SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Mario and Pokemon, yes but Zelda only has four characters and has had those same four for three games now (Toon Link and Young Link are the same character, shut up). Of course the four we have are all in a tier in their own for importance which makes it hard to really choose and adequate fifth character. Vaati or Tingle seem like the only real candidates for me.

We have 5 counting Sheik. (Also Toon Link and Young Link have quite the differences in terms of how they work! But I won't get into that here).

Honestly I don't think Vaati or Tingle would bring much to the table, Skull Kid? Midna? Maybe.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 5 counting Sheik. (Also Toon Link and Young Link have quite the differences in terms of how they work! But I won't get into that here).

Honestly I don't think Vaati or Tingle would bring much to the table, Skull Kid? Midna? Maybe.

Oh yeah Sheik. Forgot that. Point is though the cast has not changed since Melee.

Vaati would bring plenty to the table, what are you talking about? He uses a form of magic that's not really like anything we've seen in the game yet. He's called the wind mage, but he does more than just wind-related stuff. He has all sorts of crazy attacks in TMC due to his three different forms, and his Final Smash would be easy to make: his final eyeball bat form!

Also, Daisy can be different from Peach. Sakurai has made movesets from literally nothing, and Daisy actually has her flower theme to work with, so she doesn't even quite have nothing.

I'm all for another Zelda character. Impa is a very deserving rep, since she has appeared in a large number of Zelda games. Sheik did steal her ninja thing, though. To get around this, Impa could take some pages from Hyrule Warriors and use a naginata, which would be awesome. We don't have any spear-type fighters yet. The only staff fighter is Palutena, and Impa would be a much more speed-focused character than her, I would think. I could see Midna or Ghirahim having great movests too, though they are only single-game characters, so I don't know if they quite deserve the spot alongside Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf (Sheik got grandfathered in since she started as part of Zelda haha).

I would say outside of Impa, Vaati is the most deserving character. He doesn't have a lot of signature moves that could be easily translated into Smash, but they might be able to throw together an interesting moveset for him from his 3 apperances. He could transform into his black ball form for some of his attacks. Or they could just focus on wind attacks, with his attacks doing low-ish damage but granting him great floaty/low-friction mobility along with trapping and gimping ability.

I don't feel like Tingle or Skull Kid really have much going for them. They don't have a huge variety of attacks, and neither is known as much of a fighter. Skull Kid didn't even make it into Hyrule Warriors. That said, weirder things have happened, and I know Skull Kid at least has a modest fanbase in the SSB community.

Skull Kid's final Smash would be easy to make at least. In imagine he could do some black magic stuff and maybe use Tael as an aid to his attacks like the duck on Duck Hunt Dog.

Impa could be more inspired by her Hyrule Warriors appearance if need be, use a giant sword or a naginata.

Vaati's moveset can have tons of wind and magical attacks, maybe shoot a magic tennis ball from Zelda that's really powerful, but of course can be bounced back and forth.

I would pay money for Tingle. He's weird and wonderful enough to have a fair amount of scope, and I'm rather fond of him! He's got balloons, he's got his strange magic, it's not that a moveset would be impossible.

Vaati may have moveset potential, but where does he stand in terms of Zelda?

A one off villain whos been in more spin-offs than main games? Does that seem very "Nintendo All-Star?"

Least with lesser known series like Xenoblade they typically only get one character and is a statement to a part if minor part of Nintendo history, instead of over-saturation, which is what we currently see with Mario, Zelda, FE and Pokemon in particular.

wario has his own spin-off. rosalina had stuff like luma to work with, so please don't ever compare her with daisy again.

Uh, Wario having his own spin-off has nothing to do with what I said. Rosalina having Luma was not something anyone considered. Who's to say Sakurai won't be able to come up with something equally interesting for Daisy?

Honestly, the whole "[Character] would just be a clone" argument is so terrible it is both not an argument and a terrible argument at the same time. Not an argument because Sakurai has shown that he can basically make anyone unique, and a terrible argument because even if someone does end up a clone, what does that mean for anyone else? Nothing. Clones are merely extras. If we do get Peach-clone!Daisy, it's highly unlikely that she would come at the expense of anyone else. That's just how clones work.

Vaati may have moveset potential, but where does he stand in terms of Zelda?

A one off villain whos been in more spin-offs than main games? Does that seem very "Nintendo All-Star?"

Uh, what? Vaati hasn't been in a single Zelda spin-off and he's hardly one-off. He's had THREE appearances in the main series and is the most recurring Zelda villain after G-dorf. And haven't plenty of people said before that Smash needs more villains? (which is the only reason I'd accept K. Rool)

Uh, Wario having his own spin-off has nothing to do with what I said. Rosalina having Luma was not something anyone considered. Who's to say Sakurai won't be able to come up with something equally interesting for Daisy?

Honestly, the whole "[Character] would just be a clone" argument is so terrible it is both not an argument and a terrible argument at the same time. Not an argument because Sakurai has shown that he can basically make anyone unique, and a terrible argument because even if someone does end up a clone, what does that mean for anyone else? Nothing. Clones are merely extras. If we do get Peach-clone!Daisy, it's highly unlikely that she would come at the expense of anyone else. That's just how clones work.

wario had much more content to work with. he could still come up with something for anyone since he is sakurai, but i'm just a bit doubtful with daisy.

i'd rather have a different clone that has a niche as the purposely bad character. *points as siggy* or at least clone krystal or something.

