Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated characters? [Fire Emblem: Awakening]

This isn't "bash the characters to hell and display your undying hatred" thread... and while that can be arguable for the fact that this is all the Awakening board talks about these days... It's *SUPPOSED* to be civilized, no matter how wishful thinking that is for a thread like this.

This isn't the "bash other members" thread either. I don't see where I did anything wrong. I was only stating my opinion and that's all. I never said anything about having an "undying hatred" for any characters. Also, why have you started picking on me all the time again?

Anyway, to get on topic, I've never seen much love for Stahl... Strange. o.O

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has brought up Stahl or Sully, despite them being solid units and having good support convos. I demand shirtless Stahl artwork IS!

EDIT: ninja'd, but I still have legitimate points

I have unofficial shirt-less Stahl made by a friend if you want it?

Don't ask about it I just have it

Naw I don't think Inigo, Severa or Henry are overrated, if anything Inigo was severely overshadowed by Owain and Severa was severely overshadowed by Lucina. Henry is rather meh as a unit and character, but I wouldn't call him overrated. The characters who I think are overrated are Owain, Lucina, Chrom, and Tharja. I don't have a problem with any of them in fact I actually really like owain and Lucina. But you can't say that they aren't overrated. Especially Owain, Lucina, and Chrom who are very recognized by many, and even being used by people who don't play Fire Emblem.

As for who I think is underrated, I say that Brady and Cynthia are extremely underrated. Both are great!

Inigo definitely isn't overrated, but I can see why people think Severa and Henry are. I really hate Henry, but I just find Severa likeable, for some reason.

And Maribelle is extremely underrated. She's great, so I don't really understand the hate for her. (Don't tell me why).

Overrated: Sumia.

Sumia, I would have liked if her klutziness gimmick was portrayed as comedic rather than boring and stupid. All she does is fall flat on her face all the time and complain that she can't do anything right. If her klutziness had, say, caused some humorous accidents and she laughed at herself for it, I'd really like her. But nope. I really don't get how people find her cute at all. She does have a nice design though.

Sumia? Overrated? Certainly not on Serenes Forest... I have a feeling you put her on your list because of your dislike for her character, and not taking an impartial view of the characters and trying to judge which ones are overrated or not.

I agree with the rest of your list though, except for Stahl. I believe he is neither overrated or underrated. He seems to have an average ( :P:) amount of popularity.

Over is Vaike. If Vaike was considered a genocidal Nazi he'd be overrated. I always kill Vaike the first chance I get. Vaike should die in a hole.

For underrated, Marribelle, pretty much what everyone else says. Also, risking her life for her country kinda makes her auto spoiled sweet in my book. Also she hates Vaike. That too.

And thus the proud tradition of "overrated/underrated" threads continues where the TC doesn't even bother to specify context...

Sorry if I was being a little vague... I mean overrated or underrated as in a character AND as a unit. Can be either, I was just curious.

Sumia? Overrated? Certainly not on Serenes Forest... I have a feeling you put her on your list because of your dislike for her character, and not taking an impartial view of the characters and trying to judge which ones are overrated or not.

I agree with the rest of your list though, except for Stahl. I believe he is neither overrated or underrated. He seems to have an average ( :P:) amount of popularity.

Well, for some reason, I've met a lot of people that like her. But I guess she could be less popular than I thought. xP

And I already explained that I've not seen much love for Stahl personally, but I guess I'm wrong about that too. lol

No one has brought up Stahl or Sully, despite them being solid units and having good support convos. I demand shirtless Stahl artwork IS!

EDIT: ninja'd, but I still have legitimate points

They're fairly rated, like the majority of the cast.

Overrated as a character: Chrom, Lucina, Tharja, Cordelia. I get that people like them and all, but I do get really tired of seeing Chrom/feMU and maMU/Lucina or Tharja or Cordelia 99% of the time on FFN. Apparently there's a lot of love for Owain, but I guess I don't see this where I visit.

Underrated as a character: EVERYONE ELSE

Overrated as a unit: Probably Morgan, although I'm not sure if a lot of people do this anymore. I don't really care that 3rd generation Morgan can be the most broken unit in the game, when 2nd generation Morgan also suffices and exists earlier than 3rd generation Morgan most of the time.

Underrated as a unit: No comment

Really? Now, I don't claim to be an expert on the fandom, but from what I've seen...a LOT of people like Sumia. And I really don't get it. Yes, there are people who hate her for the Chrom/Sumia implication, but...the people who love her seemed, at least from what I saw, the majority over that.

I'd say that Basilio is quite underrated, I think he's HILARIOUS XD But I don't see a lot of people talking about him. And Cherche, to some degree. Might not be the best unit, but she's alright.

I also can't understand why some people like Nowi so much.

Well, there are a lot of people who merely like characters and people who overhype characters, which is a difference. I'm only part of SF as a major FE community and the only other places I visit with FE-related stuff are youtube and fanfiction.net.

