hurting his grandpa. Yuri pushes him out of the way and starts telling him not to beg for his grandsons life because it never stopped his soldiers from killing people... Then kicks the bastard when he's down until he breaks down crying. It was sad because that was more or less the situation when yuri was watching his mother die as a kid (he tried to protect her but they killed her anyway) and the man was responsible for the death of his father too by sending him on that death mission. The prime minister also ordered the death of his mother and himself i think too...

I felt really bad for Ike in PoR when I watched him witness his father get killed and then mourn him. I felt even worse for him when I found out that

he also witnessed his mother's death at the hands of his father when his father was berserk.

I mean, that's harsh shit. Poor Ike. :(

Edited by Anacybele

I could post the Aeris death scene, which is the one that really got me since I was a young child when first playing it and not associated with the concept of characters dying in games, but that happened to pretty much everyone. The thing that usually gets to me but doesn't seem to affect others overly much is loyalty, especially in the face of death or certain doom, or defiance of an overwhelming power. Those short little speeches that characters in JRPGs usually give before they face down whatever godlike being they're up against always get me teary-eyed. I can't think of many examples, but Bioshock's good ending comes to mind:

It was short, but the last part with them holding his hand always gets me. Stuff like that.

The only one I can think of at the moment is

Fiora dying in Xenoblade

Never mind that I actually watched it on a playthrough and didn't get to it myself yet. It still made me cry. :/

I don't see why Aerith dying was sad. I find it really hard to feel pity for a character that unlikable (I blame her engaging personality which has as much charisma as a cardboard box).

However, the FF universe is littered with good immersive moments. Galuf's passing in V, Sazh losing Dajh to crystal in XIII (I'm going to go ahead and say that the end of Chapter 8 may be one of the best FF scenes of all time) and Vivi going berserk after finding out that his lifespan is finite in IX are the big ones that spring to mind. I think that it's because these characters are actually likable rather than the completely redundant Aerith.

The end of the Baten Kaitos games.

[spoiler=Baten Kaitos: EWatLO] Let's see, Xelha dies in order to return the ocean to the world, and Kalas is all sad and stuff. She gets revived by the whale, so it's all good. Then you have to return to whatever world Gaurdian Spirits come from.

Baten Kaitos Origins is even sadder in the last hour or so.

[spoiler=HIGHLY SPOILERIFFIC] The team learns that Baelheit is a *real* Spiriter, and you learn that he's Milliarde's father. After learning why he wanted to Machinate the world and after beating some sense into him, Baelheit says he'll change his ways, but then Verus comes into the room and stabs him, revealing his true motives. Yes, the man you trusted was evil all along, and he tells you that that he made Sagi into a Malideiter, made Shanath pull Gena's wings, and that he will know consume the power of the Afterlings in Tarazed's Core to take over the world, leaving a traumatized Geldoblame behind. Milliarde is saddened greatly, but moves on with the party, after Guillo told her to "cry buckets" later.

After following him into Tarazed's core, you kill him. If you killed Wiseman in the past, Wiseman appears and proceeds to consume the Afterlings there, turning into a horrible monster (not that he wasn't one before). The party tries to phase himm but fail. Malpercio/The Loyal Brotherhood of Five then motivates you and Sagi, telling him that they've always been watching, and that they're proud of you/Marno. You soon feel renewed strength, and successfully take down VerusWiseman.

You return to Tarazed's Core, but you see that it's set to self destruct, pressumably because of the Afterling's being eaten by Wiseman. You try to leave, but Sagi gets caught in a trap. It seals his heart, so you can't talk to him. Seeing him lose strength, Milly and Guillo find the panel for the trap. One of them must sacrifice themselves to save Sagi, and after an arguement, Milly says she'll do it. She is about to do it, but Guillo pushes her away, saying "Sagi needs you more than he needs me. Milliarde, take care of Sagi." Milliarde is greatly saddened by this, and proceeds to "cry buckets." Sagi comes to and goes to Milly, saying that he heard everything that happened, and comforts her. They start leaving, but Sagi disconnects and takes Guillo's head with him.

They flee from Tarazed, but find that the ship isn't there. Milly falls off because of Tarazed, so Sagi jumps to catch her in midair. Thinking that they'll die, they soon get rescued by the Sfida.

You'd have to experience it yourself to be saddened by it, but w/e. Also, Le Ali del Principio (from the Baten Kaitos Origins OST) is a beautiful song, and it plays when you

fight Verus Wiseman

I'm going to correct you on BKO (I loved that game). Shannath ripping out Gena's wings took that cake for me there.

EDIT: Haven't played it in so long that completely derped on that scene.

Edited by Lochem

Sad huh, well, I suppose I have one to share.

[spoiler=SRW MX]Basically, this video:

It's summary explains it in a nutshell, but just to drive the point further...

For a series that is very inclined on the idealistic scale, you have this. Not only are the events of Asahina's death unavoidable; as the video shows, you have to play it. Not just see it as it was in the original anime, no sir, you have to do it by your own hand! And what makes it worse is that it happened just after Ayato was able to save Touji, which of course isn't how the whole thing happened originally in NGE, so the whole situation was one of relief and optimistic, and then it does a full 180 out of left field.

So basically, it took an already sad event, and tossed it in a situation with variables that only made to increase the sadness. That's just terrible man...