Edited by PichuMaster3000

Even among Mario characters, I'd much prefer anyone else than the one whose biggest claim to fame is "the other female character in Mario Party." Why not Toad, Waluigi, or if we need gender diversity, Birdo? I'm in agreement with Jedi and Comet that we don't really need Mario characters though.

Edited by Knight

Waluigi has even less of a chance than Daisy. Daisy has been around way longer and at least appeared in a game outside sports, party, and kart games (her debut, Super Mario Land). Waluigi was created solely FOR those spin-offs and nothing more. Imo, he should have never even been an assist trophy in Smash, at least before Daisy gets to. I also don't get why he's grouped in the Wario category when he doesn't even appear in a Wario game. I really think it's unfair that Daisy is still just a regular trophy while Waluigi is an assist. Daisy is a way better character anyway, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

Toad (as Captain Toad) is the only character in the Mario series that I feel has any chance of happening as Smash 4 DLC. With all the representation the series has at this point I don't think it needs any more clones.

Daisy is pretty much a joke character at this point anyway. Even her fans have accepted this.

Uh, Captain Toad has zero chance. He can't jump. :/

Sure, Sakurai could change it to where he can, but that would be awkward. Captain Toad has never ever been able to jump, and suddenly he can? Yeah...

I'd said it before, and I'll say it again: Sakurai has broken tons of rules to include certain characters in Smash. Why can't he do that with Captain Toad?

Heck, he doesn't even have to do so to include Captain Toad. The character literally carries a bag filled with stuff to use, so Sakurai could come up with something to make him jump like a pogo stick or a set of springs.

"Captain Toad can't jump" is literally the lamest excuse to disprove the character.

It wouldn't feel like Captain Toad to me even if he used something from his bag to jump. Otherwise, I'd be all for him because I enjoyed his game so much, So imo, it's not a lame excuse at all.

Some things that are also impossible for characters in smash to do in their own games that they do in Smash.

Sonic can't double jump in most games, Shulk can't double jump, Little Mac certainly can't jump off walls in Punch Out!!

Robin can't use Nosferatu as a Tactician, Ike has nothing like Eruption in FE gameplay, not even the Yune blessing at the end of Radiant Dawn manifested itself in such a way. Link can't jump unless theres a ledge (normally). Olimar can't jump period.

I see a trend :P:

Edited by Jedi

Yeah, but they're never actually stated to be unable to do any of those things. They're never shown doing them in their games, true, but still. Captain Toad is specifically stated to be unable to jump because of his bag.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, but they're never actually stated to be unable to do any of those things. They're never shown doing them in their games, true, but still. Captain Toad is specifically stated to be unable to jump because of his bag.

And Sonic's main weakness is the glaring fact that he can't swim; something that is VERY apparent throughout every game. Yet, he wasn't excluded from that in Brawl.

JS

And Sonic's main weakness is the glaring fact that he can't swim; something that is VERY apparent throughout every game. Yet, he wasn't excluded from that in Brawl.

JS

He has the worst swim time of any character however to show it. Also remember in the Genesis and Advanced Era he could go underwater for a time and run.

Rush and Colors as well.

Better example is that Megaman doesn't explode from any pointy object like in his series.

Edited by Jedi

He has the worst swim time of any character however to show it. Also remember in the Genesis and Advanced Era he could go underwater for a time and run.

Rush and Colors as well.

Better example is that Megaman doesn't explode from any pointy object like in his series.

Haha! Point taken

Also, Daisy can be different from Peach. Sakurai has made movesets from literally nothing, and Daisy actually has her flower theme to work with, so she doesn't even quite have nothing.

Define "nothing". Daisy would probably, at most, simply replace Peach's heart effects with flower effects. She's basically a palette swap of- oh wait, she's already here! Sweet!

Skull Kid's final Smash would be easy to make at least. In imagine he could do some black magic stuff and maybe use Tael as an aid to his attacks like the duck on Duck Hunt Dog.

Um, Skull Kid already has a final smash.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9X67a_GII

If it were anything else, the universe would implode.

"Captain Toad can't jump" is literally the lamest excuse to disprove the character.

Captain Toad is literally the lamest excuse OF a character. Ooh, burn! If Waluigi can't make it, I don't think any more Mario characters will. Besides, we already got all the good ones.

Define "nothing". Daisy would probably, at most, simply replace Peach's heart effects with flower effects. She's basically a palette swap of- oh wait, she's already here! Sweet!

Uh, no, Daisy is not already in the game. A palette swap is not Daisy, it's Peach in Daisy's colors, and I fucking hate Peach. I don't like people telling Daisy fans like me that we should just go with Peach in Daisy's colors. IT IS NOT THE SAME BECAUSE IT IS NOT DAISY, IT IS PEACH.

Daisy doesn't have a parasol or Toads. She'd need other things in their place. She also doesn't float. She is not simply a different colored Peach at all. She technically used to be though, until her design was changed.

Edited by Anacybele

Captain Toad can't jump solely because of his backpack. Toad himself CAN jump. He doesn't jump in his game because of gameplay reasons. Sakurai can easily work around that. Heck, the Captain Toad from the Toad Brigade in Mario Galaxy is seen doing actual jumping.

Olimar is specifically stated to be the size of a coin. Pokemon canonically can't learn more than four moves. These rules are already broken in Smash.