New 3DS Fire Emblem game

Shadow Stalker X

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't SMT x FE for the Wii U, though?

I don't really think they're the same game

Which is why I think most people assumed (me included) this is going to be a main series title.

I haven't read this thread, so this might have been thought of, but going along with the thought that this game revolves around 2 armies and bigger choices; I think it would be very interesting if each side had it's own lord (giving you the choice of sides to fight for), which, if true, would seem to be Marx and whomever he is fighting in the red, possibly. With that said, I'm would be interested in seeing how they would incorporate an evil force when both sides could be fought for, and how they would be tied together. I'm curious too about the dancer and her role between the sides. She completely mesmerized me with her dance.

I thought the same thing about having more than one lord. Maybe there is no "lord" class but instead several characters function as lords, like in Radiant Dawn (specifically part 2). If so I'm thinking Kamui, the dancer, Marx, and the other guy in the last scene would be the ones. The latter three because they at least seem to be major characters, and Kamui if he is the avatar as some are guessing. The story would either shift between them with your choices affecting how later events play out (for example, a given chapter gives you two options- defeat the enemy general or defend for x turns, if you let the general live he brings reinforcements on a later map), or you would choose who Kamui follows at a certain point like in Sacred Stones.

Edit: I guess my example isn't the best, basically I'm thinking of how we've already seen instances of gaiden chapters requiring certain objectives or enemies needing to survive a chapter in order to join you later, but on a grander scale that would affect the story in the long run. Think branching paths and so on.

Edited by Owain Dark

Another thing is that the ogre pretty much leaves 2 possibilities open to me. Either they are being used as tools of war (think Lord of the Rings) or they are part of an outside force, which seems likely given the scene with Mouth of Truth, and just typical Fire Emblem style. If this is true, then that force probably presents a bigger problem overall than the opposing army. Perhaps, you play for both armies in parts, and come together to beat a bigger force?

"Choice" is the key term here. Iwata referred to combat and all the little decisions involved with a strategy game as well as the larger story implications, it seems that this IS want to expand this aspect of the fire emblem game. Weapon variety is likely to be very high and the Avatar this time around may finally be a meaningful character that actually will have development based on the decisions made. However, I'm very pleased to hear "challenges that haven't been seen before" which would imply a superior mission variety. Maps and Backgrounds look more interesting/alive and the battle transition is fantastic. On to character design....It looks like Awakening, which is fine for me personally since I liked those designs outside some classes (I'll never get used to knights in 3d lol, way too bulky and ridiculous looking). But here I like cavalry much better, myrmidon design's a bit more tasteful too, I actually like the adjustment to that one. Marus is going to probably be someone I like in this game. I'm curious about the other samurai though. Also, yay, older spells are back, but I'd like a big nerf to dark magic. Quite excited to see what IS can do, the engine is done, the future is secure, they have the opportunity to focus once again on a goal much like a game like MAjora's mask or FC3 Blood Dragon instead of being a weird amalgamation of previous game mechanics. FE: If is in a position to be something quite special.

Pretty sure this is a main series title; I was actually thinking just a few days ago that this was the longest it's ever been between new FE releases. There were around 2 years and 7 months between FE5 and FE6, and FE13 came out in Japan 2 years and 9 months ago. We were more or less due for an announcement.

Any thoughts on the floating islands? They creeped me out first time I saw the trailer.

Aside from islands there's...a blotch in the sky. That blue sky with fluffy clouds amidst an otherwise gray-clouded sky.

Any thoughts on the floating islands? They creeped me out first time I saw the trailer.Aside from islands there's...a blotch in the sky. That blue sky with fluffy clouds amidst an otherwise gray-clouded sky.

It reeks of magic to me. Maybe an alternate dimension or something like that?

In that "ethereal realm" duel, neither of the two combatants have the characteristic "evil" look, so I assume both are probably playable. Hell, it'd be hilarious if the twist is they are the lords of the game and you choose a faction and stick with it. Or I guess it could also work like how it did in Radiant Dawn and the switching of perspectives.

Same art designer though? Some of his designs were just a tad questionable in Awakening and I already see Lucina in the dancer girl...