I have not seen Sumia overhyped as a character anywhere that I visit. I mean, maybe they do exist and I'm just not seeing it, but I think that Chrom, Lucina, Cordelia and Tharja have a LOT of vocal fangirls and fanboys who are very, well, LOUD when they see people who don't like or dislike them. I haven't seen Sumia lovers who are anywhere near that vocal about people disliking Sumia.

Over is Vaike. If Vaike was considered a genocidal Nazi he'd be overrated. I always kill Vaike the first chance I get. Vaike should die in a hole.

For underrated, Marribelle, pretty much what everyone else says. Also, risking her life for her country kinda makes her auto spoiled sweet in my book. Also she hates Vaike. That too.

Um, most people here I've seen hate Vaike.

Overrated? Chrom. Chrom. Chrom.

Underrated? Definitely Laurent. I never hear about him.

Overrated as a character: Chrom, Lucina, Tharja, Cordelia. I get that people like them and all, but I do get really tired of seeing Chrom/feMU and maMU/Lucina or Tharja or Cordelia 99% of the time on FFN. Apparently there's a lot of love for Owain, but I guess I don't see this where I visit.

I'm sick of seeing these pairings too. I don't even see Male Avatar x Cordelia nearly as much as these three. It's one of the main the reasons why I'm going to write a bunch of fics that feature Frederick x Female Avatar and draw a lot of fanart of them. Just to get a lot of something different out there for a change.

Underrated? Definitely Laurent. I never hear about him.

I love Laurent :(: But I also think that other characters like Yarne are also just as underrated.

This isn't the "bash other members" thread either. I don't see where I did anything wrong. I was only stating my opinion and that's all. I never said anything about having an "undying hatred" for any characters. Also, why have you started picking on me all the time again?

Anyway, to get on topic, I've never seen much love for Stahl... Strange. o.O

Let me explain why you think I'm picking on you.

Chrom, Lucina, Tharja, Sumia.

You have grounds for the first three.

What I see about Sumia being added to the list is simply because you dislike her.

Mother of crap, overrated is NOT synonymous with "I don't like the character".

Besides people stating "I like Sumia x Chrom", Sumia doesn't even REMOTELY have a fanbase to be overrated.

I'm hell of a lot more mean about it, simply because I've called you out on things like this repeatedly. I can't do the following like this kind person has done:

If I was really a jerk and wanted to attack you just because you're you, I'd get banned already.

While I have been a jerk and have responded with anger and "not-so-nice" posts on some of your statements before on this forum, none of them are stepping over the line of attacking you personally, rather than your statements.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I completely agree.

I'm also slightly biased because Laurent is my avatar's son but I do think he is legitimately underrated :P:

In all seriousness, I find a lot of characters to be underrated simply because no one really pays them any attention, but they're not horrible either. Of the children, Laurent and Yarne seem to get the least attention, maybe Kjelle.

Edited by Sangyul

Let me explain why you think I'm picking on you.

You have grounds for the first three.

What I see about Sumia being added to the list is simply because you dislike her.

Mother of crap, overrated is NOT synonymous with "I don't like the character".

Besides people stating "I like Sumia x Chrom", Sumia doesn't even REMOTELY have a fanbase to be overrated.

I'm hell of a lot more mean about it, simply because I've called you out on things like this repeatedly. I can't do the following like this kind person has done:

If I was really a jerk and wanted to attack you just because you're you, I'd get banned already.

While I have been a jerk and have responded with anger and "not-so-nice" posts on some of your statements before on this forum, none of them are stepping over the line of attacking you personally, rather than your statements.

The thing is, you call me out on things CONSTANTLY and it always starts crap like this. And it's never necessary, because there's an awesome thing you can do called ignoring. Haven't you ever heard a common little phrase that goes "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?

And of course what I said implies that I don't like the character. How else can I explain why I find her overrated? I also said that I've met a lot of people that like her.

Edited by Anacybele

Overrated...? Tharja or Henry I guess?

Underrated? Virion, Maribelle, and Sumia to name a few I guess?

I don't like refering to things as overrated or underrated...

Edited by Junpei Iori

"if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?

But that's boring. It wouldn't be the internet without needless drama and potshots.

That's why I like Gangrel. He isn't afraid of speaking his mind to the point of starting wars. Good guy that Gangrel. :D

Oh, and yeah, overrated =/= i h8 dis char (Yes, I know my prior post had that. 'Twas all in good fun). It means that something is rated higher than it should be, which our lovable clutz is not. If anything, I see nothing but bashing about her except when it comes to gameplay.

As a character? More often than not, nothing but bashing. I see no vocal fanbase that screams at the top of their lungs about how Sumia is god-tier character. No, I just see lolpie.

Meanwhile, I am the entire Gangrel fanbase.

Edited by NoNameAtAll