What I was just thinking with the "if" title and emphasis on decision-making being crucial in this game is what if it's a mechanical successor to Radiant Dawn? Following different armies, often having to fight your own people, and the grand finale being both armies coming together to fight the ultimate evil, or even branch off different endings where you might end on a battle royale with all of one side falling. It can be argued that Radiant Dawn had the most variation in gameplay, and I would personally love to see a universe where you can have two equally-powered armies fighting each other.

Basically, things I would love to see, mechanics wise:

variation in chapter goals beyond route and kill boss (Defend/escape/hold the line/something like RD's 2-P with a mission crucial NPC getting kidnapped by baddies)

balanced alternating army control (After all, we don't need another woefully-inexperienced Dawn Brigade situation)

multiple endings (Bad ending being something of a total party wipe, ok ending being wiping the other side, best ending ????)

Supports being midlevel difficulty to get (Not like every 2 chapters in Awakening for each level but no grinding 100+ turns for S support either)

It reeks of magic to me. Maybe an alternate dimension or something like that?

I don't think so, those might be the potential futures or "paths" that we can create with our decisions. "What If I did this?" Boom New future illustrated in that realm. But all this is rather confusing we have the custom character Kamui who might be the one who attacks our dancer friend but dissolves for some reason. We have the Western/Japanese Conflict with the two "generals" one who we know as Marcus and the other presumably the leader of the other faction. Marcus begins to question his father at some point in the story. We can infer that this "father" figure might have been the emperor figure in the dancing CGI. Then we have this alternate realm. But Kamui's place in this worries me much like Robin from FE: A, I don't want him to detract from the others and become a dull amnesiac monster like Robin's backstory was. But the awakening sequence already has people who know your name, so amnesia might not be a thing. Then we have the monster figure that Marcus kills as well as the Mouth of Truth golem. How do these things match up? I suppose we'll find out in summer or hopefully more in march.

as if they didn't notice that the FE13's dark mages look bad, they decided to make the spellcasters in here more hideous, by making them bare-chested. what the hell IS.

Also, assuming there's actually 2 different factions(thus 2 different endings), I think there will(and should) be a 3rd option on this game, revolving around the dancer girl.

EDIT: I think the purple girl is one of the spellcasters with bare outfit like I said above. What fears me is that I would have to use them in order to use ice magic.

Edited by singularity

Since somebody mentioned it, I don't think there's any reason to suggest this isn't a mainline title.

According to somebody who might have worked on the game, this game is known as FE15 internally, which fits with Awakening being FE14 internally.

I guess we'll find out when the official site rolls out or something.

That said, if BSFE is considered a mainline title by IS, it's gonna be hard to find a non-mainline game.

Wow, nice catch. I do wonder why there's a dark knight at what appears to be pretty early in the game. Considering the two units shown have about 22-23 HP each, this has gotta be one of the first five chapters; that's a bit early for promoted units to get thrown in.

There's also a Swordmaster right by the boss.

I seriously hope those promoted units were either placeholders or were put there for demonstration purpose only and not some nasty "Lunatic additions" for an early game map...

(Borrowing this image because I'm too lazy to upload it again...)

Looking at the Dark Knight, we can see that she(?) apparently doesn't have a generic enemy/NPC head. Being that she's not the boss (who's shown above), could it be that she's a recruitable enemy?

That looks a bit like Marx/Marcus to me

Jan_016.jpg

But hey, I could be wrong

I'm fairly sure that is Max in that fight.

I'm referring to the sprite in the picture in Ryo's post

unyxbipj3vsbqaelwfe0.png

The mounted unit whose head is visible looks like Marx to me

I added a picture of Marx in my post in case someone didn't know who I was referring to

Edited by DodgeDusk

It says 'The latest in the Fire Emblem Series', but I guess that doesn't guarantee this is a main series title

It pretty much is a main series title. Its on the 3DS and they even went as far to mention that they kept the artist from Awakening and changed the storywriter.

Wasn't SMT x FE for the Wii U, though?

I don't really think they're the same game

Yes SMT X FE is for the Wii U. These ARE NOT the same game. SMT x FE is a spin off title we know next to nothing about being developed by Atlus. This is being developed by Intelligent Systems.